Archinect
anchor

Obama '08

treekiller

she obviously didn't pay obama enough to join her campaign or stay on the sidelines.

Jan 7, 08 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Dont get comfy - its still early. Americans have about a 3 month memory span.

Jan 7, 08 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Rasmussen: Obama Ahead By 12 In South Carolina

http://tpmelectioncentral.com/2008/01/rasmussen_obama_ahead_by_12_in_south_carolina.php

The Obama party is at a bar up on Clark St. tonite

Red Eye 3525 N Clark $20 all you can eat

Jan 7, 08 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

LiG - wait till after the California Primary.

Jan 7, 08 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
blah

mightylittle™,

That's not funny.

Jan 7, 08 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

mighty, i know what you're driving at, but it's still bad form....

Jan 7, 08 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
guppy

Yep, REALLY bad taste (and I have really bad taste, so that's saying something). Has anyone heard any thing about this?

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0108/Clinton_and_Obama_Johnson_and_King.html

Apparently Hilly argued that MLK (like Obama I guess) wasn't really an "agent of change," and that LBJ (like Clinton, I guess) was the real force behind the civil rights movement. Big gaff if you ask me.

Jan 7, 08 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
oe
Obama erases Clintons national lead.
Jan 7, 08 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
blah

mightylittle™,

Is that a threat?

How can I report a threat towards a protectee?

Contact your nearest U.S. Secret Service field office which is listed in the "Emergency Numbers" section in the front of most phone books.

The Secret Service is interested in legitimate information relating to threats, plans or attempts by individuals, groups or organizations to harm Secret Service protectees. However, the agency does not desire or solicit information pertaining to individuals or groups expressing legitimate criticism of, or political opposition to, the policies and decisions of the government or government officials.

I don't think that your stupid comments should be tolerated. PERIOD.

Jan 7, 08 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
blah

About 15 years ago, I was in the Town Hall Police Station after someone rear ended my car. There were a number of suits standing by the desk with some letters. They were addressed to Bill Clinton. They had photos of the Kennedy assassination in them. They had return addresses on them. They weren't taken lightly. About 20 minutes later, a number of cops brought the hand cuffed letter writer into the station and they took him off to interrogate him with the suits.

Jan 7, 08 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
oe

I wouldnt worry too much about it. Hes got good people.

Jan 7, 08 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin
Jan 7, 08 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
EGGS-ACTLY!
Jan 7, 08 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
oe

also.. Ive watched that teary-eyed clinton clip several times now, and I have to say, I dont buy it.

Jan 7, 08 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Reminded me of my younger sister crying because mom and dad wouldn't buy her a pony for her birthday.

Jan 7, 08 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

wow. what a response! a few afterthoughts:

first: in regards to the image i posted. nope. nothing bad taste about it.

and it wasn't supposed to be funny. it was supposed to be a reminder about how precarious the notion of change really is in this country. we've been at the precipice many times, only to sink back into renegade imperialism.

i'm surprised at you beta...you aren't easily offended. and didn't you just yell at someone on the huckabee thread and tell them to grow a pair? (yes you did, i just went and checked...)

it would probably come off better if y'all knew me offline, but i've been scared since Audacity of Hope came out that this guy was in danger. if you knew my friends, you could ask them. i've said so.

and makeArch: are you seriously suggesting that my post was a threat? if so, that's some serious libel you're slinging pal. i'd back off on cutting and pasting secret service text if i were you. never know who's watching that sort of plagiarism.

also, you really need to A: Settle the fuck down, and B: Maybe talk to someone about your anger management issues.

here's my point:

i don't at all think that the machine that pulled the strings in Dallas when JFK got nailed, or at the Ambassador Hotel where Bobby was shot, or in Memphis when MLK was killed, has gone to sleep. quite the contrary.

i don't at all think that the people who pulled those strings have died and gone away. again, quite the contrary. these are the same dudes that brought you wiretapping, illegal search and seizure, blatant disregard to the terms of engagement and international diplomacy, and of course vicious human rights abuses and more.

i don't at all think that the powers that be aren't watching obama's EVERY step. these are the same people, again, who have been monitoring american dissidents for decades. not that obama is a dissident, just that he brings with him a progressive spirit.

i don't at all think that the bigwigs in power are blind to the fact that obama really represents substantial changes to the dominant paradigm in a more tangible way than anybody has in a long fucking time. (whether he IS that change or not right now isn't the question...)

people seem to think that assassination and coup d'etat only happen in pakistan, and el salvador, and the former USSR...but in reality, they happen in dallas, and in memphis, and in los angeles too.

so why the fuck can't i talk about it? or at least allude to it.

anyone on this board who has read my posts knows that i'm not prone towards bullshit shock-jock comments just for the fuck of it, and i'm not making light of this either.

I AM ACTUALLY SERIOUSLY CONCERNED THAT BARACK OBAMA IS GOING TO BE ASSASSINATED.

why can't i post an image that mentions by visual proxy an historically accurate and salient moment in history without being called out for bad taste?

makeArch - do you whisper when you say cancer? are we not allowed to talk about these sorts of things?

you think assassinations go away because people don't talk about them? wrong. that is precisely the reason they continue to happen, because too many people refuse to acknowledge the complicity of our nations leaders in generations of abuse of power.

open your eyes people...this election isn't a high school prom vote. there are trillions of dollars at stake in everything from healthcare to guns and submarines. while you're out farting around caucasing for this or that, seriously malicious men are scheming as we speak for ways to dismantle what can best be described as the AMERICAN OPPOSITION.

obama represents the possible loss of untold billions of dollars in contracts to the defense industry, to the healthcare industry, to the bullshit brown and root/halliburton no-bid contract fiesta that the bush admin has become.

THE PEOPLE AT RISK OF LOSING MONEY ARE THE SAME PEOPLE THAT DROPPED THE ATOMIC BOMB. DO YOU THINK THEY'RE GOING TO PLAY FAIR? DO YOU THINK THEY'RE GOING TO LET OBAMA JUST WIN THIS THING WITHOUT A FIGHT?

i don't. and the only way to fight their vindictive nature is by watching every step of the way for the next sirhan/oswald/etc, because like it or not man, they're out there.

i'm sorry, but if you can't handle looking at a picture of a known assassin some 40 years after the fact without either taking offense or presuming that the poster is a manchurian candidate, then maybe you should stay in your room and let the adults have a meaningful discussion.

rant over.

-ml

Jan 8, 08 1:15 am  · 
 · 

mightylittle™ '08!

Jan 8, 08 1:25 am  · 
 · 

Seriously. Best rant on archinect since Geoff yelled at Lauf.

Jan 8, 08 1:26 am  · 
 · 
blah

mightylittle™,

You're a dick.

Jan 8, 08 1:41 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

mighty, I knew exactly what you were talking about when you posted that picture, and I agree with you 100%. I'm scared to death of it, and I was glad to hear when they gave him Secret Service protection early, and I was glad to see that link that oe posted up above. In fact, thank you for bringing it up. I was scared to....I don't know, I guess I thought I would jinx him or something. But you right.....and the scariest thought that I keep having is, not only do I worry about our own government taking him out, but I worry that if the Clinton machine doesn't succeed sometime soon, I think that they would try to kill him as well. Call me crazy if you want but there is a lot of print about how Bill and Hillary are willing to take out people that get in their way.

I think it's time to talk about it. Bad taste or not, maybe if we talk about it, it won't happen. Maybe if it's obvious that we are thinking about it then they won't do it. It makes me sick to think like this, but it's the same feeling I get every time I think of Dr. King and Bobby Kennedy and what our country might have been like if they had actually lived to see their dreams through.

Jan 8, 08 1:49 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

ml -

i said i know where you were coming from, but bad form not bad taste two different things. let me ask you something, do you think anyone here is NOT keenly aware of what is going on and what lurks out there as we approach a possible historical moment? a photo of Sirhan Sirhan with no commentary is bad form, it comes off the way it did for some, and elicited the responses above. i didn't dwell on it, but it is a fear of mine too, i just don't voice my fear and that is for two reasons; first, and somewhat superstitiously, i think if i say it it might come true,and second i want to believe that we have come quite far in the 40 years since those particular events, i was born between those assassinations, and it's my hope that racism albeit not gone by any means, has been relegated ti the very fringe, practiced by a few retards.

i think perhaps the way to broach the subject might have and should have come at a different angle than you did. the photo with no comment comes off wrong.

as for the "grow a pair comment" you are taking that out of context, tell someone to stop waffling in the middle, and choose a side is hardly bad form, bad taste or inappropriate. in this election, at this time it means everything.

all i know is that for most of my 40 years, i have stood and watched, and this time i want in, ALL IN. that is why i am doing something about it and going door to door, calling minnesotans, iowans and whoever else to tell them to vote for this man.

i am not mad at you, i am, like dubk scared to death, is right to talk about now, maybe, perhaps, but is it more right to talk about the issues and why this guy is the right person for the right time?

Jan 8, 08 6:35 am  · 
 · 

Mighty is right the machine hasn't closed down shop..

However, i would like to agree with beta, that we (as a country) have moved on since those dark times...

Yet, when i hear people voice sentiments like Tancredo (who is thankfully out of the race now) re: immigration etc i get worried about how much we may have actually progressed...

Finally, DubK

I would like to think that even the Clinton's wouldn't stoop that low.

But perhaps, one of their crazy fans would?
Shudder..I can only imagine what would happen to this country if such a thing did take place, regardless of it's source.

I would think riots would be the least of our worries.I would hope for some osrt of revolution, even if there were no smoking guns...

Jan 8, 08 9:44 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

"the machine" give me a frigg'n break. If there is a machine, be thankful it affords you spend your day day on Archinect talking about it in a free society, free from want.

Jan 8, 08 9:50 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Agreed.... I think Obama has the potential to be the JFK of this generation; I just hope he doesn't end up a martyr like JFK.

Salon.com: Obama's Double Magic: By allowing voters to both vent their anger and overcome it, while embodying the transcendence of America's racial wound, Barack Obama offers not just hope, but alchemy.
"...After Bush, the appeal of throwing the dice is irresistible. If Obama wins in November, a political miracle will have happened: We will have gone from following an authoritarian fool into an insane war to electing a progressive black president, without missing a beat. Can it happen? Who knows? But if America can go down that far into the dark side, perhaps we can emerge just as quickly into the light. And after eight years without it, I don't want to be the one to bet against hope."

Jan 8, 08 9:56 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

(my post above was in response to namhenderson)

Evilplatypus, once again you prove yourself to be a fucking idiot.

Jan 8, 08 9:57 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

LIG - Your a fucking loser with way too much time on your hands. Go stir up your concpiracy theories elsewhere.

Jan 8, 08 10:17 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

look at whats become of my favorite thread.... tsk tsk boys, play nice

Jan 8, 08 10:40 am  · 
 · 

Really the machine...

It may not be an actual conspiracy but there are certainly those with power who stand to loose some if he or any progressive (even progressive -lite) leader was elected...

Jan 8, 08 10:58 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

come on, we're all on the same team.

Jan 8, 08 11:23 am  · 
 · 
oe

Well I would say hillary and gang wacking barack is a little tin-foil-hat, but I have no doubt they'll pull every other dirty trick they can muster over the next month, including fearmongering, playing the gender-card, lying, crying and planting landmines and none of it will fool anyone.

Sorry dinosaurs, were moving on.

Jan 8, 08 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

machine or not, you have to admit people like Barack have a tendency to die young and from unnatural causes. This country is about to face a major, major test in how it reacts to him. I can only hope we're ready for the change he represents, then again I am a very nihlistic guy about these kinds of deals.

The good die young, but pricks live forever!
-Lewis Black

[i]If I was president,
I'd get elected on Saturday,
Assassinated on Sunday,
Buried on Monday.
If I was president.[i]
-Wyclef Jean

Jan 8, 08 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

They still call it the White House
But that's a temporary condition, too.
Can you dig it, CC?

And when they come to march on ya
Tell 'em to make sure they got their James Brown pass
And don't be surprised if Ali is in the White House
Reverend Ike, Secretary of the Treasure
Richard Pryor, Minister of Education
Stevie Wonder, Secretary of FINE arts
And Miss Aretha Franklin, the First Lady
Are you out there, CC?

God bless Chocolate City and its vanilla suburbs!

Jan 8, 08 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
SandRoad

Don the tin-foil-hats...

Many of these sorts of tragic conspiracy theories seem to be based on pre-supposing that a President Obama would really be capable of instigating such monumental changes that the nut jobs would be inspired into crazy action. Or that the Republicans -- or even other Democrats -- might somehow need to suppress this brand-new direction. Sounds nutty. What would be some examples of these sorts of monumental changes? What is this "major, major test" Apurimac is talking about?

Jan 8, 08 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

beta - i can tell from your posts how much stock you place in this election, and how supportive you are for the man you think can push things forward towards improvement. don't let that cloud your interpretation of the realities on the ground, and don't misinterpret what i'm saying.

we can agree to disgaree about form vs. taste, but i know what i meant, and i stand by it. you said so yourself that it was a fear of yours too...so why not throw some light on it? why must i provide commentary? again, it's not like i've ever been prone towards posting shocking images (Israel/Palestine thread for one) just for the shock value and as troll bait. c'mon then.

i don't think we've progressed so far in these forty years that it couldn't happen again. the photo implies to anyone reading it in context as a reply to Gin's previous comment that "it ain't over till he's in the white house." no more no less.

even then it ain't really over because the machine (yes ep, the machine...) will continue to fight for it's overly large slice of the pie. anyone who thinks otherwise has obviously not been paying attention the last fifty years.

ep - do you still think oswald acted alone in the top floor of the book depository? or that 9/11 was actually carried out by a dude in a cave on the other side of the world? just because it's called a conspiracy theory doesn't mean it's wrong.

makeArch - no, i'm not a dick. ask anyone. last time i checked, suggesting online that someone else was threatening a senator and then following that suggestion up with info about how to turn them in was a dick move. all i did was bring up an historically accurate and salient point from a dark time in our nation's past. if you can't handle that, then like i said, go play with your legos in the other room. otherwise, i'm still waiting for an apology.

nam - much as i would love to agree with you re:40 years, i just can't.

if anything, i think this country is on more lockdown now then it was then. we may not have another 'Kent State' but we do have crushing student debt, rising costs for health care that's dropping in quality, a gazillion dollar deficit, and a whole host of other problems that, cobbled together, form a bigger surfeit of disenfranchisement than a couple of student shootings.

believe me, i think obama's a fascinating candidate for all sorts of reasons. i'll actually be going out of my way to vote in the California Primary (even though i'm not a registered dem) because the man brings a genuine chance at progress. and like beta, i'm emotionally 'all in' on this guy, however...

that progress scares the bejeezus out of a small cadre of diehard fucknuts who will stop at nothing to keep their grasp on the tenuous power they worked many many years to acquire. what's one more black ops mission here at the turning of the tide?

that's the deeper point of my comment-less photo post above, that this contest goes well beyond polling places, and deep into the dark and dangerous heart of the belligerent beltway mentality. bummer that it got lost amid a wash of quick disapproval, but i don't care, it's still true.

oh, and hi Wonderk.

-ml

(ps - i'm still voting for the dude anyways, and also encouraging people i talk to to do the same.)

Jan 8, 08 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

ml, i am with ya, this was just one thing that i privately worry about, perhaps naively, but thinking again that a mere mention would somehow make it happen...irrational i know, but it's there for me....

Jan 8, 08 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

9 seconds, 3 shots from 175 to 200 yards with a rifle and scope for a former sharp shooter is not only practicle, he missed one of four. So yeah, I can see where He acted alone is actualy more rational than an alien ship full of freemasons and the loch ness monster, but to each there own.

Jan 8, 08 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

ROFLMAO!

Jan 8, 08 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Oh come on, everyone knows REDACTED shot JFK.

Jan 8, 08 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

OMG, internets censorship!

Jan 8, 08 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
Mulholland Drive

Honestly, I still do not see why people are ga-ga over Barack Obama. When I hear him talk...I hear a Tony Robbins with a smokers voice.

I am still supporting Clinton, but I would choose McCain over Obama...simply because I think you need to have a little bit more experience, let alone success, to really handle the job of president. I think Bush The Younger is a lesson enough that personality and reacting to the previous administration should not be the primary factor in selecting a leader.

Either way, Iowa was just the first inning in what, historically, used to ba a long process. Let this go through Super Tuesday and California...and then let's see if Obama has the iron gut to handle the Rupublican crazies that WILL come out from the under the bridges.

Jan 8, 08 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

bryden your underestimating the national mood. Your right Obama isnt so clear on many things. Its the mood they they want to change.

Jan 8, 08 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Most of the evidence points to the JFK assassination being carried out by FBI-trained anti-Castro Cuban militants in revenge for the botched Bay of Pigs invasion. Those same people in the FBI went on to become major players in the Nixon administration, and political mentors to the current administration.

Most of them have very long and deep connections to major defense contractors and other shadowy companies who make their living at the federal feed trough, and who stand to lose billions of dollars and would probably face criminal indictments if a true "untouchable" reformer were ever in a position to appoint an Attorney General.

The fact that the JFK assassination was likely a conspiracy isn't the rantings of some crackpots with an ax to grind; rather, these were the findings of a congressional investigation in the 1970's that was quietly buried.

I have a copy of the congressional report somewhere at home (it was required reading in an American History class I took last year), and can provide a proper citation when I dig it up.

In the meantime, Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States should be required reading for every voter and taxpayer in the country.

Jan 8, 08 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

LIG - your fucking retard - stop following me around the threads and get a life, or something else worth while to do

Jan 8, 08 2:27 pm  · 
 · 

LIG,

I actually tried to incorporate Zinn's textbook version of the book in some middle school classes while i was teaching. Never happened though...

Jan 8, 08 2:28 pm  · 
 · 

I think in retrospect it would have been over their head,....?

Jan 8, 08 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Some flag-waving jackass would probably have accused you of polluting their child's head with unpatriotic ideas.

Jan 8, 08 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
SandRoad

Wow -- Howard Zinn. Zinn definitey has his followers. I think that guy's book was mentioned in Good Will Hunting. (And I think they mentioned Noam Chomsky.) I think Will's reading of those books was what made him require therapy with Robin Williams.

I'll take a pass.

Jan 8, 08 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Back to Obama '08:

CNN: [url=http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/08/nh.main/index.html]Record turnout predicted in New Hampshire.

Reports indicate that some polling places are running low on Democratic ballots. That can only be good for Obama, as I can't see many people standing in long lines to vote for Hillary or Edwards.

Jan 8, 08 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

oops. Record turnout predicted in New Hampshire

Jan 8, 08 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
Mulholland Drive

evilplatipus...I do think I underestimated the number of people who were dumb enough to buy into Compassionate Conservatism and vote for Bush, not once...but TWICE. That is what scares me. When American politics become pure pop phenomena while policy wonkish substance and legitmate experience become a backseat C-SPAN issue, then I think it is time to ask if the Queen is willing to forgive our try at independence and take us back.

I am personally waiting for the iObama bumber stickers.

Jan 8, 08 5:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: