Archinect
anchor

Seekignn info on concealed/hidden parking decks in small town centers???

daroc

I am researching the problem of parking deck design for small town centers; specifically those which are concealed behind or interior to a concealing outer mall/shopping/business construction;

***I PARTICULARLY need to find real examples of these, preferably with "Village Architecture" (ie: New England Formal Traditional) facades.

Can anyone help out on this one?

Hope to hear from you.

Nov 30, 05 11:11 am
mm

You may wish to look at some New Urbanist plans that have incorporated parking structures into the backs of commercial buildings.

In particular, you might want to look at Peter Calthorpe's work. ( www.calthorpe.com )

Nov 30, 05 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
207moak

Amherst, MA has an undergrond parking structure contained within a block of traditional brick storefront.

Nov 30, 05 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

here is a new development a few miles from me that incorporates underground parking:

mountaineer square

I would also check out other ski resort expansions, as parking seems to ALWAYS be an issue, and they're all about the 'village aesthetic.'

Nov 30, 05 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

And Northampton, right across the river, has a structure right behind its main stret that works pretty well also.

Nov 30, 05 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

they did this in bloomington indiana about fifteen years back.

Nov 30, 05 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
daroc

THANK YOU for the quick responses. I am following the leads thus far offered and am hungry for more. Thank you all and keep them coming!

Nov 30, 05 6:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: