Archinect
anchor

Managing your coworkers/associates?

beatbox

So, I have recently been promoted to a Project Manager type role in the office and now I'm finding myself managing my underlings as well as the projects. Since I'm relatively new to the task of managing people...are there any resources/advice/books on tape for learning how to manage people reasonably and effectively?

Currently, there is a gap of experience in the office: lots of people in the 1-3 year range, 4 people in the 5-8 year range (where I am), none in the 8-12 year range, and 6 in the senior/principal level.

I would like to avoid making many of the pitfalls that I've experienced under previous managers......

May 3, 06 2:57 pm
beatbox

I agree, good mgmt experiences have been few and far between for me.

It's been a combination of chinese fire drill/water torture......

May 3, 06 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
psycho-mullet

Peter F. Drucker
The Essential Drucker

I've found it helpful.

May 3, 06 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical
beatbox

: Here are a few resources you may want to explore:

The First Time Manager

Preparing for Project Management: A Guide for the New Architectural or Engineering Project Manager in Private Practice

Getting There by Design, An architect's guide to project and design management

Time Management for Architects and Designers

HBR on Managing People

Just Promoted!: How to Survive and Thrive in Your First 12 Months as a Manager

Becoming a Successful Manager : How to Make a Smooth Transition from Managing Yourself to Managing Others

13 fatal errors managers make and how you can avoid them

However, the most important thing to remember is "don't panic and don't despair" -- you didn't learn to be an architect overnight -- it will take a while for you to grow accustomed to these new skills and how (and when) to use them.

Good luck ... you'll get there !

May 3, 06 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Drucker's good too ....

May 3, 06 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
beatbox

Thanks a bunch quizzical!

May 3, 06 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

You can probably get your employer to pay for a course in project management – If you are in a big city, there is probably a decent one at your local business school, and if not there are a few online ones. I recommend checking out Cardean University. I used to design courses for them (some time ago). If they haven't gotten too corporate, the classes were quite well designed, and made for working professionals.

May 3, 06 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
fbd97

beatbox, Jim Collins has two great must read books - you probably have read them, but if not: Good to Great and Built to Last. I'd read Good to Great first. Have fun!

May 3, 06 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

use an uzi 9mm, worked for me!

May 3, 06 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

It’s different in architecture maybe but one thing that impressed me about doing fabrication/ construction work was that, while structures of authority were much more ridged (military almost in some cases), who was in charge usually reflected who was most responsible (as in at-risk on the job). It’s a lot easier to take orders from someone when the understanding is that “I’m in charge because it’s my ass if this gets fucked up. You get paid by the hour and do what you’re told and you get to go home when the money’s gone. I stay until this is finished and take home what’s left over.” That way the boss isn’t necessarily the best or smartest or most experienced person on the team, just the most scared.

I’m not sure this logic impresses architects (it gets violated on both ends too much of the time) but I always had an easier time busting my ass to come through for people I respected than for some of the other reasons that sometimes get put forward in architecture offices.

May 3, 06 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
legopiece

One u should not think of anyone as your "underling".  Your not in the military.

Aug 30, 13 12:29 am  · 
 · 
legopiece

Spelling correction you are not in the military. Congrats and good job climbing that corp ladder. 

Aug 30, 13 12:31 am  · 
 · 
zonker

beatbox

underlings? sure I am glad I don't work for you - I am not your flunky

Aug 30, 13 12:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: