Archinect
anchor

Precedents for a 'pod and skin' architecture?

drs

My current design project is accomodation and working space for thirty artists in a city centre location. I've decided to explore how typographical conventions could inform the design of a building, which has lead me to a three dimensional layout grid - in reality the floors and outer rain defence - occupied by free-standing rooms based on letter forms, which are the typographic character.

Essentially I'm looking for recommendation of any precedents where interior elements are becoming independent of the outer structure, eg. Shigeru Ban's Naked House, to see how functionality is divided and how suitable open floor plans might be structurally achieved.

Cheers, D

Nov 29, 05 7:18 am

oma/koolhaas do this, if i understand what you're looking for. look in smlxl and/or content for the desert motel project in africa and their entry for the grande bibliotecque paris...there are probably others i'm not remembering.

holl almost does it at simmons hall, mit, floating the social spaces amongst both the structure and the more structured programmatic elements (the rooms).

and alsop does it as well. in fact, in a news item posted last week you'll see both a new alsop project with blobs floated in a open structure and mason white's commentary: that it's a lift from earlier work of cedric price (so look at his work, too).

as a real essence-of-the-idea precedent, a little farther removed from actual buildings or proposals for buildings, you might look at superstudio work. undifferentiated grid/structure on which anything might occur at any place on the grid. not a stretch from this to a project like the pompidou with its superstructure supporting open floor plates on which anything could happen.

then you might look at the mall of america (camp snoopy) or the opryland hotel. both are huge steel and glass 'tents' which accommodate theme parks.

Nov 29, 05 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

when i think pod i think invasion of the body snatchers

Nov 29, 05 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
drs

Cool, thanks for you leads. I'll follow 'em up and let you know how I get on.

And thanks, vado ;).

D

Nov 29, 05 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
http://www.quondam.com/37/3624.htm
Nov 29, 05 1:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: