Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

ff33º

rip, did you apply to Columbia? Your pictures are cool.

I applied to Columbia, but have written off as an option. However, maybe something will surprise me.

Mar 6, 08 9:12 am  · 
 · 
brooklyn1

ripomatic- I know this sounds weird but I was looking at your flikr shots and I know a bunch of people in them...Did you go to Camp Eisner?

Mar 6, 08 9:25 am  · 
 · 
smithwillb

Is anyone going to WashU's open house? does anyone think it's kind of ridiculous that they say they'll cover the cost on one sheet but then say you need to pay a $275 registration fee? I can buy a plane ticket from New York for 200.00 and split a room with someone for 75.00.

is this a trap?

i don't think i'm going to go. i mean, they had to pay my application fee because i'm so poor right now.

Mar 6, 08 9:57 am  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

smith, you might as well call them and tell them that you want to go but you can't afford it. maybe they'll offer to help with the cost - if they don't, you're no worse off than when you started.

Mar 6, 08 10:01 am  · 
 · 
cou2

Did anyone do anything funny, clever or really different in their portfolio or essay? Heard of anyone who did? Just curious... I'm bored. I didn't, but I thought about it. I figured that while the admissions committee might be amused with stuff like that they're probably not too impressed by it.

One of my math professors that wrote one of my recommendations suggested that I put a picture that I drew when I was a little kid along with my recent sketches ... something like a stick figure or finger painting ... with a note saying "I have come this far since I started drawing and you can expect the same sort of improvement from me at your school". Of course he joking and I didn't do that.

Mar 6, 08 10:05 am  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

Yeah a registration fee is ridiculous! Especially one that is so high! they shouldnt offer to pay expenses then ask for a registration fee. I'm not sure I will go up for the open house, but I might take trip up there another day. I'm not sure. I went there for undergrad, so I know the area well and the school, but I would like to look specifically at the arch school and get to know the faculty and the "vibe" of the program, since I didnt spend any time there as an undergrad. but let me know If i can answer any general school questions for you. smithwill-will i see you at the UVA open house?

Mar 6, 08 10:07 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

cou, Uva had this essay wanting you to describe a piece of architecture that has stuck with you in your mind. I thought this was sort of a BS, freshman exercise, and I completely blew it off until 2 days before it was due. So I ended up writing about this crappy apartment complex in costa mesa, california that I grew up in. It was a really cool piece of writing about a rather pedestrian piece of architecture .. but an important one nonetheless. Its probably why I havent heard back from them. Not all that interesting I guess, just different.

Mar 6, 08 10:11 am  · 
 · 
smithwillb

artichoke: yeah, i'm going there the 30th; leaving the 1st. where are you coming from? Is the school of arch at WASHU on the main campus? did you like living in St. Louis...i know this is irrational thinking, but something tells me St. Louis is just a big Waco, TX. Can you corroborate?

Asbuck: re: UVa 2nd Essay. I didn't write about architecture because then i would be lying. so i wrote about these Mexican workers in Chapel Hill, NC who would always meet at this gas station in the morning in order to secure some type of day job. the essay turned out to be more about transportation inequalities and the residual, economic effects on a community. So, the fact that you wrote a well-written essay on something personal, resonating, it’s probably a good thing.

Mar 6, 08 10:21 am  · 
 · 
ripomatic

thanks for the comments on my pics. this thread gets a little slow sometimes, so wanted to throw something out there.

YbTH - I use a Nikon D50 and more of the pics were taken with a prime 35mm f/2.0. I want to upgrade my camera though...maybe the d300?

chopsky - nope, i like in brooklyn but work in chelsea/flatiron

f33 - didn't apply to columbia. their program is too out there for me

brooklyn1 - yeah, I went to Eisner and I remember joe alexiou telling me that there was a girl from Eisner, his year, that lives in brooklyn and is applying to schools. are YOU that girl?

Mar 6, 08 10:35 am  · 
 · 
brooklyn1

I am that girl. Joe, Erica, and Adam all told me to talk to you about applying, but I was afraid your stuff was a lot better then mine so I didn't want to see it :) I'm sure you said it somewhere in this thread, but which schools did you apply to?

Mar 6, 08 10:57 am  · 
 · 
ripomatic

uva, wash u, gsd, yale, ut-austin, pratt

Mar 6, 08 11:16 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

rip, did you get a call from uva? anyone know anything about them sending out letter this week?

Mar 6, 08 11:20 am  · 
 · 
smithwillb

The person who called me said the letters were going out the afternoon of March 3.

Mar 6, 08 11:23 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

cool, thanks

Mar 6, 08 11:26 am  · 
 · 
ripomatic

asbuckeye, yeah I got a call from uva back on Feb 27th from a prof. there who congratulated me and told me the package would be coming in March.

Mar 6, 08 11:29 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

thanks, you probably said all this already... i just get all these avatars confused. congrats, btw

Mar 6, 08 11:31 am  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

rip, what professors are making calls? i know ken schwartz used to do them when he was chair, so was it craig barton? just curious.

Mar 6, 08 11:34 am  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

Anyone heard from ut Austin for m.arch? I'm trying to wait patiently...

Mar 6, 08 11:36 am  · 
 · 
kramer2nd

i just got an email from PENN's admission department asking me to make sure that my FAFSA was filled out so that they could send me financial information with my application notification. am i reading too far into this or does that sounds like some type of acceptance will be coming with financial aid info?

Mar 6, 08 11:40 am  · 
 · 
ripomatic

Her name was Nataly Gattegno...really nice sounding.

Mar 6, 08 11:40 am  · 
 · 
A V

kramer!!! I got the same email from uPenn and I had the same exact thoughts..

Mar 6, 08 11:41 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

I want to hear SOMETHING from one of my schools. all ive heard since I submitted apps was from yale saying everything was there. Im lonely

Mar 6, 08 11:43 am  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

nataly! she's amazing. she was my last studio prof - toughest, most grueling studio i ever had, but it really pushed me to do my best work of undergrad. she's somehow both really challenging and really understanding - she expects more of you than you think you could ever handle, but she also answers panicked late-night emails within ten minutes, and brings coffee and donuts during charrettes. she's also smokin' hot.

Mar 6, 08 11:45 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

hah, I was going to say.. 4% chance, with that name, of not being hot

Mar 6, 08 11:46 am  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

helloartichoke, i got accepted to ut austin for m.arch 1 via email feb. 21, but i was really shocked to hear from them so early. i know last year they were still sending out acceptances in the last week of march.

Mar 6, 08 11:47 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

asbuck,

if you like i'll call you and pretend to be the Dean of UVA....

"(ahem )Congratulation's Mr Buckeye., blah, blah, You Won,...blah, Full Ride, blah,blah,!"

:-)

Mar 6, 08 11:50 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

snark , you must have had an amazing portfolio and good scores

Mar 6, 08 11:51 am  · 
 · 
ks1000

I'm lonely too. I want phone calls. an email'd be nice as well.
=__=

Mar 6, 08 11:51 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

you all are making me neurotic

Mar 6, 08 11:53 am  · 
 · 
smithwillb

should we start the round-up so people know who knows what from whom and when? like...

Kansas - Accepted (2/19)
Columbia - Rejected (3/20)
Harvard - Accepted (3/10)

?

Mar 6, 08 11:53 am  · 
 · 
rose4401

About that FAFSA email from uPenn - was it sent out regardless of whether or not you've submitted your FAFSA? Did you guys receive the email even though you had already submitted what you needed to?

Just curious...

Is anybody here definitely attending the Wash U open house, even though it costs $275, because they think it would be a good deal?

Mar 6, 08 11:54 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

school that wont like me - no word (looking bleak)

school in boston that I dont really know anything about - no word

school that everyone of my profs/employers and their mothers went to and will make me look bad to not get into - no word

school that accepts not even enough people to field a basketball squad - no word

Mar 6, 08 11:55 am  · 
 · 
smithwillb

i'm not sure if i'm going to WASHU open house. it's kinda shady that they say they'll cover the travel cost but then make you pay a registration fee that basically covers the travel cost.

Mar 6, 08 11:55 am  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

the wait is killing me!

Mar 6, 08 11:56 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

To confessm, my latest crisis is that i am reluctantly afraid my GRE is just too low...400v...(in short I didn't study)...so now i am worried that it will kick me out of good standing in the process..

I emailed Sarah at UT...she said that GRE weighs 5 to 10% of the selection process. So I guess i ambanking on my two Solar Dectahlons to help me...of course, UT isn;t in teh Decathlon in 2009.

· 
bristow

is anyohne else confused by this last post?

who and what year are you referring to here?

It IS the 6th of march today correct?

the GSD hasnt sent out anything yet has it!??!

· 
snarkitekt

thanks ff33 -i actually think my personal statement for ut was the best of all of my applications, mostly because they had the latest deadline so i really had time to craft it.

Mar 6, 08 11:57 am  · 
 · 
bristow

and by last post i mean smithwilb's post, about 4 up from here.

· 
smithwillb

bristow - that was an example

· 
ff33º

snark , is your port on here a few pages back?

Mar 6, 08 11:58 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

mine was entirely serious

Mar 6, 08 11:58 am  · 
 · 
bristow

thanks just checking.

clearly, i could be less anxious.

Mar 6, 08 11:59 am  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

no, i haven't posted it (yet). i'm feeling weirdly superstitious about letting anyone see it until i've heard back from all the admissions folks. this falls into the same weird superstition category as how every time i daydream about getting a call from stan allen saying i'm accepted to princeton, i force myself to imagine opening the ever-popular princeton e-ject to try and balance out my expectations. i'll definitely post it in a few weeks though.

Mar 6, 08 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

yeah snar, join the club of people who know they're not getting into princeton. I mean seriously, 12 people? how do you even select 12 people out of hundreds? and if you choose one or two other white males that're over 6' tall ... well then i stand no chance

Mar 6, 08 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

me neither. 6'5"

but i didn't apply to princeton.

Mar 6, 08 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

damn dude, im 6'3", thought that was tall

Mar 6, 08 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

im bored

Mar 6, 08 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
ks1000

in regards to superstitions-- picked up three lucky pennies this week =)

Mar 6, 08 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

How about we all just post our stats. Maybe we can start hooking up... but then again the guy/girl ratio sucks.

ok, and... START

Mar 6, 08 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

ks1000: I got splatted on by a crow that was 3 stories above me. This happened yesterday.

Mar 6, 08 12:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: