Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

Living in Gin

By the way, congrats DMC.... $30k scholarship at UMich doesn't suck at all.

Mar 8, 07 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

all this ucla talk is giving me fucking ulcers.

still nothing.

in my opinion, they should send out the rejections first to let 'em/us off the stress hook. why prolong the agony?!?

Mar 9, 07 12:35 am  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

do you people get like this when applying for jobs?

Mar 9, 07 12:37 am  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

no

Mar 9, 07 12:41 am  · 
 · 

Definitely not. But this is different, at least fo rme. It's a start of a completely new chapter in my life, a different city but I don't know which one, and that makes a big difference. If I were applying for a job, there would be a lot fewer variables in play here.

Mar 9, 07 1:55 am  · 
 · 
zundfolge

My goodness, this thread has gotten popular lately.

No news from any of my schools. But...I think think I know the way of the future:

Decision notification by text message!

We'll see ;p

Mar 9, 07 2:09 am  · 
 · 
nambypambics

zund - u r in ucla xoxox =)

Mar 9, 07 2:23 am  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

how reliable is that grad cafe website you posted ding? someone posted they heard back from gsd... but theyre not supposed to send out letters until the first week of april i thought??

Mar 9, 07 2:28 am  · 
 · 
haano

someone apparently got rejected by gsd...
gradcafe.com

Mar 9, 07 2:29 am  · 
 · 
nambypambics

clem ur not in gsd lol :P

Mar 9, 07 2:29 am  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo haha

Mar 9, 07 2:31 am  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

maybe theyre just sending out rejections by email, thats why i havent recieved one yet ....................

Mar 9, 07 2:32 am  · 
 · 
nambypambics

thegradcafe.com person seems to have been notified of their rejection on March 9, even though they posted it to the site on March 8.

I think someone is merely pulling our chain.

Mar 9, 07 2:40 am  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

check out under instutuions.. Click C.. scroll down to columbia, masters in architecture masters... someone said they were accepted by phone, but also on the 9th but posted on the 8th? wtf... ok im not looking at that site anymore!

Mar 9, 07 2:48 am  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

i'm starting to have mild panic/anxiety attacks everytime i check this thread now. ...what if people have started hearing back and i haven't?

Mar 9, 07 3:17 am  · 
 · 
hobbitte

Here's some good news for all you worrywarts - it's most likely this person is:

- an international student (explains the time difference and why it appears to have been posted one day earlier)

- has not applied to MArch but one of the other post-prof programmes
(i.e. MAAD or MSAUD)

If you look closer, GSAPP website does mention that international students will be notified of admission much earlier than others because these latter programmes start in the summer and they need time to apply for visa!

Best of luck to all...

Mar 9, 07 5:18 am  · 
 · 
Japhy

Actually it appears that the student on gradcafe is American (they have an "A" status). Perhaps they're studying abroad?

Mar 9, 07 8:27 am  · 
 · 
autonomous

its still early, mind you--- last year i went through this too and didnt find out until nearly the end of march. columbia sent them out in a big wave last year toward the end of march. in fact, columbia was one of the last ones to notify. GSD sent them out in smaller waves between telephone calls and emails/postal. UC Berkeley will email first, letter later. so dont freak if you havent heard anything.

not to mention, for many schools this week is the ACSA Conference in Philly- much of the faculty at all of these schools attend this conference.

Mar 9, 07 8:42 am  · 
 · 
autonomous

oh, and hobitte is right,
m.arch II's/post-professionals find out at different times than m.arch I's. its a different ball game for post-prof students

Mar 9, 07 8:51 am  · 
 · 
spankyspank

spankyspank has something to say! Yale has not made final desisions yet......

Mar 9, 07 9:39 am  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

has anyone called columbia or the gsd and found anything out?

Mar 9, 07 9:45 am  · 
 · 
natnatG

I wish id hear from somewhere before spring break at least, otherwise Ill......

Mar 9, 07 10:14 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Today is going to be long and painful. Up through yesterday I was scrambling to issue a set of drawings and write a couple papers for school. Stressful as hell, but at least the time passed quickly. Now that stuff is complete, so I'm left with a fair amount of slack time today to not do much other than wait for emails and refresh this thread.

At least I'm going out for dinner and drinks with a friend after work this evening. Regardless of whether I get good news, bad news, or no news today, I'll be in the mood for some heavy drinking.

Mar 9, 07 10:49 am  · 
 · 
broccolijet

nah, i certainly don't stress this much about jobs...it's just that this equates to a potential major career change for me with pretty hefty financial implications.

other folks here can add potentially moving to a new city to that mix. pretty major life changes...

thus the anxiety.

Mar 9, 07 10:52 am  · 
 · 
broccolijet

LiG -- a small glass of wine turned into the whole bottle for me last night. felt pretty good actually.

Mar 9, 07 10:54 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Same here... Even though I'm not switching careers per se, this is still a big new chapter, a major step on my road to becoming a registered architect, and a lifestyle change. Moving to a new city is also a big part of the anxiety... I wish I could be scoping out housing options online and planning a move, but I don't even know where I'll be moving to yet.

A change of jobs has its own level of stress and anxiety, but nothing like this. The last time I was this anxious about getting a job was when I first interviewed for a student internship at Perkins + Will. I had been working a series of crappy retail jobs up until that point, and the possibility of getting hired by a large, well-respected architecture firm represented a quantum leap for my career. (I eventually got the job, and stayed there for over three years.)

That said, my job changes since then have become more of a ho-hum affair. Since leaving P+W, most of my jobs have simply been a means to pay the bills while occasionally being allowed to do some design work. Going to grad school and getting my M.Arch. will hopefully be my way of breaking out of this rut.

Mar 9, 07 11:02 am  · 
 · 
nambypambics

I've not turned to alcohol, but to purse and shoe searching.
I have not made purchases yet, but I'm looking.

Mar 9, 07 11:02 am  · 
 · 
broccolijet

so how much time have you spent on zappos, namby?

Mar 9, 07 11:06 am  · 
 · 
nambypambics

I don't even knowwwwwwwwwwwww anymore.

Mar 9, 07 11:08 am  · 
 · 
broccolijet

LiG -- when you were at P+W, did you feel like you were getting increased responsibilities? or at least that they were willing to give you as much as you wanted to take on?

Mar 9, 07 11:09 am  · 
 · 
broccolijet

i have this strange notion/need to keep trying to find a website that i can browse to that will somehow miraculously be some backdoor hack into the mind of the admissions committees to get my decision immediately if not sooner...hmm.

Mar 9, 07 11:12 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

For the first year or so, yes. When I started there I was barely good for sharpening pencils and making coffee, so I really had nowhere to go but up. They trained me on AutoCAD so that I could be more useful to them, and I got tons of experience building models. Typical entry-level intern stuff. After a while I was setting up drawings for some small bread-and-butter projects, I was doing some decent-looking presentation drawings, and I had become somewhat of a resident AutoCAD guru. I wasn't really making any design decisions personally, but I was usually included in the project team meetings where such decisions were being made.

However, after maybe two years there I had hit somewhat of a plateu in terms of my responsibilities. I had advanced about as far as I could go without a professional degree, and my academic career was faltering in a big way. I was also facing some pretty serious health and financial issues, so I had to seek out a higher-paying job with more responsibilities at a smaller firm.

P+W wasn't perfect by any stretch, but overall I look back upon it as an incredibly transformative experience that gave me a solid foundation upon which to build the rest of my career.

Mar 9, 07 11:26 am  · 
 · 
NEWS

: I got a call at 8AM saying that I was accepted to SCAD, with a 10k scholarship!!! Nice to start off the day with good news for once.

Mar 9, 07 11:39 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Congrats! Savannah is a beautiful city.

Mar 9, 07 11:41 am  · 
 · 
Alackrity

good ice cream there.

Mar 9, 07 11:49 am  · 
 · 

They let you resubmit your portfolio to try and get a bigger fellowship, so I'm going to do so once I've got the new portfolio together for UW, I'll send a copy for them as well. I figure it can't hurt to try!

Mar 9, 07 11:50 am  · 
 · 
nambypambics

Ooooh yeahhhh, awesome, rationalist!!!!!

Mar 9, 07 11:51 am  · 
 · 
Alackrity

is anyone else doing pre req. classes right now?
My BA was fine arts so now i'm having to do Calculus.

:(

Mar 9, 07 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

Yes, congrats!!! That portfolio resubmission thing is COOL. Have you heard of other schools allowing that?

Mar 9, 07 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

I've dont most of the prereqs...but I think I still need to take Physics this summer. Bummer.

Mar 9, 07 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'll have to do calculus (and possibly physics) before I start grad school. I'll most likely do it on a distance-learning basis through Texas Tech, but I'm holding off on registering for it until I get an admissions decision. Finishing the rest of my BA between now and the rest of the summer should be relatively painless for me, but I'm truly dreading calculus.

Mar 9, 07 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

Ugh prereqs.....I took Physics I and Pre-Calc last year, but will probably have to take Calculus I this summer (I'm also waiting to hear where and if I get in)

Mar 9, 07 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

congrats rationalist!!!

Mar 9, 07 12:31 pm  · 
 · 

I have not heard of other schools doing that. It does seem like a uniquely cool thing, and I'll definitely try to squeeze a few more grand out of them. = )

Happy day, happy day, now my project manager's BS bounces right off me...

Mar 9, 07 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

By some miracle I decided to take 2 calculus courses in college (no content of which I remember at all whatsoever...) so it's just physics for me. Schools don't require physics with lab, right?

Mar 9, 07 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

congrats rationalist! what program did you apply to at scad?

Mar 9, 07 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
Alackrity

my brother in law used to teach at scad.

Mar 9, 07 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

222, i think most physics courses include a lab portion......ususally the only difference between two physics I courses will be that some are calc-based and some are not (go for the non-calc based if at all possible!)

Mar 9, 07 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

I took Physics with a lab. Not sure if there is another way. I guess it could be different if it were at a community college or something like that.

Mar 9, 07 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

Anyone know anything about Santa Monica Community College or other community colleges in the LA area? I think I am going to try and take physics there over the summer, but they have all these different physics options and I can't figure out which courses are 6-weeks and which are 8-weeks... Here are last summer's physics offerings at SMC

Mar 9, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: