Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

smithwillb

Is anyone going to Michigan's open house?

Mar 4, 08 9:33 am  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

laurilan, march 23 does seem awfully soon! what are you going to do if you haven't heard back from everyone by then? in my case, ut austin wants to know by april 15th, but the official letter says that you can actually get that extended if you really need to - have you tried calling the admissions folks at lawrence?

Mar 4, 08 9:40 am  · 
 · 
cou2

Congrats to everyone who recieved acceptances - thats really cool!

Mar 4, 08 9:41 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

nah, but i did ask them some other questions. they were very responsive so i'm pretty sure they'll extend it if i ask.

i'm waiting to see when i might go up there before asking that among some other questions.

i'm hoping (fingers crossed) that i'll hear back before then. i think the reason why they want to know so soon is that the program is kind of different. instead of 2 yrs of fall/spring, it goes 4 semesters in a row starting may 14th (!!).

Mar 4, 08 9:59 am  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

cou2 - have you already heard from UT austin?

Mar 4, 08 10:02 am  · 
 · 
ks1000

i hope it doesnt mean Parsons is a definite no just 'cause I haven't gotten a phone call yet =T

Mar 4, 08 10:18 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Actually, I think the admissions letters, emails and calls will be during the whole month. Even until late April.

Still being too early. Next week, I think is gonna be the storm of news

Mar 4, 08 10:22 am  · 
 · 
chopsky

ks1000? I think 1 person has heard from them that we know about.

Mar 4, 08 10:25 am  · 
 · 
ks1000

ah k. that's comforting. thanks

Mar 4, 08 10:32 am  · 
 · 
cou2

helloarthichoke, I didn't apply to UT Austin - kinda wished I had. There are a lot of other schools that I wished I'd applied to. Maybe next time(if I don't end up going to school this fall). I'm expecting my letters to start rolling in next week ... maybe this week if I'm lucky.

Mar 4, 08 10:57 am  · 
 · 
jhooper

Is anyone applying to Cincy? I'm asking because I seem to remember them pulling a bitchy move the other year and making people accept an offer before hearing back from other schools... One of the many reasons why i'm not there any more.

Mar 4, 08 11:14 am  · 
 · 
chopsky

I applied to Cincy.

Mar 4, 08 11:18 am  · 
 · 
jhooper

have you heard anything about dates?

Mar 4, 08 11:20 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

me too - and i applied last yr (waitlisted). they pulled another shitty move this year as well with changing their application date sometime late last fall, but not on all of their websites.

i'm not so sure if i want to go there anymore - bureaucracy seems to be a major problem.

Mar 4, 08 11:22 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

cincy's great from the professional perspective. however, IMO, their design work is extremely lacking. I went to their fall open house and their thesis projects look like stuff we did as sophomores.

Mar 4, 08 11:28 am  · 
 · 
jhooper

yeah, the last group of thesis was pretty weak, actually even worse the year before. And yes, bureaucracy is a big problem... well not so much bureaucracy as much as the administration doesn't know what the school needs

Mar 4, 08 11:31 am  · 
 · 
jhooper

even worse *was* ... passive tense much?

Mar 4, 08 11:35 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

yeah i went to the 06 open house. they had some pretty weak stuff. if you're into the professional side of things that'd be the place. but if you feel like being anything other than a project manager, look elsewhere

Mar 4, 08 11:42 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

the work i saw back in the day (04-05) was pretty decent. i haven't kept up with their work recently. and this was undergrad. seemed similar, albeit more technical, than my undergrad program.

and again... in the end all of it is really how hard you push yourself.

i do like the opportunity to go coop in some crazy place not in the us. that's a big draw for me. i'd eventually like to live out of the us.

Mar 4, 08 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

i ate so much chocolate for breakfast, it's crazy.

Mar 4, 08 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
Fraggle

I'm in shock, I thought that cincy was a great all around school. I know alot of people don't put much merit in the rankings but I thought cincy was ranked 2nd to Harvard in the category of what Professionals thought about the schools design.

Mar 4, 08 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
jhooper

well read that last statement and see what the people are saying - professional. I don't begrudge my undergrad there, i think i was still able to push some things as far as design, again, get out what you put in.

I didn't mean to turn this into a cincy bashing thread, i was just wondering about their dates

Mar 4, 08 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

laurilan, then it sounds like cincy would be agood fit for you!

jhop, agreed, this shouldnt be about bashing UC. Its a great school. people should just know what they're getting into. there's pros and cons of focusing on either professional or academic or design ... just depends what you want out of it all.

Mar 4, 08 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
A V

ripomatic- my company provides us with endless streams of chocolate so I had way too much this morning as well. Ughh 8+ hours a day at a desk and unlimited amounts of junk food = getting so so so unhealthy.

· 
ff33Āŗ

rip,

are you high?

· 
futurist

anyone have any insights into Iowa State?

Mar 4, 08 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
A V

my only insight on iowa state is 'wow I would never want to live there.'

Mar 4, 08 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

they're the cyclones right?

Mar 4, 08 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

hahahahaha a v

Mar 4, 08 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

not yet...well, sort of.

i'm on a goofy amount of painkillers for my back, but I don't think that has anything to do with eating an entire Lindt 70% Cocoa chocolate bar. It's just that I bought the bar yesterday and didn't get around to eating it...

When I got in this morning, it was sitting there, looking at me. I started unwrapping it with my eyes and It started unwrapping me with Its eyes. What happened next is a blur, but there was foil everywhere, it's beautiful swiss packaging in shambles.

Mar 4, 08 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
jhooper

no, it's true, aimes smells like pigs

and the arch building is in the middle of nowhere

Mar 4, 08 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

yum chocolate.... all i have around is hot chocolate... not the same.

Mar 4, 08 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
futurist

Oddly enough, I like the idea of having that much open space after living on the 17th floor of a highrise in a shoebox where we can't see the stars because of the ambient light.

Asia is awesome and I love it, but I would have no problem stretching my legs a bit for a few years in the Midwest.

Mar 4, 08 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

i am from the south and went to school in the midwest. when i graduated i lived on the east coast. There are so many benefits of the south and midwest that are often overlooked: low cost of living (bigger apt for half cost) , beautiful landscape, good looking and nice people, great social events, ease of getting around, more laid back lifestyle etc. I liked the east coast as well, but it became very stressful just trying to get from one place to the next on time. People worked hard, but seemed to forget to play hard after....

I think I'd like to spend some time on the west coast, i think it could be the best of both worlds.

Mar 4, 08 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

anyway, i applied across the country but i too am not someone who HAS to be in a high rise...

Mar 4, 08 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
bristow

has anyone else applied/hear back from UBC?

I just heard back and got in.

Wanted to know also if anyone had any insights/thoughts on the school.

It was a last minute application for me....

Mar 4, 08 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
lllll

bristow-

i too was accepted to UBC, and am currently trying to decide between it and ut austin. ubc, which only offers a graduate architecture program, is a smaller school with about 45 students per year; the closer contact with professors would likely make for better references in the job market. from what i can tell, there is a lot of room for independent study. i was also struck by the diversity of students--the admissions committee actively seeks students from non-architecture backgrounds (roughly 75 % of the class was what i was told). it's also a great chance to live in an internationally known city while paying very low tuition. be sure to check out the ubc website for projects/websites/work from current students. just go to the 'people' section and browse. that's my 2 cents.

Mar 4, 08 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
EarlyPM

Hi Bristow,

I also got into UBC. I have not visited, and will do so before accepting, but my impression is it is a very solid program, strong on the theory side, with a good balance of tech stuff and craft. Ray Cole is very into sustainable issues, so I think a lot of that goes on there. And of course Vancouver would be a great town to live in. Do a search on the discussions (under British Columbia and UBC) and you'll find some comments from those who went there.

To be honest, one of the major limiting factors to where I applied (ten schools) was where my scientist husband looking for a post-doc could possibly get a job, which is how I noticed UBC in the first place.

Are you American? I'm a little troubled by the lack of funding for international students, especially as the dollar tanks.

Mar 4, 08 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

This morning I wake up to find mail in my letterbox from Pratt. I almost died.
They sent me a catalog. A DAMN catalog. STOP TAUNTING ME!!!

Mar 4, 08 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
futurist

I know, every large envelope I see in the mailbox quickens my heartbeat a bit.

Mar 4, 08 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
ks1000

such a quiet day for acceptances..

Mar 4, 08 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
A V

I know! It really is.. I drove home on my lunch break to check my mail and I got nothing! Boooo.

I think most mail arrives on mondays and towards the end of the week though.

Mar 4, 08 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
A V

But still a phonecall or an email would be nice!

Mar 4, 08 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
bristow

In regards to the UBC comments,

I am an american as well and the US dollar factor is very discouraging.

However I too have heard incredible things about the program, but I am curious/worried about how "aware" firms/design community in the states is of UBC

Im thinking already, yes, already about jobs post masters...etc

Im curious, those of you who applied to UBC and got in/didnt get in...what are some of the other schools on your list?

Finally, any CURRENT AMERICAN UBC student with input?

Mar 4, 08 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

If you find the US/Canadian dollar exchange rate discouraging, try the South African/US exchange rate at 7 Rands to 1 Dollar.

Makes things a little crap on my side

Mar 4, 08 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

apologies...it's now 7.90 to the dollar

Mar 4, 08 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
EarlyPM

Bristow,

The current American UBC students won't be on this thread. You might try starting a thread on the academics group.

Mar 4, 08 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

ahhh. not hearing anything is making me think that i haven't gotten in anywhere else. but i know acceptances are typically later than this.

mentally trying to calm myself down...

Mar 5, 08 7:56 am  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

laurilan- i am doing the same thing. im anticipating phone calls and checking the mail a little too often! i just need to relax...

Mar 5, 08 9:50 am  · 
 · 
cou2

This is the worst time to be bored... time is going by really slowly. It's pretty bad when the most exciting part of my day is going to check the mail... only to get nothing... hopefully that will change soon.

Mar 5, 08 10:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: