Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

ff33º

you should get a job or something, there more to life than school

Mar 5, 08 10:03 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

i think my job makes it go by slower - sadly enough.

Mar 5, 08 10:12 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

<sorry, I didn't mean come off rude there...I am in the same boat...>

everyday , I try and meditate on how my life will work with and without school. Its easy to develop a tunnel vision to that acceptance moment....I believe one should study and practice the work they know they should do, and then worry about whether you find a school that will take your money

Mar 5, 08 10:21 am  · 
 · 
cou2

I'm temporarily laid off right now - till better weather comes around. But I am trying to find another job. I want to get a job in at an arch/eng firm, but it's hard to know what to do without knowing my plans for fall.

Mar 5, 08 10:37 am  · 
 · 
swamprat

Any thoughts on UIC's graduate program?

Mar 5, 08 11:06 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

cou2, you work construction or something?

I definitely know what you mean about planning your life.

Mar 5, 08 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
A V

Ughhghg I'm so bored! No ones hearing anything this week. I wish the admission people would read this bored and see how bad we wanna know already and hurry it up already!!

Mar 5, 08 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

i know! the anticipation is killing me! I check my email every other minute it seems and every phone call I get my heart starts beating faster. I need to chill out....

Mar 5, 08 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

pot helps

Mar 5, 08 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

not looking at Archinect helps too...

but I am not so good at that.

Mar 5, 08 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

you and me both

Mar 5, 08 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
A V

oops thats supposed to be "read this board" not "read this bored" hehehe... freudian slip.

Mar 5, 08 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

afrdzak
your other thread is really taking off...geez...those guys are too much to take...

Mar 5, 08 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

i decided that i'm going to go to the prettiest school. I think that's best for my over all mental health. i can't stand ugly places; they make me nervous.

so, i guess i'll go to UVa. isn't that the best-looking school?

Mar 5, 08 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

A V, share your sentiments.
This limbo is killing me.

Mar 5, 08 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

ff33: yeah it flaunts their experience in the profession.

Mar 5, 08 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

smith, quit bragging most if us don't have shit yet

Mar 5, 08 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
ldaye

uva is good looking, but would be great if they sent me a nice email....

i should have planned a trip for the first three weeks of march... it is torture checking this stuff.

Mar 5, 08 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

just found out I got into wash u.

i suggest you all call your roommates (if they are jobless, or freelance) and have them check the mail.

Mar 5, 08 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

awesome. way to go.

· 
ff33º

haha
Congrats Rip!

· 
dotdotdot

Rip - how did they notify you? Snail Mail?

congrats!

Mar 5, 08 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
A V

yayyy congrats ripo!

· 
ripomatic

thanks. I'm deliriously happy right now.

· 
smithwillb

tell us everything. big package, small envelope? financial awards?

Mar 5, 08 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

yeah, it was priority mail (says my freelancing roommate)

the bastard also told me that I had a tiny envelope from somewhere in MA. after i vomited on myself thinking it was the gsd's rejection, I remembered that tomorrow is my birthday, and my roommate confirmed that it was just a birthday card from my aunt and uncle.

Mar 5, 08 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

no financial aid info (though, my roomie said the tution listed is only 18g's...is that true?)

big package

· 
brooklyn1

Hello everyone. This is my first post, althought I've been reading this thread for months. I finally decided to take the plunge and post since I too am giving myself an ulcer waiting for these letters. I'm coming from a non-arch background, and applied to:
Pratt
Parsons
Upenn
Yale
and FIT Toy Design

I haven't heard back from anyone, althought I did get a call from Pratt yesterday to tell me my application was complete and I'd find out soon. It was such a tease!

Does anyone have any thoughts on Pratt v. Parsons? I don't know much about the Parsons program, and I know a lot of people at Parsons but non of them are in the Architecture program.

· 
smithwillb

yeah, per semester.

Mar 5, 08 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

congrats! and happy early birthday!!

Mar 5, 08 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

thanks. I'm turning 26, but I don't look a day over 25

Mar 5, 08 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

i just went through that. ugh. i hate the thought of being 26. sorry - hope you're looking forward to it more than me.

Mar 5, 08 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

Dear sciARC,
PLease call me. I am lonely.

boohoo

Mar 5, 08 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

"dear ff33,

its not you, its me"

...Thom

Mar 5, 08 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
EarlyPM

Congrats, Ripo!

Mar 5, 08 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

congrats rip!

Mar 5, 08 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
ttlin1

congrats, rip. for everyone that applied to ucla, they started calling people last year around this time (per last year's commiserate thread), so be on the lookout. i haven't heard back from any arch. schools, heard back from penn city planning though.

Mar 5, 08 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
A V

Does anyone know what they're gonna do to celebrate when they get into their dream schools? Im gonna go nutssss! Then I'm gonna buy myself some cool gadget as a reward. And then I'm gonna start saving money again.

Mar 5, 08 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

if i get into princeton I think I'll go to vegas

Mar 5, 08 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

i'll pay my deposit.

Mar 5, 08 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

i'll adopt an orphan and buy carbon credits

Mar 5, 08 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
A V

If I get into SCI-Arc I will probably move to LA next week.

Mar 5, 08 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

A V, we'll worry about how we celebrate when/if that day comes :)
If I do get into the school I want and I go, it'll be a double celebration though.
Moving to the USA is something I've wanted to do my entire life. It'll be the fulfillment of a serious life-long dream.
I love America more than any other country on earth (even if it's currently being very badly mis-managed).
So yeh, I'm very much hoping this all works out.

Mar 5, 08 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

chop, thats hard to top...

i'll probably just get drunk.

Mar 5, 08 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
A V

chops - Well you've already been accepted to Chicago, right?? So now you can move here no matter what else happens! Yay =]

Mar 5, 08 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

SO ,, when I didn't get in last year...I vowed to just study all the things I thought I woudl study in school anyway. It has actually been a pretty good year,..i mean I slept alot more than i thought ...

Mar 5, 08 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

right on, chopsky. the greatest patriots put the values of our constitution before an allegiance to any party or administration, which is something a lot of my countrymen have forgotten.

I hope it works out for you too.

Mar 5, 08 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

Well, it depends. If they offer me some funding that'll help a lot in making my decision, but I obviously can't bank on that happening.
As it stands, IIT seems to be quite pricey and I dont really want to live in serious debt. I'd kill to live in Chicago though and I figured there was no use in not trying.

and ff33º, I'm sure that'll be on my list ;)

Mar 5, 08 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

ripomatic, couldn't agree more.
the constitution is the single greatest document ever written (even if it has a couple loop-holes). such a pity it has been ignored for so long :-/
I think thomas jefferson is rolling in his grave as we speak.

Mar 5, 08 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

chop, are you the one from s. africa?

Mar 5, 08 3:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: