Archinect
anchor

Please tell me my past experience will count toward this IDP training shit thing......

lobotomy79

I have been working for licensed architects since 2003. Same office since 2007. I am now finally looking into getting my architect's license.

Can someone please clarify what this six months rule is? does this rule mean that all my past experience means nothing in the eyes of NCARB? Does it mean I have to re- accumulate all the hours required by NCARB?

I will literally shit in my pants if they want me to spend another 3 years reporting training units!

Jan 26, 12 11:44 pm
EDMartin85

Six month rule means that you can only report time in six month intervals, and no more than 8 months in the past.  That means the way the system is set up if you reported today, you couldn't report hours before May 27th of last year.  Keep in mind the six month rule only applies to hours you haven't submitted--so if that time is already NCARB approved, you're good.

If you haven't reported any hours, I suggest calling NCARB and calmly (i emphasize calmly) explain your situation and see if they can help.  However, I would be prepared for them to say "sorry" a lot and make sure you're sitting on a toilet so you don't s**t yourself.

Jan 27, 12 12:25 am  · 
 · 
lobotomy79

thanks EDM!

Jan 27, 12 12:39 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Sorry to say, but you will probably end up sh**ting yourself. This happened to someone I know, and had 8 years of unreported experience.

Jan 27, 12 1:49 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

yeah i am pretty sure, unless you have some extraordinary circumstances, they will tell you that you are out of luck and you can only submit the previous 6 months of hours.  Their rational will be that there was an ample grace period for those in your type of situation to submit a bulk amount of hours before the new rule kicked in.

Good luck though, and i agree that if you call and calmly discuss it with someone, you have an outside chance of getting at least some of the hours approved.  I would recommend avoiding at all costs the attitude that the 6 month rule is stupid

Jan 27, 12 11:29 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Oh, one thing that might help is if any of your past employes/employers from whom you got the IDP experience calls them as well and tries to make them understand the situation.

Jan 27, 12 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

I will literally shit in my pants if they want me to spend another 3 years reporting training units!

If your question is, if i havent finished my hours by the time the 6 month rule kicked in, do i need to start over.  Then the answer is no, you are grandfathered in with all your previous hours, but going forward, you can only submit hours from as far back as 6 months.

If your question is, I have worked long enough already and have the necessary experience, but never reported any hours yet, then i believe you will be out of luck, unless you can give a valid reason why you had to wait until now to submit your hours.

Jan 27, 12 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

NCARB won't tell you this because they want everyone to become licensed the NCARB way, but not every state requires IDP. Wisconsin for example gives you several options, one is IDP and another is the Wisconsin IDP equivalent. For the Wisconsin IDP equivalent you could submit your past time (no 6 month rule) and proceed to examination and licensure. If you need the NCARB certificate, you could start IDP concurrently and literally be a licensed architect in the State of Wisconsin while completing your IDP. Assuming you pass your exams. Look at the laws in your State and if you have questions, talk to your state licensing board. 

Jan 27, 12 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
chosunone

Hello,

I heard If your boss is cool enough he'll put those hours in for you even if you did them somewhere else or before the six month rules.

Jan 27, 12 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

Maybe change your name to rip van winkle.

Where have you been?

Jan 27, 12 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

I'd love to see someone try to submit 3 years worth of hours to complete their IDP, but noted them all to be within the past 6 months

If NCARB calls, just say, oh, well i got a lot of overtime lately....

haha

Is there a max hours allowable to submit now with the 6 month rule?

Jan 27, 12 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

Someone took their eye off the ball.

After I graduated in 97, I started to send in my experience every six months.  Why would anybody be waiting to document this at the very last minute?

Jan 27, 12 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
h ercan ornek

I am licensed in WI and you have to finish you IDP to get licensed even though you might be done taking your exams.  Which divisions left to take for the exam?

Feb 3, 12 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
nrubens

I am one of those guys bitten by the IDP 6 Month Rule. In the state of California I was grandfathered for IDP exemption.  I let my five year time expire and my status turned to inactive.  California then requires you to do the full IDP certification.  After speaking with several people from NCARB this is what I have learned:

Max hours = 70; Beyond that it get's a red flag and you will be asked with paperwork to prove the projects you worked on in that time frame.  So it is a heck of a lot of paper work and a good chance you will be denied those hours beyond 70. 

The total max hours I was able to submit was 1845 or a little less than 33 percent completion of the 5600 hours.

Hopefully, they will fix this to allow past experience!

Jan 23, 14 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

Man, it has been two years since this thread was started, and died.

Lobotomy79 only has six more months of IDP left, if he has actually been keeping up with his paper work.

Jan 23, 14 4:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: