Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

liberty bell

It's not even 7 minutes, Steven - you know I can rattle on about concrete alone for at least that long!

Jan 29, 08 7:50 am  · 
 · 

for me, the shorter i have to be, the longer preparation i need. of course i'd be starting with 200 slides and then start editing from there...

Jan 29, 08 7:54 am  · 
 · 

my daughter showing you her 'band-aid':

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/2227712191_211dc712d9.jpg?v=0 width=418[img]

Jan 29, 08 8:02 am  · 
 · 
Jan 29, 08 8:03 am  · 
 · 
****melt

What an adorable photo, SW. You're going to have to beat the boys off with a stick when she grows up, you know.

Did anyone catch the State of the Union last night? I only watched the last 10-15 minutes or so. Nancy Pelosi was sitting behind W reading her program pretty much the the whole time. Made me chuckle.

I heart the Talking Heads. That video just made me smile.

Jan 29, 08 8:13 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Hey guys, I'm searching the forums like crazy, but does anyone know off the top of their head if there has ever been a thread that deals with the issue of:
how to bring a new job into the office? as in, if you're just a PA or PM, but you bring in a new client... what are the particulars... what kind of deal do you look for, what difficulties should you anticipate, etc.

Jan 29, 08 8:47 am  · 
 · 

while i like to chuckle too, i'm pretty sure they said that 'program' was the written text of the address that was given to all of the members of congress prior.

manatray, i think there has been such a thread. curious what you're looking for. my memory is that the threads had to do with whether you should get extra credit/compensation, etc. my own opinion was that it's just part of being a valuable part of your office team, but... i don't remember any thread titles.

Jan 29, 08 8:57 am  · 
 · 
n_

I adore Talking Heads. In fact, most Tuesdays I try to celebrate with Talking Heads Tuesday. All Talking Heads, all Tuesday long.

Jan 29, 08 9:55 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

With Steven's clues, I found this one, mantaray.

Jan 29, 08 10:05 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

manta- the thread was as steven remembered. the conclusion is bring it in, don't expect for immediate compensation/bonus - but in the long haul you'll get ahead.

wK- see if C can hook you up with one of the TED ticket bidders;-)

Jan 29, 08 10:17 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

thanks dudes.

Jan 29, 08 10:28 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

that was a very interesting and thought-provoking thread.

Jan 29, 08 10:53 am  · 
 · 

I think there was also a strong contingent of us that said one should negotiate to be the primary designer on that team, or otherwise get some sort of opportunity associated with it that was not monetary.

Jan 29, 08 11:15 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

2nd rationalist's point, get responsibility not $$$, that will give the biggest payback in the long run.

Jan 29, 08 11:33 am  · 
 · 

hello all.

I took puppy for a walk yesterday evening.

She had funny sniffing about.

Puppy lead me into the thick of the forest.

In the forest I found baby palms growing.

I pulled them out of the ground.

I took the palms home.

They are in a bucket with water.

How do I transplant palms?

Jan 29, 08 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

a-philia,

Email a pic to me for IDing the sapling.

They may drown in the bucket. better pull them out and wrap roots in plastic to keep from drying out. also keep in shade.

dig hole.

place palm roots down in hole.

cover roots.

water.

water again and again.

Key is don't plant then deeper then they were growing originally.

also you should prune about half the leaves off to keep baby from going into transplant shock. just cause you think that you got all the roots, you didn't - most were left behind when your violently pillaged the tree from it's birthplace.

lots of info if you try google.

Jan 29, 08 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Wow, TK, you made Techno out to be a baby tree killer. I feel sorry for them now, the poor palm mother, her babies ripped right out from under her thanks to Techno's violent hand. Shame on you Techno.

Jan 29, 08 2:10 pm  · 
 · 

does anyone know if those dremel personal drills can cut engrave rock?

Jan 29, 08 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I bet it depends on the rock. I engraved sandstone with a screwdriver once, but that stuff is super soft.

Jan 29, 08 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Wait, are you going to make a memorial for the baby palms?

Jan 29, 08 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

palms are weeds ;-)

Jan 29, 08 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

TK, are they really not classified as a tree? I know we call some things weeds when they are undesirable, but is weed an actual term that describes something else?

Jan 29, 08 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin
Jan 29, 08 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
jealous of the world

aahh..a lovely -44 today with the wind.

when is spring.

Jan 29, 08 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Good God, why would anyone live in that kind of weather?!

Jan 29, 08 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

unlike 'Bugs' which are a specific type of insect (includes aphids and other squishy critters with wings), there is no taxonomic category named weeds. Lots of trees are designated as weeds if they grow somewhere that they aren't wanted or have invasive behavior. The mexican fan palm is very weedy in Los Angeles. If you take the ability to grow anywhere and in recently disturbed places (ie a volcanic island), palms are wonders of the weed world with a huge geographic distribution...

Jan 29, 08 3:48 pm  · 
 · 

Weedkiller! hehehe

Jan 29, 08 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

-44 is inhuman. Isn't that the type of weather that requires blankets for your car engines or something?

techno, I'm pretty sure Dremel tips aren't designed for engraving rocks, but with enough of them, you might make a dent in it.

ATTENTION Cameron (and treekiller): lovely ideas you have there. I like where you're going with this.....***how about we make a date with moi the consolation prize?*** Like, "hey, sorry you don't get to go to TED, but for your second place bid, WonderK will buy you dinner and give you a tour of Los Angeles"?

;o)

Jan 29, 08 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Jeez, I hope the second place bidder isn't a woman. No offense, wealthy, inspirational women of the world.

Jan 29, 08 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

hehehe wK and nam!!!

never tried playing tevya before - not sure if I have a future as a matchmaker or fiddling on a roof.

Jan 29, 08 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
jealous of the world

no blankets are just for my toes. blockheaters are for the cars in this type of weather.
although I kinda wish I could plug-in to keep warm outside

Jan 29, 08 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I have broadband internet at home again! Let's see how long it actually lasts this time.

Jan 29, 08 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Hopefully it won't get blown out if the line of tornado weather that just passed through Indy hits NYC, LiG.

Hail doesn't make anyone happy. It is pretty, though.

Jan 29, 08 8:24 pm  · 
 · 

my car just got hit by branches. and my girls are trapped in a gym about 500 yards from their car with a roaring tumult in the way.

Jan 29, 08 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh, yikes, Steven - it is moving fast though, so they shouldn't be trapped for long!

Jan 29, 08 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Ouch. I hope everybody is okay.

We're supposed to get rain tonight and all day tomorrow, but I don't think they're predicting anything too dramatic weather-wise. Hopefully the subways won't get flooded again.

Jan 29, 08 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

LB and SW - hope you guys are staying safe. SW - Hope your girls are able to get home soon. It looks to it'll be arriving in my neck of the woods in about a half an hour or so.

Jan 29, 08 8:48 pm  · 
 · 

everybody home/all's well.

Jan 29, 08 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

..and now a bitterly cold and STRONG wind is blowing in snow flurries...byebye scent of spring I noted yesterday morning.

Jan 29, 08 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Glad to hear they are safe SW. I got something like five seconds of wind and rain. So much for the huge storm that was rolling through the neighborhood. As usual I think the brink of it probably hit either to the north or south of the city.

Jan 29, 08 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

well not only did we have tornado warnings, and a drop in temp of twenty or so degrees but some a-hole left their stove on and the fire alarm went off(went off last week at 3 a.m.) and i've just been outside in a forty mile an hour wind. before i could get my frozen car door open that is. its really icey out already. tomorrow will be hell for the commuters. i think i will call the landlord and ask them to remind the tenants to not be retarded and turn their fucking stoves off. wtf?

Jan 29, 08 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

So apparantly I was wrong. The wind is a howlin' now. Hopefully the roof won't blow off... b/c that would really suck.

Jan 29, 08 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

i just almost puked from the rawness of the cold wind driving into my lungs. the wind-driven snow is brutal on the ole peepers, too.

Jan 29, 08 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

so yesterday snow and ice melted into puddles on my sidewalk, now today this happens

what the fuck, and things are making creaking noises now???

Jan 29, 08 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I'm sorry, friends. Stay warm everyone. It's cold here too....and I rode my bike today. The ride home is going to be brisk, at best.

Jan 30, 08 12:07 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Steven: I'm thinking straws would be good for the GSA kids' auditions!

Jan 30, 08 12:14 am  · 
 · 

maybe i should try them first. seems tough to work with them. might blow the time limits.

Jan 30, 08 6:56 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

LB, and anyone else who notices...

I did freak out a bit when my Mom showed up here last night, but I couldn't really react, now could I? It was like having your mom show up at a party when you're in college or high school, awkward, but you try not to let it show. At least she doesn't check into the other threads.

Strange, though, isn't it that I never minded her lurking, just posting; its so bizare.

Jan 30, 08 8:41 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

Hello everyone, This is vado's mother. I just wanted to thank you all for being his friend. As many of you may know he was a lonely child and most of his playmates were imaginary. He didn't have many girlfriend's either, so I especiallly want to thank all of you ladies for befriending him as he is a bit shy around the fairer sex. Perhaps someday he will settle down with that nice woman who he calls his exgirlfriend/future wife. I have met her and she is a nice gal. Very smart and very pretty, I wonder what she sees in him? Oh well, he has always been a good son, even though he could call more. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Jan 30, 08 8:52 am  · 
 · 

about mums, mine comes to visit in a week's time. She wants to help with the house...i'll check her shouvel technique and let you know.

on a very important side note, I think I'm going to apply for a TED so I get get that second prize. Dinner and a tour of LA with Wonder K sounds like something to really aspire to. Esp if she does it in a SMART

Jan 30, 08 9:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: