Archinect
anchor

A+U Extra OMA @ work.a+u

dloe

Anybody Have this? I am debating buying it but I haven't gotten a chance to take a look at it...Is it worth shelling out the $80 for it. The other A+U issues I already have are all top quality is this one the same?

Thanks

Dec 13, 05 1:55 pm
jlxarchitect

I have one I bought three years ago. I like it more than anything else. It showed me how the logic can work out the design problem for A museum extention in NY.

The building is brutul but the solution is very reseanable. Yep, it is around $80.

Dec 14, 05 10:17 am  · 
 · 
slip

I would second that this volume is worth it... it includes a few projects rarely published elsewhere, and as i remeber the only images of the hermitage work by amo published so far

Dec 14, 05 11:05 am  · 
 · 
moratto

OMA@Work is an excellent book but if I remember right it is about 5 years old so the new buildings are not in there. But I found that book to have the most comprehensive photos and drawings on the Kunsthal, my favorite.

There is a new A+U out on OMA. It focuses on the CCTV building. I have been contemplating buying this. Can anyone recommend it?

Dec 14, 05 11:55 am  · 
 · 
dloe

Moratto, You can see a preview of the CCTV issue here: http://www.japan-architect.co.jp/english/1all/top_frame.html

I flipped through it at the bookstore and it looked worth buying.

Dec 14, 05 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
j-turn

I'd say definitely -
it has the process work for Seattle and Porto, the junkspace article, and a Rem lecture transcribed in which he describes taking a design they did for a house and turning it into Porto.

It's a excellent reference for diagram strategies and dutch collage techniques.

If your like me, and don't really have the stomach for the photoshop mania of Content, and just want to see the drawing and the process, its one of the best OMA publications.

Dec 15, 05 12:02 am  · 
 · 

wow $80? less than half that cost here..so i have bought them both

a+u is usually fairly good and the two mentioned above are worth having if into oma. and both have a more restrained hand with the image blitzkreig-ing if not your thing.

[email protected]+u has maybe a bit too much overlap with smlxl (and it is indeed a bit old) to be worth the $80, but the one for cctv is really great as a document. the sheer amount of work on display for the project is amazing...you can almost smell the burned out interns..

if it fails at any level it is that the images and text are more descriptive than revealing of how the buildings were developed. still, it is remarkable enough and the images are cool enough to be worth buying...80 bucks though is perhaps too high. hell, i don't think i paid even that much for smlxl.

Dec 15, 05 3:32 am  · 
 · 
thenewold

you can buy that A+U CCTV from A+U itself (in japan) for 5500 yen which is about 50 bucks I think.

Dec 15, 05 8:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: