Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

chopsky

oh. strange.

Mar 17, 08 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

yeah - i have a feeling uc is waiting to hear back from some of the acceptances before they make their second round of acceptances/rejections. that's kind of what happened last yr.

yeah, schools want to know pretty early... i've got 2 by april first and i haven't even heard a peep out of the other two i applied to.

Mar 17, 08 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

what do people think of u of c? any opinions on the co-op program?

Mar 17, 08 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
bristow

any new news from the GSD for anybody?

im now expecting a small rejection letter in the mail...

but tales of "late" acceptance letters would reaaaaaaaaaaly be awesome to hear right about now!

Mar 17, 08 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
A V

i would personally never want to go to u. of c because of location. Ughghgh can you imagine spending the next 5 years there or so? goddddd no.

Mar 17, 08 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

they don't really mince words at columbia:

the acceptance letter was short and to the point and void of accolades. they pretty much said

" hey, you're in, and we're a good school because we don't take many people. you owe us 18,000 come august. sincerely,"

that was about it.

hm.

Mar 17, 08 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
stonerock

I've been in cincy for the past six years - and yes, it's not nyc by any means, but if you search, some "cool" locations do exist.

Both of my college roommates went through DAAP and landed some great co-ops, abroad and on the coasts. It is a great strength of UC.

Mar 17, 08 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

i think the coop program is spectacular. i personally have met people that cooped in hilton head, chicago, nyc, sf and hong kong - and that was like the 5-6 people i knew from there. and they had the opportunity to switch it up. it didn't seem like it was a problem to not stick to the same company.

yeah, cincinnati is not the most attractive city, but it's super cheap to live in. and with cooping, the amount of time you're there is pretty short - esp. since they're on quarters.

design-wise... well, that's been commented on previously.

Mar 17, 08 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

doin_time you're in philly? I'm kind of excited about upenn but am not as familliar as I am w boston schools... do you crash their lectures/galleries ever??

Mar 17, 08 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

if you live in Cincy for too long , do you develop a midwesterner's sense of practicality and earnestness?

Mar 17, 08 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
stonerock

well, I was raised in Ohio, so it's ingrained.

Mar 17, 08 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

go bengals!

Mar 17, 08 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
bristow

hmmm the lack of resoponses to my GSD question is not a good sign....

Mar 17, 08 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

conormac, you got into penn?

Mar 17, 08 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

Bris, I was hoping for the late acceptance thing. I guess I look at it like a 10% chance that they just happened to not call/email me for some reason (ie, im not counting on it). But, last year, there were reports of GSD acceptances without phone/email. Also, there's a suspicious Harvard posting on the grad cafe today.

In regards to ohio...going to school there, as a general statement, I would suggest anyone with a sane mentality stay as FAR AWAY from the midwest as humanly possible.

Mar 17, 08 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

any thoughts on playing hard ball with schools to get more money?

for instance, i was offered a hefty scholarship to one school, can i tell another school that in hopes of getting a more significant offer?

Mar 17, 08 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

no no word yet, just staying positive

what's so suspicious about the gradcafe posting I wonder...

Mar 17, 08 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
pbandj

okay, here's my two cents on the GSD situation. I have a significant other who was accepted 2 years ago and consequently many friends there at the moment. When they were all admitted 2 years ago, several people found out on the 17th, St. Patrick's Day... Also, some people got called, some did not. It's pretty random. but if you know anything about the institution, that's par for the course. Let's just say it's not a well oiled machine... also, what they do is they entrust the calling of people to various professors, generally the one who defended your application to the faculty. Sometimes Mori sensei calls and sometimes just the professor. Given that, and the nature of the beast, I'd say anyone could still hear at any time, in just about any format you can think of...I'd like to be informed by carrier pigeon personally...

Mar 17, 08 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

"Harvard University, GSD Architecture And Urban Design, Masters Accepted via Postal Service on 17 Mar 2008 I 17 Mar 2008 dated 03/14"

...just that there's no way to tell if it is for March I or if the person was contacted via phone or email beforehand

Mar 17, 08 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

thanks pbanddj, glimmers of hope are always welcome. your theory makes some sense to me cause my coworker, who worked for Mori and was accepted, was called directly by her.

Mar 17, 08 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
ohmygosh

artichoke -- i personally think it's okay to ask a school for more money if you are really interested in the program. i have actually done that -- another school offered me a better deal financially so i explained the situation to the school i wanted to go to, was very sincere about my interest in the program and ... surprise! they found more money for me. it usually happens as the deadlines to accept/decline offers are up and money becomes available from those who have declined admission.

Mar 17, 08 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

my gf just got into Oregon. Letter in the mail today..

which is glitchey cuz, I am headed to LA...hmmm

Mar 17, 08 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
pbandj

sure asbuck, i'm happy to provide a little hope...my significant other was called by both Mori and a professor on the same day (which, although he can't remember exactly, was sometime around now, maybe even a little later)...but lots of people got in and never received a call at all and it had nothing to do with their awesomeness...

· 
snarkitekt

asbuck, that gradcafe post looks like an MAUD notification and not MArch - pbandj is spot-on about the GSD's total lack of organizational efficiency though. i am consistently shocked at how a school that big keeps functioning when its such a sloppy operation overall. i know they sent out a lot of packages friday afternoon.....

· 
asbuckeye07

shit, I dont care how they notify me. just do it like a bandaid...RIGHT OFF!

yeah snar, I'm afraid you're right. And dealing with the administrative issues of a large university? I went to OSU for undergrad, so that wont be a problem for me.

Mar 17, 08 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

how long does mail take from cambridge to dc?

Mar 17, 08 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

just got the uc email as well.

Mar 17, 08 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
Tartar Treats

Just thought Id chime in as well, I think its great that I know I'm not the only one looking at thegradcafe.com more than 2 times an hour... I got an acceptance pdf letter from Columbia on Friday for the M.S. in architecture and urban design, and still waiting to hear from the GSD (For the MAUD and the MLAUD)

Mar 17, 08 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
pbandj

I would also add the incoming MArch class at GSD is quite large, about 60 I think, so I've heard they admit around 100 or so.. they have so many different programs with different levels, AP, MArch II, DDES, landscape, planning, etc. that there's a lot of calling to do...

well, I'm definitely making myself feel better : )

· 
snarkitekt

well a lot of it gets routed through new hampshire, so.... 3-4 days? maybe longer? i've sent things to my parents (alexandria va) that didn't get there for a week. the northeast mail routing doesn't make any sense.

· 
asbuckeye07

hah, good question. I think it took my portfolio no more than 3 days. Mail on the eastern seaboard is pretty efficient.

ff33, what're you going to do bout your gf going to oregon (that's Eugene right?) ? I might be facing a similar problem either in 4 months or a year and 4 months.

· 
asbuckeye07

snar, that may be true for usps...but, if its good news from the GSD (hopefully) it would be coming in a fedex package, in which case rerouting doesnt happen. again, speculation

Mar 17, 08 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

and pbandj, you're making me feel better too :)

Mar 17, 08 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
Tartar Treats

anyone hear from Penn, Yale, or Berkeley? It looked like most of the M.ARCH First Professional Programs were all informed, but I didn't see any postings for M.Arch II Post Professional. Or maybe I'm just hoping for the best, well Columbia and Princeton were pretty straight forward, hope the GSD will be delivering a large number of acceptances today and/or this week...!

Mar 17, 08 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

asbuck,

I dunno if she WILL go, but it is a 2 yr stint, and she might get antsy ..she says another year of work and portfolio prep in LA might also be good. we;'ll see what happens...we both applied to sci arc...but no word yet

Mar 17, 08 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

asbuck, my package from GSD wasn't fedex, just regular old usps snail mail.

Mar 17, 08 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

I just want my package from the gsd already. i got the email on tuesday, but no follow up.

I have grad school blue balls.

Mar 17, 08 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

I think there is still hope in GSD as long as ppl have yet to get rejected officially. The first rejection post will be the death knell..

Mar 17, 08 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
Tartar Treats

u apply for m.arch ripomatic?

Mar 17, 08 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

yeah m.arch 1, read the earlier posts, you clown. it's all there.

Mar 17, 08 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
pbandj

Druvius, maybe...maybe not...if it's joe shmo professor's job to inform you and he/she's off "overseeing a project" in Dubai, then I think it's not out of the realm of possibility that you could get accepted after someone else gets rejected... believe me, it's a silly place...

(now I'm getting downright heretical)

Mar 17, 08 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

haha rip.

ff33, well goodluck with that man. why didnt she just apply to ucla? if ya dont mind me asking.

snar, damn. so I can sit on my hands for a bit.

Mar 17, 08 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
doin_time

@conormac

Yes, I have lived in Philly for nine years or so.

I've been to a few lectures and seen some work there. The first semester M.Arch's do these crazy mobiles out of playing cards lately. Weird but pretty. The first semester MLA students do these really cool site section drawings that look REALLY fun. Alot of stuff about mapping terrain and developing an intuition for analyzing site conditions.

Did you apply for M.Arch or MLA and are you accepted yet? Sorry if you mentioned already - I'm a space cadet for the next 24 hours and I can't remember my name half the time.

The excessive caffeine and nicotine can't be helping...

Mar 17, 08 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

YES!

Toshiko just called me and it was everything I hoped it would be.

she must be reading archinect.

Mar 17, 08 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

ooof, and I was so awkward on the phone, but I guess it's hard not to be awkward.

Mar 17, 08 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
doin_time

@ripomatic

awkward? you should have heard me on the phone when the historic preservation people at penn called to tell me i was in

i sounded like a complete fool

you'd have thought i had never had a phone call in my whole life before..

Mar 17, 08 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
andytee

Ouch.. So far two rejections from schools I thought I had a good shot at, UW Seattle and RISD. Nothing from MIT, GSD, Berkeley, or UMASS Amherst.. but I am figuring everything but Amherst a pretty big long shot at this point. Stranger things have happened I suppose - fingers locked on crossed.

Mar 17, 08 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

haha rip....you are so funny today...
you must be "off the meds"...eat some chocolate!... you clown...

p.s. i am stilling challenging you Ivey Leagers to a duel.

Mar 17, 08 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

... this is a bit of a subject change.. Do any acceptees have what my prof calls "imposter syndrome" and is worried about getting his/her ass handed to them this fall?

Mar 17, 08 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
doin_time

@Druvius

huh? what's that?

Mar 17, 08 2:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: