Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

ripomatic

i do, but with ff33's violent streak i probably won't even make it to the fall.

Mar 17, 08 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

asbuck,
I dunno..it is hard to gauges schools...and well when you are in a relationship with another designer, you get confused as to how to approach the whole thing. It is like, from a distance, one school looks liek it is this, but you don't know, yet you apply anyway...maybe she thought UCLA was too conservative of a place..just like some think sci arc is too weird. Plus we were not sure we wanted to be at the same school...as we were hoping to hedge our skills and get exposrue through other programs, albeit vicariously...

Mar 17, 08 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

druvius - yes yes and yes. it took about three hours for me to go from "hell yeah, i got in!!" to "oh shit, i am going to embarass myself...."

i keep trying to remind myself that admissions people have a lot of experience with this and probably wouldn't let you in if they didn't think you could handle it, but... yeah. i am totally intimidated by my soon-to-be-peers.

Mar 17, 08 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

Druvius, are you an imposter?

Mar 17, 08 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

ff33, I have no idea if this statement is correct or not...but isnt oregon a fairly traditional program?

Mar 17, 08 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

ff: It's week-by-week.

· 
ff33º

rip, how about a metaphorical duel?..next fall's final juries..we can see if the Ives "are all that". We can post a first semester "design off", and vote on how comiseraters faired?

· 
asbuckeye07

btw, everyone will embarrass themselves in school.. it happens

Mar 17, 08 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

fear is an excellent teaching mechanism

Mar 17, 08 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
doin_time

i just hope after 8 years of working in a fairly conventional firm i'll need like half a semester to jump start my imagination again

Mar 17, 08 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

asbuck,
dude I don't really know..we all have our reasons for picking places...

I heard once, that Columbia loses a few kids at the beginning of every "first semester"...because they freak out..( no sleep etc.) ..man what a waste...

asbuck, you should wait out side and see if anyone can't deal ..then "jump in" and take their place..

Mar 17, 08 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

ff33, how about a metaphysical duel instead?

my empty space and points of light, against your parallel selves that can never meet.

Mar 17, 08 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

ff33, thats cool, was just wondering cause I might apply there next year.

oh yeah... the ol' bait-n-switch ... thats how I got into undergrad

Mar 17, 08 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
Tartar Treats

if you dont doubt yourself you leave no room for improvement and your just way too cocky and full of yourself to learn anything. Everyone should feel like an imposter to some extent, grad should be something new. Thats how I see it

Mar 17, 08 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

not doubting myself and being too cocky is whet led me to 4 rejections. WOOHOO!

Mar 17, 08 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
kramer2nd

does anyone know how much uPenn costs?

Mar 17, 08 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

when I went o for 4 , it was deifinitely a wake up call...I think i was high form the Solar D win..and needed to be put in my place. you are right though, Tartar, humilty is crucial...

Mar 17, 08 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

rip, ok...sounds like a 'decon' vs 'phenomenology' debate....I like it.

Mar 17, 08 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

Just got a rejection letter from RISD in the mail:( If I didn't get in there it's hard for me to imagine getting into the GSD or Cornell. I'd like to think there is still some chance. Still waiting on UMass.

Mar 17, 08 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

asbuckeye- have you gotten accepted anywhere yet?

Mar 17, 08 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

nope

Mar 17, 08 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

keep your hopes up, they are still coming in!

Mar 17, 08 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

yeah. if its any consolation... I'd really LIKE to get accepted.

Mar 17, 08 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
doin_time

@kramer2nd

UPenn was $35,640 for 2007-2008; count on some inflation for 08-09.

Mar 17, 08 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
uhhhhh

any cooper union news??

Mar 17, 08 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

i suddenly remember why i didn't apply to upenn.

Mar 17, 08 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

doin_time - for U Penn I applied for an M Arch I, no nothin yet. You?

Mar 17, 08 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
doin_time

@conormac

dual degree in landscape architecture and historic preservation - got an in from HP 2-3 weeks ago via phone - nothing on the MLA yet

here's hoping for tomorrow afternoon

Mar 17, 08 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

UMass may end up being my only choice, unless I decide to apply to the BAC. I could just start early and put a ton of time into my portfolio and essay this time and aim high again for fall 2009. Wouldn't have to worry about wasting time on the GRE this time around. I could always apply to structural engineering programs. Many engineering programs have spring admissions.

My original goal was to get my M.Arch, work for a while, get my license. Then find a company that would help pay for school and go part time to get a masters in structural or architectural engineering. Maybe I'll just have to do the eng. degree first. Any thoughts on what sequence would be easier/better? Does anyone know if civil engineering programs are easier to get into?

Mar 17, 08 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
uhhhhh

no cooper pooper scooper dooper union news from anyone? vidler hasn't sneezed in anyone's general direction? yes? no? maybe so?

Mar 17, 08 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
Tartar Treats

so has anyone heard from GSD who solely applied to the MAUD program?

Mar 17, 08 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Got in Syracuse. I did not send any scholarship form but they offer me 6500USD and English classes in summer.

Mar 17, 08 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

Yeah Yb, way to go man

Mar 17, 08 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

congrats YbTH!

Mar 17, 08 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

awesome, great job. the first of several, I'm sure.

Mar 17, 08 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

congrats ybth!...I know someone that goes there...he says it is a high quality school

Mar 17, 08 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Felicidades!

Mar 17, 08 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

congrats!

Mar 17, 08 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

Ithica will be quite a change from spain :)

Mar 17, 08 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Thanks thanks I will invite you to a cup of wine and jamon serrano tapa someday.

Mar 17, 08 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

mmm... jamon...

Mar 17, 08 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

but then again, I think I would rather invite you to come to Southern California, haha.

Mar 17, 08 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

now you can tell your govt. to calm down and give you teh damn scholarship...

Mar 17, 08 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
dietc0ke

Way to go YbTH!

Mar 17, 08 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

yes ff. haha

Mar 17, 08 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

no you can choose a real name as well...something like "Archicrackheadfromspain"

Mar 17, 08 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

"ArchMatador"

Mar 17, 08 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

ArquitectoTorero is better

Mar 17, 08 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

thats cool also afrd. actually I like more than ArquitectoTorero.

Mar 17, 08 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

"Cojones of Architecture"

Mar 17, 08 5:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: