Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Sarah Hamilton

What! Snow! Its October! Where are you?

Oct 17, 07 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Hell, we just got done with summer. I'd like to enjoy autumn for a while.

<rant>

I'm so fucking sick of AutoCAD drafting. I feel like a solid third of each day of my life for the past decade has been spent drawing multi-colored lines against a black background. It's what I see when I dream at night.

Nothing against the program itself; I know it inside and out and I can easily make it do anything I want it to do. I'm just bored to tears using it.

Maybe I should have gotten a job at firm that uses a different program on a different platform... Then maybe I'd be forced to learn something new.

</rant>

Oct 17, 07 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Well, you could always change your background to some other colour than black.

And I agree about enjoying 'fall' - we don't really have one, but I pretend.

I was buying halloween candy the other night, and Christmas music was already playing over the store speaker! I turned, and sure enough, there were lights and blow-up snow globes twinkling and whirling about just 50' from the goblins and ghouls. What happened to thanksgiving? I will tell you. You can't market tons of disposable crap for Thanksgiving, its all about food and family, no silly costumes, no drunkin parties, no gifts, lights, or ornaments. No money in saying Thank You.

Oct 17, 07 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Somehow I think my problems lie much deeper than AutoCAD's default background color.

Oct 17, 07 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Yeah, probably, but it could be fun to mess with your co-workers - that is if they ever see your screen.

Oct 17, 07 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

i hate xmas- too many trees get sacrificed to the pagan gods.

Oct 17, 07 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

what about the inflatable yard turkeys with pilgrim hats, sarah?!

Oct 17, 07 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I just got a report from the higher ups. I am 97% billable so far this year. Can't decide if I should be proud or embarrassed...

Oct 17, 07 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Thankfully, Steven, I haven't seen one of those. Are you sure its not just a Kentucky thing?

Oct 17, 07 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

Didn't mean for my winter excitement to imply any kind of anti-autumn sentiments. I love autumn, but up in the Colorado mountains it doesn't last very long, late August and usually most of September. Sometimes a little October.

Winter goes from around now until late April or early May, so if you're not excited for it, it might kill you! I've had my season pass for a month, tuned my board, dug out my gear..... just need a new helmet and a pile of extra hours at work to make up for powder mornings!

Oct 17, 07 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

You know, I thought I would like snow. I lived in Ohio when til I was 10 and loved it. And when I went to school in Philly, I thought Woohoo! Snow!

Yeah, not so much. Its always wet, and salt stains my pants. I like it much better the way it snows here. Snows over night, is there for one day, and melted by the next. Though in Dallas, we mostly just get ice, and really stupid people crowd the roads.

Oct 17, 07 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

snow in Colorado is really dry though.

Oct 17, 07 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

97 percent billable? you must charge your clients for pee breaks.

Oct 17, 07 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

vado - you remember when I posted about when we got lectured for "charging" clients for bathroom breaks? I don't work there anymore, so I charge 'em!

Actually, I don't pee.

Oct 17, 07 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Starbear - Strawbeary?
Name change why/when?
d

Oct 17, 07 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

I was wondering who would name themselves after one of the carebears.

Oct 17, 07 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

strawbeary is dead. meet close cousin starbear.

Oct 17, 07 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

sarah-
you've dropped a few hints of time in philly... where did you go to school?

Hi starbear!

Oct 17, 07 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

my billable percentage was 86 percent which is higher than the goal.

Oct 17, 07 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

and i pee a lot!

Oct 17, 07 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

We have this wierd thing in New England where people hang plastic
colored easter eggs from trees.....I have yet to get the point of this pagan tradition.

Oct 17, 07 10:03 pm  · 
 · 

i want an autumn... like sarah, we don't have seasons in florida... we just have hot... the forecasted high for today is 87 with nearly 80% humidity... ugh... i hate florida and can't wait to get out...

at least i'll get to enjoy some 50's and 60's in chi-town this weekend...

Oct 18, 07 8:29 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

TK, I went to Philadelphia University. Really I learned a lot there, both about architecture and myself, and have discovered that even though I paid high-dollar for my education, I definately got what I paid for compared to many of the people I work with. They have no understanding of place, or purpose when it comes to architecture, they just build. Heart wrenching, really.

And Snooker, do they do this egg-hanging during Easter, or during the fall?

Oct 18, 07 8:32 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

its 85 in indianastan today!

Oct 18, 07 9:46 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

Sarah- i got a tour of the textile lab at Phila-U for one of my studios at Penn. They are doing some great stuff- definitely an under appreciated program...

btw-

OCTOBER 29th!

Oct 18, 07 10:17 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

tk, what happens on October 29th?

Someone just left an anonymous post on my blog stating the following:

"Jeez WonderK, you're really slacking on entries this month, esp. compared with July. We need more!"

How funny. I had no idea anyone actually read it enough to need more. I actually do have a new post planned but I wanted the Solar Decathalon to get lots of exposure. But I *am* busy, too. So amazing, this internet personality business.....

Oct 18, 07 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Wow, you have screaming fans! Hows that make you feel, WonderK?

Oct 18, 07 11:18 am  · 
 · 

1. carebear stare starbear...I was having issues trying to figure out who changed their name. I could sense the familiarity with the way/what you spoke about but couldn't put my finger on it. Nice to see its you.

2. WonderK, you have many screaming fans. A friend who saw the link from my site visits fairly often. She had a similar blog but focussed on green energy building techniques (serious niche) but her impending nupitals became competing with her blog time so she axed it. So she drops in on yours every now and then to fill that blogatude.

3. Treekiller regards to your "pagan gods" comment - I'm with you. But I was asked once if it were better to keep cutting down fir trees at Christmas each year or making plastic trees...hmmm tough one. My heart goes with the latter because after time you'd need less and less plastic trees. On a side note - I've only had a real tree once, despite they had them growing naturally in the forests/jungle wild life above where I grew up, yet we never thought about it.

4. no snow here...nor rain, actually its a beautiful day just enough cloud cover to cool down the place, and the sea (seen from my window) looks nice and calm.

Oct 18, 07 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

That is a good question, techno. But seeing the tree farms, I think it may be better to harvest trees for Christmas, than use the palstic one. If we all switched to plastic, the tree farms would be sold off to developers and become asphalt suburbs and heat sinks. At least this way we have acres of green space to clean the air.

I do prefer the plastic tree myself, though.

Oct 18, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

something wonderful happens on october 29th...

Oct 18, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

what's that tk? Is it Halloween? I don't know when that is anymore - how sad.

Oct 18, 07 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I am glad to hear that complete strangers can actually get something out of my blog. When I started it, I certainly had in mind all of my family and friends that were interested in what I was doing out here, but I wanted to evolve to have a broader tone and encompass the things I am passionate about. So, baby steps.

tk, I think I know what you're excited about!

techno, Halloween is October 31. For me, the festivities begin on November 2nd....

Oct 18, 07 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

just some personal stuff. can't say more until then.

Oct 18, 07 3:52 pm  · 
 · 

book release???

treekilla, it looks like arjun could use some help over on the mit blog... he has some hydrology questions that i bet you could shed some light on...

Oct 18, 07 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

the book release would be nice, but this is something else... the speculation is great, keep it up. Brownie points for whoever guesses correctly!

Oct 18, 07 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

closing on a house???

i know it can't possibly be a baby, you would have mentioned that by now, and i think you're like beta and don't want one, if i remember correctly.

and if it's not the book...

hmm. licensure? no, you wouldn't know when that was arriving, ahead of time.

Oct 18, 07 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

for you speculators

OCT29TH

Oct 18, 07 8:01 pm  · 
 · 

I finally got my police report - and it contained about 1% of the information taken from my 3 reports given - wtf? Sigh, at least I have it and am one step closer to getting a new passport/visa. I really to do some travelling - the waters/walls are crowding up on me.

Oct 18, 07 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Sarah: Fall is Spider webs made out of some wierd poly product....
Easter Eggs ...before Easter....and damn it still is a strange site to me after being here for nearly 20 years.

Oct 18, 07 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

this post serves no particular purpose, other than the fact that I didn't know this thread existed before and I'm excited about posting on a thread that has 153 pages of comments on it

Oct 19, 07 12:39 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i know what the 29th is. It's the launch date of the NEW Archinect.

Oct 19, 07 7:10 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Oct 19, 07 7:11 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm still alive

Oct 19, 07 8:56 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I'm quitting my job today!! Yeah!

Oct 19, 07 9:06 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

afka- don't you have some weird glyph or rune to use as your new name? something shaped like a red fruit with seeds on the outside? gooodluck with the new whatever you're doing

Oct 19, 07 9:41 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

bear(y)/afka>

How did you do that so fast?!? Congrats! I think you'll be better off, from the sound of it.....

How's everyone doing today?

Oct 19, 07 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Our cheapskate client is wanting us to butcher a nice landmark building (albeit currently a rundown diamond in the rough) because he doesn't want to spend the money to renovate it the proper way.

Meanwhile, I'm temporarily sitting at a cramped desk in a dim corridor space next to the copier because we're in the middle of moving people around in the office. Supposedly I'll get a real workstation again, but it's been pushed back by another week.

Gray and rainy outside... I wish I was back in bed.

Oct 19, 07 3:48 pm  · 
 · 

I'm great WonderK...I've been drawing like a architect awakened

Oct 19, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i recommend this thread...becauase someone named vado retro called me the "most smartest archinector"

that is a good thing, right?

Oct 19, 07 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Hello everyone-
I just got done with two crazy busy weeks of surveying. I'm so gladf to be done. My feet are too. They're past the point of aching and are now just numb. Right now I'm sitting in Charleston WV airport, waiting for my flight and getting caught up with about two weeks of posts on the thread. Congrats on giving your two weeks.
Atechno - this goes back a few posts but I empathize greatly that someone else is taking the credit for your color schemes. Anyway, I better pack up the computer in order to board. Yippee!!!! I get to sleep in my own bed tonight. What a concept ;-)

Oct 19, 07 5:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: