Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

snarkitekt

when feeling stressed about admissions, just watch this.

when he gets to the part with the records, just repeat over and over:
the gsd? just a school!

Mar 13, 08 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

ff33, yeah...there's always that. but then, forever, you will be known as "that guy". haha, kidding, i'd take anything at this point. its 2am, last call, and ball state's looking doable ;)

· 
franciscoalarcon

wow ks you are breaking all! you got in my universities! hahaha

· 
rafelito

i think m.arch 2 are been noticed only by regular mail....... .. ..

Mar 13, 08 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
ks1000

haha, i am dumbfounded

Mar 13, 08 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

My on line account of columbia website is showing exactly the same than before... Anyways I do not have so many hopes to get in columbia with my GRE and TOEFL .... :(

Mar 13, 08 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
sufj

i have placed a lot of eggs in my proverbial gsapp basket, so I am really hoping for good news... hopefully it won't be too much longer!

Mar 13, 08 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

ey ks. which is your background? may be you has responded this question hundreds of times.... haha

Mar 13, 08 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
ks1000

I have a B.A. in architecture. A four year lib. arts degree.

Mar 13, 08 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

Asbuck,
Well, I hear Ball state is under rated.....and remember there are other options like "transferring appplciations" , finishing IDP and just applying next year, trying a summer program to get more studio time..etc..

?

Mar 13, 08 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

sigh.

what is these "transferring applications" you speak of?

Mar 13, 08 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
stargazer

i checked my status for GSAPP
haha it's still imcomplete (since i m non-us, i never bother to submit any financial aid application)

Mar 13, 08 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

otto where are you from?

Mar 13, 08 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

asbuck,
most schools, although rare will accept applications for transfer students...and what i said befroe about waitlisting...although waitlisting sucks...it can be a sign that you have a virtual foot in teh door...so depending your diligence...it can be a relevant evidence for a transfer application.

Mar 13, 08 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

yeah well just have to put that in the waitansee category. any ideas on when rejection letters start rolling in? this is getting ridiculous. its been 3 weeks since i've had to put up with this nonsense

Mar 13, 08 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

asbuck
,...further...depending on how far along you are on your internship...you might be happier studying , no matter where it is....rather than doing autocad for another year (for like whatever you measley wage most cad monkey's make)..me i am so anxious to get out of the field and finish up ...being an unlicensed designer kind of sucks

Mar 13, 08 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

there is always that. but then there's the crushing prospect of having to go through this all over again. and another year sitting infront of a computer.

Mar 13, 08 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
sufj

ks, did you just post your gsapp acceptance to gradcafe, or is that someone else's acceptance?

Mar 13, 08 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

dude, I know....I can;t commiserate for another year.

Mar 13, 08 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

asbuckeye - coming from someone who is in the middle of reapplying, it's not all bad. i promise. and without any rejections yet - you're luckily not there yet.

if i remember, you graduated fairly recently? i just completed my idp and i've been out since 2004, so getting it over with now or later really doesn't make a difference you still gotta do it.

when i discovered things weren't going as planned, i sat down and made some goals to give me something to do for the next year (besides revamping the portfolio, etc.). i think that made it easier for me to see this past year as an opportunity vs. wasting time.

or you could move to europe!

Mar 13, 08 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

lauren, who i am going to move to europe with now that you've been accepted?!?!

Mar 13, 08 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

yeah I hear ya Laur! that last point, soooo was thinking that... unfortunately im sort of tied down on the east coast :( for now

to be honest, not too worried about being rejected, just hate this in limbo stage.

ff33, any word yet?

Mar 13, 08 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

Yeah - I'm trying to figure out what I should do as well if I don't get into my top schools. I'm still holding out some hope for RISD and Cornell. I could always go to the UMass (if I'm accepted there) or The BAC. I just have this feeling that I didn't bust my ass through college to get good grades, study hard for the GRE, and put a ton of time into my portfolio just to go to a school anyone can get into. I am referring to the BAC there. Not sure about how selective UMass is?

I think if I reapply next year, I might apply to some structural or architectural engineering programs as well. It might be a better choice for me. When I applied to Cornell I put down civil engineering as secondary choice... but that program is probably even harder to get into than architecture.

Mar 13, 08 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
jhooper

asbuck-
I'm in a pretty similar boat, haven't heard anything from any of my schools. yale, gsd, princeton, cornell... What gives, i think gmail is getting pissed at me for refreshing so often. Have you heard anything either way on yours?

Mar 13, 08 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

i'll go with you this summer or next summer - how about south america instead? that would be fun.

Mar 13, 08 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

yup, same exact boat man. no, I havent heard anything at all. keep checking my mail, refreshing gmail, freaking out everytime i get a call. the closest to anything was my house phone getting a "private number" missed call a couple days ago. Professor Mori trying to reach me to no avail. ugh, do you even have to ask? of course it was

Mar 13, 08 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

ok, next summer we'll go to south america, and hopefully it'll be after we both finish 2 semesters of school!!!

Mar 13, 08 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

asbuck...
no word..just some rumblings from UCLA..they emailed me and said I needed to get my act together becasue i was nominated for a Fellowship. I think that is good news, becasue why would they bother me if I was reject, ..I dunno

Laurilan's comments are right on though..this last year has been a pinnacle for me..

Mar 13, 08 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

yea south america! i've always wanted to go to patagonia, or brazil, or argentina, or not america :)

Mar 13, 08 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

ff33, that sounds like a 90% in to me. goodluck!

Mar 13, 08 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
A V

Ughgh just got up and went to the kitchen and came back to a missed call from an unknown number! Now I can't help but wonder who that was from!

Mar 13, 08 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

it was from ff33 looking for a duel.

Mar 13, 08 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

I have also applied to Yale, GSD, Princeton, etc... with no word either way... and yes it's eating me up inside. But as I've been telling my friends (who are also applicants)... you're not rejected, til you're rejected.

...but then you're REJECTED! (sigh)

Mar 13, 08 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

oh A V, your an ivey leaguer? I better git ma musket.

Mar 13, 08 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

Whose gonna be the first brave soul to post a rejection?

Mar 13, 08 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
thenew

ugh columbia has started to notify MArch I applicants?
shouldn't MArch II applicants be notified sooner as we start in the SUMMER?
this whole process, so annoying.

Mar 13, 08 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

oh, ill post all mine, whenever they come

Mar 13, 08 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

Me too.

Mar 13, 08 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
A V

ff33 - No ivy leages for me. I'm trying to get as far away from the east coast as possible. I posted all my school and my admission statuses on my profile. Right now the only school that I havent yet heard from and I actually care about is SCI-Arc... If I don't get in there with substantial scholarships, I will be going to UW :]

Mar 13, 08 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
dietc0ke

i kinda got rejected from the AA. They said my BA in Architecture wasn't a good enough degree. So far i got into GSD and Tokyo Institute of Technology (full ride) and am still waiting to hear anything from RISD, Yale, Columbia, and MIT

Mar 13, 08 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
A V

dietcoke - do you have to speak japanese to go to the Tokyo Institute?? If not then I would apply there in a heartbeat!

Mar 13, 08 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

A V i was just kiddin with you...I am rooting for you actually!!!
Thats not a way to go UW would be awesome...

and if we both get into SCI ARC...I'll be happy to see you at the open house.

Mar 13, 08 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

i already posted my rejection, university of maryland.....

so, asbuckeye07, you're in for south america too?

Mar 13, 08 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

not a bad way to go *

Mar 13, 08 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

passport's ready

Mar 13, 08 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
A V

hehhee thanks ff33- it seems ripomatic was trying to get us to duel heheh. I am visiting SCI-Arc on April 2nd actually!

Good luck with SCI-Arc! woooo LA!

· 
dietc0ke

No, it is an International Masters Program. I don't speak Japanese really at all. It is all supposed to be taught in English. I don't know..it seems like a rad program with some really good faculty and student work. It is a 2 year, Master's of Engineering though...so i don't really know if that will give me some problems with accredidation in the future but the program is designed to be completely international with students from all over the world.

· 
A V

hmmm well... maybe I'll try to spend a semester there or something. I love love love love Japan!

Mar 13, 08 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
bristow

anyone anyone

date for GSD open house in april for accepted students?

anyone have a clue?

Mar 13, 08 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

A V

Its strange but there are not of SCI arc acceptees on last years thread...grad cafe either..so i am lost as to when they will notify...I think they are later..1st week of April

Mar 13, 08 2:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: