Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

franciscoalarcon

Well ... It will not be a surprise if I will not get into Cornell, Columbia or SCI-Arc ... (those are the 40% of my applications !!!)

I need a miracle.

Jan 24, 08 2:03 am  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Well it could be worse, a portfolio, recommendations and personal essay that are a six out of six (so to speak) certainly overshadow an obscure essay score that's a three and a half out of six. Just hope your primary application materials really kill.

Jan 24, 08 2:38 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

Y- on the long list of factors...the GRE essay is the last thing to keep you out (still a possibility). I doubt Sci-Arc would care that much.

Is Cornell accredited yet?

Jan 24, 08 6:04 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

YbTH - you applied to RISD? they might not care as much either...

Jan 24, 08 8:17 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

i really wouldn't worry too much about the gre scores. i don't know how i'm going to get through these next couple months either.

i am so burnt out at my job and the sad part is that it's not that bad! it's one of those things, though, where i just don't feel like i'm moving forward at all.

i did the wait last yr. and it was terrible. this time around, however, i have a few more distractions.

the only thing i can suggest to help, is think of all of the stuff you'd like to get done before you get in school because it won't be happening then. hopefully, i'll be putting together a website with my portfolio on it. heh. we'll see if that actually happens.

Jan 24, 08 8:21 am  · 
 · 
nnoraa

ytbth, i wouldn't worry. i bombed my essay section too.

i'm hoping it won't affect us THAT much. or at all. fingers crossed. heh

Jan 24, 08 10:11 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

the "pre-masters bucket list":

sleep
watch 386 movies
go to one of these, how you say?, "gyms"
study all those architects my undergrad profs hated us for not knowing (this one probably wont happen)
be 22 for a couple months
travel to the edge of black sky on sir branson's new spacecraft

Jan 24, 08 10:28 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

toasteroven. Yes I am applying to RISD. Also Columbia ($@#$@), Cornell, SCI-Arc, Parsons, Pratt and Syracuse.

Jan 24, 08 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

well if it makes you feel any better, last year I got into Syracuse & RISD M.Arch with a 3.5 on my essay.

Jan 24, 08 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Why you did not enroll?

Jan 24, 08 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

For a few reasons:

- I'm a resident of California, RISD and Syracuse are very, very expensive.
- I decided to work one more year and make my applications stronger so I can re-apply to schools that I really want to get into.

Jan 24, 08 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

RISD is a good school. I have seen a lot of references. But What about Syracuse? I do not know dates as another schools. Just I will apply because I like the program

Are you applying for SCI-Arc ?

They are amazing. The problem, in my case, the program is really independent and special to transfer in Europe and become Architect over there.

Jan 24, 08 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Why do you like the Syracuse program?

I did not apply to SCI-Arc. I applied to Berkeley, UCLA, Michigan, Cornell, and Virginia Tech.

Jan 24, 08 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

so cornell is accredited now? anyone shed anylight on this?

Jan 24, 08 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

no, it's not.

Jan 24, 08 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

They just had their first graduating class. It might be a few more years until they get accredited.

Jan 24, 08 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

oh, so whats the motive of going there? (not trying to be a dick, just curious).

Jan 24, 08 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

my understanding is that once cornell does get its accreditation (which it will, barring major scandals, within the next two years), prior graduates degrees will be grandfathered and considered accredited.

Jan 24, 08 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

can you grandfather in people who got a degree before the school was accredited (maybe they'll call it "fetaled in")

Jan 24, 08 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I thought Cornell was accredited at one point. What happened?

Jan 24, 08 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

I remember a few months back looking into their program, and their website, at that point, said they were not accredited. Perhaps it was old info. I would've applied for sure if they were.

Jan 24, 08 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

The undergrad prog is accredited. The grad is not and never was. It couldn't have been since they just had their first graduating class which is one of the requirements.

Jan 24, 08 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

asbuckeye07, my gravitation towards Cornell grew after speaking with one of the faculty members. I believe it to have a strong, energetic faculty; it has a small class size of about 13; it's close to NYC, Montreal and Boston; it has a lot of travel opportunities; and I "connected" with the school's mission statement.

Jan 24, 08 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

never isn't correct. I believe they lost their accreditation in the early '90s...before that they were consistently one of the country's top programs. Ask rowe and eisenmann.

Jan 24, 08 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

yeah, it seems like a great program. I just cant swallow the prospect of never being an registered architect in the states.

Jan 24, 08 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

90's? That doesn't make sense to me. I'm under the impression that their M.Arch program a relatively new program.

Yeah, there is that problem, which is why it's not my first pick (assuming that I even get in). We'll see. I have 3-4 months to decide.

Jan 24, 08 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

actually, im 95% sure they've had one...and the 90's is a guess based on historical DI rankings for graduate programs. They have Cornell's program at number one through the early 90's when it fell off the map, and presumably, lost their accred (just my logical assumption).

Jan 24, 08 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

cornell has not had an m.arch before the last couple years, but they've always had an accredited five-year b.arch program, hence the ranking confusion. despite the current non-accreditation status, i don't think getting an m.arch from cornell now will really be an obstacle to eventual registration.

afrdzak, do you have a car? because cornell's 4.5 hrs to nyc, 5 to toronto, 5.5 to montreal, and a whopping 6 (if there's no traffic on the masspike, ha!) to boston. tack on 1-3 hours to each of those if you go by train. ithaca is, as they say, gorges, but it's really not close to much except syracuse and utica.

Jan 24, 08 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

i do have a car, but it's more the fact that I have a much better opportunity to visit those cities and hopefully intern there.

Jan 24, 08 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

tumbleweed......... I think they are going to start at least one week after.

Jan 24, 08 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
Goletian

I think going through applications means consolidating each persons portfolio, letters, GREs, and transcripts into files for review. I know that each school I applied to received eight pieces of mail plus online stuff regarding only my application.

Jan 24, 08 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

yeah, i've been in the process recently of hearing back from schools (who's apps were recieved around the 1st) - that they have all of my stuff (or are missing something).

unfortunately, that doesn't mean we'll necessarily be hearing anything anytime soon. le sigh.

Jan 25, 08 9:00 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

I looked through last year's version of this thread...as much as could take (they were up to 20 something pages at this point)...and they started hearing back early march. Looks like we're in for a long, painful ride (thats what she said?).

Jan 25, 08 9:26 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

SCi Arc was the first to send out letters last year...early March. yep.

Jan 25, 08 9:30 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

last year seemed much more frantic too..this years commiserate posse are cool and collective.

Jan 25, 08 10:47 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

i can change that

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 25, 08 11:57 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

here we go...

..no but seriously, last years was weird year...I am much more calm this year. My portfolio is much better i guess....and I have more "perspective"..

Lets just hope SCI arc's admissions committee can see this...

Jan 25, 08 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

GET ME OUT OF THIS BOX! I'M GONNA DIIIEEEEE.

Jan 25, 08 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

afrdzak,....are you okay? Its just grad school. haha

I am sure if you talk to some old farts on Archinect, you will hear a million reasons why you shouldn't care about Grad school.

Jan 25, 08 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

well, when it's the 2nd step in my career change, it's important.

Jan 25, 08 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

yeah, I know what you are saying....its more than just a career thing too, at least for me.....it is sort of a greater level training that i seek, that is not just justified by the word career. It goes deeper.

Jan 25, 08 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

good mornigs,

Somebody applying to Parsons?

Jan 25, 08 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
futurist

must. finish. folio.

Jan 25, 08 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

I just got a really hard critique about my portfolio from a professor of my university.

The admission are going to be funny!

Jan 25, 08 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

hey ybth.. i applied to parsons.. i hope i get in!

Jan 26, 08 11:43 am  · 
 · 
ripomatic

I know someone mentioned this before, but the more I look at the letters of intent I sent out to schools with earlier deadlines (unfortunately, my top picks), the more I hate them.

they seem much sloppier and less coherent.

bollucks.

Jan 28, 08 12:16 am  · 
 · 
ldaye

anyone applying for MLA? Most of the deadlines later than M arch, I wonder if the admission dates (mid march) are the same?

Jan 28, 08 9:45 am  · 
 · 
andytee

ripomatic, same here. the earlier, more competitive programs got my worst writing, the later the date, the better my statement got.

my portfolio has stayed the same throughout, though not because there isn't any room for improvement.

Jan 28, 08 10:05 am  · 
 · 
ki

"Waiting ............... .

Serene, I fold my hands and wait,
Nor care for wind, nor tide, nor sea;
I rave no more 'gainst time or fate,
For lo! my own shall come to me.

I stay my haste, I make delays,
For what avails this eager pace?
I stand amid the eternal ways,
And what is mine shall know my face.

Asleep, awake, by night or day,
The friends I seek are seeking me;
No wind can drive my bark astray,
Nor change the tide of destiny.

What matter if I stand alone?
I wait with joy the coming years;
My heart shall reap where it hath sown,
And garner up its fruit of tears.

The waters know their own and draw
The brook that springs in yonder height;
So flows the good with equal law
Unto the soul of pure delight.

The stars come nightly to the sky;
The tidal wave unto the sea;
Nor time, nor space, nor deep, nor high,
Can keep my own away from me.

John Burroughs..........."

Jan 28, 08 11:54 am  · 
 · 
hungry

in response to the MLA question, i just finished my applications last week. from what i read from people applying last year, they were mostly hearing mid-late march

Jan 28, 08 1:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: