Archinect
anchor

accepted to grad schools yet?

MArch n' unemployed

yeah, exactly...i think that's a good thing. using the waterjet and mill and laser cutter to actually FABRICATE work, rather than make representations of the work [models]...i thought that was great.

where else are you looking at awol?

Apr 11, 06 12:36 am  · 
 · 
awol

it's come down to mit and berkeley, and i'm leaning towards mit. it has become largely a matter of the things that aren't related to the programs, because i'd probably be happy at either one. i visited berkeley and san francisco this weekend and i just didn't feel the connection i felt at mit when i first came here, years ago. one of the things keeping me in cambridge is that i don't want to know just architects while i'm in school, and that's something i can sustain easily while i'm at mit. i also think that i might not be directed enough to be able to design my own curriculum at berkeley.

Apr 11, 06 12:42 am  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

im from boston. represent.

can't go wrong either way. did you talk to evan at all [the girl showing most of us around?] she came from mit and obviously went to berkeley.

Apr 11, 06 12:44 am  · 
 · 
awol

not that much - i knew evan when she went to mit; i think she graduated a year ahead of me? we had a friend in common who was both architecture and planning.

p.s. are you from boston, or are you "from boston"? i'm "from boston" because nobody has ever heard of where i'm from.

Apr 11, 06 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

"from boston"....newburyport

Apr 11, 06 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
awol

ah. me: carlisle. land of...conservation land. and white people.

Apr 11, 06 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

Newburyport??? That's like saying Framingham or Worcester.
Just kidding
Hey awol, are you going for the Master in Urban Plannning or something else?

Apr 11, 06 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

yeah sort of the same...framingham and worcester are little nicer i think.

Apr 11, 06 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
awol

i'm doing my masters in city planning right now. i'm going to my m.arch. weird, i know. most people usually go from architecture to planning.

Apr 11, 06 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
awol

where by "going to" i meant "going for."

Apr 11, 06 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

Yeah, that is weird. And you did everything at MIT?
I really hope Newburyport is nicer than Worcester.
Is this a private tread, I just noticed that for about the past 20 messages, it's been a dialogue between awol and MArch06?

Apr 11, 06 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

yes it is much nicer...;)

Apr 11, 06 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
awol

what's not nicer than worcester? thought i suppose they have eastern sprints there, that's a redeeming factor.

no, this isn't a private thread, we've just been monopolizing it...

i did do everything at mit. i was a little worried about spending so long at mit, but i just didn't find another school where i could see myself being happy.

Apr 11, 06 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

I wonder if they have a 'Buy Two Degrees, Get Your Third Degree Free'?

Apr 11, 06 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
awol

oh, i wish. don't i wish...

Apr 11, 06 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
odee

Is this thread dieing...not anymore!

Apr 12, 06 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

I think it is; all the schools have pretty much sent out their letters of admission and people have made sub-threads now.
I wonder if this thread will come back to life next year or a new one will be created.

Apr 12, 06 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

peace in the middle east- yo!

sci-arc the place to be.

Apr 12, 06 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

In the hopes of reviving this thread, did anyone else receive the "Hmmmm. . . do you want your portfolio back?" e-mail from the GSAPP?
I'm having mixed feelings, it did cost a lot to print but I've already started to reedit it, so what's the point?

Apr 13, 06 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

You can give one to your mom. I makes her happy.

If giving one to your girlfriend/wife makes her happy then you are set.

Apr 13, 06 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
tagalong

to the top!

Apr 14, 06 12:51 am  · 
 · 
FloridaGirl

Hey everyone! I applied to seven schools and the only one i have not heard back from is UCLA. i check my email like 1 million times a day to see if i have received anything from them. Have any of you heard back from UCLA recently???? I also got accepted to the Making + Meaning summer program at Sch-arc. I think i am going to go. Have any of you been through the program or know of any feedback...good or bad?? As of right now I will be attending University of Miami unless...i get ACCEPTED to UCLA. the classical principles of UM aren't really my style (i consider myself to be a postmodernist....but not weird for the sake of weird.) and going out to Cali seems to be an awesome time. anyhow, i'm dying here waiting.

Apr 24, 06 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

floridagirl, call them, that's just insane. i got my rejection back in march.

Apr 24, 06 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
FloridaGirl

Oh MY! thanks for letting me know. did you get the letter through email or through "snail mail." where are you going to go to grad school????

Apr 25, 06 10:43 am  · 
 · 
not_here

email.
umich 3G :-D :-D :-D

Apr 25, 06 10:58 am  · 
 · 
vman

accepted to u.penn - m.arch 1. :)

so now i'm 2/5 and waiting for the yale waitlist.
pretty sure I'd still go to ucla over penn, although I think I will go visit penn sometime soon.

Apr 26, 06 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
two-headed boy

vman, are you in off the waitlist? thats great! congratulations.
Anyone hear from the ucla waitlist or others?

Apr 26, 06 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
meta

anyone hear from sci-arc waitlist?

how many are waitlisted generally?

congrats vman.

Apr 26, 06 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
vman

I'm in off the waitlist. They e-mailed me this morning. Package and financial info forthcoming...

good luck, fellow waitlistees !

Apr 26, 06 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
thefission

UCLA-as of just now Jim Kies said that they still haven't made any decisions....

is it true that they didn't let anyone off the waitlist last year?

I guess vman is one less UCLAer.

Apr 26, 06 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
two-headed boy

fission, the not so helpful girl at ucla said she "thought" people were in off the list last year?? But Ive heard on other threads that that isnt the case. Did jim kies tell you anything else? when they expect to know?

Apr 26, 06 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
assbackward

thefission: I'm going to UCLA in the fall. I just called the admission office yesterday, and the person who answered the phone said that they're looking at portfolios right now. This would imply that they're now choosing more people from the waitlst, at least as far as I can tell.

Apr 27, 06 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
strugs

Yes, I have been accepted to grad schools. Thanks for asking. I'm pretty stoked too.

Apr 27, 06 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
thefission

Kies, quite closed lipped....
he did not say anything about last year and always said that if they needed people from the waitlist then they would pursue looking at the portfolios......

i never knew i would derive hope from 'assbackward'...thanks for that.

Apr 28, 06 3:11 am  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

strugs- did you make a decision? eh... i'll just shoot you an e-mail.

Apr 28, 06 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
meta

hey all you waitlisted guys, are you guys gonna wait for some more time from your first choice schools or gonna go ahead with the next choice?

vman, what did you do? did you do anything like visiting the school,talking to profs.. before you got admitted to upenn?

May 2, 06 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
mab82

anyone who was waitlisted at sciarc get a financial aid packet? I presume if I got one, I'm off the waitlist now?

May 2, 06 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
tworings

mab82,
i think you're safe in assuming that if they are offering you money, they are also offering you admission. strange though, that they would send financial aid info before an admission letter or packet. i would call them and ask. good luck!

May 2, 06 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
meta

which one is it for mab82?

May 2, 06 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
asauer

mab82,

I got a financial aid packet from sci-arc long before I was denied admission. So im not sure about you assumption, but good luck anyway.

May 2, 06 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
mab82

of course I spoke slightly too soon - I got an email from them reminding me to send in the green slip to reserve a spot on the waitlist. which I would assume means I'm still on the waitlist. or maybe not. who knows. I'm guessing sciarc's left hand doesn't know what its right hand is doing...

asauer - was the financial aid packet super itemized, as in breaking down the budget and detailing your loans and how they disperese over the two semesters, or was it the application for financial aid? I received the prior last night. oh, and I'm waitlisted for m.arch I, 3 year, whatever you want to call it.

doesn't matter anyway, beyond a pat on the back (another school wants me?? yay! my self-deprication can be subdued), b/c I've sent in my intent to enroll and deposit to the UW Seattle.

May 2, 06 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
asauer

I may have just gotten the application for financial aid, I am not certain though since I have since discarded it. I was waitlisted at Umich but I have already decided to attend Ga Tech for the 3+ M.Arch program. Anyway, good like at UW or Sci-Arc.

May 2, 06 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
vman

meta-

I didn't do anything special with Penn's waitlist. I called them the day after I recieved my waitlist letter in March to confirm that I wanted to remain on the list, but that was it.

I am/was also waitlisted for Yale's program. I mailed a letter to them affirming my interest in the program the day before I received a letter from them letting me know that they have filled their incoming class but will keep me on the list just in case. Oh well...

May 5, 06 1:29 am  · 
 · 
waitlisted

Well- I got an email from the GSD the other day saying that they weren't taking anyone from the waitlist this year. I wonder if they say that as a consolation... anyone accepted off the GSD waitlist this time?

May 5, 06 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
tworings

i just got an email from sci-arc offering me admission from the waitlist, in case anyone else is waiting as well.

May 5, 06 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
meta

hey tworings, thats great! are you looking forward to it? i was/am still in the waitlist. when i mailed them couple of days back, i was told it'll take them few more weeks to decide on the ranking. i wonder how you got to know about it earlier. now, i get this feeling sci arc does'nt need me. sigh!

are you gonna take it? what are your other options?

May 6, 06 8:15 am  · 
 · 
iterati

On waitlisting....got in off Penn's waitlist for MARCH II. Gonna go to Penn. Was pleasantly surprised to get the news.

May 6, 06 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
tworings

meta,
thanks. i have decided not to go to sci-arc. i have committed to go to ucla, but am still waitlisted at michigan. the email from sci-arc said that i have until may 29 to accept, but i will notify sci-arc of my intention not to enroll monday morning, after speaking with them concerning financial aid. hopefully that will open up another spot for you. where else are you considering going? good luck!

May 6, 06 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
assbackward

I got that same e-mail from SCI-Arc last week, but somehow they never sent me anything about admission status before that e-mail. I never got a letter in the mail, no e-mails, phone calls, etc. They sent me a couple of ads for lectures/exhibitions, but nothing about admission. In case anyone reading this is still on the waitlist, I turned down the offer, as I too have already committed to UCLA. So there's one more spot for someone.

May 6, 06 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
meta

tworings- i'm not sure where i would end up going. i was pretty eager to join sciarc this fall. lets see.. guess i still have some chance. or maybe i'm gonna fillup your spot monday ;). don't wanna sound really desperate, but i was quite attracted by their program.
good luck to you too at ucla? or even umich.

May 7, 06 11:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: