Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

asbuckeye07

could be worse hello, im still completely in the dark. although implicit rejections from all

Mar 12, 08 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

non-arch background

Mar 12, 08 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

asbuck...from all?

Mar 12, 08 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

asbuckeye, don't lose hope yet. We're not even half-way through March.

Mar 12, 08 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

directly... havent heard a THING implicitly... gsd's my only hope. But lots have heard from them, including a coworker, so I know my chaces there are slim as well. Was NOT expecting this. this will take some time.

Mar 12, 08 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

hope wont be lost until its official, no worries. what sucks is its looking bad for ALL schools. unfortunately I dont have one left that looks promising.

Mar 12, 08 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

hello- if you decide to go to Ga Tech, one of my friends will be in the program with you.... i have an arch background and was a little worried when i saw you had been accepted since i didn't think we were supposed to hear til the end of march. so i'm somewhat calmer now.....kinda.

Mar 12, 08 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

riedell - good to hear!

i just got into Cincy...EXCELLENT.

Mar 12, 08 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

congrats artichoke. awesome school

Mar 12, 08 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

congrats!!!

Mar 12, 08 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
rose4401

how did you hear, artichoke?

Mar 12, 08 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

asbuck, I cant help to identify with you on all this.
My record form last year:

Princeton,GSD,MIT,Columbia

0 for 4

It ain't over yet though!

(I should have studied for the GRE...so stupid of me.)

Mar 12, 08 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

email from Kim Lawson

Mar 12, 08 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

congrats artichoke!!

Mar 12, 08 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

yeah ff33, pretty much the same situation. not to toot my horn or anything, but i was solid. and my gre was decent. and I had recs from people teaching at the F'n schools currently! Must be my portfolio is alot crappier than I thought. Oh well, there's always being a cad-monkey for another year

Mar 12, 08 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
kramer2nd

congrats ellen

Mar 12, 08 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

how ya doin kramer? havent heard from you lately..

Mar 12, 08 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

artichoke: cincy is great...but ohio? you should print out the email, shred it, and then mail it back to them.

Mar 12, 08 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Congradtulations artichoke.

Mar 12, 08 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

only spelled right next time.

Mar 12, 08 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
doin_time

i'm right on the verge of going postal

seriously

there's really no excuse for not doing this all online/via email

i really thought i would hear from GSD (MLA) - i had a good essay, good GRE, what i *thought* was a good portfolio, and letters from a gsd grad and a recent loeb fellow

i just don't get it.

can anyone mail me a valium?

Mar 12, 08 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

congrats artichoke! uc is a good school - and the coop gives you the opportunity to NOT stay in ohio. you might even get to see different parts of the world! and you get to discover what the real arch. world is like before you leave school.

for some reason i feel like gatech is doing this now as well.

Mar 12, 08 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

hey man, it happens. I thought I was a lock. I had a rec from a prof that GSD came to HIM to teach there. shit happens. badly for you and I it appears

Mar 12, 08 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
thenew

Okay just spoke to the GSD admissions office. Here's the scoop:

Apparently, the do NOT send emails notifying applicants of decisions. All decisions will reach applicants via postal mail.

Also, they are NOT finished mailing out acceptance packages. For ANY program.

Hope this makes some of you feel better!

Mar 12, 08 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

then how do you explain the GSD emails?

Mar 12, 08 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
ha_no

did everyone get a rather annoying email from embark.com?

Mar 12, 08 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
kramer2nd

they are probably just telling people that who haven't gotten emails yet

Mar 12, 08 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
rose4401

from embark just now? no

Mar 12, 08 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

Alright someone fess up...this all sounds fishy! Last year they called people, this year they're sending emails, they're sending regular mail....whats the deal?

Mostafavi's talking about implementing sustainable principles into the program but they're sending paper letters through the postal service...thats not sustainable.

Maybe we need some real news from someone going there right now...can Quilian help us out?

Mar 12, 08 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

I dont know what all this gsd controversy is about. but my coworker got a direct call from Mori. so they're obviously in the process of dolling out acceptances. the emails are probably just informal things, in leu of phone calls. chill out people.

Mar 12, 08 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

TheNew, I love you.

no email from embark..

My friend who used to work in an admissions office told me last night that there are 2 rounds:

1 -ppl the school really wants and worries will be scooped up by a competitor

2 - everyone else.

Judging from the fact that I am asking them to overlook a significantly damageing feshman & sophemore year GPA, I am counting on being in the second round.

PS if we don't get in, we've got one more year to save - and think of how cool we will be with our new diesels & paper-thin macs in '09 ;)

Mar 12, 08 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
ohmygosh

In the spirit of commiseration...Arghoooooooh, Hello! I applied to seven schools and haven't heard from a single one, yet.

But I am convinced that the more times I refresh my browser, the better chance I have at being accepted to school. Duh.

Well, here I am, I'm joining you all, going crazy, thanks, great!

Mar 12, 08 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
GinaGage

thank you thenew!

Mar 12, 08 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

conormac, you bring uo good points....I do need a new diesel and pape thin mac...why am I doing this again?

Mar 12, 08 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

i received a phone call, followed by a package in the mail from the GSD - i have not received any form of email.

however, i would doubt that someone would be sending out fake emails, or that someone would lie about getting accepted. i am inclined to believe the school may send out emails to everyone that they cannot call.

Mar 12, 08 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

That all seems to make sense about GSD for now. Thanks conormac and thenew. Now I can get back to coloring my master planning diagrams in peace!! I love the working world of architecture!!

Mar 12, 08 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
sufj

thanks thenew and conormac, that is all some helpful and somewhat reassuring info.

keep hope alive.

Mar 12, 08 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
sufj

xacto, what program did you apply to... when did you hear? and congrats!

Mar 12, 08 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
ks1000

not so much as a peep from Columbia yet... curious.

Mar 12, 08 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
ks1000

Got into RISD with 10k fellowship/year!

Mar 12, 08 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

Nothing in the mail. No e-mails either. Kinda disappointing. I really thought I would have heard from UMass by now. Anyone else applying there?

Mar 12, 08 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
bristow

sorry for the disbelief in the emails guys...

just got an acceptance email to U of Cincinatti for M ARCH 1!

it just seems so informal....

Mar 12, 08 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

Ks1000 congrats - How did RISD notify you? I applied there too. What's your background?

Mar 12, 08 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
rose4401

Just got the cincinnati email

Mar 12, 08 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
sufj

yeah, nothing out of columbia... Isn't this the first year they are completely online? maybe I am wrong, not positive...

From what I understood, I think they're supposed to be sending out emails when your admission status updates on the website, and then you can go check the decision by logging in yourself... And thats supposed to happen by april 1.

Mar 12, 08 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

congrats!!!

Mar 12, 08 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
rose4401

i just got the cincinnati email

Mar 12, 08 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
SV0123

anyone know anything about MIT?

· 
rose4401

oops, didn't mean to post twice sorry

· 
ks1000

Thanks Cou!
just got a phone call on my lunch break. I have a BA in Architecture

Mar 12, 08 2:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: