Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

nicey

well, i'm guessing at this point princeton is through calling its 4 admitted m.arch 1 students...bummer.

Mar 12, 07 11:44 am  · 
 · 
flyoverstate

222---well, I asked the fellow on the phone, though he didn't seem particularly sure. He doesn't actually work at the admissions office, so I guess it just wasn't his department. Hopefully it's more, oh, may-ish.

Mar 12, 07 11:53 am  · 
 · 
flyoverstate

222---well, I asked the fellow on the phone, though he didn't seem particularly sure. He doesn't actually work at the admissions office, so I guess it just wasn't his department. Hopefully it's more, oh, may-ish: it's really best for me to be completely wrong on this.

kristin_kai: I get the feeling they're slowly working through some sort of ginormous list, so no worries yet!

Mar 12, 07 11:58 am  · 
 · 
flyoverstate

whoops, ah, got a bit too enthusiastic with the submit button. >_>

Mar 12, 07 11:59 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

refresh
refresh
refresh
refresh
refresh
refresh

Damn... Still nothing.

refresh
refresh
refresh
refresh
refresh
refresh

Mar 12, 07 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Same here... Work? That can wait until next month.

I also question whether my email is working... There's been a few regularly-scheduled emails from my bank that have never come through, and nothing I send from my work email ever goes through. Maybe I should have put something other than my yahoo.com email address on my applications.

Mar 12, 07 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

kristin_kai, I'm in the same boat re: work. If I get any calls, I'm probably going to be like, "uh, thank you, Dr. so and so, for uh, letting me into that.....seminar...."

Anyone feel like creating a listserve with all of our email addresses? Or just one big "reply all"....then we could be sure that we were all getting emails, lol. I'm kinda sad too, I'm getting a lot less email than normal. I'm getting a complex :o(

Mar 12, 07 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
flyoverstate

kristin_kai—I'm M.Arch I, though I got a BA in Arch. (Not sure if that puts me in some kind of third group.) Is UCLA your first choice?

Mar 12, 07 12:18 pm  · 
 · 

WonderK, my trick was, "oh, let me step outside a minute. The reception in this office is terrible." Then I can take my phone calls in peace.

Mar 12, 07 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

A couple more weeks of this and I'm going to need counseling!

Mar 12, 07 12:20 pm  · 
 · 

kristin, I just emailed you through the archinect system, so if you don't get that in a bit, I'd start harrassing your ISP.

Mar 12, 07 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

i got my word of the day email....

Mar 12, 07 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
Fallon James

kristin_kai I was accepted to the March I program

Mar 12, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
fivepass

222 - do you work at carlos zappatos studio in nyc?

Mar 12, 07 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
fivepass

ucla - rejected for MArch 1 -- sigh..it ws my number one too

Mar 12, 07 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

82 -- were you notified by email or snailmail?

Mar 12, 07 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

not that this will necessarily make you feel any better, eightwo, but i have a friend at ucla and he doesn't like the program at all!

Mar 12, 07 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
fivepass

broccolijet - email...goodluck to all those waiting!...

Mar 12, 07 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
fivepass

does anyone have any thoughts on UIC's program...i cant really find much on them?

Mar 12, 07 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
w3

8-2. i was waitlisted at u.mich for the 2g option and rejected for their master of urban design program (i needed to get into the m.arch program to even be considered for the mud) ... it was my #2. they put 120 people on the waitlist for the 2g option - sure not leaving any room for hope.

Mar 12, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

thanks 82...keep your chin up.

Mar 12, 07 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

i applied to UIC for the 2 year program. when i visited the school, everyone i talked to was extremely helpful, made me feel good about them. here's what i have as their school philosophy:

the philosophy of the school of architecture is that the study of architecture is pluralistic in its intentions. at uic, we view architectural design as a synthetic, creative response to the many forces acting on built form. in keeping with this multi-faceted approach to design, we believe that cultural, as well as technological knowledge is crucial to those who will shape the profession. our faculty strives to catalyze critical and analytical skills in students who will not simply take part in the field of architecture; they will lead it.

they also have a barcelona study abroad for the second year students. at least, i'm pretty sure it's barcelona.

Mar 12, 07 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
Fallon James

82 the application process is so arbitrary. you never know what they are looking for in an application. If it makes you feel any better I got accepted to UCLA and rejected from UIC. UIC is an up and coming program. You should definitley visit and check it out.

Mar 12, 07 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

82 - nope, I don't work at carlos zappatos studio in NY. Why do you ask?

Mar 12, 07 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
zundfolge

Hrm....no news from UCLA yet...but that's okay. The email can wait until tonight, after I've had a chance to have a few vodka shots.

Mar 12, 07 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
fivepass

222 oh bc my really good friend works for them and just called princeton back today after getting a message from them on friday...so she just found out she was in today

Mar 12, 07 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

After lunchtime here and still nothing... Time for my daily anxiety attack.

I wish I could just hibernate for the rest of the month, and then wake up on March 31st to have all my decision letters and emails waiting for me.

Mar 12, 07 3:10 pm  · 
 · 

It has been 2x harder to concentrate this morning than it was last week. I've spent the weekend preparing for the Seattle trip, shopping for clothes (compromise- well cut clothes in dark colors with funky shoes and only my ear hardware for jewelry), working on wrapping up a couple of pieces for my portfolio and diagramming the layout, looking up iteneraries and airline rules. It is sooo hard to sit through work with all this on my mind.

I've also decided that I'm not going to do anything about Savannah for the time being, because it probably won't be worth it. The 10k/year scholarship only brings SCAD to be $1500 cheaper than UW for the whole two years, and SCAD is lower on my list. So if I can just get into UW, then it would automatically drop SCAD from contention, I think. So I'm going to worry about the UW interview and not think about the possibilities with SCAD.

Mar 12, 07 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

congrats to those who got in to ucla....i am still waiting. I have heard nothing from 7 schools

Mar 12, 07 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
zundfolge

Kristin: M.arch 1 at 4 schools. UCLA=first choice, least likely. I've not gotten decisions from anywhere yet.

Mar 12, 07 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
+i

so once you decide you're going to school, and assuming you've been accepted, are people telling their firms right away? or are they gonna wait until later in the early summer to tell em? i am so excited i can barely contain myself, but i need to keep my job until july...

Mar 12, 07 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I've been very public with my grad school plans since I began working here, so I haven't had to keep any secrets. Good thing, too, because I don't think that rouse would have lasted five minutes.

Downside is, if I get rejected from all my schools, that will most likely be public knowledge as well.

Mar 12, 07 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
w3

+i - my firm has known that i'm going to school for a while. i had to tell my boss initially because i wanted a rec. but it was worth it to not be wondering what might happen. overall i think its super responsible to tell early...and i think most employers appreciate that. my thoughts are that any employer worth his/her salt would be more than welcoming to the knowledge that you would be leaving in july. unless your firm is struggling financially - it wouldn't make any sense for them to get rid of you sooner. it's to their benefit to keep you around as you've already been trained, etc.. .

Mar 12, 07 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
+i

well that was my problem last year, everyone knew and i didnt get in. so this year i just kept it to myself. but now that ive got accepted, id love to tell everyone...

Mar 12, 07 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
w3

where have you been accepted +i ?

Mar 12, 07 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Same here, LiG - everybody knows about my plans, so if I don't get in, I'll be disappointed and slightly embarrassed. Ouch.

And..... no mail today, with no chance of notification until tomorrow at the earliest.

I'm starting to crack under the stress, and I'm taking my girlfriend down with me. Not sleeping much these days (even less than the normal 5 - 6 hours I get).

Mar 12, 07 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

I think you should tell your employer your intentions. i don't see how any reasonable person could be upset with you for wanting to go to grad school. also, if you don't tell them now and you decide to tell them a couple weeks before you move then you are gonna look like an ass cause they will know that you had been planning this for a while. my opinion is just be honest, you may need them as a reference later on and you probably don't want any negative opinions from them.

Mar 12, 07 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
+i

w3, youre probably right. besides, i may be coming back to this firm when im done- so i think i will just go ahead and tell em.

Mar 12, 07 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
nicey

same here

Mar 12, 07 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Again, I'm going to be the maverick and disagree. What if you don't work for reasonable people? What if you have no intentions of ever coming back? What if it's more detrimental to your career if you DO stay at your current firm? I need to take care of myself, and I must sound like a broken record by now, but they aren't finding out until I know where I'm going, how I'm going, how much it will cost, and when I'm leaving. Honestly, I really don't feel like I owe them any more than that.

Mar 12, 07 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

sounds like you should leave now, then.

Mar 12, 07 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

+i- I went through this dilemma a few pages back, when I needed to ask for time off to go on an interview + visit. I ended up telling them, and they were not the 'reasonable people' that cpnorris described in that they were definitely upset, but they were also glad I told them instead of continuing to hide it. It's hard for others to tell you what to do in this situation- not all bosses are created equal, not all situations fit a mold. I was told by many people to keep my mouth shut until I was 100% sure of where I was going and that I could afford it, but I still felt that I should tell my employer (indeed, that I would be lucky to get my days off without doing so). I did, and it feels good to have that out there.

Mar 12, 07 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
+i

if i were still working for some firms that i had worked at while in an undergrad B.Arch program, i would entirely agree with you, WonderK. i actually really like the place im at now, and they have been entirely supportive- even to the financial end- of my research and other ventures... so i do feel like i owe them a little more. if this were somewhere else, id probably say f&ck it

Mar 12, 07 4:44 pm  · 
 · 

That's exactly what I'm talking about.... if you have a gut feeling based on the circumstances that you're in at the moment, I think it's best to go with that feeling. We certainly aren't going to talk you out of feeling that way, all we can do is reaffirm a decision you've already made subconciously, or make you more nervous about it.

Mar 12, 07 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

I'm not really sure how to approach my boss either. The people on my team know I'm going to school but I think I need to quit directly to the president (who happens to be the partner-in-charge on my project). But we have NO relationship. Its not like he hates me...we just never have anything to do with each other. I don't go to the meetings with the client and he never talks to me. So...it's just...awkward. Anyone else in the same position?

Mar 12, 07 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I can see the merits to both sides of the argument here... As WonderK mentioned, not all bosses are reasonable.

I was upfront with my educational plans when I first interviewed here, so it's never really come up as an issue. However, if I had been hired first and then decided to go to grad school, it might be a different ball of wax. My bosses generally act like jilted lovers when somebody announces their plans to leave the firm, but in my case at least there's no way they can say they didn't see this coming.

If I don't get in anywhere this year, I'll most likely end up leaving this job anyway for greener pastures in NYC. At that point I'll have to decide how upfront to be about my 2008 grad school plans when I'm interviewing with firms there. I guess in that case I'd have somewhat of an advantage is that I'd be applying to schools in NYC itself, so (assuming I like the firm) I could raise the possibility of continuing to work there during breaks, summers, etc.

Mar 12, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

Not that he will respond badly to me going to grad school - I have no architecture degrees and they knew I was going to be applying to grad school when they hired me. They just might not know that I am leaving in May, rather than August. Also, the partner that hired me is different from the partner I "work with" now. Bah!

Mar 12, 07 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I guess I'm looking at it from a self-preservation stand-point.....I have nothing to fall back on financially. I have no husband, no boyfriend, no trust fund, no dog, nothing.....and one of the best thing about going away to school is that it gives me some distance from my family (a unique situation, I assure you), so I won't be rushing to them for money, either. So essentially I have to be sure that I am earning money until the last possible week.

I am also in a situation where I am imagining that I will be facing complete bewilderment from some of my coworkers, possibly even some teasing (again, this is acceptable here for some reason). Frankly I don't want to deal with that for an entire spring.

So, yeah, case by case basis.

I guess I'll explain this all again in 5 pages when it comes up then too....

:o)

Mar 12, 07 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
+i

well my biggest issue is that if i leave before my 1 year anniversary on july 31st, then i have to pay back my $2k moving stipend. and i sure as hell am not going to do that.

Mar 12, 07 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
Alackrity

My opinion on that is my personal plans are MY personal plans. Professional etiquette only dictates 2 weeks notice, any more than that is considered generous.

but..

I told my firm I was applying as a courtesy and in response they have hired another whom I have been training. All fine and dandy but I am left wondering what to do if I am not accepted.

I guess i'm going somewhere like it or not.

:P

Mar 12, 07 5:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: