Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

ff33Āŗ

I am changing my name to ArchiPendejo

Mar 17, 08 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
C. Leigh

Just got waitlisted at UT Austin via email. Now, how do I get off of the waitlist and into the school?

Any ideas?

Mar 17, 08 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

been waiting on news....finally got some....wish it had been good.....rejection from UIC.....via the mail man.....blah.

Mar 17, 08 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
rafelito

jamón... morcilla... queso manchego... pan..
congris.. yuca al mojo .. jaajAJAJajaAJaj

Mar 17, 08 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
C. Leigh

Oh, and congrats YbTH!

Mar 17, 08 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
rafelito

masita de puerco.. mojito cubano... rabo encendido...

este blog y esta ansiedad me han dado ganas de comeer

Mar 17, 08 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

hahahaha.... postmarked on March 10th.

ey rafaelito now i am echandome a chato of vino tinto and eating some jamon that my mom sent me from Spain. :)

Mar 17, 08 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

jamon all the way from spain?

Mar 17, 08 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Yes. Just paid 500% or 1000% less than in an organic supermarket.

Mar 17, 08 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
hokay

Anyone have any insight at the program USC. I applied without knowing to much about the school, just a gut feeling that I would like it. So far its the only school Ive heard but I don't know that much about it. They offered my some money so I'm for sure checking it out. Has anyone heard great or awful things about the program?

Mar 17, 08 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
dietc0ke

i heard if you are one of the top students, you can stay at the Gamble House or something. I don't know if that is true, but it might be kinda cool.

Mar 17, 08 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
wittyusername

Anyone hear anything about Berkeley yet? or Columbia? The anticipation is killing me!

Mar 17, 08 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
uhhhhh

BOYFRIEND GOT INTO GSD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 17, 08 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
uhhhhh

dammit! the rest of my long 'woooop' got cut off . . .

Mar 17, 08 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
GinaGage

i don't think it's necessarily the top students who stay at the gamble house. but i know there is an application process. you might be more likely to stay there if you're studying historic preservation...

Mar 17, 08 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

hey uhhh, was this by mail only? or had he/did he recieve a phone call/email?

and by the way Congrats!...to him

Mar 17, 08 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
uhhhhh

by mail only. received today. he did not receive an email or phone call or anything beforehand. it was for the M.Des program.

he actually called them today before receipt of his package and they said that they are not done sending out acceptances, and that they hope to get them all out by the next friday.

Mar 17, 08 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
uhhhhh

wow. my english has apparently started to decompose. let's try this again:

By mail only and received today. He did not receive an email or phonecall beforehand. He applied to the M.Des program.

He actually called them today before receipt of his package and was told that they are not done sending out acceptances but that they hope to get them all out by next Friday.

i'm not even sure that was grammatically correct. anyhow . . .woop woop! now if only cooper news would start to come in . . .

Mar 17, 08 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
oaktree6

Hey everyone,

I'm also waiting for the GSD to get to me. I've heard from the AA, UCLA, and Columbia (all accepted - the AA kinda accepted me :) Thegradcafe.com shows that a lot of MArch I students got notices but not many Architecture & urban Design students reported. So here's to waiting...

Mar 17, 08 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
oaktree6

congrats to everyone, btw :)

Mar 17, 08 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
ohmygosh

yeah! i got into PARSONS! wahooooo! a large package came in the mail and i was soooo excited! YEAH!

and, a letter from Cornell today: waitlisted. this is okay...

Mar 17, 08 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

do they by chance go in alphabetical order by last name? If that's the case, I can understand why I'm waiting so f*cking long to hear anything.

Mar 17, 08 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

congrats to uuuh's bf and to omg!

Mar 17, 08 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

afrdzak is next!

Mar 17, 08 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

sigh*

please excuse my language

Mar 17, 08 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

afrdzak, I know you said this before, but would you got umich?

Mar 17, 08 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

if it's the only school I got into? I'm not sure yet. I have many factors to think about when it comes to going to school out-of-state.

Mar 17, 08 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
S>O

UT and Oregon today!!!
Just waiting on Berkeley now.

Mar 17, 08 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

...go to* umich?

Mar 17, 08 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

Nice SO!

Mar 17, 08 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

Nice SO!

Mar 17, 08 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
GDCCS

doin_time - I'm in the same boat. I got the call from Penn MLa but applied for the dual degree w/ architecture. They didn't know the answer, so I'm stuck waiting on the offical package.

ohmygosh - I will politely request my spot at Cornell be reserved for you.

Congrats all!

Mar 17, 08 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
atet89

so what are my odds?..... got a RISD rejection today still waiting on Berkeley, UPENN, and Cincy.....anyone heard from Berkeley yet?

Mar 17, 08 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
wittyusername

ahhhhhh crap! I just checked the columbia online application, and apparently they received all my materials EXCEPT for one letter of rec. Im assuming thats why I havent received any word from them yet. Would they process the application even if there was only one letter missing? This is so dissapointing!

Mar 17, 08 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
hungry

i hope they would, witty! i can't imagine them disregarding it if they like everything else about you!

i got waitlisted today at UW for land arch :( i was waiting for either an acceptance or a rejection, so now i don't know what to do. is it normal for people to accept at another school and then take it back if they get into their waitlist? i feel bad doing something like that, but UW was my first choice...it's like they're peeling off the bandaid SUPER slowly now

Mar 17, 08 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
GDCCS

witty - I am afraid for the worst but hope for the best. The same thing happened to me last year. At worst you can apply again next year, it worked for me. The strange thing is that the Columbia website lists my application as being 2 rec's short of complete even though I received a confirmation email from them mid-february.

Mar 17, 08 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
wittyusername

hmmm. Maybe its a mistake on the columbia website then, although the absence of an email or letter is still disconcerting. Im going to call them in the morning tomorrow to see whats up. Thanks for the info though GDCCS, it helps to know that other people have had trouble with the columbia website.

Mar 17, 08 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Send an email witty. They're effective.

Mar 17, 08 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

witty, one of my recs never came through to columbia (at least according to the website) but i got an acceptance over the weekend. good luck!

Mar 18, 08 12:00 am  · 
 · 
Tartar Treats

Oaktree - In the same boat, seems like the M.Arch I applicants hear first?? My columbia application was missing information but the school still declared it "complete" and I got a confirmation and admissions decision. I would call them xacto

Mar 18, 08 5:37 am  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

a call is not inappropriate for that circumstance witty.

Mar 18, 08 8:20 am  · 
 · 
doin_time

@GDCCS

i hope it doesn't take longer for the dual degree folks to hear - i'm sure i have a bleeding ulcer already

but the fact that people keep mentioning they got phone calls for Penn's MLA makes me worry for myself

Mar 18, 08 8:36 am  · 
 · 
Riedell101

asking for your opinions.....

what do you guys think about the distance m.arch at the BAC?

i would MUCH rather be in a traditional program, but if i can't get in anywhere..... do you think this is even plausable? working full time and taking classes online?

Mar 18, 08 9:02 am  · 
 · 
stonerock

If you still plan on working full time, why don't you take another year and apply again, especially since you would MUCH rather be in a traditional program.

Mar 18, 08 9:05 am  · 
 · 
Riedell101

i applied last year too, and didn't get in anywhere. revamped everything, thought i would get in this year, but have gotten 2 rejections out of 4, 1 of which was from the "worst" program i applied to... just trying to get an option b together other than just do it all again next year....

Mar 18, 08 9:09 am  · 
 · 
doin_time

@Riedell 101

I agree with stonerock. You won't get the benefits of studio in a distance program, and you seem to realize that. If you can't take part in the studio culture, you're missing out on at least half of what you are meant to gain from a graduate design program.

Mar 18, 08 9:25 am  · 
 · 
Riedell101

yea, i know. i agree. without the studio culture, it'd be hard and that was my favorite part of undergrad..... i just don't know how many times i can apply and reapply and keep getting rejected.... it hurts

Mar 18, 08 9:39 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

Rie, yeah I agree with above sentiments. Dont sell yourself short. Those schools you applied to are nothing to sneeze at (UIC is having a sort of resurgence, I might apply there next year). And Maryland doesnt get enough credit, but is a good program (Ive worked with a couple good UM March grads). Just take a year off, beef up your portfolio, work on maybe getting some good/better recs.

Mar 18, 08 9:42 am  · 
 · 
skycaptain

I just got wait-listed to Yale. Anyone been through this?

Mar 18, 08 9:44 am  · 
 · 
Fraggle

asbuck:

what is the deal with UIC, I haven't heard or met anyone from there before. I'd love to live in Chicago.

Mar 18, 08 9:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: