Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

A Center for Ants?

maybe some of us LA archinecters could arrange something for the visitors?

steven- wonderful 1000th post. how appropriate in a thread thread. it's so meta.

Apr 6, 06 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yes Steven you rocked the 1,000th post. God there are some smaaaarrrttt people here on Thread Central!

Apr 6, 06 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

heeee-larious. Bravo. I'm still laughing.....

Apr 6, 06 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

so does the 10,000th post have to get the same treatment? i assume so since our m.o. is powers of 10... (yes that was a clever reference). just 9000 posts to go.

Apr 6, 06 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
surface

Oh, all I can add to this thread is that my father was a meteorologist but I learned nothing about how the weather works. And my mother is an excellent cook but I basically stick to yogurt, smoothies of juice and frozen fruit, salad, fresh fruit, hummus (that I didn't make myself) and pita, tinned soup, frozen burritos, and.... all the foods you don't need to cook. Well, I boil pasta but that's about it. Otherwise: delivery. Anyone else on the Totally Incapable In The Kitchen club?

Apr 6, 06 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

we're over a thousand woohoooo!!!

a big supercheer backflip split for you lb!!!

Apr 6, 06 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
aml

can't cook but love watching cooking shows. i'm convinced one of these days i'll just wake up and it will all come together and i'll just like, cook a super great meal 'just like that'

Apr 6, 06 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

how thrilling i was the 2000th poster on grad school thread and i only had to do nine posts to get there...

Apr 6, 06 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Here's how I learned how to cook - I go out to dinner, try a dish I want to learn how to do, then I research recipes and try to emulate the dish back at home. This is how I learnt to make risotto for example. It has took me about 2 years to perfect it.

I have found 3 'secrets' to cooking:

1. The amount of preparation is directly proportional to the quality of the end result i.e, the more time and care you put into preparing the food before cooking, the better the meal.

2. Quality ingredients are imperative. A dish can be ruined by using inferior wine, garlic thats not fresh etc, despite the fact that you've cooked it properly.

3. Timing. Just like in comedy, timing is everything, and its also the hardest to master.

At the moment, we pick a dish at random from a cookbook and then commit to making it. Last dish I made this way was pork fillet with balsamic figs. Very nice.

If you are starting, start with dishes that are deceptively complex, like a risotto for example. A good roast, easy as it is, will rock if you do it with flair.

Apr 6, 06 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

agree w/ diabase. but 3 is the hardest to master. it just comes from experience and good technique (which is essentially a result of experience).

Apr 6, 06 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

In keeping with the "got a phone call with exciting news" on the accepted to grad schools yet? thread, my husband got a call today that his proposal for a public art installation in downtown Indianapolis was accepted. Has to be done in June. I think it's a very cool proposal, very midwestern and funny - see image:

Yay.

Apr 6, 06 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
dia

lb, please pass on my congratulations. excellent stuff.

Apr 6, 06 8:24 pm  · 
 · 

Those are some funny little birds. The first time I was in downtown Long BEach, I thought the seagulls on the signs were real, and had just been hotboxed or something because their eyes looked so stoner fake. Turns out the whole seagull's fake.

I wonder how many people will try to scare the birds away...

Apr 6, 06 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

indiana's most famous film director would be proud...

no not alfred. howard hawkes is who i'm talkin about...

Apr 6, 06 8:27 pm  · 
 · 

those few tropical birds raise the temp. few degrees instantly...i love how art evokes senses as well as spaces.

Apr 6, 06 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I wonder if anywhere on the web has anyone intentionally posted that tripod logo. Ugh! Bastards.

Apr 6, 06 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
AP

clever installation, lb's hubby. I dig. never heard of or seen the one rationalist references in lONG bEACH...

Apr 6, 06 9:09 pm  · 
 · 

those are some phat cardinals.

Apr 6, 06 10:05 pm  · 
 · 

cornfed i guess you could say.

Apr 6, 06 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yes, oeverscaled fat fluffy cardinals. The funny commentary is: these are all male cardinals, and male cardinals are territorial and chase each other away. They would never "hang out" in groups on a streetcorner, chatting and watching and whistling when the girl cardinals walk by, unlike the males of some species we know.

vado the 2,000 poster on the grad thread is hilarious. You and Steven, damn clever.

Apr 6, 06 10:15 pm  · 
 · 

aren't the dark ones females?

Apr 6, 06 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Male and female cardinals.

The male is on top.

Apr 6, 06 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Jeepers, mysterious disappearing image!

The url is http://www.photo.net/bboard/image?bboard_upload_id=17681884

Apr 6, 06 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

wow that's so cool!! takes such a boring little corner and has so much fun with it, with such a simple idea! i LOVE stuff like that. surprising things!

...in fact, i bet those cardinals evoke a SUBTLE PLEASANT SENSATION!

i am highly impressed. i love stuff like that. i wish ugly corners in towns always had happy moments of surprise like that.

Apr 6, 06 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
AP

random cardinal

Apr 6, 06 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
French

Hey Liberty, congrats to your husband.
Hopefully, our installation will come up in june:

Apr 7, 06 5:17 am  · 
 · 

lb, congrats to mr lb. i didn't ever say that last night. i was feeling congratulatory, but it looks now like my comments came out snarky.

curious > how much did brian have to explain his proposal to have it accepted as a public art project?

now i have to go search out the difference between the dark and the light male birds. does it have to do with season/molting? age? different species or variety? you'd think i'd know more about cardinals: it's the state bird in both my home state, va, and my adopted state, ky. i think it's also the name of a basketball team here.

Apr 7, 06 7:30 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

alright guys... any Idea why the "anyone in dubai" thread, started by cameron, was deleted?

Apr 7, 06 7:38 am  · 
 · 

he got his answer and he has the power to delete?

Apr 7, 06 7:39 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Steven, apparently the color variances relate to the quality of the feeding environment. The dark birds shown above are slightly purplish, which means they are missing some necessary nutrients in their diet. The super bright red is the sign of optimal circumstances: those cardinals are getting lots of what they need.

Brian's proposal was quite simple: a few words about the "meaning" ie state bird (of Indiana too), males gathering in a group as I wrote above, slightly overscaled to catch your eye especially if driving past at a faster speed than walking, and a few words about construction technique (modelled in clay, cast in urethane, automotive paint).

One interesting question is whther the state/city/whoever controls the guardrail and signage is going to be willing to let him bolt the birds directly to the infrastructure or if he will have to fake it with a separate perch - but the public art office who runs the program told him they are willing to fight to allow him to bolt directly to the guardrail and signs. Yay for enlightened public officials!

Apr 7, 06 7:56 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Now French, let's hear an extensive description of your installation, which looks very cool and I'll say much more architectural than a bunch of birds! Venue? Location? Content? Is it really a flat screen or really a cloud with projections? Work with students (you teach, right?) or office? More details, please....I love reading here about what people are working on.

Apr 7, 06 7:58 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

first of all im pissed cuz my brilliant analogous pic cant be seen and secondly i should have been a bird scientist. thirdly, i just got a bad feeling lb that these would be great target practice. are these going to be in my neighborhood? lets hear it ball staters! go cardinals!!!

warning: for the next 48 hours all posts by me will contain cheerleaders hooray!!!

Apr 7, 06 8:02 am  · 
 · 
French

Lb
Not with student but with a good friend of mine as a partner on this project. Location: Paris, between the austerlitz station and the grande bibliotheque, by the Seine. Date: from june 8th to june 11th.
And it's not a flat screen but a cloud and light projectors. The tile is teleport.
here is a view from the platform:

Apr 7, 06 8:13 am  · 
 · 
French

and her's the website for the whole event (in french unfortunately)

Apr 7, 06 8:14 am  · 
 · 
French

sorry
fav2006.free.fr/pageaccueil.html

Apr 7, 06 8:15 am  · 
 · 

cool event! interesting things.

i read your first image as a box that glowed but now see that it doesn't have any sides. so there's the possibility of people standing on this platform? (judging from the first image.) that would be an amazing feeling, i suspect.

and their BIG shadows would be projected on the ceiling, affecting the lighting of the whole space. maybe not in a crisp, obvious way because the vapor would mess with the projection of the shadows.

this will be cool. too bad i don't have a trip to france planned any time soon.

Apr 7, 06 8:32 am  · 
 · 
French

Oh well, I'll post pictures if we manage to build it the way we want it! The deadline is closed, and it's tough to find partners to work with us since we don't have any money to do it. But we're close to the goal, and once we've found the money, the study should be pretty fast. i'll give some news as it goes on...

Apr 7, 06 8:41 am  · 
 · 
aml

french, i'm loving the whole concept - thanks for the link. should be so cool if everything gets built. will this be up at the same time as the paris plage thing?

Apr 7, 06 9:55 am  · 
 · 
French

no I don't think so. Paris Plage is usually between the 15th of july and the 15th of august. Thanks for the nice words yall...

Apr 7, 06 9:59 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Wow French it sounds amazing. Good luck getting it built and make sure to get some pics to post here. I love the notion as Steven said of inhabiting the space within the projections, being part of it as the image is on you and your shadow is on others...very very cool!

My internet at the office is down so I'm posting from home on lunch hour. Such a gorgeous day in the midwest I'm about to walk into Broad Ripple and enjoy some sidewalk time aaahhhh.

Apr 7, 06 11:59 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

So here's a question for the fashion-ista archinecters: I'm now working out at a gym, and often wear my architecture sucks T-shirt.

(A guy approached me laughing to ask about it today, turns out he's an architect too so I sent him here - hope to see you, Jeff.)

So the question is, do I cut the sleeves off, as most guys at the gym do, for the functional/minimalism of seeing my arms better during bicep work, or is that too-too gym rat?

Apr 7, 06 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i like it when the girls roll up the sleeves.

Apr 7, 06 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

lb- cut them into cap sleeves, but not the full on tank-top conversion that the guys do. Cap sleeves are so much more flattering, and you don't run the risk of oversized armpit holes.

Apr 7, 06 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

rationalist, a picture? I'm not sure what you mean but the oversize armhole thing is a concern.

Apr 7, 06 2:49 pm  · 
 · 

having trouble finding pics of one that was self-cut, but here's a generic pic of a cap sleeve t.

Apr 7, 06 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

cap sleves:

And, I second them! In fact, this is such a good idea I think I will do the same with my gym shirts. Now the question is: where to get a good sports bra...

Apr 7, 06 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

well if you find out the answer to THAT question, let me know. One time I got stuck on a front row elliptical trainer, and a couple of guys outside stopped in front of the windows and just watched me bounce. I gave them mean looks until they went away because I didn't want to let them make me leave, but it was very uncomfortable. = (

Apr 7, 06 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I saw an ad for one recently in fitness magazine that I wanted to try out:

cr-w sports bras

They're kind of creepily intense, and so are their aryan models, but I'm intrigued. Wish I could find one around here to try on...

Apr 7, 06 3:54 pm  · 
 · 

gentlemen, shall we begin talking jockstraps?

Apr 7, 06 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

c'mon Steven, no one wants to think about jock straps! Bouncing boobs, on the other hand... DUH.

Apr 7, 06 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: