Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

nambypambics

baboomba, you are saying what we are all thinking.

Mar 7, 07 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Thank you, Namby. I'm better now.

Mar 7, 07 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I've been listening to Pink Floyd's The Wall in its entirety. Somehow it seems fitting.

Mar 7, 07 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

How can you have any pudding when you don't eat your meat?

Mar 7, 07 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

We don't need no education!

· 

I am confounded as to why it takes this long. Surely, for the most part, they take five minutes to look at a portfolio, and can say "Yes", "No!", or "Maybe....". Then the "Maybe" pile gets another look after they see how big the "Yes" pile is, then the "Maybe"s get reclassified as "Yes"s or "No"s. Then they actually look at the rest of the crap just to confirm the decisions, and take a few minutes to think about scholarships and potential TA's and such. Really, for most of these schools this can't take more than two solid days. Given that the faculty don't have two solid days with no distractions, call it a week of hard work. We submitted this crap MONTHS ago to some of these schools. What gives?

· 
baboomba

Man, I don't know but let's play some dodgeball!

Mar 7, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
squaredavis

I know it seems weird, but I just called the admissions department and asked when acceptance letters would be sent for MDesS program at GSD...person on phone didn't hesitate...she just said, "First week in April." I have no idea whether that means anything for most of you.

Mar 7, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Dammit, I want my personal phone call from Toshiko.

Mar 7, 07 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Me too.

I've got a great idea. Let's invite Toshiko and the other deans to the dodgeball game...after we get our rejection letters.

Victory will be ours.

Mar 7, 07 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
nicey

i think i know who TED is...

Mar 7, 07 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

uh-oh. Who?

Mar 7, 07 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

this is going to mess up my summer plan

Mar 7, 07 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
theTracer

For the record, I had nothing to do with the Yale Blows thread, in case anybody is reading.

Mar 7, 07 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

apparently, you don't just get a call from toshiko, you get a day at the spa with her.

Mar 7, 07 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
nicey

just clicked refresh on wolverine access and was notified of my acceptance to michigan! anyone waiting to hear should log on...

Mar 7, 07 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

(Resists urge to respond to that one, just in case somebody is watching.)

· 
Living in Gin

Congrats, Nicey!

· 
w3

which option did you apply to nicey?

Mar 7, 07 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

i may be wrong but i think i remember the lady at GSD telling me that they were accepting less students this year cause they are getting a bit overcrowded. i hope i'm wrong...

Mar 7, 07 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Congratulations, Nicey!

Mar 7, 07 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
nicey

3G (MArch I elsewhere)

Mar 7, 07 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
citizen4nr

I GOT INTO UMICH!!! 3G! I'm still waiting for GSD and Pratt, but UMICH is my first choice so I'm so stoked!!!!!!!

Mar 7, 07 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Congrats!

Mar 7, 07 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

O.k. I'm going home now. Please let there be a fat envelope in my mailbox.

Mar 7, 07 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
dmc

uhm, why does my umich application status say "app not complete" when i got an email from admissions long ago saying that it was...? weird.

Mar 7, 07 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ugh. No mail for me. Again.

Mar 7, 07 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
secondhush

Has anyone heard anything from Rice

Mar 7, 07 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
nolasara

Okay, I can't lurk anymore - I'm waiting back for word, too, and I need to turn to some outside commiseration before I drive my boyfriend and myself crazy...

My situation: I applied to several MLA programs (already have my M. Arch. and am currently working) last year, but I live in New Orleans and decided in the end I should put off grad school for a year and work in the rebuilding boom a little longer (both for the experience and the $$ - no regrets on either end).

Anyway, no one would let me flat-out defer, I had to re-apply everywhere. I was accepted to Berkeley last year, and that's still my first choice, but now I'm worried that maybe they won't like me this year since I turned them down last year. (more paranoia than anything else - I think my portfolio vastly improved this year - but you never know). I still have my acceptance email saved so I know exactly what day and what MINUTE I got notice. It was exactly a year ago tomorrow. If I don't hear back from them at 11:28 CST tomorrow, I'm automatically assuming the worst. My brain works like that.

Mar 7, 07 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

No mail for me either, WonderK.

Mar 7, 07 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Every time the phone rings, I hope the ID will show that it's a university calling.

Mar 7, 07 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
w3

so this is worse than a rejection. i got the e-mail from u.mich saying that i could view my app. online and see my admissions decision. i go to view it - and no decision is posted. nothing - the link that they said would be on there simply isn't. my app. is complete, etc.. but no decision. it looks just like it has the last two months. doesn't that suck ass? everyone has gone home for the day there now so i have to wait until tomorrow to make a call...

Mar 7, 07 7:33 pm  · 
 · 

ouch. I'd definitely be stressed, too. Hopefully they'll understand though.

To curb my crazy artistic impulses, I scheduled a haircut this weekend at the Vidal Sassoon Academy. You can get great crazy haircuts there for a bargain. The main drawback is that they take forever, but I'm tired of having to straighten my wavy hair, and the real Vidal Sassoon costs too damned much.

Mar 7, 07 7:36 pm  · 
 · 

I've still got an hour at work, and am starting to get anxious about whether there's anything waiting for me in my mailbox...

Mar 7, 07 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I just got home from work, and had a big fat envolope waiting for me from... Steelcase touting their new line of office furniture.

First week of March is now over, and no news.

Mar 7, 07 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

I got nothing but junk. By the way, any words from RISD? What do you guys think about RISD? I am not a big fan of their studio - mixed with undergrad and grad. Any thoughts?

Mar 7, 07 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
w3

dmc - did you have an admissions decision posted for U.Mich?

Mar 7, 07 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Without having to look back at last year's thread, does anyone know when Yale or UVa notified last year? I thought those two notified first week of March.

Mar 7, 07 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

baboomba, i think princeton and yale both notified around the 10th of march.

rationalist, you should get a magic straight perm!

Mar 7, 07 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
Alackrity

I wasn't even thinking about it until I checked this thread two days ago. Now i'm obsessing.
:)

Mar 7, 07 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

New guy! So brer M., to which schools did you apply?

Mar 7, 07 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

the first year students i talked to at yale said that last year yale was the first school to notify them and that they were more on the ball than other schools. the lady in admissions told me that their goal is to have all their letters and financial aid offers out to each student by or before april 1st.

Mar 7, 07 8:12 pm  · 
 · 

Froccli- and how much does Magic Straight Perm cost? Yeah, that's what I though...

Mar 7, 07 8:16 pm  · 
 · 

er, that's what I 'thought'...

Mar 7, 07 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

ugh, another day with no phone calls, emails, or letters from any schools......time to switch from cadbury mini eggs to wine, hee hee hee

Mar 7, 07 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

In order to distract myself from worrying about all of this, I have:

-bought new glasses (check)
-started a new web site project (in progress)
-caught up on my oscar nominated movies (in progress)
-caught up with my best buds (check)
-started researching biodiesel cars (in progress)
-started to help a friend plan a move away from a psycho roommate (can't work fast enough on this one)

I suggest projects for everyone. Projects are good.

Mar 7, 07 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Kalyani, I switched to wine days ago....

;o)

Mar 7, 07 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Hell, I'm already on scotch.

Mar 7, 07 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

I have been going to the driving range. Release my frustration on those little white balls.

Mar 7, 07 9:47 pm  · 
 · 

Another day, no news.

I think I've got some sour apple schnapps in the cupboard...

I'm planning a weekend of nice, distracting shopping in addition to the 3 hour plus hair appointment. Except that some of the shopping is for interview clothes, but oh well. And tomorrow I'm helping some undergrads back at SC with resumes and such. And I've got class this weekend. So basically if I can make it til the weekend, I'll be ok for another couple of days.

Mar 7, 07 9:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: