Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

Riedell101

wow! congratulations smithwillb! you've got quite a lot of schools to choose from!! i'm just hoping to get in at all, let alone have to decide between multiple schools!!

Mar 12, 08 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
rabbits

yeah, thats nutso. when is cornell supposed to notify? I wonder what that program will be like sans moshen. did they do a prospective student open house?

Mar 12, 08 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
hokay

I too am one that has read these posts ALL the time but has yet to post. I haven't heard from any schools and I am really hoping to get into Pratt (Parsons or RISD would be just fine too!) haha. Really any school would be great. Im starting to lose my cool and I just can't take it anymore. Trying to keep my hopes up but the truth is is that I just think I am going to be receiving a pile of rejection letters. Depressing.

A million hours of portfolio time = 7 pieces of shredded rejection letters.

Mar 12, 08 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

Congrats everyone!

Smith... way to go with all those acceptances!!! Sooo. what school is at the top of the list so far?

Mar 12, 08 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

hokay. It is too soon to get depressing. If after a month you are not in any school ... It is the time.

Mar 12, 08 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
Brendan

liss- I am tempted to feel the same way, but none of the schools I applied to seem to have finished their acceptances. I also know what you mean about portfolio time spent. But I have an Econ/Int'l Affairs background and didn't get back to the US until late November. I had to get a portfolio together from scratch before Jan 15 deadlines. Even if I don't get in, I know I have a foundation that I can build on for a better portfolio next year.

The great challenge is to not get ahead of myself and assume I didn't get in anywhere, when I haven't had a single rejection [yet]. I save rejection letters though -- it might be amusing some time down the line.

Mar 12, 08 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
A V

Yeah a friend of mine got rejected from Wash. U and after several years they came to him asking him to give lectures there.... so it would be nice to keep any rejections and laugh about them when we all become the supreme ultra -famous starchitects!! heheh

Mar 12, 08 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
_juut

what school are you coming from citrus? major?

Mar 12, 08 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Slainte, no you must be thinking of another portfolio, don't think mine had much yellow.

So this is a bit embarrassing, but the call came from Yung Ho Chang himself, but he sounded really young on the phone and didn't say his name at first, so as he tried to make a bit of small talk with me, asking me where I was from etc, I asked him if he was a student at MIT (I’m an idiot I know but my head was spinning) so after a period of silence he was like, “no I’m Yung Ho Chang”, and I shut up and thanked him politely.

Mar 12, 08 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

B.S. Arch, Portland State University

Mar 12, 08 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

what he asked?

Mar 12, 08 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

i'm a little alarmed myself. i really didn't think i had a chance...either that or i became extremely diffident at the last minute.

right now, UVa is my first choice, followed by Umich, UT and VTech.

Mar 12, 08 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
GinaGage

does anyone without an architecture background currently have a job doing cad for an architecture firm?

Mar 12, 08 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
_juut

Slainte...was the yellow portfolio posted to archinect or did you see it in the flesh?

sorry if i'm a little behind with the posting histories

Mar 12, 08 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
rob(E)

to those that wondered my cincy email was personalized pdf with a scholarship offer...however those shitty bastards want me to accept/decline by mar 31! also it was into march2...peace

shout out to those that like me havent heard from:
Columbia
Harvard
UT
Sci-arc

Congrats to those who have heard!

Mar 12, 08 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

Congrats citrus!

Mar 13, 08 12:18 am  · 
 · 
thenew

I imagine getting my acceptance to the GSD in a sort of John-Waters-cameo; the post man, dressed in all white, gallops through a grassy lawn, with a knowing gesture on his face; He reaches into a potato sack, shuffles through Bed Bath and Beyond coupons and other garbage, teases me by handing me one, and finally pulls out a large, glistening FedEx package. "Congratulations," he tells me, eagerly awaiting me to tear through the bubble wrap right then and there. I ravage the package, to discover a postcard with an electronically embedded message from Ms. Mori, "Welcome to Harvard!"

"Thank you, thank you, Mr. Postman! What a delightful day! A delightful day!" I then bring the letter into my sun-doused kitchen, and eat hard-boiled eggs, one after the other, while reading the note over and over again.

Mar 13, 08 1:42 am  · 
 · 
A V

thenew - hahah welcome to my life! (I'm from Baltimore, this kind of stuff really happens) heheheh

Mar 13, 08 4:11 am  · 
 · 
thenew

I wanna go to Baltimore :( (makes sad/despaired jerri blank face)

Mar 13, 08 4:14 am  · 
 · 
Fraggle

_juut , I saw the "yellow accent" portfolio on archinect. I really liked it!

Mar 13, 08 8:50 am  · 
 · 
doin_time

Any more news anyone? I'm getting too old for this level of constant anxiety.

Mar 13, 08 9:36 am  · 
 · 
rafelito

I've been reading this blog for a week,
i registered this morning, couldn't stand it any more, I needed to talk.

it seems to me that the word "commiserate" has something to do with the word "missery"...

Mar 13, 08 9:38 am  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

doin_time, i know exactly what you mean about all this damn waiting! at this point i feel like i've had a stomachache for three weeks. (of course some of that might be the hangover from three straight days of weeknight partying.....ugh)

Mar 13, 08 9:48 am  · 
 · 
doin_time

@mrbren-

since the beginning of this week i have rapidly devolved into a state of "if i haven't heard by now i'm not getting in" myself

i don't remember being this stressed when i was applying to undergrad, but then again i was just a country bumpkin at the time

Mar 13, 08 9:49 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

I will join you all in the group misery. still no word from any of my schools. at this point i just want the rejection letters, enough of this!

Mar 13, 08 9:56 am  · 
 · 
rafelito

What have I done wrong?

Mar 13, 08 10:01 am  · 
 · 
rose4401

so where did you apply, rafelito

Mar 13, 08 10:05 am  · 
 · 
Riedell101

no news. no news. no news. just tell me already!!

Mar 13, 08 10:17 am  · 
 · 
rafelito

M.Arch 2

GSD
Cornell
Princeton
YSOA

Mar 13, 08 10:18 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

rafe... I feel EXACTLY the same way ... and your schools are my schools exactly, just switch cornell with uva... and im march 1.

Mar 13, 08 10:19 am  · 
 · 
la_la

... I've also not heard anything. I believe it's still too early to write them all off! I applied to SCI-arc, Oregon, MIT [well, we can probably write that one off] and UT-Austin. gradcafe says that UT-Austin notified some people today-ish last year for acceptances...

Mar 13, 08 10:21 am  · 
 · 
stargazer

MIT X 2 (me and my gf)!!!

Mar 13, 08 10:21 am  · 
 · 
A V

Wow I feel so left out of your commiserating - I have no desire to stay on the east coast and I really just can't wait to get out! Good luck to all of you ivy-league hopefuls though :]

Mar 13, 08 10:22 am  · 
 · 
A V

i can however, commiserate about SCI_Arc though!

Mar 13, 08 10:24 am  · 
 · 
rafelito

I keep thinking about my essays, my answers in the GRE, my portfolio, what went wrong?

The problem is not rejection, the problem is not knowing.

Mar 13, 08 10:25 am  · 
 · 
rafelito

this blog should be named "Pessimists anonymous"

Mar 13, 08 10:27 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

A V, if all follows its logical conclusion, and this year is not my year, then I think next year I will limit my applications to warm weather climates.

Yeah rafe I think that's anyone's guess. I mean I felt the same way. Though my app had no holes whatsoever. But when you're dealing with such low acceptance rates, I mean, they might as well through darts.

Mar 13, 08 10:27 am  · 
 · 
rose4401

The big one I'm still waiting on is uPenn. (I've written off MIT, too, it was a long shot anyways.) It's getting irritating for sure

Mar 13, 08 10:28 am  · 
 · 
Riedell101

hmm, i still have a problem with rejection! this is my second go round. i don't know how many years i can do this in a row! so, not knowing definitely is awful, but rejection is still right up there!

· 
bravobb

rafelito, exactly the same feeling as you!

· 
Fraggle

rafelito did you do poorly on the GRE?

Mar 13, 08 10:30 am  · 
 · 
Riedell101

what would you consider 'doing poorly on the GRE'?

Mar 13, 08 10:35 am  · 
 · 
Fraggle

hehe good point Riedell101! I guess i just worry about the GRE YIKES!

Mar 13, 08 10:35 am  · 
 · 
rabbits

I fuckin bombed the GRE, still gor into cornell and yale, tho

Mar 13, 08 10:37 am  · 
 · 
rabbits

gor=got.

· 
rafelito

haha, everything is related to my univesities.
Now people mention Harvard or Yale in random conversations anywhere... I saw GSD acronym in a letters soup...
sudenly i watched a documentary about yale in the tv...
etc. etc.

· 
asbuckeye07

GRE = irrelevant

Mar 13, 08 10:38 am  · 
 · 
rafelito

qtitave I got a 670 but poorly on the rest.. 420 and 3.5

Mar 13, 08 10:39 am  · 
 · 
ripomatic

I heard Corbusier took the GREs like 6 times, but couldn't break an 800. What and idiot.

Mar 13, 08 10:39 am  · 
 · 
ripomatic

and = an

Mar 13, 08 10:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: