Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

dietc0ke

That's great about RISD! Congrats!

Mar 12, 08 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
dietc0ke

also, i got the gsd email yesterday and i am pretty sure it isn't fake.

Mar 12, 08 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
dietc0ke

i hope not anyways

Mar 12, 08 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

still no admissions letters for me
waiting on UofW, Pratt, Parsons, Cincy, CCNY, UToronto.
i know i'm in at IIT cause you can check on their website, but no official letter from them.
quite irritating all this...

Mar 12, 08 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

wow, congrats to all those cincy emails that just came through.
that's pretty yuge. i wonder if they send them all at once.

Mar 12, 08 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
ohmygosh

chopsky -- I am right there with you. Waiting on Pratt, Parsons, and CCNY as well. And also Berkeley, Cornell, Columbia, and CCA. Nothing, nothing.

I'm totally building character right now, or something.

Mar 12, 08 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
rose4401

chopsky - no, they don't. Kim Lawson in sending the emails, and each person's individual acceptance letter pdf has to be attached to each email, I think. I actually emailed her with the "do you think you could tell me if you've sent out all the acceptances already" attitude, and she emailed me back with the acceptance email plus the attached letter, and the pdf file had my last name so it can't be the same email all at once for everyone.

Mar 12, 08 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
doin_time

i looked at UToronto for a hot minute but their fees are insane

Mar 12, 08 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
sufj

wow rose, talk about a satisfying response to an email! congrats :)

Mar 12, 08 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
ldaye

doin_time....
heard a rumor for MLA I at UVA... only 11 students accepted.... and for MLA II post prof. only 2.

Mar 12, 08 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

man, today is not going well, the red cross just rejected me too....not enough iron in my blood to donate today

Mar 12, 08 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
doin_time

@bcnDaye

holy shit only 13? that's crazy

Mar 12, 08 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

haha, rose, that's great. congrats.
i reckon i'll just wait it out though. next thing myself and everyone else are emailing her and making her job a living hell.

doin_time: $20,000 a year. it's expensive, but compared to some other schools it's not that bad.

Mar 12, 08 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
doin_time

@chopsky

i was just referring to the application fees
$100CAD for application
$120CAD for "portfolio review fee"

on another note
i still can't believe that about uva - that has to be a 7-10% acceptance rate - am i naive to think that's insane?

Mar 12, 08 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

i bet that's how large the class is. which means they probably accepted 20 or so or maybe more.

Mar 12, 08 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

oh yeh doin_time, completely. absolute RIP.
plus I'm pretty sure I won't get in there. we have a very different grade system where I am (south africa) and they werent willing to recognise it. we're marked extremely strictly here and according to US grades i dont have a 3.0 GPA (which only the top 1% literally get here).
i tried anyway cause toronto is a city i'd love to be in.

Mar 12, 08 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
stonerock

bcnDyne - where/how did you find out the info about UVa?

Mar 12, 08 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
doin_time

it just seems like they're setting themselves up to be under-enrolled unless the waitlist is miles long

and surely uva doesn't have a funding problem - i wouldn't think so anyway

it's just odd

Mar 12, 08 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
sufj

fyi someone just posted on thegradcafe that they got into UT Austin M.ArchI via email today... I am also waiting for Austin. Thats one of the first signs of life for M.Arch I at Austin that I've come across so far.

Mar 12, 08 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

i got an email from them on FEB 27th. I'm M.Arch 1.

Mar 12, 08 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
sufj

oh wow! i stand corrected... geez I hope I hear something soon then :/

Mar 12, 08 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
jazz32x

Those numbers for UVA MLA seem about right from what I can remember of the 4th floor seating arrangments. Also the graduating classes were definitely in the single digits.

Mar 12, 08 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
ldaye

stonerock: a friend of someone i know that applied there. haha

the only reason i give it some credit is the exactness of the info....

11 students for first professional program (3 of them are international student), and 2 students for post professional student (all of them US students)

i'm sure that there are a few waitlist students

but when we are talking about MLA there is Harvard, Penn and for me the next tier is UVA, Berkeley.... they are all very competitive and small programs compared to arch.

Mar 12, 08 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
stonerock

Thanks for the information, bcnDaye. I'll keep that in mind, and if I can make their open house, I'll know for sure.

Mar 12, 08 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
A V

So is anyone making traveling plans now that we've been hearing from schools? Im visiting SCI-Arc from April 1- April 3. Havent heard anyhting form them but I just wanna go to LA.

Mar 12, 08 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
ks1000

yea, I'm trying to get time-off work to go visit schools

Mar 12, 08 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

hahaha AV. Hope to hear news from SCI before april

Mar 12, 08 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

ks did you apply for M.Arch I at RISD?

Mar 12, 08 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
ks1000

yea, M. Arch I

Mar 12, 08 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
A V

Just got accpeted to VA tech via postal! Yay!

Mar 12, 08 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Well I will be away from this thread:
Checking Columbia On Line Application:

"An error has occurred. You either have more than one connection to this website or you did not properly log out of your last session. Please close all browser windows, then open a new browser window to access this site. Also, please be sure to logout of all future sessions to prevent this situation. Once logged in, you can logout by clicking on the 'logout' link located in the upper right hand corner of the page."

Mar 12, 08 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
ks1000

I think I found out earlier b/c of the fellowship so I'm sure more acceptances will be going out in the next week

Mar 12, 08 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

congrats, A V!!! arch background? i'm waiting to hear from them myself.....

Mar 12, 08 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

that's great AV - did they include any financial information? I applied there as well.....juuuuuust waiting.

Mar 12, 08 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
A V

Riedell- No arch background. I have Bachelor of Fine Arts. Applied to M. Arch 1 program. Good luck! Go home and check your mail!

Mar 12, 08 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
A V

smith- I have no clue about the financial stuff. My mail comes to my grandparents house so my grandfather just called me and told me I was accepted. I dont know about anything else. I will post when I find out though. Good luck!

Mar 12, 08 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
rabbits

Chicago mail fing' sucks... where is my yay or nay from the gsd?

Mar 12, 08 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
d.sull

MIT!!

Mar 12, 08 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
ks1000

congrats!

Mar 12, 08 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
bristow

i second rabbits comment BIG TIME

i am not holding my breath for any kind of timely mailing out here in chicago.

Mar 12, 08 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
d.sull

thanks ks!

Mar 12, 08 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Phone call from MIT as well. Accepted to M.Arch I.

Mar 12, 08 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Congradulations d.sull, I've heard they only accept like 20 a year.

Mar 12, 08 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
d.sull

citrus.grey-

oh nice, congrats.... hey, did you get the date on the open house? I spaced.

Mar 12, 08 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Haha, no I didn't get much of anything either, my head was spinning. The guy on the phone was a student who gave me his email so I can try to get the date from him. If not I'm sure they'll be sending us something official within the next few days.

Mar 12, 08 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Oh and are you M.Arch of SMarchS?

Mar 12, 08 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

Rabbits I live in Boston, literally, and have recieved nothing from any schools.

I did get a call on my cell at work from a number I didn't know, but it was NSTAR.

Mar 12, 08 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
Fraggle

citrus.grey, is your portfolio the one who used yellow as the main color of accent? I remember really liking that portfolio...wrong one? btw CONGRATS!

Mar 12, 08 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

ooo, someone heard from VA Tech, congrats A V.

Mar 12, 08 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

Virginia Tech acceptance letter just came in the mail; it's from the graduate school, not the architecture school.

but that's pennies compared to all of these Harvard, Yale, Princeton and MIT acceptances - way to go, people.

round-up:

Clemson - Accepted, mail(2/21)
Texas - Accepted, email (2/27)
UVa - Accepted, phone call (3/3)
UMich - Accepted, mail (3/3)
WashU St. Louis - Accepted, email + mail (3/5)
NC State - Accepted, email (3/10)
VTech - Accepted, mail (3/12)
Columbia - ?
Cornell - ?
UPenn - ?
UFlorida - ?

Mar 12, 08 5:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: