Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

@miles i am only 30ish and already feel that way. Especially myself!

also @vado "gruesome", really?

Mar 20, 14 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
A picture of a Ronald Reagan coffee table book on the coffee table of an idiot asshat Hoosier congressperson. Truly gruesome.
Mar 20, 14 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Nice, Donna!
Mar 20, 14 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Testing, Testing 1,2,3.   Testing Testing

Mar 23, 14 11:30 am  · 
 · 

<ping>

Mar 23, 14 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
I think we are all tired if seeing threads from young people who can't decide which school to attend.
Mar 23, 14 12:31 pm  · 
 · 

... or find a job. You'd think the former would research the latter before making a monumental decision. Although there are probably one or two worse career choices. Cobbler, anyone?

Mar 23, 14 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
I would LOVE some cobbler. Is it peach or apple? With ice cream?
Mar 23, 14 7:27 pm  · 
 · 

Seriously, yes, I have no interest in the school threads. I'm surprised Patrik Schumacher's facebook rant hasn't shown up here but I'm too tired to post it.

Mar 23, 14 8:03 pm  · 
 · 

Too tired, or not bored enough?

Mar 23, 14 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

The much maligned Boston City Hall Plaza is undergoing a major renovation starting this week - including getting rid of the weird bunker-like subway station entrance.

here is what is existing

here is a link to what is proposed (you have to watch a video)

From the article:

Uhlig said he hopes the finished plaza will prompt some appreciation for the space, as well as the much-maligned City Hall building.

I think we all do - this is a building that is definitely in danger - and if the landscape architect can pull it off...

Mar 24, 14 10:07 am  · 
 · 

The Schumacher tantrum rages on, but on FB and Twitter. Definitely getting tougher to keep a discussion forum active these days - twitter seems to be the main medium.

In other news, I'm dealing once again with a batshit crazy PTA member. What is it about PTAs that makes them such fodder for gossipy catfightey personal-grudgy tropes?!?!

Mar 24, 14 10:09 am  · 
 · 

I always thought the plaza was a perfect metaphor for impenetrable bureaucracy: a vast empty plain leading up to a huge structure made up of layers of repeating elements, with no visible means of entry.

I was disappointed to see the amphitheater filled in. It was a sunken oasis in a desert, and it made the empty flat plaza even more bleak by contrast.

Mar 24, 14 10:51 am  · 
 · 

Donna, I don't do assbook or twittle, what's all the fuss about?

Mar 24, 14 10:53 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

didn't know about the schumacher rant - some of it here:

http://www.dezeen.com/2014/03/21/patrik-schumacher-rant-ted-talk-mimi-zeiger/

and here:

http://www.dezeen.com/2014/03/18/architecture-not-art-patrik-schumacher-venice-architecturebiennale-rant/

so... he's a formalist.  nothing wrong with being a formalist - but it's not either/or... there are people who work in this field who are also engaged in the "political" side of practice - it's a spectrum - most of what we do falls somewhere in between.

I can't believe he's never challenged zoning or building codes (or is critical of public policies that creates certain patterns of development)...  never pushed back at a client who wanted to do something particularly egregious...  Never attempted to position himself as a practice where clients come to him to rethink and create new programmatic typologies.  So he just takes the project brief as given to him without question?

He's speaking in absolutes - which is ideological and political - he's trying to bring people over to HIS side - as if he has all the answers.  If he was actually apolitical, he shouldn't really care what other people in the field interest themselves in - we're all just trying to make a living - some of us can do it making interesting forms, some of us can do it through influencing policy.  most of us are just trying to make everyone happy.

Mar 24, 14 11:13 am  · 
 · 

"Architecture is not art"

"architects are responsible for form, not content"

Contradict much? LOL The sales pitch continues at a fever pitch. As if Zaha has any competition, except maybe for Design, Bitches.

Mar 24, 14 11:20 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

this is his thing still, right:

architects are not political and architecture is not political.  that justifies why his office likes to work with unfavorable political leaders who sometimes displace large populations of people that have nowhere else to go.  trying to defend the people that want to live in their homes is dismissed with the monicker "politically correct."  so, if i were to disagree with displacing a large population of people, it's because i'm just a bleeding heart liberal and don't understand the non-political forces of the politicians ZHA is working with.

i believe 'architecture is not political' could also be interpreted as 'architecture is not moral.'  i agree with this.  as in the abortion clinic hypothetical that sometimes comes up, it's not the architect's place to judge the moral nature of the procedure.  it's our job to design a safe environment for that procedure to occur, if that's what we're hired to do.  if you can't do that, then don't take the project.  however, all architects are also human beings.  it is not right to say an architect should be amoral because their work is amoral.  schumacher uses his 'architecture isn't political' stuff as an excuse to personally behave in a generally sociopathic manner.

also, 'architecture is not philosophy.'  of course, then you would have to focus on the building you're designing instead of name dropping Luhmann.

i'm not his facebook friend, so i don't think i can participate.  i'm guessing some of the comments are hidden to me as well?

Mar 24, 14 11:23 am  · 
 · 

Benjamin Bratton did a good, long, inclusive response too - but it's on FB. Not sure how to access it.

Mar 24, 14 11:24 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

ok then, here is my contribution to the community.  i believe i got the conversation between mr schumacher and mr bratton isolated, and you should be able to read it here without a facebook account.  not sure though,  i guess we'll see.  i'll try to read all of it myself between actually working a bit throughout the day.  philosophers that think they're architects sure do type a lot.

http://pastebin.com/HuARHtha

Mar 24, 14 12:09 pm  · 
 · 

I'd say Bratton wins - because he called out Schumacher for simultaneously  saying that architecture CANNOT be political, therefore architects can't be held responsible for how our created forms influence society, and yet through form archiecture CAN shape society and that this intentionality of form is therefore our ultimate goal as architects.

He's trying to have his parametrically-derived cake form and eat it too.

Mar 24, 14 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

PS said in an interview related to the facebook rant and biennial that his projects or his parametricism or something like that are "misunderstood as expensive spectacles."  the idea sort of being that there is a greater depth to what he does, shifting paradigms and whatnot.  i may be one of those who misunderstands what he's doing.

is it both 'expensive' and 'spectacle' he's trying to get away from?  has ZHA ever done much for noted parametric work that isn't 'expensive?'  doesn't patrik's post-fordist neoliberal non-political viewpoint tend to support the notion that his work is 'expensive,' and thus really only accessible to the unfettered market entrepreneurs?

or is he saying parametricism is 'expensive,' but not a 'spectacle?'  looks like a spectacle to me. 

Mar 24, 14 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

It's all marketing. And maybe dome dementia. His effort at discussion here was hilariously sad.

Mar 24, 14 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

When it comes to the AIA I've made a conscious decision to be optimistic and proactive.  When it comes to my PTA, though, I'm continuing to be as cynical and misanthropic as possible.

Mar 24, 14 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Donna, you must share the gossip, now.
Mar 24, 14 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
Can't. Already been threatened with being reported to "the authorities" "for harassment". Not me as an individual, but as a member of - get this - an email chain.
Mar 24, 14 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i <3 being a misanthrope.  when you push someone's buttons to the point where they feel they have to threaten you for being involved in an email chain, the only thing you can do is keep pushing.  otherwise you're giving them all the power in the relationship.

Mar 24, 14 6:46 pm  · 
 · 

Or create a virtual alter ego, like so many do here.

Mar 24, 14 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Wow. Good luck with that one.
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Wow. Good luck with that one.
 · 
toasteroven

anyone else find it somewhat interesting that schumacher's rant is timed with an architect who specializes in disaster relief winning the pritzker?

Mar 24, 14 7:18 pm  · 
 · 

^ Nice catch. He's afraid parametrishit is over.

Mar 24, 14 7:26 pm  · 
 · 

OMG you guys look at these paintings of bridges by Laura Hamje.  I am dying of lust.  Can some Seattle archinecter go see the exhibit and let me know pricing?!?!

Mar 24, 14 8:50 pm  · 
 · 

Nice, Donna. Thanks for posting that.

Mar 24, 14 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

miles - it's not that "parametric design" is over (I actually use many of these tools for work - specifically in pattern-making and fabrication - and I am very much into formal and "figural" explorations) - it's that he has these really bizarre theories about urban planning, social interaction, and human behavior which keep getting thoroughly rebuked, and these recent outbursts just make him seem like a sociopath.

Mar 27, 14 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
-------

I'm liking this:

Jacques Gillet's Sculpture House

Mar 29, 14 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
I toured Taliesin West on Friday. Second time, or maybe third. We had a great tour guide. It's an incredible place and as much as we scoff every time our relatives give us yet-one-more FLW gift (calendar, coffee cup, tie, bottle opener...), FLW actually is probably the most important architect who ever lived.
Mar 30, 14 9:21 pm  · 
 · 

FLW understood all the fundamental elements of architecture. Not many have ever operated at that level.

Mar 30, 14 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
DMS-USA

Mr. Wright was touched by the spirit.  Never get tired of seeing his buildings. He'll always be the High Priest, to me.

I like all three kinds of architecture.... Richardsonian, Sullivanesque, and Wrightian. :-)

Mar 31, 14 3:31 am  · 
 · 

Hey TC!

@donna re: Taliesin

Have you seen Screen/Print #11 with Pallasmaa re:   inspired by stay at Taliesin West?

@jw468 that is quite sculptural. love the moss..

Mar 31, 14 7:06 pm  · 
 · 

Also @toast re:

Government Center seems like it could be a big improvement. They discuss how non visible below grade - infrastructure/connections/alignments are big part. that seems to jive with my one or two memories of navigating " labyrinthine layout" of the site.

kind of amazing to think that there is/never has been wheelchair access.

Mar 31, 14 7:12 pm  · 
 · 

one more thing I came across this Archinect job posting today. thought it was interesting that for a qualification they specify "Must be able to draw by hand, sketch", is that common req still? Or should one read it as a reactionary move of some sort?

Mar 31, 14 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

@nam - the MBTA's development arm is notoriously understaffed and underfunded, so it's pretty amazing that they managed to do something decent (although what is existing is pretty horrible) - although government center also serves city, state, and federal government buildings, so of course it's going to get more attention. .  the T doesn't exactly have the best track record when it comes to urban design, community development, and property management, though.

btw - Thayer's the only one making any sense on your gentrification news posting.

Apr 1, 14 9:25 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

passivhaus is starting to get some sense, and creating more effective guidelines to building design.

http://www2.buildinggreen.com/article/rooms-waste-space-says-feist-dissolves-passivhaus

Apr 1, 14 10:14 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I'll say - this is looking great:

• 0.0 m2 or potentially more interior space, depending on the average relative humidity at dawn on September 16 on the proposed building site
  • 0.0 kWh/m2/year energy use or possibly more, or possibly less, in keeping with the lifestyle and heritage of the cube owner’s native subculture
  • 5.0 “likes” per year for Klingenberg’s status updates on Facebook
  • ≥ 1.0 Rottweiler puppy
  • SAT math and verbal scores above the 85th percentile
  • Fresh long-stemmed roses on display at all times
  • Certification of fluency in the German mother tongue and at least two others
  • Lifetime membership at Costco (or regional equivalent)

I hope USGBC adopts a few of these - especially fluency in German.

Apr 1, 14 11:24 am  · 
 · 

@toast yeah i noticed that...

Apr 1, 14 3:33 pm  · 
 · 

What happens when the Rottweiler puppy isn't a puppy anymore? Get another?

Apr 1, 14 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

No Donna....get six then you will have a Pack...and I bet you will get a window in your office.

Apr 1, 14 7:46 pm  · 
 · 

Today is one of those days that I really, really miss being self-employed. Because then if I had to deal with any BS it was at least BS of my own making. <sigh>

Apr 3, 14 9:30 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

kinky: playing in your own bs..  (sorry just had to say it)

Apr 3, 14 10:10 am  · 
 · 
gruen
1 rot is a sweet dog. 2+rot is hunting.
Apr 3, 14 8:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: