Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

baboomba

Yale? Anyone? Anyone?

Mar 6, 07 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Harvard - Still waiting
MIT - Still waiting
Rice - Still waiting
UT - Still waiting
UVa - Still waiting
Yale - Still waiting

Mar 6, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 

MICA- still waiting
UW (Seattle)- interview
CCA- still waiting
Pratt- still waiting
SCAD- still waiting
RIT- still waiting

Mar 6, 07 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

wgp3: no i didn't. How the hell did i get into UW and 6th ranked-Wash U? I don't care. Those two are good enough.

Mar 6, 07 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

damn secondhush! 2 schools offering full tuition waivers. thats awesome! congratulations

Mar 6, 07 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
w3

ding - i checked mine and it still says decision pending. did you go through testudo on the grad site?

that sucks you didn't get it - i became very disenchanted w/ UM during the app process. i'm guessing my app. might be taking longer because i'm applying to the dual march/mcp program.

Mar 6, 07 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

Does anyone here understand how the Architecture School Rankings work? Like, what do they take into account?

Mar 6, 07 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

rationalist:
i just called my buddy who applied CCA for MFA - graphic design. He is still waiting. Chill... no worries.

Mar 6, 07 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
w3

second hush - how did you hear from clemson about the tution waver?

Mar 6, 07 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
nicey

where are these rankings?

Mar 6, 07 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

dude, i sent total of 6 transcripts to UM. they lost it again and again. $6 each copy.

Mar 6, 07 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
w3
designintelligence
Mar 6, 07 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao
w3

yeah - the apra (UM) still says that i'm missing a recommendation. whatever...

Mar 6, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 

ding- I figured everyone was still waiting. I posted that information for brightside's benefit, since brightside's post implied that he/she had not gotten a confirmation email.

I understand the waiting game, but it's pretty useless telling me to 'chill', because it's not going to happen. I'm anxious, we're all anxious, there's not much that can be done about it. That's why we're here, to share our anxiety.

Mar 6, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 

good luck to you, too brightside! Fingers crossed for both of us.

Mar 6, 07 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
secondhush

Thanks cpnorris

wgp3 - I got an email today saying I was accepted and I would recieve a waver and I was being considered for assistantship opportunities and fellowships.

Mar 6, 07 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

I don't want to buy the "America's Best Architecture and Design Schools 2007" issue. It is expensive and I bought it last year and found it totally unhelpful. I just remember reading about rankings somewhere on one of these posting boards and wondering what the process was.

Mar 6, 07 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
w3

secondhush - i received the same e-mail. however it just said that i was being considered for tuition remission, etc... hopefully they'll offer me something.

Mar 6, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

I think UCLA might only be notifying people right now if they are giving fellowships, etc. I don't think they've sent any general acceptance packages yet.

Mar 6, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

I am seriously glued to this thread at this point.

I feel exactly like I do when I play craps in Vegas. No kidding.

Mar 6, 07 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I pray to God I get in somewhere this year, because the thought of having to go through all this again next year makes me physically sick.

Mar 6, 07 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

the rankings are basically worthless. they don't account for anything except what some employers think of the school based on the graduates they have hired form those programs. i guess in a way that is slightly meaningfull but its not like they go and visit the schools themselves or have any idea what is going on their each year. if they did do that then UCLA would be on there. just my opinion.

Mar 6, 07 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Man, I don't even know if I can afford to go if I get in.

Mar 6, 07 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

I found out why I haven't gotten a response from Pratt: the person who usually deals with grad admissions is out of the office until March 19th!!! I got another number to call (director of grad admissions), but of course, it is now 5:20PM east coast time, and they close at 5:00PM.

Mar 6, 07 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

My eyes are burning!! Too much drafting! Damn computer!

Mar 6, 07 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

By the way, cpnorris, I visited the same schools you did and thought your assessments/feelings were right on. The only place where we might disagree slightly is on GSD. Not that I know what I'm talking about, but it seems to be sort of a modernist stronghold. I'm not saying it's stuck, but the program has strong roots. Any opinions?

Again, this is coming from an engineer with no architectural background so please forgive if I have it wrong.

Mar 6, 07 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

any words from RISD?

Mar 6, 07 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Yeah I can see that being true. I didn't see any projects that were anything close to traditional if thats what you mean. Certainly modern/contemporary designs.

What I meant by them not forcing a style on there students is that they let the students do whatever they want and there isn't a consistent tone of work or type of rendering or style being produced. Basically they aren't taking the bate on the current trends in architecture school to make blobby, fanciful graphics. There is still an emphasis on reality and making architecture. But if you are into making blobby stuff then you could do that their too. I didn't see any of it though.

Mar 6, 07 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Shit, man. We should just all get together for a game of dodgeball.

Mar 6, 07 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
w3

hell yes baboomba. hell yes.

Mar 6, 07 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

no no..... we should all go to the same grad school.

Mar 6, 07 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

And I'm gonna peg WonderK right in the thigh for dumping me.

Mar 6, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
NoSleep

Has anyone applied to U Oregon? I heard acceptance letters went out about this time last year. *Impatiently checking mailbox.*

Mar 6, 07 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Whatever. I've got a wrench with your name on it! LOL. Just kidding.

Please understand the offer goes both ways. If I get in somewhere and you don't, you can come live with me too. I'm just saying, we're not going to be living in the lap quite as much as when we were going to be at your pad.

I've just arrived home to NO MAIL FOR ME. Not even junk mail. Arrrgh.

Mar 6, 07 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

not even junk mails dude? Sorry to hear that. At least i got 3 DVDs from Netflix.

Mar 6, 07 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I just got home as well. Zilch.

Mar 6, 07 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

farging iceholes...no relief!!

Mar 6, 07 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

another evil sight: Yuster

Mar 6, 07 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Is it socially unacceptable to keep checking this thread after work hours, or what?

I logged into my online applications thinking that maybe some magical screen would come up instead of the "application submitted" page....mmm, not so much.

Mar 6, 07 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
+2

Congrats secondhush! At least someone's getting some answers already.

(side thought)
Is it just me, or is someone else losing weight during this cruel process. Im down to like half a meal a day.

Mar 6, 07 8:41 pm  · 
 · 

Another day, no news. Depressing, really.

Mar 6, 07 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Pins and needles here.

I've been a physical, emotional, and mental wreck lately... Lack of sleep, no appetite, constant fatigue and headaches. On top of all this grad school shit, I've got money problems, roommate problems, a mountain of school assignments to do over the next week, and my shitty job is making my life a living hell.

Yeah, I'm slightly stressed.

Mar 6, 07 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
OutsideDream86

jbarkerii, I'm GAINING weight from from the pizzas I keep compulsively bringing home from work. Can we trade stress problems? I happily donate 15 pounds to you.

Mar 6, 07 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Even if I get rejected from all the schools I applied to, it would still be a relief just to know my status and to start making plans for the next year. But this hanging in limbo shit just sucks balls.

Mar 6, 07 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

dude, sorry about your troubles LiG. As hard as it is for me to keep my own advice, hang in there. it'll all be decided soon enough and i'm sure you'll be happy with the results.

yer pal, broccolijet

Mar 6, 07 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

i also just want to know one way or the other so i can move on...

Mar 6, 07 9:24 pm  · 
 · 

Well, at least the CCA answer (thanks for that brightside!) means that I should know at least one school by the time I get on that plane to Seattle. So basically, if I get into CCA, I'll be super-confident on my interview with UW and get in there too. But if I get rejected from CCA, I'll go into my interview feeling inferior and like I have no shot.

Damnit.

Mar 6, 07 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Maybe I'll get accepted into all five of my schools on my birthday (March 12)... That would be a nice gift.

Mar 6, 07 9:59 pm  · 
 · 

Oh, and if anybody feels like moving to Seattle (or better yet, goes to UW), I would be totally willing to rent a house with archinecters.

Mar 6, 07 10:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: