Archinect
anchor

OMA USA splitting from OMA Europe??

cypress

Heard that there is some serious friction between Josh Prince-Ramus at OMA America and Rem in OMA Europe. That Rem may be launching a lawsuit against Ramus to prevent him from splitting off from OMA proper.

Anyone got any dirt on this?

Mar 20, 06 2:33 pm
JohnProlly

My momma told me that santi-clause doesn't exist. Now I'm gonwwa crwwwy

Mar 20, 06 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
cypress

That's tough. Sorry.

Mar 20, 06 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
the cellardoor whore

who says theres no live in that:

'I am very happy
So please hit me
I am very very happy
So come on hurt me

I'll grow back like a Starfish
I'll grow back like a Starfish'

yes, i can't get rid if her i can't...she makes me wants to sing

Mar 20, 06 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

did they do a pre-nup? how do you tell whose size-E (for emaciated) black pants are whose? who gets to keep the autographed glossy of zaha?

Mar 20, 06 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

it's official - the Louisville Museum was the Sally-Homewrecker that destroyed OMA...

Mar 20, 06 5:01 pm  · 
 · 

totally unrelated, but I'm doing this anyways:

Prolly: you doing the DUMBO alleycat? I saw the flyer on bikeforums, looks like it'll be pretty good.

Mar 20, 06 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
spiderdad

ive heard a rumour that the above rumour is true...

rem is pretty pissed about this whole thing; but looks like the little prince really does want out of the OMA deal... whilst some of the US staff would prefer not to break away from OMA.

i dont know more details but there is a lot of hoo-haa going on at either side of the pond.

Mar 20, 06 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

BTW - they're already planning to replace much of the wood flooring in the "new" Seattle Central Library... it's only been open for a year.

Mar 20, 06 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
meta

don`t know how true it is but this old article conveyed a faint reproach of rasmus towards the founder firm.

Mar 21, 06 1:36 am  · 
 · 
TED

("There still is the belief [in Rotterdam] that Rem needs to piss on it for it to be real," he says)

i am certain Rem and his client both feel he has to piss appropriately on all the projects. it is after all a Rem project. when you work in a collaborative group -- hush hush on trade secrets.

Mar 21, 06 3:39 am  · 
 · 
bobtob

Anyone hear anything new about this? I heard rumblings that the split was imminent.

Apr 27, 06 3:01 pm  · 
 · 

keeps coming up as a rumor (for the last 3 mos +/-), but i expect it'll be splashed everywhere if it becomes real.

as spiderdad suggested above, jpr may be interested in a split, but if you worked at ny oma would it be because of jpr or rk? so how would you feel about a split? jpr might have a mutiny on his hands.

Apr 28, 06 7:41 am  · 
 · 

i saw jpr hanging out at the prada store in soho last week--all wearing sweatpants and gymshoes with a pint of ice cream getting hugs from the attractive plastics around the store--the split must be imminent <:.(

Apr 28, 06 8:29 am  · 
 · 
switters

remember that REM KOOLHAAS's thesis at the AA was called, 'Exodus, or the Voluntary Prisoners of Architecture.' I used to think it was about urbanism and architecture but now I know that it was a thesis about a business model. but Ramus is a voluntary prisoner, so no empathy there.

Apr 28, 06 11:37 am  · 
 · 
bobtob

that article sure makes it seem plausible!

Apr 28, 06 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

"Architecture is not created by individuals. The genius sketch . . . is a myth..."

-Joshua Prince-Ramus

Yeah, right. Ever heard of Corb, Mies, FLW?....

As far as great architecture goes, I'll bet on the genius sketch over the 'collaborative effort' any day.

Apr 28, 06 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
siggers

or maybe it's just a ruse to get some attention...

Apr 29, 06 9:11 am  · 
 · 

i hope for ramus' sake that it get a lot of attention. i don't think he has enough momentum right now to spin off and sustain the current level of recognition. esp if he loses the oma name.

Apr 29, 06 10:12 am  · 
 · 
AbrahamNR
"Architecture is not created by individuals. The genius sketch . . . is a myth..."

-Joshua Prince-Ramus

Yeah, right. Ever heard of Corb, Mies, FLW?....

As far as great architecture goes, I'll bet on the genius sketch over the 'collaborative effort' any day.

And you think Corb, Mies and FLW didn't have studios backing them up? Creating a building is not a one man job.
Apr 29, 06 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

they had studios full of draftsmen drafting up their genius sketches...

Apr 29, 06 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
mnesikles

um, wrong..... without his cousin, Pierre Jeanneret, running the office and the projects, L-C would have never seen a building completed. PJ made those genius sketches buildable and then built them.

Apr 29, 06 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
dsze

poor rem, if little prince really believe in what he believes, he could resign and start a new firm like Ken Shuttleworth.

Does not need to act like a heroic revolutionist but took the name and project from Rem who started the office from nothing. It saves little prince at least 10-15 years from his career to get the project at that scale if he start his own....

cunningly smart~

Lesson to learn: don't promote your staff to become partner until you really trusted them no matter how smart he/she is.

Apr 29, 06 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

Silverlake, I'll give you a genius sketch to suck on.

You people are fixated on logo's, its not like someone's about to die.

Apr 30, 06 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

oma asia, aaron tan's office split... its RAD architecture in hong kong now...

Apr 30, 06 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
bobtob

and dan wood and amale andraos also split from the ny office to form workac...(not to mention mvrdv, foa, xaveer de geyter, plot, mass studies etc. etc.)

Apr 30, 06 8:55 pm  · 
 · 

read twice, post once

Apr 30, 06 9:15 pm  · 
 · 

(not directed at anyone in particular)

Apr 30, 06 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

is oma really oma if Rem isn't involved?

and the queen shant get thy woollies in a bunch...

Apr 30, 06 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

Silverlake - thy hold thee breeches sixpence all too dear - stop abusing the patients of the Crown and surrender thy aptitudes.

May 1, 06 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
Becker

Just wanted to put in my support of the genius sketch. sure, it takes allot of people to build architecture, but it takes only needs to take one person to have the vision

May 1, 06 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
Becker

Should read as below:

Just wanted to put in my support of the genius sketch. sure, it takes allot of people to build architecture, but it takes only one person to have the vision

sorry.

May 1, 06 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

it takes jeans yes? rem's got it, not sure bout josh

May 6, 06 4:51 am  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

Ramus looks very young, what is his previous experience?

Combinging with the building Rem designed for CCTV, it seems Rem think the cantilever is one of few ways to make high rise looks interesting.

OMA's building is more functional than ethics. I guess in order to realize their bid idea, they sometimes try to do everything to bring that idea into life.

May 9, 06 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

sorry, I need to add a little more:

Ramus looks very young, what is his previous experience?

Combinging with the building Rem designed for CCTV, it seems Rem think the cantilever is one of few ways to make high rise looks interesting.

OMA's building is more functional than ethics. I guess in order to realize their bid idea, they often try to do everything to bring that idea into life. In this case, they found they need to lift the museum to accormodate the entrance for the condos,hotel, and office tower, so they have that bid box of museum and art school in the sky. if the terrorists struck that exterior passenger elevator, the whole complex will be vulnerable. Why don't they lower the museum box to the third level above the grade?

The another problem, the giant core for the condo looks very scary. They are tall and thin.

What do you think?

May 9, 06 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
Becker

I think that rather than it just being a cantilever, it is more about the space it creates. Rem is not the only one with this on his mind (see also Hadid, Prix, Mayne...). They are all creating these gestures of public space by using oversized buildings to frame them. Prix also argues that it is economic. developers don't want to lose floor area just for public space, so they lift their buildings.

May 9, 06 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

word on the street is that this is happening and will be in the Times on monday. can anybody else confirm ?

May 13, 06 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Friends and Family,

We are excited to announce that on Sunday, May 14, 2004, the New York Times will run an article publicizing the reorganization of OMANY into Ramus Ella Architects (REX), an entity independent from the Office for Metropolitan Architecture. A press release will be issued on Sunday in conjunction with the New York Times article; it will be as follows:

“Rem Koolhaas and Joshua Prince-Ramus, co-owners and partners in OMA New York, announce that they are changing their business relationship to allow Mr. Prince-Ramus and his team in the U.S. to operate independently. Mr. Prince-Ramus’s firm, to be established with Erez Ella, will be known as Ramus Ella Architects (REX). Mr. Koolhaas and his five partners in OMA, Ole Scheeren, Ellen van Loon, Reinier de Graaf, Floris Alkemade, and Victor van der Chijs, will maintain a presence in North America.

The following projects, previously run by OMA New York, will be run by REX: the Dee and Charles Wyly Theatre at the Dallas Center for the Performing Arts in Dallas, TX; the Annenberg Center for Information Science and Technology at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, CA; and Museum Plaza in Louisville, KY. OMA will run Milstein Hall at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY. Mr. Koolhaas will continue to collaborate on the Wyly Theatre and the Annenberg Center; Mr. Prince-Ramus will continue to collaborate on Milstein Hall. OMA and REX will maintain a working relationship and will jointly seek new opportunities in the U.S.

The partnership between Mr. Koolhaas and Mr. Prince-Ramus is best known for producing the Seattle Central Library, completed in May 2004, and the Guggenheim-Hermitage Museum in Las Vegas, completed in October 2001. Prior to founding OMA New York in 2000, Mr. Prince-Ramus worked for five years as a Project Architect for OMA in Rotterdam. Mr. Ella is an Associate at OMA New York and has worked with OMA since 1999.”

On or around June 1, 2006, REX will move to a new location one block south of our current office. Shortly, we will also start to use a new internet domain (www.rex-ny.com) and e-mail address (@rex-ny.com); we will contact you by separate notice once these are up and running. My signature below relates all this new information. However, please continue sending physical and electronic mail to our existing addresses until we inform you otherwise.

Sincerely,

Joshua Prince-Ramus, Principal

Ramus Ella Architects, PC
160 Varick Street, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10013 USA
+1.646.230.6557 (tel)
+1.646.230.6558 (fax)
+1.646.251.8792 (mob)
jramus@rex-ny.com (e)

www.rex-ny.com

May 13, 06 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Sunday times duder. You NEVER listen to me...

May 13, 06 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Hang on... the one thing that is unclear in that letter is whether OMA will still have an office in new york or not... Is Ramus moving out taking people with him? Or is the whole office breaking off?

Are there now two offices in NYC?

May 13, 06 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
chrismulvey

and suddenly, 1 becomes 2. and then there will be 3...

May 13, 06 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

"Mr. Koolhaas and his five partners in OMA, Ole Scheeren, Ellen van Loon, Reinier de Graaf, Floris Alkemade, and Victor van der Chijs, will maintain a presence in North America." What does that mean?

May 13, 06 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
TED

i wonder if rem will post a job-advert for new direrctor on archinect?? ... or maybe he can convince brad to return to america after a short maternity leave.......

May 14, 06 11:56 am  · 
 · 
thenewold

Anyone have thoughts on the weird contradiction betwen JPR talking repeatitively about the ideal office as one of 'collaboration, and group authorship' versus the 'issues of authorship' ? These seem incompatible.

Also, is JPR's ideal even possible in a culture of clients like those for the Dallas theater project. Is it inevitable that the only sort of clients who are willing to underwrite high profile, high dollar projects are the sort who worship celebrity?

May 14, 06 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
"De Spectaculis II" reenacted a year later?

The Architecture of Splitting Hairs

the new Shampoo and Conditioner Architects

What's next, Diller gets a divorce?

May 14, 06 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

I also wonder what REX will do about competitions now. Previously, competitions were basically run out of the rotterdam office. REX differs from most of the other oma alumni splits in the past primarily in its size. I don't believe a partner has ever left before. I guess the proof will be if the new office can get new projects and maintain their size. It seems that leaving under these circumstances, continuing to run old OMA projects, puts the new office in a weak position in this regard. Had they left a few months ago when the lousiville project could have been completely 'theirs', they could have asserted themselves much more strongly. This feels like a rather rushed withdrawl.

May 14, 06 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

This changes everything.

May 14, 06 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

broad statement Janosh, do you think gravity will still be here?

May 14, 06 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
TED

in six months we will be asking REX_who? as he waits tables in a little deli in soho.

will bet he was forced out -- no matter what the 'official parting says' ....

REX is not REM and clients come to REM for the name -- its not something you take away for a split. REM can attract money to a project. thats what the clients need.

REX; sounds like a bulldog.

May 14, 06 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: