Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

sparch

jbarkerii

did you get into UIUC?

ok now i am freaking out
that's first choice...

Mar 10, 07 1:19 am  · 
 · 
Balagan

miss_j

Yeah, I asked that same question a while ago.

However, I saw on Grad Cafe an international student who says he/she was admitted to the GSD, by email. Another was also rejected by email. I'm guessing international applicants are notified by email first, then the formal letter arrives later in the post.

Mar 10, 07 1:26 am  · 
 · 
miss_j

Balagan - ah thanks for that... I did not apply to GSD though and schools probably have different ways of notifying applicants... I'm hoping news come through by emails first... would be insane if i have to wait till after April.

Mar 10, 07 1:34 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

miss_ j , I'm in Canada, but have not applied to any American schools this time around (my first). Maybe next year, we shall see.

I don't know anybody else (in real life) who's going through this right now, so it's frustrating to not be able to share this experience. Plus, it would be nice if I actually knew somebody who'd been through the program I'm applying to, other than the member here called 'jump' (who's been helpful and encouraging, even if he doesn't know it).

Tomorrow is Saturday. No mail delivery here on the weekends. :(

Mar 10, 07 3:32 am  · 
 · 
Balagan

Yeah, I'd imagine they tell you sometime mid-march, or most people wouldn't be able to book a flight and set up travel plans on such short notice (Most open houses for admitted applicants are scheduled for early April). It would really suck if we had to wait till April to know. MIT's website says they let you know before April 15! That's royally slow...=(

Mar 10, 07 7:19 am  · 
 · 
fuzzy_atelier

Miss_j, Balagan,

I'm an international applicant as well. Given that I'm 13 hours ahead of the U.S. East Coast, I have the tendency to stay up late (online - I LOOK forward to 10PM onwards every night!), squint my eyes to check my mobile phone's beeping red light in bed (it will flash a red light after missed calls) and JUMP up from my bed to logon and check my email at the first instance in the morning. After work everyday, of course, I would RUN in the house to look for any big envelope the moment I have parked my car. The anxiety is made worse by the fact that it takes 10 days for anything to reach this part of the world from U.S. by snail mail... and guess what, this is just the beginning!

Mar 10, 07 7:31 am  · 
 · 
miss_j

slantix - i was so closed to applying to UBC...but didn't in the end. and yea, I know what you mean about not knowing anyone else in real life who is applying for archi grad school... this is just such a bloody big step for me but no one to relate to and share the experience :(

Balagan - are you actually thinking of going to open houses?? just not possible for me and it really sucks not being able to visit. -if- i were accepted...i just don't know how I'm going to decide.

fuzzy - yep... the other night I couldn't sleep and had to log on to check email and archinect. where abouts are you from?

Mar 10, 07 8:16 am  · 
 · 
baboomba

Hey everyone. Still on vacation. NYC yesterday and today and then New Haven tonight. Good luck to everyone this week. Hopefully I'll have some decisions in my mailbox when I get back on Friday.

Mar 10, 07 8:20 am  · 
 · 
baboomba

Hey everyone. Still on vacation. NYC yesterday and today and then New Haven tonight. Good luck to everyone this week. Hopefully I'll have some decisions in my mailbox when I get back on Friday.

Mar 10, 07 8:22 am  · 
 · 
Balagan

miss_j - Well, its a possibility, provided I have enough advance notice. I see it as a small price to pay compared to the big investment in terms of tuition and such. Besides, nothing beats seeing a school in person, might sway my decision one way or the other. Of course, that depends on HAVING options to choose from in the first place =)

I just find it kinda risky committing so much based on website, hearsay, and reputation alone. So if I can pull it, I'll visit.

Mar 10, 07 8:34 am  · 
 · 
miss_j

You're absolutely right but I just can't get the time off and really can't afford to fly over... where are you from Balagan? I bet your flight ticket would be cheaper than mine!

Mar 10, 07 8:41 am  · 
 · 
fuzzy_atelier

Miss_j,

I'm in Asia. I see that you're in Melbourne. Did you study there as well?

Mar 10, 07 8:41 am  · 
 · 
+2

Its 8:30 in the morning....WHY IN THE HELL HASNT THE MAIL MAN COME ALREADY?

lol

Mar 10, 07 8:43 am  · 
 · 
Balagan

Miss_j,

I'm in Taiwan, so maybe I'm pretty close to fuzzy. Heh.

Mar 10, 07 8:46 am  · 
 · 
Balagan

We all exhibit the same symptoms. Obsessive email inbox refreshing, cell phone checking, and waiting in ambush for the mailman. Oh, and refreshing this thread every 5 minutes. Then there's Grad Cafe too. =P

Mar 10, 07 8:48 am  · 
 · 
miss_j

fuzzy - i went to uni (undergrad) in the US actually, but came back here for work and also a bit of studying. I don't know why I keep on wanting to move back and forth...

balagan - i was just in TP and saw the amazing Sung exhibition.

Mar 10, 07 8:58 am  · 
 · 
Balagan

Miss_j -

Oh really, at the Palace Museum?

Funny, I haven't seen it yet. *shame*

So much people, I feel queasy just looking at the queue.

Mar 10, 07 9:01 am  · 
 · 
miss_j

shame balagan shame!!

Mar 10, 07 9:02 am  · 
 · 
Balagan

Ha ha ha, I guess its just a case of no motivation to see stuff that's just right by your home. Hell, I bet there's an Italian somewhere who's never been to the Parthenon.

Mar 10, 07 9:05 am  · 
 · 
miss_j

balagan - but this exhibition is once in a lifetime kind of thing. and it'll be over soon. the Pantheon will always be there!
time for bed. night night

Mar 10, 07 9:08 am  · 
 · 
Balagan

Ooops, I meant Greek.

Shows you what all this stress is doing to our minds. =P

My bad.

Mar 10, 07 9:09 am  · 
 · 
Balagan

Yeah, bed-time for me too. So the night shift signs off, awaiting the day shift of Archinectors to start their stress-filled, anxiety-riddled day. GO!!!!!

Mar 10, 07 9:12 am  · 
 · 
nambypambics

Is it possible to do that filtering .edu domain emails to mobile phones via gmail?
If so, can someone provide instructions?

:)

Mar 10, 07 9:13 am  · 
 · 
fuzzy_atelier

It's weekend... we can at least have some peace and quiet before the vicious circle starts again on Monday! :) Night...

Mar 10, 07 9:20 am  · 
 · 
nambypambics
MIT's website says they let you know before April 15!

Well I'm sure the architecture school will let at least the admitted applicants know a couple weeks before April 6, since that's their open house!

Mar 10, 07 10:43 am  · 
 · 
nambypambics

errr.. rather, [b]April 5[/].

Mar 10, 07 10:43 am  · 
 · 
nambypambics
April 5

!!!!!

Mar 10, 07 10:44 am  · 
 · 
ddyy

so I am freaking out, since gsd and gsapp sent out acceptance to international students...does it mean people who are getting later emails are rejected? how does it work? aghhhh

sucks to be 13 hrs faster than eastern time. and its the weekend!!

how many people get in for those two schools for m.arch per year?

Mar 10, 07 10:50 am  · 
 · 
cpnorris

they want an incoming class of 60 at GSD and they break that down into 5 studios of 12 students. But I think they may let in a little less this year cause they are getting over crowded. I may be wrong about that but I was just there visiting the school last week and I thought I remembered the graduate advisor telling me that.

Mar 10, 07 10:54 am  · 
 · 

the weekend definitely does not mean peace and quiet. The weekend actually just means distractions. But I'm really hoping for mail from CCA today.

Mar 10, 07 10:57 am  · 
 · 
ddyy

weekend sucks- and its freakin snowing over here- wtf- making it even more depressing.

good luck to everyone

Mar 10, 07 11:11 am  · 
 · 
Chch

ddyy -

have you heard of anyone recieving gsd acceptance emails yet? Where did you hear that they have begun notifying people?

Mar 10, 07 11:17 am  · 
 · 
potatoe

my friend got the call from princeton yesturday...

Mar 10, 07 11:41 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

In a way, I feel lucky. My school said that all letters would be sent in the mail by March 9th. No emails, no phone calls. Snail mail.

Next week is the window when I expect to get some sort of letter. I'm thankful for having such a concise timeline spelled out, because I don't have to bother checking phone messages, emails, etc....

At least not as much as most of you, anyway. Part of me still believes that I'll get an email or whatnot. Ha.

Mar 10, 07 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I am living in a state of total ignorance as to when my notifications will be sent. I find it too stressful to even think about calling. Maybe I should though. Ack, maybe not.

I am amazed by the international applicants. We should set up a Google map with everyone's locations on it. And then update it when we actually go to school!

Mar 10, 07 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

UIUC? anyone? any news?

Mar 10, 07 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Nothing in the mail today, except for a nice birthday card and a $50 check from my parents. May as well relax and enjoy the rest of the weekend. Let the games begin anew on Monday.

Mar 10, 07 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
w3

at this point i'm only waiting on uva and colorado. colorado told me they will send out letters next week. uva - apparently is in the mail...based on the recent posts of acceptance...have not received mine yet. expectations are low of getting a good letter from them - i got wait listed for the u.mich 2g (along w/ 119 others...wtf?) so the chances of actually getting into uva are slim to none. damn.

Mar 10, 07 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
squaredavis

Friend of mine (American student living in Cambridge, MA) received rejection (I don't know if it was mail or email) from GSD in last few days.

Mar 10, 07 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
potatoe

so has anyone been rejected from ucla for the march1?....im assuming since i havent heard from them still that i got rejected.

Mar 10, 07 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

i just got a phone call from UCLA this afternoon.... I'm in :) I just had to share it with my old pals in this thread first.

YESSSSSS!

Mar 10, 07 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
Pocket Mies

OK, just got back from NYC...
I'm going out to get drunk now. I mean really drunk...then tomorrow I will be so hung over all day I won't concern myself with things outside of my control...

Oh,
congrats nambypambics!

Now to the bar....

Mar 10, 07 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

wow, they're calling people on saturdays. yay, that's awesome namby!! congratulations. is that your first choice?

Mar 10, 07 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
hallojii

got accepted from parsons today :) :) :) !! (m.arch1) it feels good to get the fat package! best of luck to allll

Mar 10, 07 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Congrats, nambypambics and hallojii!

Mar 10, 07 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

congrats all!!!!!

Mar 10, 07 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
ddyy

chch- I got it from the gradcafe.com well I guess, we will know the result by the end of the month- either getting rejected or accepted.

Mar 10, 07 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

Congratulations nambypics! And happy birthday Living in Gin!

Mar 10, 07 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
Alackrity

yesterday my mail person was myteriously absent.

Today we found a note on the gate saying our mail delivery has been suspended until the lock on the gate is fixed so she can get in to the post boxes.

I'm like, oh thats nice.

Then I see her across the street and go have a word about it.

mail person say- key no worky

I say- key also fit gate around corner.. next to where boxes are

mail person say- me no wanna walk back to put key back in thingy so no mail for you.

words escape me.

Gets better. I can't walk down and retrieve it down the street at the post office. All of the buildings mail is being held at main sorting office until mail person is accomodated.

I measured an extra 12ft. going to the other gate.

Mar 10, 07 9:25 pm  · 
 · 

only thing in mailbox today - Netflix. Why does it take longer to get from there to here than it does from here to there? Or maybe bigger packages take longer...? ;) But that might just be wishful thinking on my part, it could be a little envelope.

Mar 10, 07 10:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: