Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

jsun

anymore word on V.tech? I have not seen a change on the website? how about CU Denver?

Mar 17, 08 10:01 am  · 
 · 
boxy

idob, there is no minimum score on the GRE for those schools.

Mar 17, 08 10:13 am  · 
 · 
nia

cornell or columbia I need to know your opinions

Mar 17, 08 10:24 am  · 
 · 
cou2

Happy St. Patty's day everyone.

Mar 17, 08 10:26 am  · 
 · 
cou2

It would be nice to get some good news to celebrate tonight!

Mar 17, 08 10:27 am  · 
 · 
smithwillb

nia - in the same boat. they are both really expensive. who can justify spending that kind of money? anyone? geesh, this is going to be hard.

Mar 17, 08 10:28 am  · 
 · 
Fraggle

nia, one thing you could consider is the cost of living. NY city is probably way more expensive in that regard.

Mar 17, 08 10:31 am  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

nia- accreditation at Cornell (for the masters anyway) is new isn't it? That was what made me uncomfortable about applyin there.

Mar 17, 08 10:35 am  · 
 · 
nia

me either...Druv

Mar 17, 08 10:36 am  · 
 · 
nia

smith

did you have no financial aid from cornell?

Mar 17, 08 10:38 am  · 
 · 
smithwillb

no, they gave me almost 12K a year. so, i guess that's good. but not as good as other offers. so that put's their tuition at 24K a year...but then it's 3.5 years and not 3 years like UVa or Columbia...i think i'm going to call them and bargain with them. i wonder if they'll respond...

do they even have a dean?

Mar 17, 08 10:40 am  · 
 · 
modernmonk

@nia: ithaca is not nyc.

Mar 17, 08 10:41 am  · 
 · 
nia

i'm also uncomfortable about that.. modernmonk

Mar 17, 08 10:46 am  · 
 · 
smithwillb

what kind of offers did other people get from Cornell?

Mar 17, 08 10:46 am  · 
 · 
Riedell101

wow. it just took me FOREVER to catch up on everything i missed over the weekend! congrats to every one who got acceptances!! and i hope the rest of us start hearing soon......

Mar 17, 08 11:00 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

nia.... how did you hear about Cornell?

I didn't hear from any school! WTF!

Mar 17, 08 11:02 am  · 
 · 
nia

I've got an e-mail about open house first

Mar 17, 08 11:04 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

:_______________(

Mar 17, 08 11:08 am  · 
 · 
ripomatic

quick unrelated side note:

Lauren Bacall

Shimon Peres

first cousins.

who knew?

Mar 17, 08 11:15 am  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

ybth- is your columbia decision showing up online yet?

mine isnt!

oh NO

Mar 17, 08 11:17 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Mine isn't too. But I don't have any confidence in get in.

I have lower verbal score in GRE than 450 therefore, lower TOEFL than 100 iBT.

Mar 17, 08 11:25 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

or vice versa

Mar 17, 08 11:26 am  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

any opinions on Upenn vs. Columbia?

Mar 17, 08 11:35 am  · 
 · 
smithwillb

have people heard from UPENN? nothing here.

Mar 17, 08 11:38 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

helloartichoke. did you talk to columbia? I sent an email last Friday

Mar 17, 08 11:40 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

wow. Just receive an email from columbia...

Your application is complete. All decisions are made by April 1

Mar 17, 08 11:41 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

jsun, did you really apply to CU Denver?

YBTH, you can see that yo are anxious...UI send you much luck this week....I think this is your week...haha ..I think sci arc emails might start to trickle soon

...as for UPENN vs COLUMBIA... that is a tough call but I have a feeling UPENN is going to be the coolest place over the next couple years. Their website is mind blowing....and so is the price tag.

I would choose UPENN, myself.

Mar 17, 08 11:54 am  · 
 · 
ripomatic

YbTH. don't worry about your verbal score, man. English is your second language, and unless the admissions monkeys completely skip your portfolio (it was the one with all the great prose and poetry...right?) I think they'll be very impressed with your english.

Mar 17, 08 11:57 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

ff. thank you for your support... hahaha Is too hard to hear how people are getting in anywhere and my government is calling me every day asking by the admissions. If it takes more time I will lost the scholarship!

Mar 17, 08 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
jsun

Yes, I have heard mixed things about the program, but I know someone out there now who seems to like it, that is why I applied.

Mar 17, 08 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

rip, concerning ybth...
I just hope they don't over look him because of it..I had to withdraw my app, because my Verbal was 400, I didn;t study... ybth , you should call them and ask ...

Mar 17, 08 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

jsun...email me if you want to talk about it...I have some tips on how to make that school work better for you , due to your interest....and uh, I am pretty sure you got in, even if I have never seen you portfolio,...LOL

Mar 17, 08 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

thank you ripo... You should be in the admissions comite hahahaha

Mar 17, 08 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
idob

Hey

Does anyone know if I can ask for a scholarship, Now,
After I got accepted?

(I didnt ask for it when I first applied..)

Thanks.

Mar 17, 08 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

no i haven't contacted columbia, but people on here got an email to check their online status.

i didnt get that.

crap.

Mar 17, 08 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Ok people... it's my birthday today. Can we root for an acceptance package in the mail today?

idob, you can always try.

Mar 17, 08 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

GO AFRDZAK!
remind us where you are waiting from again?

Mar 17, 08 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

UCLA, Berkely, Virginia Tech and Cornell. I've only heard good news from UMich thus far.

Mar 17, 08 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

afrdzak - i have my fingers crossed for you!

where are you hoping to hear from?

Mar 17, 08 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

afrdzak. happy Bday :)

Mar 17, 08 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

I didn't apply to Columbia, mainly because I didn't want to live in NYC(might change my mind at some point). But I remeber seeing one ranking that put Columbia way ahead of all the other schools including the GSD. I know everyone has an opinion on the relevance of certain rankings, but I figured I'd bring it up anyways. I can't rememer who did the rankings but wasn't the D.I. list. It was based on the research and academics more than anything else. They gave each school points and Columbia had about twice as many as any other school.

Mar 17, 08 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

hm, i never turned in my scholarship thing for Columbia because i never thought i would get in. well, now my palms are sweaty b/c i got in with no $$. i live in NYC, maybe i should go over there and talk to them in person? it's going to be so hard for them to reject this face! i'll bring flowers and mylar.

Mar 17, 08 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

that ranking is just the opinion of one man.

Mar 17, 08 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

Happy Birthday afrdzak!! Good Luck! I hope you get good news today!

Mar 17, 08 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

I heard they confiscate mylar at the door of Avery.

Mar 17, 08 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

For those applying to UC, just got an email from Kim Lawson saying they're now at the beginning of their admissions offer process and that all candidates will receive correspondence by mid-April.

Mar 17, 08 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
idob

afrdzak. happy Bday from me as well!

And tnx for the tip

(Its a great tip for life in general)

"You can always try"

tnx

Ido

· 
jhooper

heh, i had to sneak into avery library once when i was working in NY to get some sandborn maps, a woman i worked with gave me her alumni ID to get in (i had a beard going at the time and it still worked)

· 
jhooper

and i was dressed for work in some kakhis and shirt, i felt uber preppy

Mar 17, 08 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

ive already heard from U of Cincy. thank god it was an acceptane. their open house is today and tomorrow, but i wont make it. I'm going to try to get up there next week. these dates are ridiculous. Most schools want to have an answer by the first week of april!

Mar 17, 08 1:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: