Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

AP

ya...

Apr 7, 06 4:45 pm  · 
 · 

On a more architectural note, I think my office may have Sick Building Syndrome. The rate of illness and absenteeism here is ridiculous, and it takes far more effort than it should to discern whether it is sunny outside or not. And I can't stop sneezing.

Bah.

Apr 7, 06 4:52 pm  · 
 · 

sounds like you're building a case for leaving early this lovely friday afternoon.

Apr 7, 06 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I just get sports bras at Target. And that's kinda the problem with rolling the sleeves, as ACfA suggested: it makes my boobs look wierd. Especially with the text location of the architecture sucks T. I'll try the cap sleeve, but with a slightly baggy shirt, as mine is, it may look less intentional than on those tight versions above. Maybe I need to see if I can forcibly shrink the shirt I have to be tighter.

When oh when is the littlegirly red version of the architecture sucks T coming out?!

Apr 7, 06 5:02 pm  · 
 · 

lb- hot water wash. Or just warm if you're worried about overshrinking. And yeah, that's why I was trying to find a pic of someone who'd cut it themselves, but I couldn't. Although I used to have a great one I'd done, I'd also slashed up the sides and retied to fit, so it basically ended up as a beach shirt.

Steven- no leaving early today, gotta keep the rest of the young people here in redlines... (though it's nice not to have to pick them up myself!)

Apr 7, 06 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

perhaps you ladies should check out underarmour

Apr 7, 06 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

she swears by it!!!

Apr 7, 06 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
manamana
NSFW

click the "bounceometer" after the intro.

oh those crazy brits.

incidentally this is also one of my arguments for why flash sites cannot be taken seriously.

Apr 7, 06 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
AP

you can't be serious.

(looking)

wow. unbelievable. I feel dirty now.

Apr 7, 06 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
AP

ok, I showed my girlfriend...i feel better / less dirty.

Apr 7, 06 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Wow! So THAT'S what I look like when I run. Naked, even. I imagine it's a bit terrifying for anyone I'm approaching....

Apr 8, 06 1:01 am  · 
 · 

That's actually a rather effective advertisement.

Apr 8, 06 1:14 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

feeling down? need some assurance? need some confidence building? worried that your project's not quite up to snuff? need that extra something to get you over the hump??? u need my new service
its called "CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER-U-UP!!!!!!!"

cheerleaders. we're here to help!

Apr 8, 06 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I wonder if they make cups for men? Now that would be one foul simulation video....men running nude Yikes!

Apr 8, 06 2:02 pm  · 
 · 

ok, jesus christ, this is how completely confused about my life I am- now that Fullbright idea is starting to sound not just good, but GREAT. New goal: Fullbright application in by September, then if I'm accepted immediately apply to RMIT's Graduate Diploma in Design (graphic design), and head down under late january/early february 2008. With at least one shock absorber sports bra in tow. = )

I think I'm going crazy.

Apr 8, 06 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

good luck to you although fulbrights are hard to come by. my ex didnt get one and she's going to cambridge...she does have a sports bra though...

Apr 8, 06 2:50 pm  · 
 · 

rationalist, you might also look at the monbukagakusho scholarship if more education going with the travel don't bring you down. the thing starts as a 2 year research stint in japan, which you can extend to a proper degree if the fancy strikes you. the money is enough to live on if single. only downside is that i believe the deadline for this year just went past...

anyway, just another option...

Apr 8, 06 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the blog...okay i know the college kids are busy. some of them post some never seem to. maybe there ought to be more blogs by those practicing and fewer school blogs? i m sure most of you would rather read blogs by all stars like abra and liberty bell and steven ward and wonder k etc...or is that what this is???

Apr 9, 06 8:55 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

That's exactly what Thread Central is, vado: the archinect regulars community blog.

I swear last night I posted a comment directed to you, rationalist, and it disappeared: I said that I have heard it is harder to get a fulbright to common locations and English-speaking regions, like the UK, and I guess some Scandinavian countries. So you might have more luck applying to a more-remote region. Though for all I know vado's ex applied to Papua-New Guniae (sp?) and still didn't get one - they are indeed tough competition.

Apr 9, 06 9:29 am  · 
 · 
some person

liberty bell - I've been having problems with posts disappearing, too. Sometimes I need to preview it multiple times before it will show up. (Unless my posts appear multiple times but I just see one copy; that would be bad.)

Anways, a blog from a practicing architect would be great. However would there be a liability risk? We sometimes walk a fine line between providing too much information here about our firms, clients, consultants, and general contractors. *shrugg* Maybe it's just me who feels this way...

Apr 9, 06 9:42 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

thats y i only post pics of cheerleaders dca!!!

Apr 9, 06 9:48 am  · 
 · 
some person

yeah, I guess there is NO liability in that, vado.

Apr 9, 06 9:57 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

my blog would read something like this:
first of all let me apologize for not posting much lately...
well as most of you might have gathered by now, my 48 hours of cheerleader posts has expired and now i'm listening to led zeppelin. thanks to liberty bell's post about reading their bio. was that book called "does anybody remember laughter?" by any chance? oh to be a rock and not to roll...

Apr 9, 06 10:06 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Hammer of the Gods, vado.

Apr 9, 06 10:56 am  · 
 · 

'hammer the gods' was very good. i think i followed it closely with 'no one here gets out alive' > the bio of jim morrison.

Apr 9, 06 11:22 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i'm woking my way through(slowly) "the hammer of the hammer" its been compared to joyce's gilligan's wake. it has...

Apr 9, 06 11:40 am  · 
 · 
vado retro
Apr 9, 06 11:41 am  · 
 · 

^^ :a bush political rally perhaps?

Apr 9, 06 11:42 am  · 
 · 

yah liberty. I checked the stats, and there's only around a 5% chance of getting one to the UK, about a 10% chance to Australia. But that just means I've got to work really hard on my app. And I'm trying to get USC to sponser me even though I've graduated - trojans seem to get a fullbright or two a year, so the sponsorship seems like it might mean something to the committee.

Apr 9, 06 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

read "excepted to graduate school" thread. feel smarter...

Apr 9, 06 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
AP

good luck rationalist. keep us posted. Do you have any idea what your proposal would be?

I looked at jump's link (from another thread, regarding Japanese Gov't foreign research...)...that looks very interesting as well...although not english speaking country...new languages are always fun.

speaking of which,

vado, many of the candidates were in fact "excepted," it seems.

...gotta love the shoes on that Boone fellow up there w/Hammer.

Apr 10, 06 10:49 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

thats what i mean, ap. that's what i mean...

Apr 10, 06 1:13 pm  · 
 · 

hehe. I actually never noticed that. On a similar note, I just found out that an incredible WANKER from USC got accepted to Harvard, and now the prestige of the Ivy Leagues has officially worn off in my eyes. Seriously, this guy was the biggest kiss-ass, NOT intelligent at all, held positions in organizations, but not the good ones and he never did anything worthwhile with them, and didn't do great work. I've got no clue how this happened, except that possibly somebody on the committee forgot that schools like Harvard were supposed to have some f'ing standards and let him slip through.

AP- I'm thinking a Graduate Diploma in Graphic Design from RMIT, with some exploring of the Melbourne and Sydney artistic happenings on the weekends and a big outback trip to produce some beautiful sketches and such during semester break.

Apr 10, 06 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
AP

sounds fun rationalist...

as for application success, some of my most talented peers were passed up while some, ahem, others were accepted to so-called prestigious grad schools. who knows.

one day, I will be as clever as vado. for now, I'm happy to have gotten his joke.

Apr 10, 06 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
AP

by the way, listening to NPR's excerpt on Pritzker winner Mendes da Rocha...pretty good.

Apr 10, 06 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
aml

i just soaked a random t-shirt in hot water, but it didn't shrink all that much...

so if anybody in charge reads this, i'm supporting the creation of a 'fitted women's t-shirt' or 'girly tee'. that would be great. thanks.

[sorry this is from the discussion from the middle of this page]

Apr 10, 06 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
dia

The more I read archinect recently, the more I realise that we need a good compeition or a good fight.

Apr 10, 06 5:45 pm  · 
 · 

Yah know, I tried to pick one when Evangelical Bunny came back, but she wouldn't take the bait.

Apr 10, 06 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

yes. and no per / vindpust as of late.

even though i was a part of the whole grad-school debacle, the explosion of xxx vs yyy is really somewhat annoying. i always felt that the decision was ultimately for me to make and no one else... starts to border on the "do my homework/research" type of thread. also,

in those threads i find a myriad of unfamiliar names, whereas the names above give me a much greater sense of comfort. (almost everyone above has over 1000 posts!!)

Apr 10, 06 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yes, rationalist is about to join that club as well. It is a comfort, especially when, as diabase mentioned, it seems a bit....I don't know, boring? If anyone knows of any knock-down drag-outs going on anywhere, you had better post them here.

Apr 10, 06 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
AP

mean people suck.

Apr 10, 06 7:36 pm  · 
 · 

uh-oh. That means I need to post two more topics in the next twenty posts, so that I can achieve a 20/1000 ratio. My fullbright topic bombed big time... maybe some graphic design-y topics will attract more attention?

I was willing to knock down/drag out to support the Trojan Nation when we were snubbed from the grad school rankings, but AGAIN nobody took the bait. Everyone outside of thread central must think I'm just a troll.

Apr 10, 06 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

One of my roomates in college got a Fulbright. She was in medicine though.

Apr 10, 06 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

hall of shame:

slept with my PM, got fired had a good start, but the drama fizzled w/ lack of juicy details...

diabase, maybe you can go in and dis all these schools in the following failed deathmatches:
UCBerkeley vs IIT
Ivy League vs UCB and UVA
Rice vs. Cornell

*yawnnnnnnn*

Apr 10, 06 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Alas, the only US schools that I have any direct experience with [as in visited there, or had some academic involvement] are sci-arc, MIT and the GSD. So I can really only fight for those if I was being honest.

MIT and sci-arc are unequivalent equals. GSD looked like a nightmare - the whole attitude was one of pretense and subterfuge.

Still, I might pretend to be an alumni, like that pretentious, oddly named so-called Princeton attendee who pissed everyone off late 2004/early 2005....

Apr 10, 06 9:01 pm  · 
 · 

as a side note, the study in japan thing doesn't really mean you need to learn japanese. most of my foreign classmates haven't really bothered to learn at all...

i can speak and do CDs in japanses but am writing phd in english (would take me years to do it in japanese). academia here is currently trying to get bilingual i think, so they won't be left out of the global academic loop(as far as i can tell )...

Apr 10, 06 9:30 pm  · 
 · 

abracadabra, faia is gonna be around soon.

Apr 10, 06 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

im turning japanese i think im turning japanes i really think so....

Apr 10, 06 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Apr 10, 06 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
AP

ya, i actually typed that, deleted it, then hit submit.

damn initials. i feel so exposed.

Apr 10, 06 10:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: