Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

very interesting LB. I confess to potential uberdork status as well.

hot water here is i think universally produced by heat on demand sytstems, so we don't get that problem. the heater in my 30 year old kitchen is damn ugly though (this is before they realised that putting the heaters in another room might be a good idea)...I LOVE this system though. the hot water NEVER runs out.

on the foul weather track, we used to get the ocassional twister on the prairie when i was a kid but now i have to sit through a series of hurricanes that run up the coast EVERY year.

luckily they never get too awful, but we are blessed also with a looming super huge earthquake. small-ish ones rock the place about once a month and my wife and the kids and i all run under a beam in the center of our flat and hope it ain't the one that is supposed to flatten the city any day now...weirdest thing is my daughter coming home with her earthquake gear on ( basically a quilted pillow helmet), worn all the way home after a full blown rehearsal at her school. very very scary (the 2nd very is cuz i am a parent).

Apr 4, 06 7:30 am  · 
 · 
AP
GO GATORS!!!!!!

!!!!!!

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 4, 06 8:03 am  · 
 · 
AP

i wore a tie to celebrate. I never wear ties.

Apr 4, 06 9:16 am  · 
 · 
AP

^ double windsor

Apr 4, 06 9:17 am  · 
 · 
adso

I think I'll celebrate and wear a tie when "accepted to grad schools yet?" falls off the first page.

Apr 4, 06 10:32 am  · 
 · 
myriam

abra,
I think my mom did scare me a bit! Also I guess I am spoiled--she is an amazing cook and cooked almost every night for us. It was pretty easy to stay out of her kitchen and reap the rewards. She would call us in at specific points to taste-test or lick a spoon and then shoo us away again. It was wonderful at the time!
I like your idea of mastering a few. I will concentrate on this. So far I can make a decent coq au vin and a decent salmon pasta sauce (ha! does that even count?!) maybe I'll make a list and attack this experiment methodically.

As for a raise I actually just got one a few months ago. Gotta keep working hard and then I will ask for another! I'm paid appropriately, I think. That's a good feeling. Eventually I will have to move to a larger firm that gives me health benefits.

Thank you for your advice!

Apr 4, 06 10:33 am  · 
 · 
ether

march 29, 2006

abra is somewhere in that blackspot wearing 3d glasses.

Apr 4, 06 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

all quite on western front. los angeles is one big dark spot where people only interested in brad pitt gossip...

Apr 4, 06 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I apologize, but the following blurb has nothing to do with any other threads. I didn't feel it necessary to start a whole new topic, though.

I kinda sorta just had my first real meeting with a client about a design that I did, on my own, about a project that has a damn good chance of happening. AND I get to incorporate some smart sustainable elements to it as well. AND this client is excited about design, he actually wants it to look good! It's a weird feeling, really cool actually, I suppose I always imagined I would get the chance but you can never really see it coming if you spend so much of your time doing shite work. And then you get some small opportunity and it works? And people actually think you are good at it? It's just strange.

Anyway. Don't mean to pat myself on the back but figured many of you could relate. And of course to those who do a lot of shite work.....chin up. It'll happen.

Apr 4, 06 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

Sounds like a great day WK, imagine what walking past the jobsite will be like! Were you paid appropriately?

Apr 4, 06 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

thank you liberty bell...i'm very pleased to say it

Apr 4, 06 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i have finally quit the grad school threading stuff. i have been absent for the past week or so as the thread was detrimental to my mental health and it was too tempting to look if i was on archinect.

so now i'm back since i think i'm all sorted out on my grad schools. on to life as normal.

as for ties, i prefer the half-windsor to the full. the full usually looks too big of a knot for my tastes and i like the slight asymmetry that a half-windsor provides. the four-in-hand isn't bad either.

Apr 4, 06 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i do four in hand. bolo ties ok too.

Apr 4, 06 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Awesome, WK! Congrats!

Apr 4, 06 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
southpole

Wk-
It’s a pretty cool feeling, I remember the first project I got as a side job, a laundry/ bar place near school, the client was this young dude with some family cash, wanted a really hip place for college kids to hangout (get loaded) and do few loads of laundry.
Any ways I was so exited about all the design details and material I was using, it worked out to be a great little project for me I still show in my portfolio. Thinking back on it always gives me a smile.
Good luck hope it work out-
I did get paid and plenty of free laundry for my last year of school-

Apr 4, 06 7:58 pm  · 
 · 

woh.

i only get about 15 minutes of english news here every day and abc just broadcast their (usually day-late) piece about the storms in the states. from above discussion i thought it was an isolated and small thing...

damn, even with 24 hr news and internet it is still easy to be entirely out of touch with things going on back home.

Apr 4, 06 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

okay on sunday night i was cowering in the corner of my apartment with my cat,as i thought the freaking windows were going to explode, the wind was blowing so damn hard. and then the next morning i heard something like thirty people were killed by storms and tornados in the midwest and missouri valley and then i heard the numbnutz host of morning edition on npr make some joke about tornado escape plans at the end of some segment on the ncaa title game. god i was pissed. tornados are not fucking funny...

Apr 4, 06 8:08 pm  · 
 · 

maybe the radio host is living in japan too?

very scary vado. was your apt damaged?

Apr 4, 06 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Thanks FRO, myriam, and southpole. Yeah, we'll see how it turns out. You have to think it's going to go well when you're talking to your client and you find out that his favorite building in the city is one of yours too.

vado my cat is hiding in a plastic shopping bag right now. Mind you there's no storm, she just likes it in there. Also tornadoes, while not funny, are pretty freakin' cool.

Apr 4, 06 10:16 pm  · 
 · 

sounds way too cool wonderK.

when i was a kid i watched a line of tornadoes approach the city limits from a soccer field next to my house, and it was indeed freakin cool. dumbest thing i ever did in retrospect but luckily they all died out before hitting the city.

Apr 4, 06 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

hitting multiple things...

I do four in a hand as well. I have a wide face, and neck, so I need a narrow knot. it's also really quick.

for the longest time I believed I was invincible to tornados...there were several big ones where I grew up, and while the sirens were going off and the man on the radio was yelling to get inside, I looked out the window and didn't see a thing.

then the next day we'd find out the local holiday inn (2 miles away) was nearly leveled.

I am cooking alot more as I grow up, partly because my girlfriend isn't the type. the other day she wanted to put my good knives in the dishwasher.

I've mastered a number of areas, but I can't find a decent salsa recipie, ideally a very spicy chipotle-garlic variety. everything I try is either spicy without the flavor to back it up (blech) or tastes ok without the spice to make it interesting.

Apr 5, 06 1:35 am  · 
 · 
AP

four-in-hand is the only one i knew previous to yesterday, very quick indeed. I also like the shelby, but prefer the aforementioned double windsor 'cause its a nice, chunky, almost equal-sided triangle.

never seen or felt a tornado. once witnessed the brief formation of a funnel cloud, during recess in elementary school. it was a nice day, though, and the thing didn't get too big before goin' away.

agreed on your salsa observations. for the typical grocer, I prefer Pace Picante, medium or hot. chunky (like the double windsor knot), spicy, tastes ok. If they have it, something organic, maybe with some corn in it for texture.

Apr 5, 06 9:04 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

trader joe's salsa especial is my default go-to...

i have a couple salsa recipies manamana, but none of which are the chipotle type you're probably looking for. i'm sure there's a decent one online. just keep looking.

Apr 5, 06 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

.......*.....*.....................*...*

thems tumbleweeds a-blowing through Thread Central today.

quiet today. <i'm also VERY bored at work>

hope you're all doing well

Apr 5, 06 5:34 pm  · 
 · 

eh, I've been searching through all the, "How to work in London" threads today. I'm feeling very dissatisfied with the fact that I've lived in one little corner of the US my entire life. Discovered that I may qualify to hop the pond without sponsorship of a firm in approximately 14 months. VERY tempting...

Apr 5, 06 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

rationalist, did you ever consider trying for a fulbright? friend of mine just got one for architecture to england. dunno if you've got an area of interest you're itching to study a bit.

Apr 5, 06 6:45 pm  · 
 · 

I'm not so sure that more education is the answer to my problems... but thanks for the suggestion.

Apr 5, 06 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
dia

rationalist - move to melbourne.

Apr 5, 06 10:49 pm  · 
 · 

so the interview with glen small got picked up in spain link. i am getting some interesting feed back in the background as well and glen has some possible teaching offers and lecture engagements + new energy. if you guys have any questions or comments let me know. this is my first ever published interview. but fire anyway.

Apr 5, 06 11:01 pm  · 
 · 

diabase- the immigration thing is kind of scaring me off there... The UK has a straight-up points based system, you pretty much know whether you're in or not. The Aussie fuzzy testing system scares me. Though I can't deny the weather's better. = ) Any insight into the process for me? Do I have to get a firm to sponsor me?

Basically, I want to go somewhere, try something new, but I'm not 100% sure where.

Apr 5, 06 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
e

what are you looking for rationalist?

Apr 5, 06 11:38 pm  · 
 · 

I've just got wanderlust, BIG TIME..... I just figure I'm young, I don't have anything tying me down, I should go try something new now while I can, live somewhere else, have some fun. As far as where, easy immigration/work laws helps. Plus I'm not so great at languages (Hablo muy pocito de espanol, pero nada mas), so that pretty much makes the UK and Down Under the primary countries under consideration. I could maaaaaybe get by in a Spanish speaking country as long as most of the people in the office spoke English, as my Spanish would get better once I was there a while, but for the most part I'm a gringa.

Apr 6, 06 12:08 am  · 
 · 

So any advice from the peeps at Thread Central? Suggestions? Countries, or even specific offices to look into?

Apr 6, 06 12:17 am  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

From the UNStudio website:
It is possible to apply for a position at UN Studio. We don't have vacancy's all the time, but UN Studio is always interested in motivated people with a high profile in designing and 3D skills, and special in people with high technical knowledge, experience and fascination!

You can address applications to Harm Wassink via post or email, in Dutch, English, (German, or French). We expect applicants to speak (basic) English or Dutch. For applications we need at least: - C.V. with software knowledge. - Some images of your work, designs, technical drawings etc. The more specific the better. Please understand we receive about 40 open applications a week!
So be clear in your communication, and put your name on CD's etc. It's in your own interest if information is easy accessible and readable! Don't send originals, It's unfortunately not possible for us to send back porte-folio's. Everybody sending in a serious application will have our serious attention, and will get a proper response. Response normally will take three weeks, and during holydays a bit longer. We keep records of applications, and we keep porte-folio's for a while. If you applied unsuccessful in the past, feel free to try it again after a while.

Not sure about this one, but click on Contact and Job opportunities:
http://www.bolles-wilson.com/flash/

Apr 6, 06 12:30 am  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

Sorry, the first one is in Amsterdam, the second in Munster, Germany.

Apr 6, 06 12:31 am  · 
 · 
manamana

since I mentioned it here, an update on the salsa quest:

tonights attempt: getting close!.I modified this recipie as such:

5 cloves garlic
1 small sweet onion (all I had)
6 smallish ripe roma tomatoes
2 small canned chipotles in adobo
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1 lime, juiced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
salt

notes: too much cilantro, and a tad too much chipotle. it's a little thin, probably due to omitting the simmering phase of other similar recipies. Am thinking of replacing one chipotle with a fresh jalepeno, roasted with the tomatoes. a red onion would definitely be better. Am also trying to figure out what effect a roasted bell pepper (green) would have on the mix.

Apr 6, 06 12:33 am  · 
 · 
dia

rationalist, not sure about the immigration. As a New Zealander, I can step off the plane in Australia and I am automatically a Permanent Resident. In my last stint there [4 years] I could have become a citizen if I wanted.

In the UK, I get an automatic 2 year working visa, provided I am aged between 17 and 30 [which I almost am].

I understand that its a hard process, and you have to learn another language [australian], but its well worth the effort. Go down for a holiday if you can and test the waters. I can give you some names of friends that can show you around, put you in touch with contacts etc...

Apr 6, 06 12:51 am  · 
 · 
AP

nice interview Orhan. congrats on popping your interview cherry.

questions to come.

Apr 6, 06 8:50 am  · 
 · 
AP
Archinect publica esta semana una interesante entrevista con el visionario arquitecto californiano Glen Small uno de los fundadores de SCI-Arc

nice. spaindyciation.

Apr 6, 06 8:51 am  · 
 · 

wouldn't let the visa thing worry you too much, rationalist.

several of my friends are working as architects in china though they have next to no language skills. they seem to be enjoying the scene quite a bit...not sure about the money though.

from personal experience london was not so hard to get a work permit. when i went through the process i had a march and about 5 years experience. friends did the same with less experience and seemed to have no probs either. downside is cost of living and taxes, and there are def a few firms that don't want to be bothered with getting the permit sorted..but not impossible by any means.

if you want to travel as an architect, go for it. home is always waiting for you.

Apr 6, 06 9:23 am  · 
 · 

on a different subject, well done orhan! i hadn't heard of glen small but he is def an interesting fella. glad to hear it may lead to something for him.

Apr 6, 06 9:26 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

We're getting on in posts here. Who's going to take it to 1000?

Apr 6, 06 9:30 am  · 
 · 

you or liberty bell?

Apr 6, 06 9:34 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Veering close to 1,000, but I'd rather not own that distinction. Go for it Cincy branch of archinecters!

But I'll admit here: it is a fact that I taught vado how to post images.

So you have me to thank/crush for seeing things like this:
on threads about house design. Sigh. Love ya vado but you make me nuts.

Apr 6, 06 10:01 am  · 
 · 

today i decided to have a gander at the 'accepted to grad schools yet?' thread for the first time in weeks, just to see what's going on. there's a totally geeky subtle pleasant sensation in seeing twenty pages listed at the bottom.

Apr 6, 06 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
ether

go team!

Apr 6, 06 1:21 pm  · 
 · 

thanks AP. anytyme. iam getting some e mail from younger people telling they are inspired by 'city scale' works and comments about sustainable architecture etc., very positive...
AIA will provide 'sustainable' accomedations for their guests in upcoming convention in los angeles (from their mailer)...
i think abra is thinking about reporting from the AIA06, if he can get in free...

Apr 6, 06 2:59 pm  · 
 · 

gonzo style..!

Apr 6, 06 3:01 pm  · 
 · 

WonderK I want to hear about your flowers.

Apr 6, 06 3:08 pm  · 
 · 

ooh, speaking of AIA06, who's going? Can we have an archinecter party one night? I'm on deadline that whole week so can't make it to the actual convention-ish stuff, but would love to party the nights away with some of the regular archinecters.

Apr 6, 06 3:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: