Archinect
anchor

14 and not sure

Carlospc116

Hey guys! For a while now, I've been wondering what I wanted to do when I grow up, and I have decided I want to be an architect. Is all the work worth it? I'm pretty good at drawing, but should I start practicing drawing and sketching? I'm 14. How is the outlook for architecture? What are the average work hours and salary? Is it rewarding? What books should I start reading to learn more? Thanks guys!

Jan 9, 12 9:45 pm
Carlospc116

Anyone?

Jan 9, 12 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Read this kid: 

http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/04/news/economy/unemployment_college_major/index.htm

That article was posted a few days ago.

Jan 9, 12 10:46 pm  · 
 · 

Hi,

I'm in my final year of a five year Bachelor of Architecture degree program.  I can't respond to issues of work hours and salary but I can say that as of recent news Architecture graduates have some of the highest unemployment rates.  I'm no expert, but as I understand it, the architectural profession is dependent on a strong economy where many clients have the resources to invest in building and design.  In simple terms, the outlook for architecture is tied to the economy, and fluctuates accordingly.

Many people say the work is not worth it, I think the best way to look at it is to see if you love doing it.  Architecture school is a lot of work--if you love it you will commit a LOT to it and find it rewarding.   In my opinion you should sketch and draw if you enjoy doing it!  If you develop the ability to transfer what you see in real life, and in your imagination to paper, you will have a great skill coming into architecture school that will serve you well.  Drawings will also be a good part of the portfolio you may be asked to submit when applying to architecture schools.

Speaking of school, one thing to note (in case you are unaware) is that there are different kinds of programs you can apply to.  To become a licensed architect you need to attend a "professional" program at a NAAB accredited school.  I am in a 5 year undergraduate professional degree program, but some people study completely unrelated subjects in undergrad and then go to professional graduate programs in architecture.  You can search the internet for NAAB to find out more.

I recommend the book "Architect? A Candid Guide to the Profession" by Roger K. Lewis as a good way to learn more.  Also, if you know any architects (or even if not) ask them about their work, and if they might let you visit their firm.

Best of luck! 

Jan 9, 12 11:27 pm  · 
 · 

It's awesome that you're thinking about these things at 14. While it's true that architecture is a tough profession, especially these days, things will likely be better by the time you're out of university. If you're passionate about being an architect go for it, so now is the time learn more about what it's like being an architect.

Some schools and organizations have weekend or summer programs for young, aspiring architects to learn about the profession and about architectural design. Check to see if there's anything like this in your area.

Also, you should see if you can volunteer some time at a local architecture firm. Just being in the studio environment will give you a good idea of what it's like.

Good luck!

Jan 9, 12 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
backbay

May I ask why you want to be an architect?  Serious question.  The profession is usually a lot different that people expect.  There's usually a group of people in every freshman class that think its about math and engineering only to find out its closer to art, history, and english class.

Like Paul said, get in organizations, summer programs, and get an internship as soon as you can.  If there's one thing most people I know regret its going blindly into college with a vague idea of what they're going to be doing the rest of their life.

Good for you for thinking ahead.

Jan 10, 12 12:19 am  · 
 · 
SuperKing

Hey guys! For a while now, I've been wondering what I wanted to do when I grow up, and I have decided I want to be an architect. Good sign, most architects come to that realization around that age. Is all the work worth it? Yup. I'm pretty good at drawing, but should I start practicing drawing and sketching? Sure, more you draw better your drawings read, drawing is very important to architecture. I'm 14. Cool, there was somebody around that age few years ago, I think now he is graduating from Cornell University architecture school. How is the outlook for architecture? Up and down as usual, weather the hard times and enjoy the good ones. What are the average work hours and salary? Hours vary, salaries, better than some, not as good as the others. Is it rewarding? If you find your place in it, very rewarding. What books should I start reading to learn more? Go to your library's architecture and design section and randomly pick on them starting from left and right and up and down, visit Archinect every day:) Thanks guys! You are welcome!

Jan 10, 12 12:25 am  · 
 · 
trace™

More like "survive the down times" and "exist in the good times".

If I were you (and I knew I wanted to be an architect at 13-14, then, half way through grad school at 6 years of arch education under my belt, reality began to settle in - school is a blast, work your ass off, but it is greatly rewarding) this is what I would do:

1. Sketching - it is helpful for any creative profession (and I assume that creative expression is what you enjoy, if not, certainly look elsewhere)

2. 3D - learn 3D.  Be good.  Get some of the Gnomon Workshop videos (also great ones for Photoshop, just got my 11 yr old nephew some super DVDs for Painter)

3D will at least offer some flexibility later on and give you a paying job before you get out of high school. 

3.  Photohop (and Illustrator to a lesser degree).  Again, something that is valuable to many professions, kinda fun, and will help you have a career before you get to college.

4.  Business - start reading some basic business books, take as many classes at your hs that you can.  Business is what makes the world work.  It sounds horribly boring, but realizing that more knowledge will empower you, give you the tools to do what you want, give you the monetary means to enjoy life, etc., and it can be a lot more fun (I wouldn't have believe my own words until I dove in myself).

Lastly, great for you to be interested and taking a proactive approach to your future at such a young age!!  Think "entrepreneur" and let the world be what you want it to be.  Arm yourself with the tools to shape your future and you will be fulfilled, enjoy your career and make a good living (my money would be that it will not be any traditional architecture path, as those are not, generally speaking, qualities that the profession offers)

Jan 10, 12 9:41 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

The profession is usually a lot different that people expect.  There's usually a group of people in every freshman class that think its about math and engineering only to find out its closer to art, history, and english class.

and after you graduate you realize that it's a business and you need to somehow make money...

as paul mentioned,  many architecture schools have summer programs for high school students, and I would encourage you to contact a local university to see if they do.  if they do not have a program for high school students, I'm sure they would be more than happy to show you around.  Also - architecture firms don't typically hear from kids your age, and if you wrote to enough offices I'm sure you'd find at least one place who would be willing to give you a tour.

in addition to sketching (and making things - models, sculpture, generally playing around with various materials) - I'd get really good at writing creatively and persuasively and take on leadership roles while you are in HS (especially ones where you need to manage money).  These skills come in far more handy later on than just learning software.

good luck!

Jan 10, 12 10:00 am  · 
 · 
Carlospc116

Thanks everyone! I used to live in the states, but now I live in panama (central america) I'll look around for architectural firms. What would be the best way to practice sketching?

Jan 10, 12 11:19 am  · 
 · 
magentasky

there is no "best" way to practice sketching, but you want to focus on sketching buildings, scenery, or even tools.  Taking a plen air (outdoor) painting class might be helpful to get you started.  Also at your age I would highly recommend taking a perspective drawing class - know how to draw a perspective by hand.  This will help you in the long run, before you get started on 3D modeling.   

Good luck!

Jan 10, 12 3:31 pm  · 
 · 

What the hell?  At 14 years old, you should still working on your curveball, or maybe pull-up jump shot.  Architecture is an old man's game.

Of course, if you insist on being an architect, now might be a good time to take up some of the more gentlemanly sports;  sailing, polo, fencing, etc 

Unfortunately, once you get on the architecture career path, you just won't have time to learn such valuable marketing exercises, yo!

Jan 10, 12 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Damn man I didn't even know how to spell 'architecture' at 14....

Very impressive.  You have a very bright career ahead of you.

Jan 11, 12 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Best way to learn sketching?  Just do it and you'll get better and better.

Jan 11, 12 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
CrazyHouseCat

I feel compelled to take up the contrarian position here.

If you LOVE architecture and have determined that you want to commit to it at 14, please consider NOT to spend too much time sketching, or reading architecture book.  Please spend as little time as possible learning any kind 3D program (which will certainly be obsolete when you graduate into the profession).

To be an Architect (in its fullest meaning), you need to be a good generalist.  The profession will force you to specialize later on.  But at this stage, you should be reading about art, history, literature, music, economics, science (physics, geology, biology, chemistry), etc. etc.  You would want to keep your aspiration about architecture high right now and save the specific training on practice for later on.

A lot of the best architects had a very liberal education before they zeroed in on architecture.  In school, students with the more varied backgrounds usually come up with the more compelling concept and schemes.  The 3D, presentation, drawing skills can be picked up relatively fast.  But a good understanding about the world and human condition take MUCH MUCH longer.  Once you enter the profession, you will likely be too busy polishing your craft (drawing, technical, etc.) you won’t have much “free” time to pick up the critical (but not urgent) knowledge that shape your unique interpretation about the world into the architecture you produce.

As to the profession, it’s like any other profession that has its ups and downs.  But it’s your life and only you can determine if anything is worth YOUR while.  Good luck!

Jan 11, 12 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Practice sketching now and by the time you are in arch school you will have a big advantage.  The hand brain connection is very important.  I would say if you are really interested in being an architect then start right now.  Get a book on the world history of architecture.  Sketch imaginary projects that you dream of doing one day.  try to figure out how things work that you see around your city and how they are assembled and sketch them.  Self learing at such a young age will be very valuable to you.  Also, don't narrow your interests to just architecture.  Most great artists and architects study things outside their field like nature, philosophy, literature, film, etc.  Look at what ever you are interested in and think about how these things can relate to architecture.  Also, walk around the city and pay attention to what you see.  Keep it fun for now.  Just play with different ideas, don't get too serious about it and you will do great! 

Jan 11, 12 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I agree with the above except for the part about sketching.  You should sketch sketch and sketch.  Not just buildings but everything - people, animals, plant cells, nature, everything!

You will get better and better and by the time you are in arch school it will be a big advantage.  And I agree that you should learn 3D stuff to become familiar with it.

Also take some time to figure out what exactly inspires you about the built environment.  It might surprise you.

Jan 11, 12 12:57 pm  · 
 · 

To add to my comment above, I think you should also learn to ride a bicycle while smoking a pipe.  

That's sounds very easy to do, yet, it's amazing how many architects are incapable of doing it.  These also tend to be the same architects that are miserable, lonely and broke, yo!

Jan 12, 12 10:15 am  · 
 · 
Carlospc116

whoa! Thanks for the feedback guys! :) 

Any books you recommend I should read?

Jan 14, 12 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

Best advice I ever got regarding sketching, art in general: Draw what you see.  Read books on anything that interests you.  Part of being a good architect, I think, is being a well-rounded person and being able to see things from other people's perspectives.

Good luck on your journey!  =)

Jan 15, 12 10:47 am  · 
 · 
Carlospc116

anyone recommend books? thanks for the feedback!

Jan 15, 12 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

I'm not sure of your current knowlege - mine amounted to not much more than a small bag of beans when i started my real education at 18.

start here and move forward!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0764553968/?tag=googhydr-21&hvadid=8433369905&ref=pd_sl_1rgfa1pj8d_b#_

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Experiencing-Architecture-Rasmussen/dp/0262680025/ref=cm_lmf_tit_17#_

Jan 16, 12 11:28 am  · 
 · 

I got interested by attending a 6 week summer course @ Carnegie Mellon University while in high school (between Jr and Sr year).  Also Paul mentioned interning @ an office which is an excellent idea.

I think you asking questions about the future outlook is really great and grounded.  Here are a couple of thoughts:

- You have to be open to the possibility that the profession will be in the same state or worse in years to come.  This is a larger debate we can have in another thread.  I think you need to examine the facts as they are today, what is the starting salary for a recent grad?  What do you expect your student loans to be?  How long will they take to pay back at that salary rate? I bet your folks can help you with this research.

- If my nephew (who's around your age) expressed interest in being an architect, I would discuss with him what attributes he likes about architecture.  Is it drawing?  Problem solving? Being creative?  Good news, there are lots of professions and fields of study which employ those very skills!

“The Optimist expects the wind.  The pessimist complains about the wind.  The realist adjusts the sails.” 

Good Luck!

Jan 16, 12 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

I thought this was going to be about your sexual disposition.

Jan 16, 12 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

We haven't scared you off already?

One question I have... and this is critical... are your parents filthy rich?

Unless your parents are loaded, I would consider a different career. Honestly there is nothing like coming out of school 80k in debt, and working on a highschool drop out wage. I always viewed  this profession as one that only the rich do. 

If you are sill reading this... you are insane... but I recommend any book by the name of Ching... keep them close to you throughout your education, and even your career: 

Graphics

http://www.amazon.com/Architectural-Graphics-Francis-D-Ching/dp/0470399112/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326766858&sr=8-1

Structures

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Structures-Illustrated-Patterns-Systems/dp/0470187859/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326766947&sr=1-1

Best of luck to you and remember... whatever road you travel on... find happiness. 

Jan 16, 12 9:31 pm  · 
 · 

Oh Boy, one lost, I got a good laugh out of that one, thanks.

Jan 16, 12 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
baseline

Get a construction job.  Or work in a machine shop. Or a cabinet shop.  Or as a sculptor's assistant. As we say in my office "we're just making this stuff up."  So you'll need to know how things are made.  And nothing teaches like doing.  The drawing advice above is good.  Being able to quickly and beautifully convey an idea to a person through drawing it is a very powerful and persuasive asset. That's the technical side.

On an intellectual level, architecture is most closely related to...philosophy. Having a good liberal arts background and thirst for knowledge is critical to becoming the well-rounded generalist that takes so long to achieve. 

Lastly, you're probably going to read a lot about how poorly we are all compensated.  It's true. Unless you are wealthy to start, it's going to be tough.  I wouldn't give up my B.Arch education for anything.  Practicing architecture is incredibly rewarding in all aspects, but the  pocketbook.  My advice? Go into it knowing you'll never work in a firm.  Employee wages have been stagnant in the U.S. since the 1970 (as compared to cost of living).  The sooner you work as your own employer the smaller the hole from which you will ever have to dig yourself out.  Meaning once you are married with children and a mortgage it's a lot harder to break away from a secure job whose paycheck you need every month and that will be the case with a low salaried young architect.  Find your design niche and don't worry about being an A-rchitect.

Feb 2, 12 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

If this is what you want to do, then do it - don;t be discouraged by the rational world -

architecture is like Apple - if you really like doing it, then you will do what it takes irregardless and that will create this effortless momentum. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRoHtUjIkmY 

Feb 3, 12 12:30 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

Some pretty good advice here. I've had several nieces and nephews come to me and ask about a career in architecture (my own kids know better from personal experience and have never shown any interest in it). I've done my best to talk them all out of it. So far, I've been successful. None of them have gone to architecture school. There are some good points in this thread which should give you a lot to think about. I'll add a few:

1) There is currently a large over-supply of architects in the profession. Schools of architecture have been churning out new arch graduates at a rate way beyond demand and with steadily-declining quality. A majority of new grads just can't cut it, and there's way too many of them anyway. That's showing up now in unemployment figures. The unemployment rate for architects in my home town is now around 30%, and that's only going to get worse. In some areas it's over half.

2) Most people go into architecture thinking they're going to be designers. They won't be. Very few people indeed get to be design architects in any significant way. The numbers look like this: For everyone who applies to architecture school with you, at most half will make the cut (but probably fewer). Of those, maybe 80% will graduate with an accredited degree. Of those, fewer than 40% will still be working in the architectural profession five years later (assuming they ever got a job in the first place - see point 1). Of those, maybe 5% will work primarily as design architects. For the math-impaired, that means that fewer than 1 in 100 aspiring architects will ever wind up being design architects. The odds are very much against you unless you've got a lot of talent and discipline going into it.

3) Most architects are TERRIBLE at basic business management and tend not to make much money. Entry-level architects are generally paid less than teachers, and are expected to work ruinously long hours besides. Most firms are set up such that their primary profit model is to grossly underbid the value of their work to get a job and then burn through entry-level staff to get it done as inexpensively as possible. Among the many reasons why we have the licensing system we have is that it provides a nearly endless supply of indentured servants to abuse and burn through as we race to the bottom trying to undercut one another's fees. If you can't master a deep understanding of good business management practices and a solid approach to marketing professional services, you have no business being an architect. Go do something else.

4) Most start-up firms fail. Many of the successful ones you're familiar with barely turn a profit and often have been supported for years by outside sources of income (a professorial salary or inherited wealth are the two most popular options for financing a bad architectural habit ... do you have any prospect of obtaining either one of those?). Most architectural employees never make partner. Below the partner level, you are expendable. Architecture is not art, and architects who act like artists starve unless they are already independently wealthy. The only really proven way to become a successful architect is to be born or marry rich. All other paths are desperate gambles.

5) There is no such thing as job security in architecture and very little stability. In medieval times, master builders would only have an income so long as they could find a well-funded project. They moved to where the project was located, spent a few years on it, and after it was done packed up and moved to where the next project was, assuming they could find one before they starved. This business model has not fundamentally changed in 1000 years. I am writing this at a desk in China, because that's where the work is right now. My wife and children are 5,400 miles away. Are you willing to follow the work to wherever it might be? Are you willing to make big sacrifices to gain only the CHANCE that you might get the work? Most people, when it comes right down to it, aren't.

Having said all that, if you face the harsh realities of this business, understand them, and still feel compelled to pursue architecture as a profession despite long odds, high costs, and monumental frustration, then you might ... MIGHT ... have what it takes to succeed at it. I'm one of those people, and I've done pretty well at it, but I recognize that I am very much an anomaly (as is anybody else you're likely to see in a similar position). I could tell you what I did to get a job when I graduated in the middle of the last big recession with a pregnant wife and bleak prospects, and how I pushed through to become a senior design lead at one of the world's best firms, but that was idiosyncratic to me. You have to hoe your own row.

Only time will tell. If you have any doubts or reservations based on everything you've read here and elsewhere, do yourself a favor and pursue something else.

Good luck.

Feb 3, 12 3:00 am  · 
 · 

Wow, I think that is a very "real world" post on the career path in architecture.  Also, I think those numbers and percentages seem generally accurate to me based on my own experiences and trajectory.

Feb 3, 12 10:23 am  · 
 · 
zonker

you just can't have any doubts about yourself - you must be fully self realized

98% are not - I just made it past the so called 5 year point - learn self realization

or join the SEALS - either way

Feb 3, 12 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
Carlospc116

thanks everyone! anyone else?

Feb 7, 12 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
Emini

Also don't tend to confuse the Architect and the structural engineer ... because I remember that when I was Younger, I thought that the Architect and the engineer were the same person and used to design the building and its core frame...

Structural engineer are very imaginative et creative in sense, and they have to make a lot of drawings... so the profession is similar to architect...

If you are always asking this question:

How did they build the Burj ---- GO IN STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING

Why did he choose this form to this building ---- GO IN ARCHITECTURE

Feb 8, 12 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

Let's not be misleading and say you need to move to China and leave your family behind 5,400 miles away to have a decent career in architecture.

Honestly, if you like the work, you will have a fulfilling career.  The points about work expectation are dead on.  Chances of you being a starchitect who has ultimate control over everything you want to do are slim to none.

My advice?  Given that you are still in high school, I would suggest finding a type of program where you can spend a couple hours a week in an office.  We have had some high school students from time to time at our firm through various programs.  It will allow you to see the day to day goings on in a firm, to hopefully help give an adequate representation of the profession.  And given that your time would be pretty limited there, the firm most likely would do their best to show you as much as possible.  That is always the shock it seems, for recent grads or college students who are at their first job.  They had no idea what the actual day to day of the profession is actually like.  They think it is just like their design studio where they will be given a building to design at their leisure

The biggest reason i can think of that architects are unhappy is that they have unrealistic expectations.  Of themselves, their personal skills, and the profession in general

Feb 8, 12 1:51 pm  · 
 · 

Carlospc, I am going to re-post some data I put together for another discussion:

According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics there were 110,990 employed licensed architects in the US in May 2008, (this figure does not include self employed practitioners).

Again according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics as of May 2010 there were 78,700 employed licensed architects, or a net loss of -23,290 architects from 2008 until 2010 which would equate to a 21% unemployment rate within the professionThis does not include 2011 numbers which I think is safe to assume there was further erosion in the job market for architects.

According to NCARB (National Council Architectural Registration Boards) in 2010 14,737 people sat for the ARE (Architecture Licensing Exam).  In 2009 13,326 people sat for the ARE exam.  This is undoubtedly pushing the unemployment rate higher as more people become licensed in a contracting profession.

According to the NAAB (National Architectural Accrediting Board) there were 27,852 students enrolled in a NAAB accredited degree program.  Of this, there were 6,017 accredited degrees awarded in the academic year of 2009 to 2010. 

So if we take 6,000 grads per year and multiple it by 3 years, we have added 18,000 individuals into a profession which has been in contraction not expansion, from 2008.  Although the graduating students are not licensed architects, they are obviously entering an extremely battered profession.

Therefore I am sorry to report the “13.9%” unemployment rate for recent grads in architecture sounds way to optimistic!  Where in the world are 5,100 graduates finding jobs in a profession with a 20-30% unemployment rate?

Feb 9, 12 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

When I was 14, My father took me to Berkeley were he, my aunt and uncle graduated to tour the campus. We later went to visit some friends that lived in Marin County right across from Marin Civic Center - that's it I want to be like Frank Lloyd Wright and design space ships that fly out of the hills. (Sure your do, and maybe you can be astronaut)  years later,  - here I am, working on offices,concert halls and skyscrapers - I like the work, it's always fun - I always remember the decision I too made when I was 14. Since you are asking the same questions I was asking when I was 14 - just go with it - study smart not hard,  develop social skills and sophistication, get into a real good school like Berkeley, Harvard, Columbia or Cornell - and you should not have too much trouble staying employed - don't take the easy way out - that is the road to ruin - you must be the best - it;s like the Navy SEALS - tough but worth it. also - I took up football in high school - prepared you to deal with obstacles and how to make sudden decisions on your feet - architecture is a lot like football also. 

Feb 10, 12 2:06 am  · 
 · 

Do yourself a favor, print out my facts from above, and then ask your parents to explain the idea of "supply and demand"

Feb 10, 12 10:41 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Keith:  Just curious-how does the BLS know how many self-employed vs employed-by-others architects there are?  The state boards don't have records of it, and I can't imagine where else that kind of data could come from.

Feb 10, 12 11:45 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

keith I agree.  The grads that take a job in an un-related field are not possibly being counted. 

The numbers do not add up to a very bright outlook, but we also need to consider future societal trends, such as urbanization, sustainability (as a vital reality of the new world), population growth, and economic shifts in the developing world.

The one thng that gives me some hope is the fact that the population will peak in 2050 to about 10 billion according to UN reports.  We just hit 7.  Thats a 42% increase in population over a relatively short span of 38 years.  Will the size of the profession increase at an equal rate?  If not, demand may surpass supply at some point.  Should also consider the great urban migration that will accompany this population boom, something like 50% of people will live in cities by 2030... 

Feb 10, 12 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

by 2050 70% of people will live in cities..

Feb 10, 12 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Kieth is right - it's one thing to self actualize - we must be responsible and do what is most practical - the grim truth is the odds are against you - just like the SEALS that have a 70% washout rate. Graphic design and video game 3D art are better bets for the architectural skillset - I used to work as a 3D Environment artist for a major video game company - and now I work on designing video game studios. 

If you chose architecture and at some point end up unemployed and can't pay your bills, you will be held responsible by your creditors - they don't want to hear your stories and excuses - chose what you want to do - but chose wisely - 

Feb 10, 12 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

Zenakis, thanks, and yes, I really do not want to be arguing my thesis.  I do think this is a time to be pragmatic and go by facts,  the information you get first hand, not charts, marketing websites or information presented to you by an organization which has a vested interest in your decision.

Geez, yes, I am just going by what is readily available online in a couple hour research project.  I actually think the case for self practioners could be worse. Also, none of this data addresses the topics of lowered salaries, increase in "consulting" positions rather than salaried, lowered arch fees etc...

All I am saying is go by real world, on the ground observations.  Talk to people directly in the field to find out what's going on.

In the end I am saying it is a simple equation of supply and demand and we are in a state of too much supply (Architects) chasing too little demand (projects).  With that in place, all these other conditions make sense to me.

Arleo, I understand your point about population, but I think it is a stretch to conclude that equates to a higher demand for architects.  For starters, you don't necessarily need an architect to create a building.  I think this is a broader professional practice question we should have in another thread.  And get ready, because that will be a spirited discussion indeed.

Feb 10, 12 3:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: