Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

ff33º

speakin' of trips to schools, I am burned out on looking at them. I wnet to everyone i applied to...is the open house necessary?

Feb 29, 08 11:34 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

I dont think so. but the spring open houses are different, and I believe give you a more intimate, one on one with faculty, feeling. also you get to scope out your potential classmates

Feb 29, 08 11:38 am  · 
 · 
jazz32x

hilarious. buckeye tell misato, ab says hello.

Feb 29, 08 11:39 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

yeah, i don't think they're necessary - but i'm going to try and go to the ones i can. asbuckeye's description sounds about right.

Feb 29, 08 11:40 am  · 
 · 
chopsky

AV, is it one of your top picks? And did you apply for that morgenstern scholarship?

Feb 29, 08 11:44 am  · 
 · 
A V

Well my top picks are anything on the west coast, so I have to wait and hear from them. But I definitely like this school. I didn't apply to any schools I wouldn't want to go to. And no I didn't apply for the scholarship. I hope its not too late... I probably should.

Feb 29, 08 11:48 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

haha jazz, her and I are having a good time over here with all of this. she want to know how things in the equestrian field are going...hah.

Feb 29, 08 11:51 am  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

open houses can also be helpful if you want to try and get more out of a school's financial aid office. the schools will usually set up a lot of more specific presentations by students and faculty about different parts of the program, and there's definitely a sweet shmoozy vibe to the whole thing. i'll definitely be going to some open houses if i get accepted, especially for schools i haven't been able to visit yet like ut austin and uc berkeley.

i think if you haven't visited a school yet, it's pretty critical to go there to get a sense of it, but if you've been there in the last year or so it may not be necessary. just fun.

Feb 29, 08 11:54 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

I GOT IN DU!!!

YEAH

Feb 29, 08 11:54 am  · 
 · 
A V

Congratulations YbTH!

Feb 29, 08 11:56 am  · 
 · 
chopsky

AV, did you get the email from them about it?

said: "To apply for the Morgenstern Scholars program, submit the following by February 15, 2008:" :-/

Congrats YbTH!

Feb 29, 08 11:58 am  · 
 · 
A V

oh nope, thats weird, i never got that. but oh well.

Feb 29, 08 11:59 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

DU = Damned University

Feb 29, 08 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Congratulations you two!

It's March tomorrow...the month that will potentially determine the next three years of my life.

Feb 29, 08 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

whats DU?

Feb 29, 08 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

you and the rest of us buddy :S

Feb 29, 08 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

well, guys - i'm out for the weekend. i will be doing my best to avoid all computers and such.

i'll be cheering to you all that found out good stuff (and myself a little :) today during happy hour!

have a great no thinking about grad school weekend!

Feb 29, 08 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

I just spent 3 hours trying to fax transcript requests for 3 of my schools, which I am positive I ordered in November.

Now I look like an ass.

I've heard that if you send them too early, some schools won't have a file for you and they might get lost.

YbTH - do you have copies of the letters?

Feb 29, 08 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
ks1000

phone call from UPENN on my lunch break! Am accepted to the M.S. Preservation program.
I applied to the dual-degree with the M. Arch, so I still need to hear form the other dept. but that's one yes!!!!!!!!!!!!! wheeeeeeeee

Feb 29, 08 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
A V

congratulations ks1000!

Feb 29, 08 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
futurist

All these acceptances... interesting how they are coming about. Messages on the phone, email... I was thinking it was all going to be through the mailbox. Makes me want to go home now and change my answering machine.

Ha.

Feb 29, 08 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
parag

Hello friends would people having offer from AA , London for SEPT 08 want to form a group. Do inform back

Feb 29, 08 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
kramer2nd

Hello all. This is my first post- though I have been reading this thread for months. I too applied for MArch this year and am eagerly awaiting hearing back. I applied last year and got into great schools, UPenn, Oregon, OSU, Cinci, but got a great job offer and everyone told me to take a break between my BS in architecture at Wash U and grad school. It was a great idea which i have enjoyed and dont really want to go back to school, but now I feel like I need to get it out of the way. I applied to GSD, Yale, Princeton, MIT, UPenn, Mich, Sci-Arc, Rice, and Wash U this year. Probably too many, but I would love to go to any one of these and I definitely tried for top tier this year. Anyways, I couldn't stand reading all your posts without finally posting myself. The anticipation is KILLING ME!!!!

Feb 29, 08 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
A V

hiii kramer! where are you from?

Feb 29, 08 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

kramer - you aren't by any chance a kappa sig?

Feb 29, 08 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

i went to Wash U too, and the "name" kramer is familiar...im thinking we might have crossed paths, not to be creepy!

Feb 29, 08 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

kramer...you should post your portfolio...many of us here have .

Feb 29, 08 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
kramer2nd

wierd. whats ur story helloartichoke?

Feb 29, 08 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

did we work on thurtene together? I was a kappa on the construction committee...

Feb 29, 08 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
kramer2nd

u know who i am, who are u? were u in architecture?

Feb 29, 08 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

nope, art. i'll message you.

Feb 29, 08 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
stelina

PARAG: sure. send me a private msg.

Feb 29, 08 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
nicey

columbia: online app this year... are we expecting mail or email?

Mar 1, 08 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

expect a rejection letter by mail. late march.

Mar 1, 08 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

You will be able to see your status online.

Mar 1, 08 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Actually I forgot my PIN number and it does not work introducing my name, last name and the rest of dates.... Screw a lot

Mar 1, 08 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

Well, I haven't received any formal e-mails from IIT, but I just checked my application status online and it says the following:

Current Status: Admitted .
Congratulations on your admission to IIT! You will receive your official admission letter soon.

So I assume that means I'm in ;) Hells yeah
Though without any funding, I HIGHLY doubt I'll be attending there. Quite pricey.
We'll see what happens though...

Mar 2, 08 5:45 am  · 
 · 
A V

Chopsky!! congratsss. Are you going to Mies's 121st birthday party thing in Chicago? The invite came with the acceptance.

Mar 2, 08 7:44 am  · 
 · 
chopsky

Thanks man. I haven't received the letter of acceptance yet. Just saw that Application Status update on the website. When is this birthday thing? Highly doubt I'll be attending. I live in South Africa so travelling there for that would be a bit of a mission ;)

Mar 2, 08 8:06 am  · 
 · 
A V

Oh wow that would be a bit far! The Mies thing is on March 29th. So are you going to Chicago for sure or you waiting to hear from other schools?

Mar 2, 08 8:31 am  · 
 · 
chopsky

Waiting to hear from the other schools. I also want to see if IIT offer any form of funding. Absolutely nothing is set in stone. Hell, I haven't even received a letter of acceptance from IIT, so I'm jumping the gun here.

Mar 2, 08 8:45 am  · 
 · 
cou2

So what are people planning on doing if they don't get into or can't afford their top picks? Just curious. I'm liking the idea of safeties less and less - even though I have two (kinda).

Mar 2, 08 11:33 am  · 
 · 
A V

I'm still planning on moving to the West Coast. I will try to get a job at a firm and save some money and take some summer classes to build the portfolio and probably take some business classes. But there is no way I'm staying on the east coast any longer!

Mar 2, 08 11:59 am  · 
 · 
xacto

you could sell a kidney on the black market.

Mar 2, 08 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

Yeah - after spending this snowy, cold winter in NH, I don't know why I didn't apply to any California schools. Kinda wish I had. Scraping ice of your car at 6 in the morning gets old pretty fast.

Mar 2, 08 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

If I don't get into sciARC or UT, then I'll probably do a lot more yoga, and go to Europe finally...of course I said that last year when i didn't get into the Ivies. So maybe i'll get better at re-inventing post -rejection lifestyles.

Mar 2, 08 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

peace corps? park ranger? novelist? hollywood it-boy? work at Radioshack? alcoholic? stock broker? the possibilities are endless.

Mar 2, 08 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
futurist

There's always the idea of moving to the state of preference and working for a year, getting residency, and then reapplying....

Mar 3, 08 12:48 am  · 
 · 
futurist

nonresident tuition is going to hurt my pocketbook for sure...

Mar 3, 08 12:49 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

chopsky CONGRATULATIONS. after that I will check my status online anytime as a crazy!!!!

hahaha

Mar 3, 08 1:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: