Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

therpeuticlotion

you guys... we could be getting our princeton e-jects by the end of this week (per last year's timeline)!

Mar 7, 07 12:14 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

rationalist:

for pratt: were you looking for a decision from them? or other information? i might have missed the post as to why you're trying to get a hold of them.

Mar 7, 07 10:01 am  · 
 · 

Other information. They haven't even confirmed that they recieved my full application, and they're website's so retarded now that it doesn't even say when decisions will be made so I wanted to ask that, too.

Mar 7, 07 10:44 am  · 
 · 
Japhy

i'm going to assuage (yea GRE word!) my stress by eating another entire bag of cadbury mini eggs.....

Mar 7, 07 11:07 am  · 
 · 
baboomba

Man, this sucks. Somebody do something.

Mar 7, 07 11:19 am  · 
 · 
baboomba

Nevermind the "somebody do something" plea. That was weak.

Mar 7, 07 11:22 am  · 
 · 
broccolijet

maybe weak, but spot on. at the risk of speaking for all of us, it's the sheer powerlessness of the whole situation that makes this so nerve-wracking.

Mar 7, 07 11:48 am  · 
 · 

we can give rationalist advice about interviewing. I'm good at professional interviewing, but am nervous as hell about this! What should an art student wear, anyways? I don't want to walk in there in clothes that scream "ARCHITECT!" Do I go with art-student clothes, or professional-type suit or similar?

Mar 7, 07 11:51 am  · 
 · 
poisondarts

male or female?

Mar 7, 07 12:02 pm  · 
 · 

female

Mar 7, 07 12:04 pm  · 
 · 

and it'll be friggin COLD

Mar 7, 07 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

i suggest professional with "accents" of artsiness

Mar 7, 07 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
nomadic

at least the rain is supposed to let up by the time you get there...keep your fingers crossed!

Mar 7, 07 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

Rationalist - It is always good to look nice, but it might be awkward to be wearing a suit if your interviewer is in jeans. I would say business casual is probably fine. Like a blazer and slacks or something like that. Wear something you are comfortable wearing so you can act like yourself. Add a touch of artsiness if you want but don't do anything that is going to make you feel self-conscious, because, in the end, they really just want to see your work and hear what you have to say for yourself.

Mar 7, 07 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
nomadic

also, just so you know, there's no such thing as being under dressed in Seattle. Maybe in SoCal there is, but in the Northwest, everyone dresses like they're going hiking unless you're in finance or something. I've worked in a few architecture firms in Seattle and I was laughed at when I wore a tie. They actually told me to never wear one again. So if it fits you, you can wear "business casual" but don't go any more formal than that. But we are talking about a school interview here so even if you're wearing sweatpants and a hoodie, i don't thinked you'll be scoffed at in Seattle.

Mar 7, 07 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
poisondarts

yea, i can't imagine that any of the faculty/admin get really dressed up on a daily basis (true for most any school, especially seattle). i'd just wear something comfortable that fits well.

Mar 7, 07 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Dress nice, it tells them how you feel about the value of the interview.

Mar 7, 07 12:34 pm  · 
 · 

ah, now that's good stuff to know. Indeed, things in LA are a tad more formal than that.

Mar 7, 07 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I wore business casual to my meeting at Cornell last fall, with a black shirt to demonstrate that I was serious about becoming an architect. As far as I know I wasn't mocked or ridiculed (at least not to my face).

Mar 7, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 

hey, I finally got ahold of Pratt! My application is complete and has been forwarded to my department. Every department is different, but they estimate that the majority of decisions will be mailed in mid to late March.

Mar 7, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

Relax? What is that? I'm not sure how that works, exactly.

I popped awake at 6am this morning (don't usually wake up until 7:30), CONVINCED that I was going to hear news today. So far, nothing.

Mar 7, 07 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

I slept about 4 hours last night and woke up about 5 times...I expect this trend to last until I get some relief from the graduate school answer anxiety

Mar 7, 07 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Hey, Rationalist, I think you should wear something that says, "I like to have lots of sex." If your interviewer is male, you'll get in for sure.

Sorry, but that's the way the world works.

Mar 7, 07 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Man, I can't believe this crap about not hearing back from anyone yet. I'm supposed to go on vacation next week and was hoping to hear from at least one school before I left.

Mar 7, 07 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

not for medical schools...the hot casual look failed for my wife and the next year the woman in a suit worked. Interviewed by males both times.

Mar 7, 07 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

O.k. Maybe my statement should be revised to "that's the way BABOOMBA'S world works."

Mar 7, 07 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Now all the girls on this thread are going to hate me.

Mar 7, 07 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

hehe, it's not even an option, as it's a group of (I believe, if I've picked the right people off their website) two women and one man. The man is the director, but one of the women is who I've been communicating with, have things in common with, and I expect will really go to bat for me. So oozing sex appeal probably isn't the best strategy for this one. ;)

Mar 7, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

O.k. Seriously, man. Didn't people hear back from some schools by this time last year?

I'm starting to get violent.

Mar 7, 07 2:00 pm  · 
 · 

yes, but those people are on the other thread. apparently we all applied to the lazy late-decision schools.

Mar 7, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Just pull a Sharon Stone on them.

Mar 7, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I suspect our schools have been tracking this thread, and have our applications pulled aside in some sort of special Archinect file. They'll get around to informing us of their decisions sometime in July.

Mar 7, 07 2:08 pm  · 
 · 

I don't think the MFA people are here, though, so I'm safe.

Mar 7, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 

Shit, except that Cameron's on the advisory board for one of the programs I'm applying to. Cam, please, please overlook anything negative I've ever said. I didn't mean it, it was the stress talking!

Mar 7, 07 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Oh, that's fabulous! Are you telling me that admissions committee members are reading this? I'm doomed.

Mar 7, 07 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

(begins filling out Starbucks job applications)

Mar 7, 07 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
TED

i sit on 3 portfolio review committees and keeping notes all the time!

Mar 7, 07 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Do you accept bribes? Here, I have, umm, $2.70 on me.

Mar 7, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

I'm afraid you might be serious, TED. This is a new development. I need to take a recess before I further incriminate myself.

I would like to point out, however, that if I've said anything inappropriate it was because the others egged me on.

Mar 7, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

It was the gin talking!

Mar 7, 07 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

My postal worker yelled at me today for looking over her shoulder :(

But she was just being a jerk because I haven't even seen her before. It's not like I'm stalking the mailbox or anything.

Mar 7, 07 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

If I go on vacation tomorrow, I will be in New Haven on about Monday. Should I just go to the architecture building and ask if I got in? I really want to.

Mar 7, 07 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Stop by to pick up a Yale student ID, and then act offended if there's no record for you in their system.

Mar 7, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Man, I'm serious! Good idea! I'm gonna do it. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Mar 7, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
squaredavis

I know I'm not an M.Arch applicant, but GSD said would be mailing letters for MDesS program first week in April...looks like about 2 weeks later than last year, for some reason. :(

Mar 7, 07 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

I'm gonna be like, "I'm BABOOMBA, damnit! NOW GIVE ME MY F'IN ID!"

Mar 7, 07 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

What?!! First week in April? No way. We have to let them know by April 15.

Mar 7, 07 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Tell them you're a member of the Bush family... Then they'll probably throw a diploma in your car if you drive past campus with your window down.

Mar 7, 07 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Hey, LIG, you want me to check on the status of your Yale financial aid app. while I'm up there?

"Look, my friend LIG wants a status on his financial aid application! NOW TELL ME WHAT IT IS DAMNIT!"

Mar 7, 07 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Sorry, everyone. I've lost it.

Mar 7, 07 3:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: