Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

sharpie.

extra bonus points!!!

sporadic, i need to know a few things. i might mail you soon.

Apr 24, 06 7:27 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

cool .. let me know ..

Apr 24, 06 8:14 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

we are all one happy family....

Apr 24, 06 10:03 am  · 
 · 

slow morning around here.

listened to the cd i made for fro this a.m. on the way in to work. other than some lofi quality issues from old recordings (adam ant, 1979 - the treble is a little shrill) i think it sounds pretty good. i hope fro isn't an all-dub-all-the-time kinda guy, because this thing is all over the map.

Apr 24, 06 10:50 am  · 
 · 
FRO

cool Steven! Dub is for bike racing riddim and clarity, I'm usually all over the map and actually hoping for some things I've never heard of but like...

My CD mix is slow coming

Apr 24, 06 11:39 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

I'm pretty sure I was the first person from my high school to go into architecture, at least since the senior pictures all started being in color.

Apr 25, 06 11:14 am  · 
 · 

regarding a cartoon posted above;
just to let my friends here know that for me you guys don't live in computers. i refer your comments and advice and personalities in everyday life. we are conversing here because we can't be in same geographical location and we all share similar yet different experiences and a way of looking at things as architects and that is why we understand each other better.
nevermore is trying so hard to be a blacksheep.

Apr 25, 06 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
AP

that's an insult to the sheep.

Apr 25, 06 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

SuperHeavy, you may be right, I am pretty sure I am the second person to go into architecture from my high school though, the other is a guy that is my dad's age (65), and he didn't go into architecture until like his 40's and lives in Europe now.
Not that there weren't aspriations, in my class of about 60 there was me and another guy who wanted to be architects. Last I knew, that guy knocked up a girl right after graduation, never made it to college, and now is trying to get into the WWF.

Ahh, small town midwest...

Apr 25, 06 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
AP

my graduating class included 700+, and the school as a whole had around 4500 the year I graduated. it has split into 2 schools, and the original is still bigger than it was when i graduated.

must be another architecture student in there somewhere...none that I know of though...my best friend from back then, however, had a kid during high school, another shortly thereafter, and is happily married to the mother of his daughters...currently working as a construction supervisor, making twice as much as I do.

Apr 25, 06 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
AP

(suburban Florida)

Apr 25, 06 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Yeah, I was thinking about how interesting it must have been for those girls to talk to WonderK. When I was in HS, not a single person ever mentioned architecture. This was back in Orange County, and my HS was built the year before I started attending; so although it was large, it was extremely "NEW!" like everything else around there. I guess it's a testimony to the Orange County culture that literally I knew not a single architect, had never heard of one or met one, knew nothing about what they did other than "design buildings", and had no one to ask about them. One day at a stoplight it dawned on me like a revelation that I should be an architect. I was 17 and i literally remember thinking, "holy shit, that is PERFECT" and I've never regretted it. It really IS perfect--but I have no idea how that even occured to me out of the blue. Anyway, when I went to talk to my advisors--there were 7 total, and I tried every one--not a SINGLE ONE of them had EVER encountered someone who wanted to go to college for architecture. Not one. Some of those advisors had been working in the same district for 20 years. They literally said, "we have no clue what schools would be good for that, nor do we know anyone you can talk to. I would suggest you call the architecture asssociation and ask them?" It was absurd. I ended up like, trying to research schools out of those stupid rankings books. I essentially picked via geography, and knew very little more. I don't even remember how I managed to discover the difference betwen a B.Arch and a B.A., but that's about all I knew. I finally visited CalPoly and knew it wasn't for me. When I arrived on campus at CMU 4 days before classes started, it was my first time setting foot in the entire state of Pennsylvania--let alone Pittsburgh, or visiting the college ahead of time. Ridiculous. It's a minor miracle that it worked out and I really enjoyed my time there.

Anyhow, so, yeah, no one from my high school until that point had expressed an interest in architecture. I think there has been one or two others since then, however.

Just a story for the afternoon while I sit between contractor meetings...

Apr 25, 06 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

out of high school i was set on doing math/econ and doing econometrics and working for the fed or some big bank. was imagining a nice apartment or condo in new york city and taking the subway to work in a suit and really just knowing what was going on.

had everything on track to go and decided to take an art history class my second semester freshman year. and EVERYTHING changed.

Apr 25, 06 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

before i ever went to college, i read an article in esquire mag about the most worthless degrees and art history was numero uno on the list. of course, that was my major!!! where's the bong donatello?

Apr 25, 06 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

myriam, I didn't know you went to CMU. I'll have to chat with you about that.

I know I wasn't the first from my high school that went into arch. because a girl a year ahead of me did as well....I didn't find this out, however, until I ran into her at DAAP! Small world, but I entered the program at UC the same year that Petey's building opened so it was hard NOT to notice architecture in Cincy at that time.

I had my head in the clouds for the majority of my young life. It was a small miracle that I figured out what I wanted to do, had an advisor familiar with UC's program (and a UC alum) who recommended DAAP, and did all of this in time to actually get in. I went back because it's a good high school and I wanted the girls to have the opportunity, however small, to ask questions.

Of course this goes along with my constant desire to expose people to new things, one of the reasons I'd like to teach.....figuring that bit out was another small miracle, too.

Apr 25, 06 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Good morning, sporadic. Coffee yet?

Apr 26, 06 12:50 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

lol. ....

i was just coming in to say that it was past your bedtime ..

good morning .. indeed .. not cofee .. croissant, bacon rolls and orange juice
courtesy.. the contractor .. I have to do some snagging today .. I love it when they try to bribe .. hahah

Apr 26, 06 1:04 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

orange juice was too bitter ... result ? .. "C" status !!

Apr 26, 06 1:05 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yes it's way past my bedtime but I'm so....so....close to getting these drawings (finally) done.....

Actually a bit of OJ might perk me up - thanks for the idea!

Apr 26, 06 1:06 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

anytime ...

I love it that you're always on the edge of getting things done. haha ..
I guess your print shop must be on high alert tonight ? ..

Apr 26, 06 1:10 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

oh well .. I gotta go now ...

I'll probably catch up tommorow .. or if you're still up by the time I get back ... :)

Apr 26, 06 1:11 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

for strawbeary's high school...
i come from down the valley
where mister when u re young
they bring u up to do
just what your daddy done
me marry we met in high school
when she was just seventeen
we'd ride out of this valley
to where the something something
we'd go down to the river
and into the river we'd dive
down to the river
then i got mary pregnant
and mister that was all she wrote
and for my nineteenth birthday
i got a union card a wedding coat
we went down to the courthouse
and the judge he put it all to rest
no walk down the aisles
no wedding day smiles
no flowers no wedding dress....

Apr 26, 06 7:01 am  · 
 · 

i had lunch yesterday with a kid who wanted advice about getting into architecture. he's been in tech school 'architectural drafting' for two years, owns a house, and is interning in an engineering office.

i had to tell him (more gracefully than this) that he was on a collision course with a very narrow range of choices and that he needed to find a way to go to architecture school SOON if he was serious about it. he seemed surprised.

Apr 26, 06 7:27 am  · 
 · 

we had a fellow come to my high school to talk about architecture. all i remember was the name of his firm and the fact that he was such an awfully nasty person that i decided to never be an architect...

luckily i forgot about him when it came time, but his firm i later learned was a big commercial office with a good reputation for not trying to do design...;-)

Apr 26, 06 8:18 am  · 
 · 

wish someone like wonder k had come to give the lecture instead. probs woulda changedmy life...

Apr 26, 06 8:19 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

good morning liberty... managed to finsh of the drawings ?

Apr 26, 06 9:05 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Is it the end of the day for you sporadic? Did you get more free food?

I got the drawings done but not sent to the printer as there is one open question. So, hopeully I'll hear back from the client today.

Up til 2, I'm fried.

Apr 26, 06 9:11 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

yep .. I'll be off in around half an hour or so ...( isn't it funny how we connect through time zones .. lol ..)

well they did offer me some lunch .. but looked too heavy, so I passed .. and today has been blisterring hot and a crazy sandstorm too ... really dehydrated me ... was drinking lots and lots of hydration drinks !!

in any case ... 4 "B" status and 1 "C" status was the work for the day .. not bad actually ...
the bad part is the shower broke down in my office, so I had to use the contractor's shower area ... (kinda like entering the enemy camp !!.. )

ok .. my ride's here .. see ya guys tommorow morning/late night/mid afternoon ....

Apr 26, 06 9:26 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

yep .. I'll be off in around half an hour or so ...( isn't it funny how we connect through time zones .. lol ..)

well they did offer me some lunch .. but looked too heavy, so I passed .. and today has been blisterring hot and a crazy sandstorm too ... really dehydrated me ... was drinking lots and lots of hydration drinks !!

in any case ... 4 "B" status and 1 "C" status was the work for the day .. not bad actually ...
the bad part is the shower broke down in my office, so I had to use the contractor's shower area ... (kinda like entering the enemy camp !!.. )

ok .. my ride's here .. see ya guys tommorow morning/late night/mid afternoon ....

Apr 26, 06 9:26 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I wish we could all tag along with each other on some of these days. I'd give anything to stop working for a month (or 6), and go help lb out with her stuff, or hang out with jump in Japan, or visit sporadic in the desert and drink OJ with contractors.

Today I was in Minneapolis and caught a glimpse, however brief, of this lovely place. Yesterday I was in Philly. Tomorrow, back to Cincy. Next month, who knows.....always an adventure. At least my job is good for one thing...

Apr 27, 06 12:45 am  · 
 · 

let me know if you ever decide to visit japan , wonder K. i've been trying to leave for the last 10 years or so but never seems to work out...so I'll probably still be here if you get the urge to take a holiday.

sporadic, man i just saw a show on japanese tele, sort of a funny version of lifestyles o the rich and famous...anyhoo they followed a japanese super rich dude to dubai and visited him in the suite he rents on top of that big sail building when he visits the country to race his horse. the place is insane!

they continued on a tour with the super rich of dubai and did the voyeur thing with the horse racing and skiing and dune-driving. my god. luxury beyond imagination. was shocking really.

you used to all that, or is it an exclusive thing that most people don really see?

Apr 27, 06 2:59 am  · 
 · 

lb-
this, from the events calendar, looks like it was made for your husband.

congrats lara davis.

Apr 27, 06 7:11 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Anytime WonderK (or anyone else, for that matter)... Just let me know ..

Jump,
the Hotel your referring to is The Burj-al-Arab supposed to be the best hotel in the world ... you might has seen Advts. of tiger woods playing golf and Agassi and Federer playing tennis on top of it's heli-pad.. quite spectacular to look at.. however its interiors is (urrgghhh ... :P ) Gaudy !!! ...there's a story that initially the interiors was designed to be monochromatic in Black and white .. but once, Sheikh Mohamed ( ruler of Dubai) paid a visit... he didn’t like what he saw.. so it was decided that they would have the gaudiest of interiors possible. see there's a concept here for interiors .. more gold, red/velvet upholstery and intricate flower detailing = good interiors. .. oh well!! you don’t wanna argue with the Sheikh ....
the hotel is unbelievably expensive !!! if you're not a guest ( or a respectable looking Caucasian) you gotta pay a cover charge to enter. but I hear that the hotel staffs are frightfully underpaid !!

well about the skiing and dune-driving ... it's quite normal .. everyone does it .. but horse racing is a another ball game altogether .. that’s for the super-super-rich. ( probably the kinds who can afford to stay on the top floor of burj al arab) the Maktoums ( ruling family of Dubai) have the most exclusive and biggest stables in the world.. they have the best horses in the world!! .. all pure blooded Arabian horses and Stallions. in fact they have a separate Palace, where they keep the horses.. ( I think its called Zabeel palace) They are very serious about their horses.. in fact Sheikh Mohamed ( ruler of Dubai) is a World champion in some kind of horse racing/show jumping (?)

Now here's the scary part ... they are not the richest people in the UAE.. the richer ones are their neighboring emirate (state) Abudhabi ( which is also the capital of UAE) Abudhabi had almost 10% of the worlds oil reserves and a substantial amount natural gas too ... on an average day they pump out XX million barrels of oil .. and estimates are that they have enough oil to last them 150 years !!!

Recently Abudhabi made another hotel which is touted as the worlds most luxurious and expensive hotel .. "Emirates Palace Hotel" (check out the photo gallery ). it's quite a sight and all the state guests stay here. I have driven by this hotel once in a while (usually a very long drive) and (trust me when I say this) there would be a minimum of 20,000 bulbs lighting up just the lawn !!! ( yes - it IS a big lawn) it's like an ocean light. I've heard stories of how the cutlery and the plates inside has (pure)gold engravings on them. Of course the interiors are equally Gaudy !!

Anyway, sorry about rambling on .. its just that once you start.. it's hard to hold back ... the luxury that's available here ( if you have the money) is unbelievable .. ( I could get used to it :) ) but these Rulers are the good ones, coz they're spending most of their oil money into developing the country unlike other selfish Arab nations (Saudi Arabia, Kuwait etc .. etc.) who keep most of the money to themselves. However, their taste leaves a lot to be desired ..

Remember... (as I always say): "Taste is inversely proportional to wealth!!"

Apr 27, 06 7:21 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

and yeah .. good un, Lara ...

Apr 27, 06 7:23 am  · 
 · 

wow. from the pictures i'd be tempted to use a word i've learned from other archinectors: 'craptastic'.

but these places also look similar to some of the places my wife and i visited in morocco. and i remember that being there, in the presence of all of what looks so gaudy in pictures, made a strange kind of sense in its context.

a friend of mine has been traveling to dubai a lot lately for her work. she's traveling all over the world these days. just this week my <1yr old daughter has worn clothes that were brought back for her from new zealand, uae, portugal, japan, and uk! she slobbers on all clothes equally.

Apr 27, 06 7:35 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

lol .. steven ,

the cloths from UAE are probably from an export house in South India...

btw.. your friend.. she's an architect ?

Apr 27, 06 7:51 am  · 
 · 

yep. works the international side of things for 'yum! brands', which is based here in louisville: kentucky fried chicken, taco bell, pizza hut...

Apr 27, 06 8:24 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

aahhaa ..

so she must be responsible for pizza hut's new look ...( they recently revamped their image/interiors )

Apr 27, 06 8:37 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

.. Ahem .. Ahem .. ..Thank you ...

Apr 27, 06 8:38 am  · 
 · 

ss, yeah that's the one. they were playing a kind of six degrees of sepration with the rich people in dubai, and the japanese dude was one of a dozen or so horse owners envited to race his horse. he won a few years back but no luck this time.

i didn't mind the gold all over the place. seemed to make some kind of sense in the craziness of it all. more than that i was blown away that this little smiling japanese guy was wealthy enough to rent the penthouse, and have the "collection of world class race horses" as a hobby. he looked too nice to be as ruthless (or SHREWD, if you prefer) as he must be to be THAT rich. goes to show, can't trust a book by its cover.

the bad taste must overwhelm after awhile though...no?

Apr 27, 06 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Thanks, Steven I forwarded it to Brian. Very funny. One of his students back in Philly proposed an "Art Star" race for his thesis - sent invitations to a couple dozen super-hot NY and LA artists, built a track in the gallery, then posted the few responses he reeived back. Dave Hickey responded, I remember, he's so cool.

Another student hotrodded crabs for a crab race (the beach kind, not the other kind).

Apr 27, 06 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
http://www.secca.org/dust/EMD400/01.jpg
http://www.secca.org/dust/EMD400/14.jpg
http://www.secca.org/dust/EMD400/10.jpg
http://www.secca.org/dust/EMD400/11.jpg
Apr 28, 06 7:09 am  · 
 · 

crap

Apr 28, 06 7:11 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm still alive...even as i type this

Apr 28, 06 11:37 am  · 
 · 

copied.
another week with even less money made...
to all with regular paychecks; bless your good credit.

glen small is coming to my office today. he wants me to write on his nicaragua projects. i told him i really don't know about those but i'd be willing to do so if i could be flown to managua and see them in action. he said, if his client gets elected as president, he'll get me there and i'd be the perfect person to the story with my lefty leanings. herty lewites is running ahead at the polls.

Apr 28, 06 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

just knowing that orhan cares...makes my day :)

best of luck with nicaragua

Apr 28, 06 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

pink pearl thats a nickname for somethin....

Apr 29, 06 9:41 am  · 
 · 

hey vado. i was wondrin' where you were. 100+ fever sounds bad. glad you're back.

Apr 29, 06 10:17 am  · 
 · 

also still alive.

Apr 29, 06 11:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: