Archinect
anchor

Romantic design; men vs. women

Jeanette01

Imagine an intimate setting with the perfect lighting and peaceful music playing softly in the background. As a woman you may picture this as romantic. However, a man would possibly prefer a sports bar with lots of noise and beer. On the other hand, women may see sports and beer as fun and rugged, although not the place to fall in love. The design of a romantic getaway brings forth a particular integration, where two connected (yet seperate) guests are addressed. In this context, it seems especially odd that 'romantic' design has become so universal, founded on particular 'nostalgic-beautiful' elements. Do traditional designs really work for both men and women? Or is this technique one that more precisely addresses the desires of women, while pigeon-holing men as 'ambivalent'?

Dec 8, 05 8:40 pm
garpike

Oh no not this again. I am a straight, manly-man male who hates sports. Also, I like peaceful music and perfect lighting - can be very romantic. Grunt grunt!

Please read.

Dec 8, 05 8:57 pm  · 
 · 

because all men and all women think a like, of course...

Dec 8, 05 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

garpike and pixelwhore are two of the most romantic guys i know. its obvious from their names alone.

Dec 8, 05 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Soft lighting makes flatters everyone. Better yet, pitch darkness.

Dec 8, 05 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

maybe its just me, but doesn't that kind of romance have more to do with paying attention to who you are with rather than where you are at?

Dec 8, 05 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Dec 8, 05 11:29 pm  · 
 · 

does perfect lighting and peaceful music imply 'nostalgic-beautiful'? that's pretty sloppy thinking, jeannette.

i'm not really likely to be comfortable in either 'nostalgic-beautiful' or a sports bar, but perfect lighting and music (peaceful or otherwise) sounds ok to me.

designing based on stereotypes is a losing game.

Dec 9, 05 8:49 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

theatrical lighting and romance are cheesy.

Dec 9, 05 10:33 am  · 
 · 
AP

google search for "romantic cheese lighting" returns:

Dec 9, 05 10:39 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

garpike is the second one on the left, pixelwhore is the second one on the right. unfortunately, i was sick that day.

Dec 9, 05 10:50 am  · 
 · 

vado: isn't that you in AP's post romantically singing to garpike and myself?

Dec 9, 05 11:12 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

busted

Dec 9, 05 11:15 am  · 
 · 
AP
Dec 9, 05 11:42 am  · 
 · 

everything I need to know about romance I learned from Vado

Dec 9, 05 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Wait! I can't see my picture... though I am sure I am dashing. I remember that time you sang to us, vado. Remember the tear in my eye? Remember? Those were the days.

Dec 9, 05 12:54 pm  · 
 · 

before
and
after

Dec 9, 05 1:24 pm  · 
 · 

after = mini-golf? nothing wrong with some mini-golf.

Dec 9, 05 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Riddle of the Sphinx:
What has 4 legs, then 2 legs, finally 3 legs? Hint: the third leg of the final phase looks somewhat like a putter.

Dec 9, 05 3:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: