Archinect
anchor

Architecture and traffic jams

rutger

The cockpit building by Kas Oosterhuis was in the dutch news recently, supposedly it caused a 40% increase in traffic jams. The building is a showroom for fancy cars located alongside a highway near Utrecht and people slow down to watch the building and the cars.
Any other examples?
Which buildings make you hit the brakes?

Dec 12, 05 7:57 pm

jammin'

Nervi's Papal Audience Hall

Dec 12, 05 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
e
carson williams' home

has caused a lot a traffic jams and one accident.

try living next to that guy.

Dec 12, 05 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

the structural member in the cockpit building are so fat, i wonder how people can see the 'fancy' cars inside.

Dec 12, 05 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

It's nice that people can slow down from the daily rush to take in pleasant architecture. It's so much more acceptable than rubbernecking a car crash!

Dec 13, 05 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

enjoy the pastoral views peeps!

Dec 13, 05 3:15 pm  · 
 · 

this was a timely thread, as i started commuting (yecch) the morning it was started. i sat in traffic for 45 minutes of what should have been a 15 minute drive.

there's no good architecture to see along the way, though there is one landmark which lends a certain irony to the whole situation: i get to watch the completion of construction of the new hummer dealership as i drive by in my hybrid each morning:

yes, i'm now part of the problem.

Dec 14, 05 8:02 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Steven oes that big H just make you say "Awwww, HELL!" every morning as you drive by?

Dec 14, 05 9:18 am  · 
 · 

...or 'i'm in Hell'...

Dec 14, 05 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
dia

This house, just down from where i used to live in St kilda, always stops traffic......

By Cassandra Fahey/Cassandra Complex

Dec 14, 05 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
e

house? hahaha. that looks so silly. i'd hate to live across the street from it.

Dec 14, 05 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
upside

youd probably hate the redneck footy player who lives there too.

Dec 14, 05 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
brickhouse

(Chorus)
Damn this traffic jam
How I hate to be late
It hurts my motor to go so slow
Damn this traffic jam
Time I get home my supper'll be cold
Damn this traffic jam

Well I left my job about 5 o'clock
It took fifteen minutes go three blocks
Just in time to stand in line
With a freeway looking like a parking lot

- Chorus -

Now I almost had a heart attack
Looking in my rear view mirror
I saw myself the next car back
Looking in the rear view mirror
'Bout to have a heart attack
I said

- Chorus -

Now when I die I don't want no coffin
I thought about it all too often
Just strap me in behind the wheel
And bury me with my automobile

- Chorus -

Damn...

Now I used to think that I was cool
Running around on fossil fuel
Until I saw what I was doing
Was driving down the road to ruin

Dec 15, 05 10:29 am  · 
 · 
e

i don't care who lives there. the house is obnoxious.

Dec 15, 05 11:45 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I agree e. Although I actually do like the enormous graphic "facade", I'd like it a whole lot better if it was something visually interesting - I don't like the cheescake-lips-parted-seductively chick. So lame and predictable and it doesn't matter that it's a female firm that designed it. Still obnoxious.

Dec 15, 05 11:58 am  · 
 · 
mm

I thought I remember hearing something a while back that the reflective surface of Gehry's Disney Hall forced drivers to slow down. It may have caused an accident or two, as well.

I also remember hearing that several buildings in downtown Houston cause the same problem for the highway that travels through the downtown. For some reason, I vaguely recall Andres Duany talking about that...

Dec 15, 05 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
e

i like nice graphic facades too, but on a residence? and who is that woman? his wife? the woman of his dreams? if he is single, [and yes, maybe wrongfully so, i am making an assumption that it is a he that lives there] what is his dates reaction when he brings her home?

mm, i've heard that about several of gerhy's buildings. ha.

Dec 15, 05 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Good point re: residences, e, but I do think given the context apparent in the photo a big graphic house isn't out of place. Just with a better image. Now please don't ask me what the image should be because I have no idea!

No woman's (or man's) picture should be that big on a residence though - except perhaps for the Queen of England's.

Dec 15, 05 12:36 pm  · 
 · 

Dec 15, 05 12:54 pm  · 
 · 

Ein Teil der Architecture as Signal?

Frohe Weihnachten!

Dec 15, 05 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
dia

e + lb,

I'm surprised that you didnt recognise Pamela Anderson's visage. This house is/was obviously controversial.

The client, one Sam Newman, AFL Legend and TV personality is a larrikin and not someone you would think would be in to this kind of house. But the architect, Cassandra Fahey [yes, a woman] did this house reasonably soon after she graduated, and it was a huge call to make and took some serious balls.

Directly behind this house is a tramline and Albert Park, home of the Australian Grand Prix. The street it is on links St Kilda to South Melbourne, via Middle and Albert Park, all suburbs of which are at the higher end of the value spectrum with their renovated Victorian Villa's and leafy streets on the bay front.

Contrary to popular opinion, Sam Newman hasnt lived there for quite some time and rented it out. That did'nt stop regular Friday and Saturday night occurences of people standing outside, yelling and throwing bric-a-brac. Sam, last I heard, lives in a mansion in Brighton.

I love this house.

Dec 15, 05 2:48 pm  · 
 · 

Ach so, the garage door whore.

Dec 15, 05 2:55 pm  · 
 · 

die Einwohner heute

Dec 15, 05 3:01 pm  · 
 · 

"How much is that doggy innuendo?"

Dec 15, 05 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

There are no Traffic Jambs in Mud Butte, South Dakota. I know, cause I have been there...

Dec 15, 05 8:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: