Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

Chairman-Mao

there are over 600 applicants for UVa this year. how excitiing.

i visited UVa too. good facility, but that town is kinda boring in comparison to College Park. No a big deal though.

i got accpeted to Washington Univ in St. Louis. they are paying for the entire trip to their open house, and I'm going. Do you guys know anything about Wash U in st. louis?

Mar 5, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

ok I'll put my GRE scores. I got a 610 math, 710 verbal, 6 analytical essay.

I haven't done math since like 10th grade (stopped early) so I am actually somewhat proud of my math score.

Mar 5, 07 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
w3

i visited uva last november - great faculty for sure. did you get the e-mail where the secretary forgot to supress the recipient list? as soon as i got that i pasted the list into excel - counted like 609 addresses. i did however find several duplicates...got the number to below 600 - so our odds are better than we initially thought.

Mar 5, 07 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

ok, since everyone's doing it i'll jump off the cliff too...

690 verbal
740 math
5.0 written

Mar 5, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

Oh, and I am pretty sure that the reason for my "perfect" analytical essay score was the fact that I lucked out. One of my GRE question options was on the very same topic as my undergraduate thesis. I'd already spent 1.5 undergraduate years articulating a coherent yet brief persuasive explication of my viewpoints on corporate ethics.

Mar 5, 07 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

wgp, did you myspace search them and then pray that you and all of the hottest members of whatever applicable sexual orientation would also be admitted?

I would probably have done that. :/

Mar 5, 07 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

yeah dude... i was like what the hell? crap. good luck to myself. over 600?

They don't care about your GRE score. As of today, I got accpeted to two universities. Therefore, i can say this.

Mar 5, 07 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
haano

ok.. mine was v660 m800 w4.0

i suck at writing.

Mar 5, 07 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

800 math
740 verbal

Who's your daddy now?

O.k., but I only got a 4.0 in the writing. Clammed up bigtime and couldn't start writing. Maybe too analytical. Maybe just a shitty writer.

Mar 5, 07 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

ok i end up pinching, poking, scratching myself everytime i read someone got an acceptance/call becuase i don't know where to displace these feelings of anxiety and panic. if i keep reading this thread i'm going to end up maiming myself to death before i even get a single decision.

· 
Chairman-Mao

hahahaha..... myspace. track them down!

i have their emails here. oh man. 600 of them though. what... 300 ladies?

· 
w3

namby - actually, i just shat myself and drank a strong martini at lunch.

Mar 5, 07 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
w3

ok - it's about time someone posted a shitty gre score:

510 verbal
600 math
4.5 written

Mar 5, 07 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I can't remember my exact GRE scores, but the total was just a bit above 1250. My writing score was 4.0, which I think is a total scam because I consider myself a pretty good writer, and I think I put together pretty solid arguments for whatever topic I was writing about. Ah well, if I get into one of my top-choice programs I'll never have to think about my GRE scores again.

My GPA is a different ball of wax... My grades from UIC were positively horrible, but that was 10 years ago and I was dealing with some medical and financial issues that made college almost impossible for me at the time. (In retrospect, I should have dropped out much sooner than I did.) However, I've managed to keep up a 3.85 GPA in my current program at DePaul... I hope the admissions gods take note of my improvements.

Mar 5, 07 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

i'm not sharing... not until i recevid my master.

wgp3 - 1110. not bad.

Mar 5, 07 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

congrats to those who got calls...I cant believe that UCLA is already letting people know. Do they call everyone?

and yes if it makes anyone feel better, i also did not do well on the GRE's

I thought that i for sure would hear last week about OSU, but still nothing. Its has got me way worried, stress... I might have to chalk that one up

Mar 5, 07 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Professional BArch from University of Cincinnati - DAAP.

5+ years experience as a graduate architect working on both coasts (and of course, here in the dark ages aka the Ohio River Valley)

I don't want to talk about my GRE scores. They were fine, that's all you need to know.

namby I'm glad you got my card. Sorry it was 3 months late :o)

Mar 5, 07 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

LiG, I'm with you in the not-so-hot grades club...2.75 undergrad. i'm living proof that the "if you leave it 'til the last minute, it only takes a minute to do" study philosophy is a farce.

Mar 5, 07 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

Oh and I have a non arch background....BS in mechanical engineering. Been doing project management for the past 4 years.

Mar 5, 07 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

hey mctwist -- how are you holding up? has your day gig completely bored you out of your skull yet? i'm already there.

Mar 5, 07 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

You know it's bad when you're refreshing this page while in the middle of AutoCAD commands.

Mar 5, 07 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

so to break up the monotony of grad school this grad school that, i thought i'd share something crazy i just read about.

synesthesia is a cross-sensory experience. common experiences include music or grapheme (glyphs) triggering colors or visuals, but can include aural, olfactory and gustatory senses as well. When I first read about this, i was extremely jealous becuase it was as if these synthesthetes were imbued with the ability to participate in whole new dimension of the human experience, but as with any heightened sensetivity to things, there are its drawbacks. a synesthete broke up with a girl he really liked becuase her name evoked a horrible smell.

other experiences include:

"One day," I said to my father, "I realized that to make an 'R' all I had to do was first write a 'P' and then draw a line down from its loop. And I was so surprised that I could turn a yellow letter into an orange letter just by adding a line."

"T’s are generally crabbed, ungenerous creatures. U is a soulless sort of thing. 4 is honest, but… 3 I cannot trust… 9 is dark, a gentleman, tall and graceful, but politic under his suavity"

"Whenever I hear, read, or articulate (inner speech) words or word sounds, I experience an immediate and involuntary taste sensation on my tongue. These very specific taste associations never change and have remained the same for as long as I can remember."

To read more:
http://research.yale.edu/ysm/article.jsp?articleID=83
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

Mar 5, 07 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
w3

LIG - you're not alone. copy - refresh, paste - refresh, line - refresh. i'm developing a serious problem. that's exactly what i'm doing - pathetic.

Mar 5, 07 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

This thread sets new lows for neurotic, obsessive-compulsive behavior... And yet I can't turn away from it.

Mar 5, 07 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

you guys are my only friends. haha.

Mar 5, 07 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

broccolijet- hey, Im doing well. As far as works goes, i only go for 3 or 4 hours a day, and spend most of my time catching up on reading, or learning maya and listening to music. its a joke, and the funny part is that no one says anything about it to me.

I am way excited about school next year...just got to get in somewhere now

Mar 5, 07 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

Its too bad that the portfolio thread died so fast... a ton more people posted last year. You should put yours up if you havent yet

Mar 5, 07 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
nicey

i liked risd's app--gre not required.

i didn't apply to any cali schools--ann arbor's the farthest west for me.

Mar 5, 07 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

where are you guys from?

Mar 5, 07 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

i should say how many in california

Mar 5, 07 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

mctwist, are last year's portfolios still up by any chance?

· 
mctwist657

ding- I am in DC, but consider my self from LA

· 
mctwist657

most of them are down, at least were a few months ago

Mar 5, 07 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

Kristen...good question...I guess we have to wait. If i can get in to UCLA i will be so excited.

Mar 5, 07 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

wow all of your GRE scores made me feel like an idiot... well most of you.

p.s. it was good news

Mar 5, 07 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

Chase, did you know the person who called you? What program did you get into at UCLA?

Mar 5, 07 5:39 pm  · 
 · 

I really only want to share my portfolio here, not with all the random asses that will click on the portfolio thread, especially since it's got my whole profile on it.

If there were GPA's for evening college classes, I'd have a 4.0 at Otis. However, they don't do that for continuing education students, so my GPA shows up as 0.0. I still put 4.0 on the applications though, because I've gotten all A's there.

My architecture grades weren't anywhere near that good.

Mar 5, 07 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
nicey

i agree with not posting my portfolio here--no offense--i won't even show some of my colleagues...

Mar 5, 07 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Too late for my portfolio, which has been passed around archinect like a broken toy. I just hope admissions people aren't reading this thread and connecting all my smart-ass comments with my real-life portfolio on their desk, or else I'm screwed.

Mar 5, 07 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

I'm going to post my portfolio AFTER I hear decisions from schools. So you guys just have to wait up to another couple of weeks. Nyaaah nyaaaah.

Mar 5, 07 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

mctwist -- that's hilarious! i feel for you man. sounds like you're taking advantage of the time though so that's good.

i posted my portfolio on the other thread, but sorta wish i'd kept it to the diehards over here. whatever.

Mar 5, 07 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I had an entire thread dedicated to my portfolio. Good news is that the feedback I got from the archinect community made it about a million times better than it would have been otherwise; bad news is that everybody and their brother now knows what it looks like.

Mar 5, 07 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

Hey Chase - Did heather roberge call you? She's the one who called me. Is UCLA a top choice for you? Because I am almost definitely going there so we might be classmates.

Mar 5, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

Sounds like it worked out for you LiG. It's always good to make it better. Maybe I should have done likewise, but I figure that my portfolio evolved to a point where it has really taken on my personality a bit (heavy handed, layered, sometimes subtle, occasionally edgy, but overall a solid and reliable feeling assemblage), so if they reject my portfolio, then they really don't want me!

Mar 5, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

i don't mind to let people view my portfolio after all the deadlines. it's a crazy competitive world out there. If you are interested. Click on my name.

Mar 5, 07 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

i don't mind to let people view my portfolio after all the deadlines. it's a crazy competitive world out there. If you are interested. Click on my name.

Mar 5, 07 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
nicey

"L.A. face with an Oakland booty."

love it.

Mar 5, 07 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think we blew through 2 full pages today. And I think there's less than 15 of us posting.

Mar 5, 07 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

If this keeps up we'll be bigger than Thread Central by the time we've all heard from our respective schools.

Mar 5, 07 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

ding- I dig your photography, nice work

Mar 5, 07 6:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: