Looks like they also sell nuts.

Apr 18, 06 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

200!

Apr 19, 06 2:59 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

pretty cheap for brains ... i'll have 2 dollars worth please ..

yeah and they DO-NUTS !!

Apr 19, 06 3:19 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

care for some "child beer"? ... i mean .. chilled beer ?

Apr 19, 06 3:24 am  · 
 · 

news section is getting great news postings.

Apr 19, 06 11:37 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm building a model today, out of foamcore, using an exacto and Sobo, how anachronistic!

I'm comfortable charging the foamcore to the client as a reimbursable expense, but what about the exacto? I had to buy a new one as I can't find my old one, but I will keep this one and use it later on other jobs, so do I charge it through or just consider it standard office supplies?!?

Also, can I bitch that the Indy AIA is possibly the most inept organization I've ever seen when it comes to publicity mailings? Last fall they sent me a postcard, colored, with a photograph, describing a Women in Architecture event that was on the same date as some other big AIA event. When I called to confirm that I wanted to attend, no one had heard anything about the Women in Arch event and I had to fax a photocopy of the card to the AIA, well they still had no idea. It seems evil AIA elves had secretly published a card and mailed it out. Today I called to confirm attendance at an event in May and this time the postcard had a number to call the AIA office to confirm attendance - and the phone number was printed wrong! AIA Elves, again. Maybe I should join the Evil AIA Elves (E-AIA-E), they seem more fun.

That's my exciting day.

Apr 19, 06 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
AP
translation

?

via

Apr 19, 06 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
AP

bill the x-acto expense per blade used. ;)

ya, the news section is jumpin today....some good stuff too...

Apr 19, 06 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
job job

hi Abra,

just re-read the post.... unclear sentence structure and blood-sugar imbalance will explain the haze of that one. simply, I am using jatoba (wood from brazil - really dense, really nice) on one project that I detailed with my carpenter, and an unusual track system for openable panels on another project.
I am not powerful enough to command vast legions but try to have one or two nice features in every job.

snowi

Apr 19, 06 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I've got jello on my mind today

Apr 19, 06 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

is that really jello? if so, that's the coolest jello i've ever seen.

Apr 19, 06 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Speaking of elves, another thread just got deleted. Granted it was like the 3rd thread about "the Bachelor" but I honestly didn't think anyone cared that much.

OK, so Friday I am going back to my old high school (an all-girls catholic college prep school) for "Career Day", to represent the profession of architecture. It's a scenario straight out of some cheesy teen movie. I've decided that this merits looking good so I'm going shopping tonight, I think I'd like to get a suit a la "Jackie Brown". Also I'm hoping to confuse my coworkers on "casual Friday".

I'm trying to decide what to bring. Should I only have pictures, or should I take a model and some CDs to really freak them out? Goal is to look way cooler than all the other professions, obviously.

Apr 19, 06 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

so getting back to city of lakewood saga. today i went to the city to resubmit revised roof (actually i worked a really sweet reversed gambrel roof), but was treated as an illegal alien. and i just sent this letter to mayor...

Orhan Ayyuce, architect
2621 Pico Blvd. Unit F
Santa Monica, Ca 90405

To:
City of Lakewood
Mayor and City Council Members and Planning Dept., Charles K Ebner, AICP
5050 Clark Ave.
Lakewood, Ca 90712

Ladies and Gentelmen,

I am a licensed architect in State of California and my license # is C- 30390. I am writing this letter to reflect upon my recent experience with City of Lakewood Planning Department counter.
I am hired by Jim Beaumont, a City of Lakewood resident, to design an addition to his house on 3527 Sandwood Street DRB case # 6756.
After my submittal to Lakewood DRB, my plans were approved on several conditions and I’ve resubmitted them today and at one point we’ll work them through the approval process. Someday my clients will be done with their +, - 600 sq. ft. addition and be living their happy lives.
However, I am not able to say my interaction with the planning desk at the City was an informative and helpful one in addition to being rather discriminatory. I attribute this perhaps the unprofessional and inexperienced manner I was dealt by one of your Jr. Planners.
When I asked for a particular city ordinance in writing or be directed to a city specific information perhaps in your zoning information about city’s policy on hipped roofs (a major rejection point of my submittal), I was treated as a nuisance and when I addressed my credentials as a licensed professional, I was answered “really?” in a demeaning way. As you might know, title of a California Licensed Architect is a fairly difficult to obtain after years of schooling and vigorous tests and requirements by the national and state boards. And, the City of Lakewood should value their questions, request for information and projects. And before all that, they should value the requests of ordinary citizens like me at the foremost.
I was not given an answer to my questions about city specific policies or even a handout rule or regulation or a guideline that would direct me to a comprehensible design solution. I was dismissed by the counter person and my requests to consult with a perhaps more experienced city planner were rejected.
I know cities must back up their planning and zoning requests with written rules, codes and policies.
So, why my request for this information was rejected flatly and in a humiliating manner is the reason I am writing this letter.
I am certain the responsible and honorable members of City of Lakewood will take my letter seriously and will do their best to improve the matters stated above.

Sincerely,
Orhan Ayyuce

Apr 19, 06 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
e

orhan, i'm sorry to hear about this. ignorance is everywhere.

Apr 19, 06 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
aml

hate to be that person, but i'm pretty sure it's gentlemen.

*ducks*

Apr 19, 06 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

That is an excellently worded letter, very admirable and honest and polite. I hope it ends well for you!

p.s. would you rather be called abra or orhan?

Apr 19, 06 5:19 pm  · 
 · 

From the Floor Plan Thread:

"This myriam girl is a hater"

Apr 19, 06 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
aml

[i agree it's a good letter]

by the way, annoying person here, as myriam and orhan have already noted

and all is explained in her bio, which leads to
this

Apr 19, 06 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
aml

oops, pixel beat me to it.

Apr 19, 06 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
Elimelech

There are some characters on this website that are unbelievable, sheri is too spoiled bratty to be for real. Then again I know at least a few people I went to school with she reminds me of....

Apr 19, 06 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

AM I hater, Pixel???

I don't know whether to be ashamed or flattered!

Apr 19, 06 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

my personal theory is that she's the creation of a real archinector who just wants to fuck with us.

i can't complain as she has been the first thing to put a smile on my face today.

Apr 19, 06 5:48 pm  · 
 · 

you're not a hater, but you are "bitter"...

Apr 19, 06 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

user profile : updated.

Apr 19, 06 6:11 pm  · 
 · 

All I can say is 'bravo' to Professor Niles for not just giving this hack the plans and doing all her work for her. Is this for some sort of high school AP thesis? Cause that girl does not sound like she's been in a single architecture class before.

Apr 19, 06 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
e

indeed.

Apr 19, 06 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

that occured to me in some other thread she popped up in (i think her first); wish i could remember which one... it was about some equally totally retarded question which made you wonder which school she went to so that you could blacklist it forever and/or petition for it to lose accreditation.

sometimes i can't believe they allow people like that to represent our profession to the public.

Apr 19, 06 6:25 pm  · 
 · 

If she's real, I agree completely. Though your theory of her being a creation of another archinector, to mock those who seem to be asking us to do their projects for them, is gaining credibility with every word of hers I read.

Apr 19, 06 6:27 pm  · 
 · 

wait! I just realized that she lists her location as BRENTWOOD! fUCLA! Brilliant. More reasons to hate Bruins.

Apr 19, 06 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

ha ha, that does explain a lot, but don't be a hater, rational

Apr 19, 06 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

im a lover not a hater...

but everyone and everything could use a little more cowbell...

Apr 19, 06 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
e
Apr 19, 06 7:22 pm  · 
 · 

maybe you just don't understand myriam. I'm SUPPOSED to hate Bruins. It's one of the biggest rivalries there it. Imagine my amazement/disappointment when I started posting here and heard everyone raving about UCLA's M.Arch program.

Apr 19, 06 7:26 pm  · 
 · 

Grrrr. "It's one of the biggest rivalries there iS."

Apr 19, 06 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

just to create an objective profile:

sheri also says she "hate[s] CAD and I just dont get it, isnt there anything out there that is easier to work with?"

wants to know to "incorporate Mies... in a boutique hotel"

sounds to me like she's enrolled in the UCLA extension interior architecture program (i know a few in it and it seems in line w/ their curriculum) (it's a non-degree program).

Apr 19, 06 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Apr 19, 06 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i will now start a cowbell thread...

Apr 19, 06 7:32 pm  · 
 · 

ACFA- that makes a lot of sense, considering that most architecture programs wouldn't want you doing a remodel for your thesis.

Oh no! Not the cheerleaders again!

Apr 19, 06 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
e

vado, that one was just for you.

Apr 19, 06 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

ha ha rational i'm from southern california i knew waht you were about... c'mon, don't be a hater like me! we all need to learn from sheri here!

;)

...it was a joke.

Apr 19, 06 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i really feel that images of honest to goodness american heros, like cheerleaders, really give some positive vibes to this site. i mean come on you gotta admit there's been some hating going on here lately. and you know who you are haters. and i just think some cheering would make this an all around happier place. that and some more cowbell...

Apr 19, 06 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i know the "thesis" project for the program is usuall a remodel of a building. she noted she couldn't change structure which leads me to believe it's the interiors program.

Apr 19, 06 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
e

our country's head cheerleader

Apr 19, 06 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

i wonder why she never just says that so we know how best to help... similar to her comments in the autocad thread, when she seemed to simply assume that everyone must know her intimately or something

"you don't get it, i have to do such and such!"

...ok, well why don't you just say that?

ARGH.

Apr 19, 06 7:59 pm  · 
 · 

Well, I now have a bit more respect for a girl at my office that came out of an 'Interior Architecture' (WTF IS that, anyway?) program (albeit not at UCLA). I've been getting really annoyed when I've had to give her redlines and she's not done so well at them, but I will try to have patience, thinking about how bad I now know it could be.

Apr 19, 06 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

myriam I haven't read the "floorplans" thread yet (although I just showed up and I'm stunned to see that it has 86 responses! Must be a serious fight over there!) but I can honestly say you are not a hater, you tell it like it is with a lot more naked honesty than most people are brave enough to.

WonderK, honey, go shop. And definitely bring a model, they'll think you are so cool.

Apr 19, 06 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh and of course WonderK walk in with the Architect's Ultimate Identifying Accessory, a roll of drawings. Show them or not, doesn't matter, as long as you have the roll in your hand.

Orhan, good for you writing that letter instead of just shrugging it off with a "can't fight city hall" attitude. Letters like that - and their opposite, the ones praising people who go above and beyond giving good service - really do make a difference.

Apr 19, 06 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

...and vado's back to the cheerleaders....well, I have to say I prefer them to the cowbell cowgirl

Apr 19, 06 9:38 pm  · 
 · 

myriam, thanks for the feed back on the letter i wrote to lakewood. lakewood motto is "sports town". i now wonder if that letter is going to be distrubuted as addressed, or the sports are going to throw it into the trash? they acknowledged the receipt of the e-letter only. i'd love it if they respond. if they burn me in lakewood planning dept. hell i will appeal it to city council. or they'll get the picture and approve without further delays.

you can call me 'harry' (rip, my father in law's name, god bless his soul, great guy,tina's dad).;).

Apr 19, 06 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i posted the cowgirl so y'all could post the cowbell pics. sweet sweet connie was doin her act, she had the whole show and thats a natural fact!

Apr 19, 06 9:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: