Archinect
anchor

Obama '08

mightylittle™

did someone say frank?

Jul 27, 07 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
oe

I dont know. Im honest. Edwards makes me gag. I just dont know how anyone can buy into that sycophantic goo. Does anyone think he really means a word he says? I mean lets be real, after that cringe inducing debate with cheney in 04 the man hasnt a fucking hope of being president. And worse I think he knows it. I mean you have to ask yourself, Biden is a smart guy, Dodd is a smart guy, are they really so diluted they think they can come back 40 points and win this thing? They dont. Theyre running for vice president, and Edwards is the worst of them.

Jul 27, 07 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

oe, what about obama makes you think he's any more genuine? i mean he's as rehearsed and smooth as anyone else even if he is advocating something different. i didn't want to say this before, but obama (right now) seems much more fake to me (not saying he is fake, just comparatively) than edwards... i mean, the man, even if his views are compelling (and i think they are to some degree) is not intrinsically charismatic, he's a bit stiff, and yet there he is faking (to some degree) this charisma. to borrow from you, does anyone think he's really as charismatic as the media says he is? look, i didn't want this to get to be a political debate, but i really think edwards looked back on a somewhat disappointing campaign last time, and was most of all disappointed with the timidity of his message, and came back this time disregarding (or at least far more so than any other major candidate) his advisors and saying/doing what he thinks is right and practical. i just don't get it about obama... yes, he's advocating a change in attitude, and that's great and badly need i think, but i don't think he's advocating much of a change at all in policy. his policies are all exceptionally vague and where they are defined quite timid, and i know it's been said that they might be somewhat timid because of being realistic and wanting to compromise, but if that's his strategy he's learned nothing from the republicans' success in getting their whacked out policies in place: you compromise by suggesting policies that are just timid enough to get elected, but perhaps not timid enough to pass, and then you compromise slightly more from there. the answer to solving health care as a reformer (and i don't think edwards is going far enough here either) isn't to come out and propose an already compromised policy that is going to be even more watered down before passage. i think if anything is to be learned from the past eight years it is that strict ideology does not work in setting policy, whether it's liberal or conservative ideology, but it certainly helps to get elected. i guess what i'm saying is that even if edwards is faking it (and i don't think he is), i think he'll continue to fake it all through his term and we'll have just as good policy as a result. i like obama, and i like clinton, and i like a lot of the democrats running and i don't get where this hatred of one candidate and this almost unquestioning readiness to eat up everything another candidate comes from. it reminds me of democrats hating kerry and loving dean (i don't know why.. dean makes me gag, which is an exageration but still). and i'm not sure what you mean by this:

I mean you have to ask yourself, Biden is a smart guy, Dodd is a smart guy, are they really so diluted they think they can come back 40 points and win this thing? They dont. Theyre running for vice president, and Edwards is the worst of them.

are you actually suggesting that everyone but clinton and obama drop out of the race well over a year before the election because the media has already annointed the two front-runners? and even if dodd or biden are running for vice president (i don't think edwards is, nor do i think either of them realistically are either), what's wrong with that? more people, more voices, more ideas added to the debate is good for democracy. dodd, biden, richardson et al all know they have next to no chance, but being in the (somewhat dimmed) spotlight gives them the opportunity to question and criticize the front-runners, some of whom don't seem to be questioned at all by the voting public. that's my problem here: no one is questioning obama except for this stupid experience thing (which i don't think is an issue aside from providing different points of view), but most people just eat up whatever he says and accept that he's the change candidate unquestioningly. i'm not saying you or anyone else here is necessarily doing that, but i think most people are. i like obama, but i think he's still far more hype than substance. and even though i don't think edwards is a faker, i'd take a faker who would advocate good policy over hype.

Jul 28, 07 10:07 am  · 
 · 
oe

Its a pattern of behavior. He votes for the war and then apologizes when it becomes politically advantageous to do so. He waits six months and then sends his wife to start this phoney media spat with Anne Coulter after setting up a fund raiser based on it. He calls Hillary over to rag on the third tier candidates, thinking no-one is listening, conspires to exclude them from future debates, and then puts on this fake smile to thank Kucinich for being there. The reason Kerry didnt want him as his VP is because Edwards told him the same story about how his son had died twice with the same words and the same inflections, like it was some rehearsed lawyer's speech and hed forgotten hed already told it. Thats from Kerry. Thats just pathological to me.

As far as the other candidates, yes, I think its very important that theyre there. I think Richardson is genuinely running, and I think people see that and thats why his numbers are moving. Having Kucinich and Edwards there to force debate about health care is very important, even Gravel brings a certain honesty to the field. Im not saying at all the field should be limited, Im just saying for anyone whose really paying attention it should matter why a candidate is running in the first place, what their real intention is. Running knowing full well they dont have a hope and at the same time showing a total unwillingness to challenge the front-runner wreaks of clamoring for the VP.

I think most people know when theyre getting shmoozed. Thats why people liked dean and not Kerry. Even though Dean was a stiff, at least he was honest. When you look at how Obama has lived his life, the follow through on his convictions, the way he is when hes not on stage theres a real genuine quality there. He is a great speaker, but hes also not faking it.

I guess Im being a bit of a prick. But this is so huge. Id feel about the same voting for Hillary as I did voting for Kerry. I mean I'll do it, obviously. but its just the smaller pile of shit. How long has it been that weve been saying 'God, why do we have to pick from this crap? Where is the next Bobby Kennedy?' It would just be such a shame if when finally theres someone who holds even the most modest hope of that were so cynical we didnt have the courage to follow through.

Thats just me.

Jul 28, 07 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

oe, i was being a prick, too, and i disagree with you to a large extent, but definitely see your point. even if you don't like edwards, i still don't get the kerry thing. my god, kerry was a stiff, but he was honest, he's been an activist his whole life and speaks out on things and, jesus, i really just felt so good about kerry. what a loss. and then when the media got all over him for that stupid joke and i knew he wasn't going to run again, it was almost as bad as waking up the morning of nov. 3, 2004 and knowing it was all over. okay, it was nowhere near that, but i still don't get why people think kerry was "crap" at all. oh well. i see your point about obama, and seeing someone with that kind of real, and obviously informed conviction about him is nice, since i do feel like there's a lot of people just jumping on the bandwagon. but you make me think there's at least a lot more to him than the hype then even if i disagree with you completely about edwards.

Jul 28, 07 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
Obama finally REALLY answers whether he is 'black enough'

. Hopefully that ridiculous question will never be asked again.

Aug 11, 07 9:28 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i got a question about that "question." i am personally offended by the question, but i am white, so why is this question being asked by members of the community? are people afraid that if he's a little white he might not truly be on their side? is this a myth put out by the fringe? why is hillary getting the support from the african american community? is she more black than obama? does this go back to the days of slavery, where there was a distinction between house slaves and field slaves? what the fuck is it?

i love obama and for me it's between him and edwards. i can't do hillary unless she wins the nomination...

Aug 11, 07 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
oe

I dont understand how anyone can be very compelled by Hillary. I mean that whole exchange during the debate last when she said destabilizing musharraf means handing nukes to al queda. She knows thats not true, its the same scare-tactic bullshit weve been getting for the last 6 years now. The islamists hold almost no political power in Islamabad, no sway over the military, in fact with people like Benazir Bhutto waiting in the wings musharraf losing power would almost certainly be a good thing. This whole idea that she has more experience is an illusion, I mean her thinking is so indicative of this profound unsophisitcation with which washington looks at the middle east, talking about Pakistan now and Iran in the 70's as if theyre interchangeable. Either that or shes being deliberately untruthful, I dont know which is worse.

As far as the black community here, I think there was a lot of love for Bill Clinton, which has carried over for her. I mean there are divisions between cariibbean black communities and post-slavery african immigrant communities but I think thats really over-played. I mean its a difficult line he has to play, being true to himself and his work in chicago and not being pigeon-holed as another Jesse jackson or Al Sharpton. Ive gathered that many blacks worry that whites wont vote for a black candidate, but I dont really think that will play out to be true.

Aug 11, 07 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
oe
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/12/03/clinton-camps-latest-att_n_75177.html

ha ha ha, christ. Hillary is flailing.

Dec 4, 07 1:14 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yep, that's pretty absurd alright.

The more I hear from her, the more I feel certain that the Democrats will lose again in 2008 if she is picked as the candidate.

Dec 4, 07 3:41 am  · 
 · 
oe

Sorry this is formletterish, Ive been sending it to everyone,..

~

Those that know me know Im not casual or unscrutinizing in my passions for those I believe in. Im a pretty cynical guy, especially when it comes to politics. I think weve been given plenty of reason in the last few years and the last few decades to be cynical. Watching kerry lose in 2004, Katrina, the total ineffectuality of the congress to do ANYTHING, our economy falling apart at the seams and all the while dumping billions a day in this war without reason or end, I think weve all felt that cynicism.

Most of you also know Ive become (almost annoyingly) enamored with Barack Obama. I say this with real conviction though, that it isn’t without reason. It isn’t because hes black or because hes young or even because hes a great speaker. Ive grown to recognize that he represents the first real chance in a generation for the US to be what we always hoped it could be. Its 2008 now, 8 years into the 21st century. This could be the century when we solved the problem of renewable energy and global warming. This could be the century when we cured aids and developed the environment as an integral part of our economy. This could be the century when we finally stopped treating the third world like a cash cow and ended armed conflict as a political tool. This is the first time Ive ever felt like we could see those things actually happen.

In 20 years I want to be able to take my family to Iran and mecca without feeling fear or feeling shame in my country. I want my kids to be able to go to college without worrying about a lifetime of student loans. I want my friends and neighbors to be able to go to the hospital after an accident without fearing a lifetime of medical bills because they couldnt afford health insurance. We have the power right now to see through to a new future, ruled not by suspicion and conflict but by real optimism and honest investment in the common good. We have an opportunity, literally in the next several days, to regain that future that seemed lost before we were born. I honestly feel that these next few days are the test of our generation, to see the hope of our generation’s Bobby Kennedy not let that opportunity pass by. The day Obama wins the nomination I think this country looks at itself differently, I think the world looks at us differently. Its not just symbolic, its practical, that we finally had the courage to elect someone who actually means what they say and has the intelligence and genuine wisdom to see that through.

I guess not many of you are registered Iowa voters, so it seems like right now there isn’t much you can do. I’ll be volunteering in NH this weekend but I can understand that isn’t practical for a lot of you either. The campaign right now is on the verge of reaching 500,000 individual contributors, that’s more than any campaign in history, and is trying to reach that goal before the Iowa caucus tomorrow. I know were all paying rent and student loans and everything else, so just buy a keychain or a tshirt for a few bucks, just to get your name down. Its not much but a little announcement like that at the right time could really make all the difference.

I love yall,
Colin,

http://store.barackobama.com/

https://donate.barackobama.com/page/contribute/main

Jan 2, 08 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

spam!

Jan 2, 08 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

I ordered Obama campaign t-shirts as Christmas presents back in early Dec - all of the t-shirts for sale were listed as on back order, which I take to be a good sign for his campaign...

Jan 2, 08 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

I am not going to vote for anyone who spams archinect.

Jan 2, 08 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I am already so sick of election babble coming out of every channel...I wish i could turn it off..

I only get one vote and thats in Nov...until then I don't need to hear every little nuance of eveyone's campaign. I'll probably vote for Obama or whatever..but i wish the private elctorial persuasion campaign would just shut its face up....

at least until Oct.

Jan 2, 08 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
oe

Well I wrote it and I meant it,

Jan 2, 08 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
TED

i volenteer for his campaign in london -
good article from foriegn affairs.org by obama

thanks to oprah - barack will be the next president -

for those expats living abroad dont forget to register to vote absentee - for some states thats now!

Jan 2, 08 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Hey, I am voting for Obama, and volunteering for the campaign. I have been to Iowa twice and have shaken the man's hand. I am currently a precinct coordinator and will be canvassing my neighborhood to get people to caucus for Barack. If you are on the fence, look again, if you are thinking that you'll vote for Barack in the general, but not in a caucus or primary, think again. If you don't take part in the primaries or caucus's you may not get a chance to vote in the general.

Barack is not only the right choice, the thoughful choice, but it's the principled choice...

This is not spam, if you think it is you are mistaken. The indifference is annoying, the complaining that this is too much babble is equally annoying. The reason there is this much chatter, this early is because there are fewer voters - or at least fewer participants in the election - making it more difficult to get any separation and thus drawing out this process....

Jan 2, 08 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
oe

^^ sorry for all the loutish things I (obliquely) said about you in the bhutto thread ;)

*you-rock-barack-highfive!*

Jan 2, 08 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

You've heard of the old Reagan Democrats, Im an Obama Republican, and theres a lot more like me - the middle of the road that Newt and the Boys forgot. Plus He smokes.

Jan 2, 08 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

First of all, I don't understand why a heartfelt personal letter about Obama could be considered spam on a thread about Obama. Weird.

Secondly, oe, I really like you. And I'm not saying that because I'm creepy or trying to stalk you, but between the above comments (which I agree with) and the very passionate sympathetic ones on last week's Bhutto thread, I just want to say thanks and I appreciate you, and please be my forum buddy. That is all.

Sincerely,
-dubK

Jan 2, 08 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

I'm w/ evilplatypus... and Barack's trying to quit. I think he's on the patch...

Jan 2, 08 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
oe

^^^ muaw well shucks K, Back at'cha :)

...truth be told I was genuinely sad about Bhutto's death and later felt a bit bad for being so harsh with people in that thread.

Jan 2, 08 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

;o)

(oe, you should post 5 more times and then throw yourself a "magic number 5 party)

I'm supposed to phone bank for Barack tonight, basically to tell people in Iowa where their caucus location is. Not that I don't want to help out but being in CA, and trying to call Iowa, just feels weird to me. Actually I've never been a fan of phone banking. But I'll give it a go for a little while anyway.

Jan 2, 08 8:12 pm  · 
 · 

Wow, WonderK, TED and Beta...

You all rock.. I wish i was so involved in politics as to volunteer time..

All i ever do is participate in the media saturation, by feeding on it...

Also...

Go Obama

Evil..my hope is that it is republicans like you that will win him the nomination (re: charges of electability in a general election) and then win him the Presidency as well.

Jan 2, 08 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i will be at a local hang out tomorrow crossing fingers and toes...waiting for the news and gearing up for february 5th...

FIRED UP! READY TO GO!

Jan 2, 08 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

...i've never done this before, it's scary and fun at the same time. dubk phone banking is tough to do at first, but then the more hang-ups or not interested i get the more determined i get....

Jan 2, 08 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I've done phone banking work before. It's tough work. People can get nutso over the phone. Be aware.

Jan 3, 08 12:06 am  · 
 · 
oe

say

Jan 3, 08 1:24 am  · 
 · 
oe

I

Jan 3, 08 1:25 am  · 
 · 
oe

should

· 
oe

do

· 
oe
wha?

Jan 3, 08 1:26 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

that graphic of obama could use some work...

Jan 3, 08 1:39 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

yay!

nicely done, oe.

(*if Obama wins tomorrow I'll break out the whole rainbow.)

(**notice how I keep bringing it back to the topic at hand.)

Jan 3, 08 1:39 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I registered Democrat so I could vote in Illinois Primary

Jan 3, 08 10:05 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

IT'S FOR REAL BABY!

FIRED UP! READY TO GO!
Jan 3, 08 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

cnn likes this guy an awful lot. me, i'm not so sure...

Jan 3, 08 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

...fuck CNN.

Jan 3, 08 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
guppy

Wooohoooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Obama lives in my neighborhood. Hyde Park represent!!!!!!!!

Jan 3, 08 10:09 pm  · 
 · 

38%
Yeah Baby!

Jan 3, 08 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
archtopus

Woot!

I made this prediction earlier today, and I stick by it:

on November 4th:

Obama/Bloomberg: 56%
McCain/Lieberman: 44%

Jan 4, 08 12:28 am  · 
 · 

I am happy to see the best candidate win. Did you see that he won among Democrats, Independents, AND Republicans voting in the dems caucus? wow, I think he just started a movement.

If he wants to get the nomination and win he has to get tougher though. I like him a lot but he is an intellectual candidate, which we can all agree is a welcomed change, but does not win many elections. He would be great to end baby boom domination of politics too and just him and his story would make the U.S. seem friendlier to the world, and our reputation and standing around the world desperately needs a face lift.

Clinton 3rd place, OUCHH!

Jan 4, 08 1:25 am  · 
 · 
oe
Obamas Victory Speech
Jan 4, 08 1:40 am  · 
 · 
bRink

nice speach

obama edwards '08

Jan 4, 08 2:17 am  · 
 · 
crowbert

Yo ff - if you want more votes you could always move to Barack's adopted hometown of chicago.

I like him too (Welcome to the white house, now bail out my CTA!) but judging solely by those buttons, that guy needs a better graphic designer now!

Jan 4, 08 3:13 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i got to say for a caucus victory speech that has to be one of the most amazing speeches i think i've heard. when he was doing it live last night it gave me chills...wow.

Jan 4, 08 3:29 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I was out of commission for most of the night and didn't see the full results until just now. I watched the victory speech as well, and like you beta, it gave me goosebumps.

I've been so hesitant this whole time. I've definitely been supporting Obama, giving him what little money I could and volunteering when I had time, but after the last election I got burned so bad I was afraid to believe in another candidate. I am realizing now that it's because there wasn't a candidate last time that I should believe in, and now there certainly is.

For those of you who are still hesitant about supporting Obama, I do understand.....but listen to his victory speech, and for a moment, just forget about what you think you know about the political system....forget about statements like "this country will never elect a black president".....forget about what states are supposed to vote for who, about things like electability, and how old or "experienced" you think a president is supposed to be. Just listen to the speech, and let me know if it gives you goosebumps too.

Jan 4, 08 4:36 am  · 
 · 

Yeah...

I loved his peech. He wasn't gloating or anything. Just saying lets move forward and move the country forward with us.

Jan 4, 08 8:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: