Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Sarah Hamilton

That poor guy needs a haircut.

Apr 15, 14 11:28 am  · 
 · 

Art is a personal experience. At least it is when it's not business.

Anthropomorphism speaks to us.

Name that film.

Apr 15, 14 11:29 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

name a 1958 french film?  i doubt it.

Apr 15, 14 11:36 am  · 
 · 

@3tk Delicious!

Apr 15, 14 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

i'm sorry, but i have to say - other than the regulars - the two most awesome people on the 'Nect right now are; Mitch McEwen and Stephanie Braconnier. Hands down.

Apr 15, 14 10:25 pm  · 
 · 

@b3ta no thought re: Donatella etc...?

Apr 15, 14 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Donatella, and I think there's another, but Mitch and Steph, have me returning, a lot.

Apr 15, 14 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Which threads? I like meeting new people.
Apr 16, 14 8:30 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

this article is buried in something I linked to in the zeitgeist thread:

How Burrowing Owls Lead to Vomiting Anarchists (or San Francisco's Housing Crisis Explained)

covers a lot of stuff - including "the great inversion," performance art protests of the google buses, gentrification, etc... probably one of the better comprehensive articles I've seen on this myriad of subjects in a while.

Apr 17, 14 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
Toast that article is amazing and soooooo dense. I read about half this morning and had to take a break. Very complex issue.
Apr 17, 14 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

yeah - similar issues in other a few other cities - so there are some parallels...

another interesting article I came across recently:

How Japan Copied American Culture and Made It Better

Apr 17, 14 8:45 pm  · 
 · 

Hi TC!

@jla-x you sure it wasn't a brown recluse?

I enjoyed my Sunday relaxing not doing anything,...happy Easter!

Apr 20, 14 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Just got back from Rome. As usual, feel like a bit of a failure for not seeing enough stuff (I'm pretty lousy at researching what to see before I go) but the Pantheon was a moving experience for me.
Apr 21, 14 7:20 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i've always thought it better to not see everything, but take some time to enjoy what you do see.  at least for me, if i'm too worried about running from one thing to the next, i don't really get to experience any of it.

Apr 21, 14 9:31 am  · 
 · 

Watch out, gruen's next couple of projects will have coffered domes and an oculous.

Apr 21, 14 10:16 am  · 
 · 

We discussed it here before but it's pitiful to me that I couldn't remember if I saw the Pantheon or not.  I remember the Spanish Steps, Campidoglio (plaza paving was covered in plywood for some facade work), St. Peter's, and the overall main baths, and the sensation of the urban space being a wonderful clash of contemporary and ancient.  And I deeply remember the Colosseum in a terrible way - freaked me out. But I have no memory of the Pantheon.  It's embarrassing.

Glad you had a good experience, gruen!

Apr 21, 14 11:03 am  · 
 · 

Oh, remember a few posts back when I said I can't not feel empathy with anything with a face? In opposition to that I feel I'd have no remorse lately about hacking off the head of one of my chickens.  The damn thing won't shut up.

Apr 21, 14 11:05 am  · 
 · 

Is that a Long Island Black Widow?

Apr 21, 14 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

@jla-x EEK!

Apr 21, 14 1:18 pm  · 
 · 

Some of them fly to sunny climes for the winter. 

Glad you're here to tell the tale. 

Apr 21, 14 1:46 pm  · 
 · 

Oh, man jla-x that is really scary!  Glad you went to the doc and had it seen to.  Without getting too personal, is the treatment ice and waiting, or do they do a round of antibiotics, or is there an actual Black Widow antivenom?!?

Apr 21, 14 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

yet.  could be early for their manifestation.

Apr 21, 14 3:22 pm  · 
 · 

did you all know that ken koense had won the Nobel Prize, 1st Place?

Apr 21, 14 10:04 pm  · 
 · 

I think I heard a comedian say that since the Nobel deliberations are kept secret for 50 years you might as well tell people you were a finalist because you and they will be dead before anyone could verify whether or not you were telling the truth. 

So yeah, it's totally fact that I was nominated in the Architecture Criticism category for my use of the analogy "like putting your enemies' heads on pikes" in describing MoMA's reuse of the Folk Art Museum tombasil panels in some other iteration. You'll be able to verify that fact in 2063.

Apr 22, 14 8:14 am  · 
 · 

One guy who won the Nobel said at the award, "It's hard to be bitter at a time like this."

He had been through a nasty dicorce 9 years, 11 months and 27 days earlier that gave his ex 50% of all Nobel winnings within 10 years. 

Apr 22, 14 8:44 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

From what I hear, ken koense, total asshole. so much so, that his mother disowned him, and his cat, regularly pees in his cheerios. aside from that, i heard that he did not win the Nobel, but was definitely in the running, partially due to his Brad Pitt like eyes, and his Angelina Jolie like charm.

Apr 22, 14 10:41 am  · 
 · 

@beta, sounds about right... :p

Apr 22, 14 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

beta, are you actually ken koense?  if so, you may need a better cat.

Apr 22, 14 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

Is b3tadine[sutures]'s cat in a box? Is it alive, dead, or both?

Apr 22, 14 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

Schrödinger won the nobel prize in 1933!

Apr 22, 14 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
grneggandsam

http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/14/sf-housing/  Insteresting article on housing in SF.  Perhaps the general public's perception of zoning could be changing?  Could be HUGE potential benefits to architects, directing money flows away from banking and landlords and to productivity.

Apr 22, 14 9:40 pm  · 
 · 

It's a great article, greggandsam.

Apr 22, 14 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

no, I'm not ken koense, I'm not that cool, or handsome.

Apr 22, 14 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

talking about zoning - here are a few recent links from planetizen:

a brief history of your neighborhood: a web series on the policies that create sprawl.

and - Japan's zoning code.

Apr 23, 14 9:50 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

animal architecture

Apr 23, 14 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Can we put "starchitects" in the same dustbin, as "architorture" already? It seems so, 2002.

Apr 26, 14 8:58 am  · 
 · 

Can we put "starchitects" in the same dustbin, as "architorture" already?

I though they were one and the same.

Apr 26, 14 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
'Tis the season of bourbon, pollen, lovely beezes, brunch, and horse races, y'all.
Apr 27, 14 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
Not that bourbon is ever out of season...
Apr 27, 14 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
http://louisvillecom.tumblr.com/post/84050601979/dennys-and-theyre-off-i-hate-this-and-love
Apr 27, 14 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

steven - my money's on "wicked strong."

hey donna - have you had a chance to ride pacers bikeshare yet?

Apr 29, 14 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

why haven't I heard of san rocco before?  there's some good stuff in there.

Apr 29, 14 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

man - I haven't thought about Grassi in a while:

my biggest worry is that the young generation coming out of schools couldn't explain just why these facades are so nice - I mean, look how close those windows are to the corners...

Apr 29, 14 2:36 pm  · 
 · 

Nice images, toast.  No I haven't used the BikeShare yet, but every time I've walked past one there are bikes out and about being used! It's very cool.

I reviewed for BSU yesterday - the one project that completely blew me away was so very 1990, Douglas-Darden-like fictional spiritual collaged drawings.  And burned wood.  SO good.

Apr 29, 14 2:46 pm  · 
 · 

Hey - Donna's back - Woohoo!

Apr 29, 14 3:30 pm  · 
 · 

yeah! happy Tues all! 

love the crispness of those rows-buildings-facades

Apr 29, 14 8:35 pm  · 
 · 

Bought $25 worth of electrical parts at Home Despot today and got waaay overcharged, the shelf price of one item was more than doubled at checkout. Same thing happened to the Ms. at the megagrocery. Is this another corporate profit strategy?

Apr 29, 14 8:45 pm  · 
 · 

Please go post your snappy and humorous ACT anecdotes on my ACT bitchfest thread.

Apr 30, 14 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

"I number it among my blessings that my father had no car, while yet most of my friends had, and sometimes took me for a drive. This meant that all these distant objects could be visited just enough to clothe them with memories and not impossible desires, while yet they remained ordinarily as inaccessible as the Moon. The deadly power of rushing about wherever I pleased had not been given [to] me. I measured distances by the standard of man, man walking on his two feet, not by the standard of the internal combustion engine. I had not been allowed to deflower the very idea of distance; in returned I possessed 'infinite riches' in what would have been to motorists 'a little room.' The truest and most horrible claim made for modern transport is that it 'annihilates space.' It does. It annihilates one of the most glorious gifts we have been given. It is a vile inflation which lowers the value of distance, so that a modern boy travels a hundred miles with less sense of liberation and pilgrimage and adventures than his grandfather got from travelling ten. Of course if a man hates space and wants it to be annihilated, that is another matter. Why not creep into his coffin at once? There is little enough space there."

C.S. Lewis, Surprised by Joy, 1955.

May 1, 14 10:49 am  · 
 · 

That's lovely, toast.  I feel the same way about acoustic ceiling tiles.

May 1, 14 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: