Archinect
anchor

Proper attire for Open Houses?

mgs

I'll be attending the Penn open house tomorrw (yale thursday, harvard friday, princeton monday) and I'm curious as to what sort of attire is appropriate. I went to an event at the GSD (harvard) and I was dressed business casual, everyone else showed up in casual attire I felt sort of a bit uncomfy.

Any opinions? I'm debating between nice jeans and a sweater vs. khaki's and a button down.

Oct 30, 06 1:35 am
grid

Nudism is ideal. Contrary to popular belief, all of the ivies have hidden agendas to have nude campus events.

Oct 30, 06 2:59 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Hot pants and a tube top. Regardless of if you are male or female. All the cool kids are doin' it.

Oct 30, 06 8:19 am  · 
 · 
4arch

get one of the new "architecture sucks" t shirts.

Oct 30, 06 8:26 am  · 
 · 
Oops!!

...If you have to ask then perhaps the above suggestions are appropriate. I second the hot pants for sure - nice Hasselhoff.

Oct 30, 06 8:27 am  · 
 · 

overdressing is never inappropriate, imo.

...or hot pants and a tube top, yeah.

Oct 30, 06 8:40 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

the reason people dress casual is that they have no serious clothing anymore. borrow a grand from mom and dad, go to nordstrom buy a suit, shirt, tie, belt shoes. be serious about things dammit. and don't forget the pocket square.

Oct 30, 06 9:21 am  · 
 · 
snooker

Be festive wear a Christmas Sweater.....hopefully on knit by your great grandmother.....you know the butt ugly kind.

Oct 30, 06 9:54 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

'architecture sucks' works along with your birthday suit. you want to be noticed and remembered...

but please don't wear not a tux or bow-tie.

oh, please take a shower between attending each school- the studios already stink enough from those alnighters.

Oct 30, 06 10:30 am  · 
 · 
guppy

Dude, just wear black. Why is it even question?

Oct 30, 06 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
guppy

Dude, just wear black. Why is it even question?

Oct 30, 06 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

In seriousness and practicality, I would suggest - layers, and bring a small umbrella just in case.

Walking tours of campuses = exposure to cold Northeast winds, and possibly rain.
Indoors events = could be chilly, or could be overheated.

I will see you at some of the same open houses. If someone shows up in Architecture Sucks, nude, or a tube top, I will know it is you. Unfortunately, due to the timing, I do not think that nudism or hot pants/tube top are appropriate for the schools you are visiting. Perhaps institutions in warmer climates, such as UCLA, SCI-ARC, San Diego, Arizona, etc. would be more hospitable those sartorial choices.

Oct 30, 06 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

^^And to that I should amend: a wetsuit would be another suggestion. It always coordinates with itself, is warm, and due to its nature as a container, eliminates the concern about bathing as mentioned by an above poster.

Oct 30, 06 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

just dress like you care and arrive in a helicopter.;)

seriously,
just go as before. older people respect that. it also shows that you are aware of multi tasking.
good luck and try to be yourself about others.

Oct 30, 06 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
e

puddles might tell you not to wear pants.

Oct 30, 06 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

camo tight shirt, and short cutted off from old jeans (best w/a sexy hole in one buttcheek), dont forget the high white socks with 2 red stripes on top and the red low canvas converse ;)

Oct 30, 06 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

if you go to an open house at the Univesity of Cincinnati, a sweater vest is required...bite Jerry Larson's style

Oct 30, 06 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

whatever you do, don't wear a suit. those guys are always the funniest. don't wear all black, it's overdone.

Oct 30, 06 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Might I suggest this t-shirt...

Oct 30, 06 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

That's just wrong. On many levels.

Oct 30, 06 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Go to the campus bookstore and buy matching team apparel for each school you are going to...its all about team spirit, damnit!!!

Oct 30, 06 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
Oct 30, 06 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
freq_arch

80 percent of life is showing up

Oct 30, 06 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
Oct 30, 06 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
freq_arch

ooh, how uncomfortable.
My post is stuck between bat (wo)man? and elephant wazoo survivor guy.

Oct 30, 06 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

Can you believe no one else has mentioned KOOKY EYEGLASSES yet? Hello, people!

Oct 30, 06 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

make sure you wear at least 15 pieces of flair!!!

Oct 31, 06 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
e

now vado, we all know that 15 pieces of flair is not enough.

Oct 31, 06 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

nambypambics is an excellent name. And good advice re: lots of walking around campus and not knowing how the weather might change during the day.

I also agree with Steven, as usual - being overdressed is never a bad thing. Being underdressed can be.

Of course if someone showed up at my office dressed like mdler's elephant survivor guy, I'd hire him in an instant. (No, vado, that doesn't apply to you ;-)

Oct 31, 06 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

guess i'll quit working on that costume then

Oct 31, 06 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
Nov 1, 06 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
Nov 1, 06 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

Incognito arch school spy:

- pimping style cane
- handbag with a small dog in it
- giant afro wig

Arrive in a 1980's dented up white limo, you driving it of course.

Nov 1, 06 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

a nice tie and suspenders will go well with the khakis and button down shirt.
[imghttp://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5x7lJUlFzG8AMs6jzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12pfgkb1g/EXP=1162508133/**http%3a//forum.surfermag.com/photopost/data/505/3288office-space_2_.jpg[/img]

Nov 1, 06 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake
Nov 1, 06 5:58 pm  · 
 · 

not a button down collar but a contrasting white collar! that's the stuff!

Nov 1, 06 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Just don't tuck a sweater into your pants. And never leave your beltloops empty - doens't matter what you put in them, just don't leave them empty.

Nov 1, 06 6:31 pm  · 
 · 

aw, lb. you said that my tucked in sweater might be ok... dammit.

Nov 1, 06 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Show me the sweater, Steven - it's a big maybe! You did say it was quite thin.

Nov 1, 06 6:48 pm  · 
 · 

it's black...

Nov 1, 06 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Does the black of the sweater exactly match the black of the pants? Even a subtle difference due to washing/fading/weave etc renders your all-black outfit quite suspect, as I believe you know...

Nov 1, 06 6:50 pm  · 
 · 

i'm going to argue otherwise, as you know. that article's almost finished. worked on it yesterday, aamof.

Nov 1, 06 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Can't wait to read....it's part of your new professional calling, professional reader/writer? We would all be served if you wnet into that field.

Nov 1, 06 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

you could really impress all three schools if you wore your......

Nov 1, 06 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Nov 1, 06 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

all black was never cool

Nov 2, 06 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

almost never...

Nov 2, 06 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

god is in the details...

Nov 2, 06 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England
Nov 2, 06 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
SuperWonder

Correct!

Nov 3, 06 2:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: