Archinect
anchor

Building within ruins

sure2016

I am working on the ENYA Southpoint Art Center competition and was looking for precedents for building modern facilities adjacent to or within ruins. All Ive got now is Mill City Museum in Minneapolis and the Tate Modern(not really ruins, but nice adaptive reuse). I know Ive seen other projects that have done this recently. Can anyone recommend some other precedents?

Dec 15, 05 2:18 pm
freq_arch

my career is in ruins, does that count?
sorry, wish it were a joke.

Dec 15, 05 2:25 pm  · 
 · 

Dec 15, 05 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
aseid

freq_arch you just made me laugh, as I saw my own reflection through your post

Dec 15, 05 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

rome - pretty much the entire city is a study in building in/with/near ruins.

aside from the tate, herzog & de meuron have often done projects dealing with existing structures, i think a chapter of their natural history book is called "apropriation"

i'd also take a look at sverre fehn, specifically his cathedral museum in hamar and also the museum of photograhy project (although i'm not sure if that's the right name...and i'm not certain where it is at, somewhere in norge, maybe oslo)

lastly, although it's not about building with ruins specifically, i think the most recent issue of the harvard design magazine has a feature on modern building within existing traditional context...but i haven't read it yet so i'm not certain how helpful it'd be...take a look for yourself.

Dec 15, 05 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

puddles - i am surprised that you have not mentioned your favorite north american city, detroit, on this thread. i am certain that, in time, you will make it into the new rome.

Dec 15, 05 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

freq_arch, you made me laugh too, through the tears.

I know everyone's seen it before but it's still an amazing image

Dec 15, 05 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

lb, that would be a great drive-in architect's office.
drive in , take your laptop and card table setup out and go. people with vans can also work overtime and sleep inside.
where is that space? i never seen it.

Dec 15, 05 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

michigan theater in detroit. rip everything out, put in some slabs, viola, instant slightly profitable parking structure.

featured recently in the blockbuster flop "the Island"

Dec 15, 05 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
manamana
e

i've never seen it either lb. great image.

Dec 15, 05 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yep, Michigan Theater. Featured in 8 Mile too. And my best girlfriend got married there!

Dec 15, 05 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
Dec 15, 05 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

How dare we forget Scarpa...

Dec 15, 05 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
impalajunkie

check out renzo piano's symphony halls outside of rome. they discovered ruins beneath when excavating then changed the design to accomodate them.

Dec 15, 05 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

bossman,

i would've mentioned detroit but, although it has plenty of ruins, there really hasn't been much building done yet...aside from the michigan theater, of course...but i'll see if i can think of anything else in the 313.

Dec 15, 05 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
Dec 15, 05 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
Dec 15, 05 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
Dec 15, 05 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

tate modern

Dec 15, 05 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
garpike
All Ive got now is Mill City Museum in Minneapolis and the Tate Modern(not really ruins, but nice adaptive reuse).
Dec 15, 05 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Isn't there a building in Europe that has a glass insertion much like Mill City? I tried Googling, but have had no luck.

Dec 15, 05 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
spirk

What about Ford Field. I'm not 100% sure but didn't they salvage most of an old warehouse building and locate the suites and office function there.

Here's something else that's interesting. The AIA Detroit along with a large group of local firms are designing window installations to be replaced in some of the building around the stadium for the Super Bowl.

I believe they are trying to dress up the abandoned buildings on Woodward.

Dec 15, 05 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

There is a boat Museum in Oslo, Norway.....just can't recall the name...but it could be googled under, "vikings museum"

Dec 15, 05 6:46 pm  · 
 · 

i think snooker's referring to the one by sverre fehn? something long and nordic-spelling like hammersfjordson-something.

Dec 15, 05 7:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: