Archinect
anchor

COR-TEN

ferd

can anyone send me a link, or any info/product specs, to a distributor that supplies Cor-Ten.

any links would be greatly appreciated.

also, if anyone knows the approx square foot costs for the material it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

ferd

Dec 15, 05 10:54 am
gruen

I *think* you'd get corten from your local steel distributor. Why not check the yellow pages & make a phone call or two?

Do a search for "CORTEN" AND "COR-TEN" on google, you'll get some good info.

Dec 15, 05 10:59 am  · 
 · 
ferd

anybody that has used the material in any past projects.

yellow pages? what are yellow pages?

Dec 15, 05 11:03 am  · 
 · 
gruen

uh - your phone book (in the US we call the business section the "yellow pages')

Dec 15, 05 11:21 am  · 
 · 
cynic

US Steel is a large distributor of it......however they have adjusted their view towards its use in architecture recently, and they now tend to discourage it as a skin or cladding because recent research shows that the corrosion, in fact, does not stop after forming an oxidized layer, and will eventually fully corrode through a panel.....granted, the oxidation will take much, much longer than carbon steel (100 years or more), but nevertheless, USS no longer advocates exterior use of COR-TEN

....at least that's what their rep told me in 2003

Dec 15, 05 11:44 am  · 
 · 
gruen

CORTEN is simply a steel alloy (copper and steel). Other non-branded (ie not Corten(TM) ) corrosion resistant steel alloys exist. Talk to your local steel yard rep. If you live in an area w/o a large steel yard, go the the nearest large city, (via telephone) and talk to the steel yard rep there. If they can't help, call another yard.

Since CORTEN is just a alloy, you can buy all sorts of corten stuff - sheets, bolts, etc.

i worked for a guy who use sheet corten as shingles for the exterior of a house. It was kinda cool. fabricate it just like any sheet metal product.

Dec 15, 05 11:58 am  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

Ah, Cor-Ten... love that stuff. As far as information, just google it -- there are many, many links.

Here's my unsolicited advice: Cor-Ten is an awesome product, HOWEVER...it "bleeds" rusty stuff on to all adjacent materials and landscaping. Still, in the right circumstance, there is nothing else like it.

Dec 15, 05 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
Try Google
Dec 15, 05 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
raj

call companies that sell steel...esp to artists. i found it that way in houston. you will get a lot of "huh??" but you will finally get someone.
i also found it beneficial to describe it as "the steel they use in highway construction that rusts"

it is all in the limits of language!!

Dec 15, 05 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
waxwings
http://www.ussteel.com/metal/metal/corten.shtml

faux-ten? a not so honest solution.

can you seal corten once you have your desired patina?

Dec 15, 05 4:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: