Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

JLC-1

Have you seen this yet? guns in schools, hahahahahahahahahaha.......

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...

Mar 1, 18 10:23 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Dear Archinect, I was just looking at comments on any of these topics in the forum and thought, why can't they put the latest comments at the top of the page instead of having to flip over pages that are years old? that's how my email is setup, I have the most recent at the top. thanks.

Mar 2, 18 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

It'd make reading threads hard. You'd have to read backwards.

Mar 2, 18 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

you mean like when they "feature" comments? yes, I don't mind, I just want to see what's been said more recently first.

Mar 2, 18 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

So I declined an invitation to work an unpaid Saturday and now my boss has somehow made me feel guilty about it. What a shit profession!

Mar 4, 18 9:14 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Tried my mightiest to no avail.

Mar 4, 18 11:33 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Salary or hourly?

Mar 4, 18 11:58 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

My firm is hourly until you hit a cutoff at around 15 yrs total experience. So I'm hourly.

Mar 4, 18 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

What does 15 yrs experience have to do with salary or hourly? Sounds weird. How much experience do u have? Is this a regular occurence? Has your boss generally been good to you? Hard to comment on specific situation without knowing more about your relationship with your boss but it's generally a good experience to learn
how to say no.

Mar 4, 18 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Yeah it's not a set 15 years... Very similar to som model ... At a certain point, you switch from hourly to salary, just much later than som usually does, for example.

Mar 4, 18 7:03 pm  · 
 · 

Start looking for a new job.

Mar 4, 18 9:55 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I have been. Along with this lingering, pestering hald-idea half-feeling that I should start my own practice.

Mar 4, 18 11:34 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Recently got a side job from the superintendent of my latest project with the firm I work at and I could probably fanagle a teaching job in the autumn while filling in with writing and other stuff. It's still a big step to contemplate.

Mar 4, 18 11:36 am  · 
 · 

Any feeling of "security" you have now is illusionary. Be confident in yourself, in the end that's all you've got.

Mar 4, 18 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Starting my own firm worked for me! (sing to the tune of "hooked on phonics")

Mar 4, 18 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

What is it with architects and grand stairs? I am into good enough stairs. Grand stairs is one of those phrases that make me want to vomit. 

Mar 4, 18 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I believe Monumental Stair is the term d'art

Mar 4, 18 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I hear both terms. Same thing. Except grand is pronounced graaaand.

Mar 4, 18 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I like those simply detailed steel and concrete stairs the modernists used. Corbu's fire stair in the Carpenter Center is nicer than most of the "Graaaand Stairs" i've ever seen designed.

Mar 5, 18 10:18 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Guess you hate the Spanish Steps at the Piazza di Spagna then.

Mar 7, 18 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

No I don't hate the Piazza di Spagna.

Mar 9, 18 8:48 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Is it off-base for me to hope that those that I graduated with would extend a helping-hand for getting employment in their firm?  I'm not looking, but someone I know is, and they've received zero help from anyone in their graduating class, or alumni in general .  Pretty lame considering I got one of them their first job before they moved on to bigger and better things...

Mar 6, 18 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Depends on how much do you know of their capabilities after graduation and some years of work; I've had some people asking for a helping hand and I couldn't really recommend them based on my experience working with them. It reflects on you if the "friend" is not as capable as you hope or remember.

Mar 6, 18 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I've always extended solid opportunities to my fellow classmates when one is looking for new employment.

Mar 6, 18 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

There's always a risk in helping to the point of getting someone an actual job, I still put my neck out there and did it. I knew then that landing that first job was more about who you knew than much else, so I helped out a classmate. But in this case the total lack of any assistance at all levels, friends, classmates, professors, etc. at a point in the market at which I hear it's tough to find anyone, is appalling.

Mar 6, 18 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

call them on it.

Mar 6, 18 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I got a friend a job once. It didn't go well cause then she tried to be my boss and I didn't take to it very well and left.

Mar 8, 18 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Miny Non-Sequitur took his first steps today.

Mar 8, 18 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Good luck running after him from now on :)

Mar 9, 18 3:14 am  · 
 · 
randomised

My kid just started crawling and already hit warp speed, he's suddenly everywhere at the same time.

Mar 9, 18 3:16 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Yes, relativity does not affect them.

Mar 9, 18 7:47 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Get him a soccer ball to kick around... then you can yell at him."I told you not to play with that in the house!" :D

Mar 9, 18 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

but I encourage the kicking and throwing of balls in the house.

Mar 9, 18 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

My first kid was hiking in the mountains on her own two feet at 10.5 months. Second one is a lazy one. Not even interested in crawling at 9 months. Must sit on my lap all day long, mama's boy.

Mar 9, 18 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Tint, mine just started taking steps unassisted at 21month...

Mar 12, 18 10:33 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

Grats on the kiddo, let's hope mini NS doesn't learn to spell the canadian way.

Mar 12, 18 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You mean, the correct way?

Mar 12, 18 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie
placebeyondthesplines_

perfectly executed, techie. also, shame about your dumbfuck kid, NS

Mar 12, 18 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I see where you're going Archie. I thought you were referring to my use of Canadian English. Splines, that's uncalled for.

Mar 12, 18 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

[Edit] Place, don't get too personal.

Mar 12, 18 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

...and you're fine with some wanker taking cheap shots at another's toddler?

Mar 12, 18 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines_

yeah okay. actual sincere apologies to you, NS. it was meant to be a joke, but the intended tone didn't translate. 

Mar 12, 18 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Fair enough splines. I Appreciate the response.

Mar 12, 18 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Berliner!

Mar 12, 18 3:13 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

not enough jelly

Mar 12, 18 10:32 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

Just noticed there are multiple doppelgangers of placebeyondthespline - platzzwischendenrucken & splinesbetweentheplace. Why?

Mar 12, 18 11:09 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I blame Trump

Mar 12, 18 11:23 am  · 
 · 

It was the Russians.

Mar 12, 18 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

NS - You blame everything on Trump tho, even the death of the neighbour's cat lel

Mar 12, 18 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I hate cats, cats are dumb and evil. I don't care if trump killed the cat or not.

Mar 12, 18 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

That's 1 thing you didn't blame others for! Yay!

Mar 12, 18 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines_

when a post gets removed because the maker of some shitty portfolio gets their feewings hurt, the account gets removed from the whole thread. the pbts accounts with underscores are all me, but that dipshit platzz is most definitely not.

Mar 12, 18 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Solar flares today got everyone's ions off balance.

Mar 14, 18 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

except that it's not a unique event...

Mar 14, 18 11:00 pm  · 
 · 

My ions have been waaaaay out of balance this week.

Mar 14, 18 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Never said it was unique.

Mar 15, 18 12:25 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

oops

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2018...

Mar 15, 18 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

That's a catastrophic failure. Going to be interesting to see what happened.

Mar 15, 18 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

DAMN...

Mar 15, 18 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1
b3tadine[sutures]

http://www.mcm-us.com/about-us/executive-board

Mar 16, 18 12:01 am  · 
 · 

ARCHINECT: Is there any way to stop comment updates other than blocking the email?

Set to 'daily summary' which for some reason is anytime a comment is made. an OFF option would be appreciated.

Mar 16, 18 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Balkins has crossed another line and went to the google doc to cause the kind of havoc that can be more harmful than anything he can do here.

Mar 18, 18 12:47 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Let me know if you want to be done here too.

Mar 18, 18 12:57 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

"As this is a discussion, I suggest maybe the title be relabeled "Shitty Architecture People" (SAP). There may be a case out there where it is a women that is committing wrong. It keeps the list legitimate. We don't need a SAM and SAW list. One list is good enough. Other than that, I think the goal is fine. Sexual harassment, discrimination and like issues is wrong whether the perpetrator is man or women. (Only comment I need to say here.) The label just seems to give the implied impression that it is about targeting only men. The same tool should be applied regardless of gender. We may also learn more about those issues of woman being "Shitty" (whether it be sexual discrimination, sexual harassment or otherwise.) - over and out. RB-A"

Where in the above did you suggest that again?

Mar 18, 18 12:59 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

"Thanks for keeping professional about it and catching those entry attempt. Despite how we may debate, disagree, argue, what not, I appreciate the overall professionalism. 

Personally, I feel the title should be "Shitty People in Architecture" so as to be a list that looks into issues. I might not know specific issues of cases going on in individual firms and such, I've hear of cases (not necessarily in Architecture) of women who commit sexual harassment. I think being forward thinking even if the currently list may have just men at this time, by saying "People", we aren't making implied claim that it is just men to be listed. The idea of the list is fair enough. I had a chance to look at the list, finally. I appreciate to disclaimer that is their. A little more work on the title and I think we be good. 

If more information is brought forward about women that are 'shitty' (in like context) with appropriate supporting information, it would be fair. I wouldn't think a men and women list would be necessary. One single list and a column for gender (M/F and whatever else for Transgender) would be sufficient. The goal is to encourage the end of sexual harassment & discrimination. That's part of the mission, right? If so, we should be fair for all people and "shame" them for doing such wrong.... regardless of gender. I apologize for being a pain in the ass about it on the forum. It's tat for tat. 

I know the phrase is a little different but it might be wrong to say in context of the subject matter. For all I know, you might be a woman and this PM goes to private mail not as a general public forum post. Sometimes I try to be sensitive but other times, a different issue. I'm not always a prick even though I'll always be a Dick.... (you know.... Dick is a nickname for Richard)."

Mar 18, 18 12:53 am  · 
 · 

Isn't Richard banned yet? Or has he been banned then changed his name and come back? 

Mar 18, 18 11:31 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
What happened here in the last 24hrs?
Mar 18, 18 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

Yes he was previously banned, changed his name, and came back.  When he was banned before, the last straw was when he copy-pasted a pages-long homophobic rant from Reddit. Every now and then when some years-old thread gets resurrected, it has bizarre posts in it from someone with no name. That's because when he was banned previously his name was removed, but only some of his content was removed.

Mar 18, 18 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

Richard just emailed me privately telling me I'm a devil. I'm going to ask that he be banned. He offers nothing of value here.

Mar 18, 18 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

For Sean connery’s sake... can that hermit dog himself an even deeper hole? Wait... he most certainly can. Damn.

Mar 18, 18 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

*dig

Mar 18, 18 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I say post the email. I did.

Mar 18, 18 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

That's the reason I set my account so I can't get private messages. He sent some creepy (implied threats) emails to me years ago. 

Mar 18, 18 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Don't think it's right to ban a special needs archinecter though.

Mar 18, 18 4:31 pm  · 
 · 

Is anyone else not able to view the last page of TC on their computer? On the phone it's fine.

Mar 18, 18 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

This is currently only affecting forum moderators. Fix will be coming soon.

Mar 19, 18 1:07 pm  · 
 · 

Wait - Archinect has moderators? Count me as surprised. No one has ever mentioned it.

Mar 19, 18 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Am curious why b3ta's Libernect thread was nuked...

Mar 19, 18 11:59 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

same... seemed like a good and safe place to trap dumb ideas. Now without the quarantine, they will spread out to other discussions.

Mar 19, 18 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

b3ta requested that it be nuked

Mar 19, 18 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

He indeed isn't one for free speech QED.

Mar 19, 18 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Hating Bjarke is the new loving Bjarke.

Mar 19, 18 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

he's got a 17 in the "do you recognize this behavior" column. please don't tell me that's why you started liking him....

Mar 19, 18 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

There is a spreadsheet out there

Mar 19, 18 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Whoa. Left for a week and the forum exploded. Way too much to keep track of, what happened (crib notes version)? Something about RB? Is he gone again?

Mar 19, 18 3:50 pm  · 
 · 

RB suffered a cranial-rectal inversion, threatened Donna via email, then tried to deny it with a new thread which was nuked, along with his account (I hope). All of which was inspired(?) by the shitty men thread and Dick Meier.

Mar 19, 18 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

In all seriousness, has anyone made any inquiries into whether he needs help? I wouldn't want to be in a situation where warnings were ignored because someone seemed harmless.

Mar 19, 18 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

That's my point. If he's crossed the line to actual threats, then the local authorities should be made aware. The authorities can decide what to do with the information, but when people who are not anonymous are being threatened, actions should be taken to protect them. Just my $0.02.

Mar 19, 18 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Not Balkins related, but heading home last night, we stopped at a rest area on the highway and witnessed the start of a domestic dispute that turned violent when the women attempted to run over a man with her car. They promptly left, together, but not without us and some staff attempting an intervention. 30mins later we saw the vehicle pulled to the side with 4 police cruisers. We are certain that that night would have ended differently and badly had we not alerted the authorities. True story.

Mar 19, 18 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^Yes, there were complaints made although I do not remember the results. The flames form the dumpster were too much to bare.

Mar 19, 18 4:49 pm  · 
 · 

Non - you Canucks are some crazy dangerous people. No wonder the US is armed to the teeth.

Mar 19, 18 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Isn't it obvious Rick has some mental issues? He surely has a reduced mental/social capacity, I think all the mocking, teasing and bullying isn't really helping his condition/situation either. Think he needs professional help before things get really out of hand and he might either harm himself or lash out. Aren't there some procedures in the US to notify authorities?

Mar 20, 18 5:04 am  · 
 · 
Gloominati

When he sent threats to me, they were not threats of violence - they were threats of harassment by contacting my state board and my employer with baseless accusations. I'm not sure that rises to the level of reportable. I just changed my name here and turned off the ability to message me. By his own accounts he was sent to somebody at his university to evaluate him after he deliberately intimidated an administrator. He also admitted to hosting on his website some acquaintance's photos, which may or may not have involved stalking on that other person's part - that seemed to be a matter of debate on another forum. The latter incident seemed more like RB was being manipulated - i.e. more the naive, unwitting accomplice than a first-hand stalker. Some things he's said about his parents also make me wonder if he's living in some sort of Turpin-family scenario. So who does one call about that? The police? Social services?

Mar 20, 18 8:24 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Sounds more like something for social services / mental health professionals.

Mar 20, 18 8:33 am  · 
 · 

In the US those services are basically non-existent until after the fact.

Mar 20, 18 9:23 am  · 
 · 
randomised

That explains a lot.

Mar 20, 18 9:31 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I've conversed with RB in email too. He never threatened me. I told him I would help him find any kind of help he needed and I would help him figure out what kind of help that could be too. Never heard back.

Mar 20, 18 10:11 am  · 
 · 
Flatfish

RB has now explicitly stated that it is his intent to be "a pain in the ass SUPER-Troll". Isn't that enough to give him the boot?

Apr 22, 18 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Wow that SAM thread blew up.

I'm keeping an eye on the spreadsheet... but I can't follow all the bullshit in that thread anymore. 

Mar 19, 18 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray
I'm SO confused by the Petes. I THOUGHT one of you was formerly known as Chris, but now I'm just totally lost... everyone keeps changing names on here. Makes me feel very disoriented and disconnected.
Mar 19, 18 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

The multiple-pseudo-petes was getting way too confusing. So Sneaky is/always was a different one ?

Mar 20, 18 9:38 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I've never had any other nicknames on here, and I don't have any sock puppets.

Mar 20, 18 10:04 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

PP should have stayed Olaf.

Mar 20, 18 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

You killed him.

Mar 21, 18 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

The helpful, smart, funny, creative, positive, and kind one can stay. Get rid of the rest of them.

Mar 21, 18 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Yeah, the pot stirring is a bit off putting, especially when the alternative is so much better.

Mar 21, 18 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I like Chris.

Mar 21, 18 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Once you go positive you will wonder why you were ever negative. Life is too short. Thought experiments and pot stirring can be positive and kind. Positivity is like learning to fly when everyone else is crawling. I was really excited when you declared positivity, but I'm not seeing it.

Mar 21, 18 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

If you can be non-sensical, you can be positive.

Mar 21, 18 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

And the 'To clarify stuff etc.'-thread is gone too, guess that was it for Astoria, for real this time...

Mar 20, 18 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

and several hours past my prediction. I owe someone a Guinness then.

Mar 20, 18 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I missed most of it, but I don't think I miss it.

Mar 20, 18 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Maybe it simply moved to my email, I'll check my inbox, seems to be a thing these days.

Mar 20, 18 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I'm not a fan of deleting evidence of bad behavior, nor of the names of banned members disappearing from the posts they have made. It removes consequences of ones actions on the internet. While I post anonymously, what I say here should not become unattributed to me if I get myself banned.

Mar 20, 18 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Agreed, wasn't the internet supposed to be forever?

Mar 20, 18 12:43 pm  · 
 · 

Time will tell. I called for his removal along with his Donna thread, but only the thread got axed. Maybe this time is different?

Mar 20, 18 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Nope, he's back at it, in the "Libertarianism" thread.

Mar 21, 18 3:47 am  · 
 · 

I left Archinect for a year when he commandeered the forums. Must have been off his meds. Between him and jla-x maybe it's time to go again.

Mar 21, 18 9:30 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Just putting him on ignore has kept my blood pressure down. He can't commandeer the forum if most of us don't see him or engage.

Mar 21, 18 10:47 am  · 
 · 
citizen

^ Grown-up solution +++

Mar 21, 18 12:01 pm  · 
 · 

I must have missed out on something, my name came up? I don't know what's going on but in any case I'm all for a total ban on Richard Balkins. He doesn't offer anything constructive, and what worries me is: I know I can ignore him, but new visitors to the forum won't know that this person who carries on (and on and on and on) about things somewhat related to architecture is usually saying things that are wrong.

Mar 22, 18 9:32 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Donna, Ricardo Balkachino Jr posted some apology threads directed at you. They were along the lines of "sorry, but not sorry, because of poor logic".

Mar 22, 18 9:59 am  · 
 · 

You also missed a direct back and forth with b3ta, and at least two threads that have been nuked. Like a dumpster fire, but much less entertaining.

Mar 22, 18 10:40 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

very much less entertaining. although, i will say my photos from Universal's Halloween spectacular did come in handy.

Mar 23, 18 6:29 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Just had a contractor come fix something at my house. People who ask what it is like being an architect, just think about how unfun it is to have to get quotes, negotiate work on your house, evaluate it, and write a check for it. And have construction noise.

Mar 20, 18 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I fired the first contractor I hired to do work on our house on the first day. Expensive solution with no alternative or even basic explanation of what that cost gets me? Sorry, but no thanks.

Mar 21, 18 10:55 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I got this guy down half price yesterday but I still way overpaid for what he did. Scam artists. But at least he taught me some stuff, so I'll take the lesson for the extra money. He said "lube" about 40 times. Dude.

Mar 21, 18 10:59 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Do architects ever speak at the ground-breaking or ribbon-cutting of a project?  Do we ever get credit?  I haven't been doing this all that long, but I've yet to see us get any credit or recognition on the projects we've designed so far...  There's got to be a reason, once I get to the point I'm running projects, I don't want to go to these things and not be recognized, any advice?  Just got done on a project, and the project management consultant (scam artist) gets to speak at the ground breaking, she didn't even work on the project!

Mar 21, 18 11:36 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

In my experience I or my firm has generally been mentioned/credited at the ribbon cutting or project-warming or whatever. I haven't experienced many of these where there was much if any speaking by anyone other than the owner, OPM, building committee, or major donors/funders. If it were part of the program for someone else on the team to speak, I'd expect that to be the CM if it's a CM project, or the architect and/or GC on a GC project. Personally I'd rather have my firm just recognized, and am happy most of these things aren't speaking engagements. The only time I've really felt slighted was on a mid-sized commercial project where we were completely left off the toast list at the opening party. The OPM later apologized personally - he said that it wasn't typical in their company to hire an architect, and some of the upper management wasn't aware that he had done so on that project. We didn't know until then that we were a secret! He later asked that we not use the project in our online portfolio - we did take the name off but their corporate branding is pretty obvious in the photos, and I'm not taking it down.

Mar 21, 18 11:51 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Those are normally celebratory occasions where also the architects are mentioned, thanked or even say a few words...very unusual to be snubbed in my experience.

Mar 22, 18 3:53 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Every time for us, random...

Mar 23, 18 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Today, was lisenng to someone who was telling me about how they designed their own house, on and on. Pressing for details, because, frankly, I was impressed that they did it themselves and wanted to hear about their experience, they eventually said they just picked options from what the designer gave them from some choices. And it was really really hard and overwhelming to pick from those options they said! Lol. But they were the designer! Pure innocent delusion.

Mar 26, 18 6:37 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

I attended a friend's wedding, which they had at their new in-laws home. This home was, for no more appropriate term, bitchin'. Every detail was worked out, nothing came from a kit-of-parts that you usually see from a custom home outfit. So I had to ask, turns out they initially worked with a custom home business, and quickly found that there was nothing custom at all about what they were going to get, so they hired an architecture prof. from a nearby Uni who not only worked the design out with them, but also did the CA. The way they talked about the custom home people gave me a bad taste, it's hard to believe anyone would put up with that process knowing you're not really getting what you want while laying out some pretty good money. ANYWAY, I guess if I wanted recognition I would've chosen another profession, but the point stands.

Mar 26, 18 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

I just have to wonder if it's a matter of communication, or these clients just don't like us...  Nothing as scandalous as being an unmentionable secret though.  

Mar 21, 18 11:59 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Locker room sight lines are going to be the death of me.

Mar 21, 18 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

What were you looking at you perv ;)

Mar 22, 18 3:50 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Floorplans.

Sexy sexy floorplans.

Mar 22, 18 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Ah okay, so section got jealous, careful there, make section feel sexy too!

Mar 23, 18 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Wall Sextions.

Mar 23, 18 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

Just got this request - clearly a very serious client:

Project Description Hello. I am Noah Boyd. I am in dire need of help DESIGNING My Family’s New One of a Kind Mansion with a Water Park, Amusement Park, and Airport. The Architecture I am going for this Mansion is a Gothic Chateau Fairytale Castle similar to a mixture of Versailles and gothic castles around the globe. However We need to get started in 2021 so my Deadline will be in 2020, This will give me a lot of time to find the right people for the RIGHT Job. The Mansion will have everything I can Imagine, and will be the largest Mansion EVER Built (Around 3 Acres Large). The Mansion will have everything an ordinary MANSION has. 

Mar 22, 18 7:58 pm  · 
 · 

Sounds legit.

Mar 22, 18 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I like how both castle and chateau are used in the same description.

Mar 22, 18 8:55 pm  · 
 · 

What, no zoo? Pass.

Mar 22, 18 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

that two living room credit card guy is everywhere. he emails me about twice a week.

Mar 22, 18 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

I’m getting all the crazies

Mar 23, 18 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

I’m getting all the crazies

Mar 23, 18 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

Here’s today’s crazy

Mar 23, 18 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

I would like to introduce to you our company Sie. My name is Derek Emery Sie Badio. Sie is a new file format in computers. It allows us to connect to the land with Sierra Nevada, Sierra Madre, and Sierra Vista in the USA. With my name Sie, the Sie Software, and the Sie in the land, we can install architectural plans in the ground which installs building logic in the words of the planet. This is also useful with plans and planet. Sie also has Sierozems for Soil in the software. It has Sienites for rocks. It has Siemens for conductivity. It has Siesta for sleeping. It has Siege. It has Si for Yes.
With our logic for Sie and its translation reversal in text we have EIS, Environmental Impact Statements. We have Environmental Seismic Intensity Scale. We have Institution of Environmental Sciences. We have the Information Sharing Environment.

We have the acronym, Seismic Infrasonic Engineering. We can measure with our body as Badio which is a voice controlled computer and sound and vibration meter. With this we can install the building logic into the land. We are able to 3D print the building with the land as the materials, the desktop computer as the computer, and Sie in Derek Emery Sie Badio as the 01 Hz construction person. All are equipped with 01 Hz technology, with Sierra Vista as Windows Vista, Derek Emery Sie Badio as Badio with Sie, and a computer with Sie software.We haven’t printed a building yet. However, our software needs a project to 3D print, with actual numbers. A picture of the Sie software is attached. It shows that the software is ready in the bottom left corner. We installed the binary for our design and software, and the software displayed “Ready”. We are ready to work on any project. Our phone number is 401-941-6484, if you would like to talk to us.

Regards,

Derek Emery Sie Badio
Sie
Mar 23, 18 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Dragon's Milk. 11% abv. That is all.

Mar 22, 18 9:50 pm  · 
 · 

I've got some Goose Island selections for celebration/farewell drinks tonight. A few of them are over 10% abv.

Mar 23, 18 10:48 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Feel like a jet engine in a VW bug. Or is it that I feel like like a bug in a jet engine?

Mar 26, 18 6:43 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Counting in my head my female classmates who are still in architecture. I count 5-7 out of about 30. I think the smart ones left.

Mar 26, 18 6:49 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I'll take a free hug. Tintt, if it helps, I know a few of my female classmates who now own or started their own firms... but I'd say a fair share went into academia.

Mar 26, 18 8:59 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I’ll take hugs but what I really need is for someone to repeatedly beat me in the head with a seasoned 2 by 4.

Mar 26, 18 11:07 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

And thank god for teaching jobs!

Mar 26, 18 11:09 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i've had plenty of 2x4 beatings. i could switch them out for hugs.

Mar 26, 18 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

in the latest he-said she-said i saw on the news this morning, it turns out a porn star has more credibility than the president of the united states.  it's like idiocracy really is happening.

Mar 26, 18 8:57 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

And the bridge with fake structure fell.

Mar 26, 18 11:05 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Good article and interview. I'm officially old I now know because when I go out to eat I'm like, why does all the waitstaff look like they are homeless and why do they all talk with a whine followed by a giggle?

Mar 27, 18 7:29 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I've been watching more Rogan videos. They are smoking pot in this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLgTy0eu1oY

Mar 31, 18 11:24 am  · 
 · 

Laugh of the day:

Mar 26, 18 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

How's that Ignore User feature working out for you?

Mar 26, 18 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

I know it's there, tracked all over the forum as if from a pig farmer's boots, but at least I don't have to smell it. Still, it brings the whole forum down.

Mar 26, 18 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Generates a lot of traffic, advertisers must be over the moon!

Mar 26, 18 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Oh, why did I go and look at ricky's posts there.... An assault by wall of text.

Mar 26, 18 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Ya mean Rick is sponsored by archinect to drive traffic for advertisers?

Mar 27, 18 7:01 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ive made a similar claim

Mar 27, 18 7:25 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Damn phone. I’ve made a similar claim during his last exile period.

Mar 27, 18 7:26 am  · 
 · 
Take all the anger you feel for the world and put it to productive use in making things better. I’m trying so hard to do that right now but there are only so many hours in a day!
Mar 27, 18 6:03 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I had a client yesterday who was pissed at roof scupper flashing. I handled it within the hour like a boss. Bankin favours for future projects!

Mar 27, 18 7:28 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I read that as "Balkins favours for future projects!"

Mar 27, 18 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I read it as Balkin flavors, like something you sprinkle over popcorn.

Mar 27, 18 11:06 pm  · 
 · 

Ewwwww

Mar 27, 18 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I finally ignored him too. I tried to hold out but can't anymore.

Mar 28, 18 11:31 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

We seem to have attracted a shiny new troll.

Mar 28, 18 11:29 am  · 
 · 

Only one?

Mar 28, 18 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You must be refering to TrogIodytarum? He/she/it is fun.

Mar 28, 18 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Fun if you know to take pretty much everything said and do the opposite, otherwise...

Mar 28, 18 8:36 pm  · 
 · 

Learned a new word today: canuxploitation.

Mar 29, 18 11:21 am  · 
 · 
Concrete brick rep looking at pic of 4x half-high unit: “Masons love this brick; they’ll lay it all day.”

Me looking at pic of Brad Pitt: “Same”

*This is why I won’t be surprised if I end up on the SMIA list.
Mar 29, 18 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Shitty Moms?

Mar 29, 18 10:26 pm  · 
 · 

Shitty Moms In Architecture, yes. I'm on that list, whose Venn diagram forms a perfect circle with the Superhero Moms In Architecture list, by the way!

Mar 30, 18 7:42 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Good to know.

Mar 30, 18 10:46 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Teaching my kid how to refinish wood floors today. I love working with my hands!

Mar 30, 18 11:38 am  · 
 · 
This rep just said “double flush” and “shrinkage” and I can’t stop giggling. I’m a 10 year old boy.
Mar 29, 18 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

ask how they accommodate upper deckers!

Mar 30, 18 11:04 am  · 
 · 

Well I'm unemployed now....

Until Monday.

Mar 29, 18 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

wait... how does that work?

Mar 29, 18 2:20 pm  · 
 · 

Last day at old office was yesterday, first day at new office is Monday. I've been working on a painting all day and it has been lovely.

Mar 29, 18 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

didn't you just start a new job?

Mar 29, 18 7:22 pm  · 
 · 

Me? No. I was at my last place 5 and a half years

Mar 29, 18 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Don't let it get you down, only three more days to go! Just force yourself to get out of bed in the morning and always do the dishes before you go to bed ;)

Mar 30, 18 3:08 am  · 
 · 

Oh, I'm not down at all. I've been painting the last two days - and it has been very enjoyable. It was more of a tongue-in-cheek post.

Mar 31, 18 12:05 am  · 
 · 

Can we embed instagram posts here?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg...

Mar 30, 18 7:43 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

4 days without a bump.... certainly we can't all be that busy.

Donna, I trust it was you who nuked that shiny new troll who was channeling me last night?

Apr 4, 18 9:37 am  · 
 · 

What did I miss?

Apr 4, 18 9:49 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

nothing much. Someone spawned with "Non Seequeetur" tag and answered a bunch of discussions with contrarian, or insulting responses.

Apr 4, 18 9:54 am  · 
 · 

That wasn't me, but wasn't there some earlier contretemps about a user name similar to place-beyond-the-splines being imitated? I think I blocked that person.

Apr 4, 18 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

You mess with yourself enough as it is.

Apr 5, 18 12:11 am  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

What ever happened to Pritchard Stalkins??

Apr 5, 18 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier
I’m gonna start posting as Sonna Dink.
Apr 4, 18 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
Sonna Dink’s first thread should be titled “Will My Ivy League Arch School Knowledge Help Me Fully Express My Dog’s Anal Glands?”
Apr 5, 18 7:55 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Yes, if Harvard has a veterinary school and you found the time for electives.

Apr 5, 18 8:09 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Be careful what you wish for-you may get it.

Apr 5, 18 9:09 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Is it bad form to submit projects you designed while employed at a firm you no longer work at for awards? Would obviously credit the firm appropriately, but seems like it may cause some issues - never heard of anyone doing this.

Apr 5, 18 4:58 pm  · 
 · 

You need to ask them if they are submitting for the award first. If they are, you can't, and if they don't give you permission, you can't, but if they don't want the bother of going through the submittal process they might tell you to go for it as long as they are credited.

Apr 5, 18 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

That seems like a tricky one - it may be ok in some instances (for example a former coworker submitted one of my previous firm's projects that he worked on for the YAF exhibit at the AIA convention), but I could see this pissing people off too. Maybe reach out to your former firm and see? It might get them to want to submit for said award and then you can share the glory when you win.

Apr 5, 18 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Thanks Donna, that's exactly the advice I was looking for.

Apr 5, 18 5:53 pm  · 
 · 

Advice on best software and tutorials to use to create a walkthrough animation of a building, thanks 

Apr 5, 18 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hire Pixar to do it for you.

Apr 5, 18 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

"There's an app for that."

Apr 6, 18 3:25 am  · 
 · 

Blender.

Apr 6, 18 1:15 pm  · 
 · 

Is there a reason why the comments are turned of for the Wash-U article?

Apr 6, 18 12:43 pm  · 
 · 

Maybe because it's sponsored? I don't know, just guessing.

Apr 6, 18 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

is there any way to change that setting, it would be nice to make comments...

Apr 6, 18 6:16 pm  · 
 · 

With powers...

Apr 6, 18 9:16 pm  · 
 · 

no powers here.

Apr 7, 18 11:24 am  · 
 · 
Archinect

Marc - all of our sponsored articles have comments turned off.

Apr 20, 18 11:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: