Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

Chase Dammtor

have to decide by april 15

Mar 6, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
nicey

it's hard to decide which pratt website is worse--the new one or the previous...?

Mar 6, 07 12:42 pm  · 
 · 

the new one is easily worse. It's pretty, but you can't FIND anything. I couldn't find the phone number for gradute admissions, or even the academic calendar. I'm not the only one either- you know they have the Pratt message boards? I saw someone else posted on there looking for the academic calendar, too.

Mar 6, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Jesus, I didn't even apply to UCLA but I still get nervous every time I read about somebody getting an acceptance. This is maddening. Good thing I get to distract myself with taxes and IDP forms :o/

Mar 6, 07 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

oh, kind of funny- I had a dream that I got into USC last night. Didn't actually apply to USC...

Mar 6, 07 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Good times for a change
See, the luck I've had
Can make a good man
Turn bad

So please please please
Let me, let me, let me
Let me get what I want
This time

Haven't had a dream in a long time
See, the life I've had
Can make a good man bad

So for once in my life
Let me get what I want
Lord knows, it would be the first time
Lord knows, it would be the first time

Mar 6, 07 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Some Armani-clad jackass is in our conference room right now pitching Blue Cross & Blue Shield's latest scheme to fuck over the workforce so their CEO can get another billion-dollar bonus... I decided to sit out the meeting because A) hopefully I'll be covered under some university's health plan in a few months, B) If I had my way we'd have universal healthcare and this fucker would be looking for a new line of work (and I'm not shy about making those feelings known), C) I'd rather be checking this thread and my email. Still nothing.

Mar 6, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

upenn is already doling out acceptances?

Mar 6, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

I'm *not* looking forward to university healthcare and am hoping I can keep my current plan!

I remember my school's health plan. It covered anything related to the gyno, and flu shots/vaccinations. (I imagine that men had it even worse, since they do not see ob/gyns.) It did NOT cover the emergency room, as I learned upon receiving a thousands-of-dollars bill.

Mar 6, 07 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

that's for Undergraduate, right? Not us...

Mar 6, 07 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

i'm talking about UPenn

Mar 6, 07 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
poisondarts

MCP program at UPenn

Mar 6, 07 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
OutsideDream86

Anyone else applying to Georgia Tech? I got an acceptance call this morning :)

Mar 6, 07 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Congrats, poisondarts and OutsideDream!

Judging by last year's thread, UPenn didn't send out their M.Arch. notifications until very late in the month.

Mar 6, 07 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

congrats! i went to tech for undergrad and liked it a lot. i have quite a few friends in the grad program now.

Mar 6, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 

This day is going soooooo sloooooow. I can't take it! I want to rush home and check my mail, even though I know it's not there yet.

Mar 6, 07 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I hope I get notified via email, because the postal service in my neighborhood is absolutely dismal. If GSD sends me a big fat admissions packet, I may receive it sometime during the next presidential administration. (Also, my mailbox is rather small, so I'd probably have to go to the post office to pick up all those big fat acceptance packages I'm sure I'll be getting.)

Mar 6, 07 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

My UW acceptance package was very smail. A regular envople. Don't worries bro.

Mar 6, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

something wrong with my keyboard...... I mean "don't worry bro"

Mar 6, 07 2:53 pm  · 
 · 

Really? Did the financial aid info come with it, or is that in a separate pack? At least now I know not to freak out when I see a little envelope from UW in my box. Eventually. I'm really, really hoping that they'll tell me at the end of my interview whether I'm in or not, but they probably won't, even though I'm the last candidate to interview, so they'll probably have it figured out by then.

Mar 6, 07 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

There are 4 pieces of paper.

1) congratulations.... from the depart of arch
2) confirmation of acceptance and visitor's day / orientation
3) Visitor's day schedule
4) a letter from the graduate school

You need an interview? for M.Arch? what the hell?

Mar 6, 07 3:11 pm  · 
 · 

nah, for MFA. Did they mention when financial aid stuff would come out? Unfortunately, that's about as important as getting accepted in the first place...

Mar 6, 07 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
w3

my envelope from UW was skinny and normal - and it was an acceptance so yeah...don't sweat it if it's thin. it said that i would be receiving another letter w/ more info at some point...

Mar 6, 07 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

wgp3 - have you visited UW?

are you going to their open house on the Friday the 30th?

would you go to UW?

Mar 6, 07 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
OutsideDream86

Yes...I'm wondering about financial aid too, in general. I keep having bad thoughts about not getting financial aid because I forgot to fill out some form or another. Last year's thread about acceptance didn't really mention when financial aid letters came (or did it? I wasn't reading it thoroughly). Does it generally get sent by March 15th? April 1st?

Jeez, this site is making me a basket case.

Mar 6, 07 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
w3

ding - i have visted UW. i went last june...i didn't have a chance to see much as i was in seattle to visit family. i pretty much just saw gould hall and took a short generic tour. it was graduation time and there wasn't much going on. i'd really like to go on the 30th to see more - and actually meet/talk w/ faculty but i don't think thats going to happen. i already have a trip planned for the previous weekend - i don't think i could swing both.

i'd say the chances are good that i could end up at UW. i love seattle and i'm confident that i could get a lot out of their program. it's just hard to say right now until i know about everywhere i've applied...and how the $$$ work vs. the programs i'm accepted to.

Mar 6, 07 3:26 pm  · 
 · 

That's one of the reasons that UW is such a feasible option for me: they mentioned that TAships with tuition waivers are extremely common in the program I'm applying for. They actually said, "most students TA for at least 2 of their 6 quarters here". So I figure that if I could just make sure that was three quarters, specifically the first three quarters (when I won't be a resident yet), then I could feel pretty confident about affording this whole grad school thing.

Mar 6, 07 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

Does anyone know how UCLA's process works? does the fact that they are sending out email now, mean that they are done with everyone?

I called OSU today to ask why I havent heard anything yet, and they told me that the architecture school wants to accept me, but my application has to go up to the graduate program at OSU to get a waiver for my below 3.0 GPA. It could take a few more weeks, I guess this is whats going to happen at a lot of state schools for those of us that do not have the min 3.0 requirement. (i had a 2.8 if you guys are wondering).

Its a bummer, but what can you do...undergrad cant be changed, and looking back i couldnt have done any better at the school i was at. a 3.0 was considered to be at the deans list

Mar 6, 07 3:29 pm  · 
 · 

Hey, but that's pretty awesome that you know the arch school wants you!

Mar 6, 07 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Wow, I just realized all of you who applied to UW will be working under Daniel Friedman. Have you met him? I had him at UCincy, way back when. His mug showed up in the new "Architect" magazine a few months back, you know.

Mar 6, 07 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

yes, it got me way excited, but kinda bittersweat as its by no means final. more of a tease really. Now that UCLA is sending replies, i a way stressed, I really want to make it back to california.

Mar 6, 07 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

Outside Dream... when I applied to GT M.Arch the financial offer was with the acceptance notification

Mar 6, 07 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Hey tzenyujuei... Any new dirt on how/when Cornell will be making decisions? Any idea when the open house for admitted M.Arch. students may be?

Mar 6, 07 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

Ah.... room 142 has been filled with applications lately... and I know there are mounds of applications in other offices too. I dont think they want us to know that is what is going on since they always look surprised and quickly close the packets when you walk in there to say hi...confidentiality something or other.

I remember that I got my notice in early March when I applied so I imagine that it will be before springbreak here or at the latest by dragon day (next Friday) since mid-term crits will be taking up all the spaces. I can ask Lily about the open house but it will probably be on alumni weekend. I can get back to you with a date unless you find out before me.

Mar 6, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Thanks

Mar 6, 07 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

99 Bottles of Beer on the wall..
99 Bottles of Beer...
You take one down, pass it around,
98 bottles of Beer on the wall..

Mar 6, 07 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

yeah mctwist, you know i'm in the same boat with you on the sub-3.0 GPA deal. if ucla's doing the same as OSU (which wouldn't surprise me) we might be stuck waiting another couple weeks even if we get in! jeez, just put me out of my misery for god's sake.

Mar 6, 07 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
theTracer

So shouldn't we hear something this week? Last year Yale started to notify people now, freak'n out, as I have a job offer right now, but I am waiting to see if I get in! Amazing pay, work and location, but damn I want to go back to school.

Mar 6, 07 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

89 Bottles of Beer on the wall...(hic)

Mar 6, 07 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

if i remember correctly from last year, sciarc was notably late with notifications.

Mar 6, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

broccolijet- I tried to call UCLA to ask how it work but i cant get anyone on the phone who seems to know what they are talking about.

Someone was asking about UCLA and when it starts, this is what i found out-
If you dont have the 2 Semesters of Architecure History prereq done then you have to take the jumpstart this summer or do it on your own. but officially it starts in sep

Mar 6, 07 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

Aw, SciARC is a late notifier? That sucks.

Mar 6, 07 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

brightside- also still waiting on Pratt and CCA. Did you get the email that said CCA would notify by March 9th? Cause I got one of those, but someone else I talked to said they got an email saying they'd be notified by the third week in March. So now I'm a bit confused...

Mar 6, 07 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
nomadic

If a school accepts you but says nothing about financial aid, should you contact them or just chill and wait for them to contact you? For a lot of us, I know, the $$ will be the make-or-break for where we go but I wonder when the schools work that out usually. It seems like in undergrad they did it simultaneously with acceptance letters, but for grad it must work differently for the most part, i guess...

Mar 6, 07 4:21 pm  · 
 · 

brightside, I recieved the following:

"Dear (rationalist),

I am pleased to inform you that we have received your application to
CCA's graduate program and it has been put into review. We anticipate
notifying all applicants of admission decisions by Friday, March 9.
You should not expect to hear anything official from the college
prior to that date.

We appreciate your interest in California College of the Arts, and
will be in touch again once application review is completed in a few
weeks.

Sincerely,

William McMurray
Director of Graduate Admissions"

I don't know if your not recieving one means that you application was not completed, or just that you hadn't bugged them enough for them to feel an email was necessary for you. To be honest, I'd probably call them. If you do call, could you ask when decisions will be out?

Mar 6, 07 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

by the way, you can check your status for Univ of Maryland. It's out.

Mar 6, 07 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
w3

ding - did you get in?

Mar 6, 07 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Compulsively checking my mailbox several times a day....

Normally I never check the mail, 'cause it's only ever bills.

Feeling this tense is not part of my normal daily routine!

Mar 6, 07 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
secondhush

Clemson - Accepted ( full tuition waiver)
Auburn Design Build Masters Program - Accepted ( full tuition waiver)
Rice - still waiting
UPENN - still waiting
Kansas - still waiting

Mar 6, 07 4:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: