Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

A V

wow boring day on archinect...

Mar 24, 08 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
bristow

true story

come onnnnnnnn next wave of GSD/yale acceptances!!!!

Mar 24, 08 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
rafelito

how do you know that there's a next wave...

Mar 24, 08 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
bristow

i dont.

just thinking positively!

Mar 24, 08 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

I have a feeling the next few days won't be so boring. It's the 4th week of March - something has to happen!

Mar 24, 08 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
rafelito

ok nice, i'll jump on any glimer of hope...

comeee oonnnnnn nextttt waveeeee!!!!!

Mar 24, 08 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

Next wave of GSD...entirely possible. next wave of yale...not so much. I received my yale rejection this weekend...so

Mar 24, 08 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
A V

asbuck - I'm rooting for you and GSD to be a happy perfect match!

Mar 24, 08 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

thanks AV! me too! GSD was my favorite (outside of princeton) because of boston...so, c'mon gsd

Mar 24, 08 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

dont forget about the berkeley and sci-arc wave this week we hope!

Mar 24, 08 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
archicago

I called GSD this morning, they said they'd be sone with sending out 'all' kinds of letters by the end of today...

Mar 24, 08 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

good luck asbuck.

Mar 24, 08 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
rafelito

Has anyone heard anything from Cornell post-pro program?????

Mar 24, 08 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
quiksilver

skycaptain,

Cambridge is a big factor for me, and so is Yung Ho Chang. I'm interested in globalization and social aspects of architecture, and he seems to be all about that. Also MIT seems like great place to study structure and techtonics. So in these two ways I feel like MIT's program is really grounded.

And not that Yale's isn't, I think one could study any of these things at Yale too, MIT just seems to place a greater emphasis on them.

(correct me anyone if your experience is different)

Which school are you looking at more at the moment, skycaptain? I really want to learn as much as I can about both, because I think they are both great.

Mar 24, 08 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
IlliniRunner

Any Berkeley admitees hear about scholarship/aid offers?

I emailed Jamie Lee (well actually the general archgrad email) about their financial aid offers, but haven't heard back from her/them.

Mar 24, 08 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

NEXT WAVE, NEXT WAVE, NEXT WAVE!!!

Mar 24, 08 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

@illi:

nope, not a peep about $$$. also haven't gotten any aid info from ut austin.

Mar 24, 08 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
ohmygosh

c'monnnn next wave!

Mar 24, 08 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
boondocks

j2h, RE: UCLA f. aid, i called them today actually and they said that the financial aid office should be mailing out the information at the end of this week. if you applied for the university fellowship and got it, you will hear about that, too before the end of the week.

with that schedule, i am a bit puzzled how they expect us to make a decision by 4/15.

Mar 24, 08 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
pbandj

my email from Berkeley said I would get a letter from the grad division in the coming weeks...that will probably have financial aid info. but the cost is already so much lower than anywhere else i applied...

Mar 24, 08 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
pbandj

State schools rock!

Mar 24, 08 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

yeah.... i applied to two state schools, but since i'm out-of-state at both, right now they both cost about twice as much as princeton. yikes.

Mar 24, 08 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

If you applied for FAFSA you should get an email saying your awards available online. Each school has to decide what they want to give out so it may take a week or two after your acceptance to get it. And I second pbandj...State School Rules!

Mar 24, 08 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
ldaye

and you can establish residency in Cali after your first year.... bringing the tuition down even more.

Mar 24, 08 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
jazz32x

bcnDaye... or anyone... Out of curiosity are you sure about that 1 year residency in CA? I only ask because about 2 years ago I heard rumors that the instate req. was going to jump to 2 years sometime in the near future? Was that just talk?

Mar 24, 08 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
pbandj

right, in state status makes it peanuts (big peanuts but nevertheless...) which you can get after a year...also (having attended UCLA as a grad student in the past) they often give you money to cover that first year as out of state...but of course, nothing beats hefty funding from Princeton.

Mar 24, 08 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
ldaye

its on their website ...

http://www.grad.berkeley.edu/admissions/cost_fees.shtml

it basically gives a list of things to do when arriving to Cali.

Mar 24, 08 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
pbandj

I just got this off of the Berkeley site, so still one year it would seem. "In most cases, graduate students can qualify for legal residency by their second year of graduate school, thereby significantly reducing their tuition and fees."

Mar 24, 08 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

do you guys think there's any hope for Berk, VTech or Cornell anymore? Honestly.

Mar 24, 08 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
wittyusername

Berkeley just started sending out admission emails last friday, so there is infinite hope yet still, at least for berkeley.

Mar 24, 08 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
j2h

So is SCI-Arc finally sending out this week?

Mar 24, 08 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
A V

SCI-Arc is sending out first or second week of April.

Mar 24, 08 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
jazz32x

A V : May I ask what you are basing that timeframe on?

Mar 24, 08 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

afrdzak - i hope there's still hope for VTech! i'm still waiting to hear from them.......

Mar 24, 08 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
A V

Thats what JJ Jackman wrote to me and several others.

Mar 24, 08 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Riedell101: i just spoke with their admissions department and they said that they've gone through their first round. The lady also told me that I was neither accepted or declined. They will be going through another review process by mid-April and depending on how many seats are left I still have a chance.

Mar 24, 08 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

that's depressing....

Mar 24, 08 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

AV , afrdzak..I have started to polarize on the UCLA vs sci arc thing...I am now thinking I might be better off at UCLA....of course I haven't received anything form sci arc , so i should probably just shut up.

Mar 24, 08 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

for me, i mean. i hope you make it through the next round... i hope i do too, but i don't have much confidence left

· 
ff33º

Good Luck afrdzak!

· 
A V

oooh whyyyy?

· 
moca

afrdzak, so did they say they mailed out the first round or just have made the first round of decisions?

thank you~

Mar 24, 08 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I dunno, Anna..that "in-state" is starting to look good to me..and I was nominated for a fellowship at UCLA ( who knows if i'll get it)...sci arc is kind of expensive. I am also wondering if UCLA might be a better fit professionally for me. ..don't get me wrong when I see the sci arc website...I totally love the idea..but there are a lot of actors for me to weigh right now.

Mar 24, 08 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

they've mailed out first round.

Mar 24, 08 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

ooops, that is "factors*"^ , not actors to weigh....though that would be a cool job..:-)

Mar 24, 08 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
A V

Yeah, you really can't go wrong with either option. You'll do just fine either way I'm sure.

Mar 24, 08 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
A V

I should have applied to UCLA and Berkeley.. Ughghg early deadlines!

Mar 24, 08 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

Well it looks like I might be a 2009 commiserator... who's coming with me? Just got a rejection from Cornell. I'm sure the GSD is out of the picture for me now as well.

I'm trying to figure out were I went wrong. I wish they would give some reasons for their rejections, instead of just sending a generic letter. It would be nice to know for next time. Even if I get in at UMass, I probably won't go (unless I get a free ride) - I know I can do better and I'm not crazy about 3 more years at a rural campus. My grades and GRE were good so I must have really screwed something up with my portfolio and/or essay.

Mar 24, 08 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

cou2,
I know how you feel.....I went 0 for 4 last year (frickin' iveis). This process of evaluation is very valuable. You will see in a year how much you know ..and how to pitch your portfolio. I think you will bounce back strong ..and kick as next year. Its tough, there is littl rhyme or reason and and I woudl NOT lower standards, but perhaps give yourself more options next time. remember also, that there good things to learn at say the BAC or a summer program that will make you a better MArch student..so its not over..just changing abit

Mar 24, 08 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

Dont let it bring you down cou2.. the admittance process is so goddamn arbitrary.. i wish i knew what went on during the deliberation process. ugh

Mar 24, 08 3:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: