Archinect
anchor

which camcorder to buy?

jlxarchitect

I am looking for a camcorder in this christmas for myself. I generally USE it for family and trip. The price is around $ 500 and my basic request is photo quality is no less than 5.0 megapixel.

What brand is your suggestion?

Dec 1, 05 12:53 pm
Emerson123

Good luck. I was looking and the best quality I could find was 3.0 megapixel, and even that was $1000. I can't imagine finding a 5.0 megapixel for $500, hats off to you if you can!

Dec 1, 05 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
zeth01

yeah your definitely looking to spend around a thousand. JVC has one for just under a thousand. try surching for refurbished items.

Dec 1, 05 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

So what is the proper quality in terms of the picture and video resolution? For architecture trip and family purpose?

How does the following sound to you:

Sony DCR-DVD403 3MP DVD Handycam Camcorder w/10x Optical Zoom

2.7-inch, 16:9 aspect ratio LCD
Dolby digital 5.1 audio recording
1/6-inch CCD imager with 3.3-megapixel resolution
Compatible with DVD-R/-RW/+RW formats
10x optical zoom with digital image stabilization

Dec 1, 05 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
eddieP

i have been looking for one recently and here is what i found:

panasonic basically leads the way with respect to video image quality. they use 3CCD technology (the only company to do so) and it is my understanding that this produces outstanding color rendering and excellent low-light quality.

i wouldnt buy a camcorder based on its ability to take still pictures though. unfortunately that is a pretty pricey camera and i dont think low priced high megapixel camcorders exist just yet. a link for you to explore:

camcorder review site that claims to have reviewed all camcorders on the market

good luck! ...and please post your findings!

Dec 1, 05 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

5 megapixels is somewhat astronomical for video...

HDTV is only 2 megapixels to put things in perspective. i don't think there's a tv out there that will even display 5 megapixels...

typical NTSC tv is ~345,000 pixels

if you're not truly film making, find something that's compact and light with decent quality and good battery life. that'll be more important.

Dec 1, 05 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

I believe that optical zoom capability is also important. What is the reasonable range for me- an relatively poor architect?

Dec 1, 05 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
eddieP

i want to get either the GS-150 (wide screen + remote + some higher end features like s-video in) or the GS-65 same as 150 without higher end features.

from all the i have read i really think that these are your best bet. put it this way - i cant find an article negative enough about either of those two to make me think twice.

i recently checked them out at best buy and they were very easy to use and were surprisingly small.

check froogle for the best deal. i also believe that these units have a 50 dollar rebate till the end of the year.

although optical zoom is best i think the you'll be fine without.

Dec 1, 05 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

the kid's toy digital/hard drive one at toys-r-us, like $80...

Dec 3, 05 2:57 am  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

eddieP:
Thanks for your recommendation and the comments for the Optical Zoom. Now I have a good start and know Optical zoom is not sth same as digital zoom.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Optical-Zoom-vs-Digital-Zoom-Quality-vs-Quantity.htm

Based on the following article, I don't understand the CCD. What is it?

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Panasonic-PV-GS150-Camcorder-Review.htm

Dec 5, 05 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
eddieP

i'll let wiki handle this one:

CCD

Dec 5, 05 12:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: