Archinect
anchor

Arizona State University

mdler

walked around ASU's Tempe campus this past weekend...some pretty swell buildings.

Any thoughts....

Nov 28, 05 12:38 pm
le bossman

i think asu has one of the nicer campuses i've been to; it's a lot nicer than michigan's anyway, at least with regard to north campus. they've worked out some interesting places to hang out during the day, but it suffers at night. the libraries all close at 9pm and there is only one dorm inside the campus, the rest are all on the periphery.

probably my favorite building is the law library, though there are some nice spaces by the business building and also the inner courtyard in mclintock hall i think it is. asu is at an advantage for 'niceness' though because so many of the buildings are newer. old main is also interesting, they did a really nice job of refurbishing it, and you don't normally see that brand of architecture in tempe.

Nov 28, 05 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

old main

law library

nelson fine arts center [i have bipolar feelings about this one]

Nov 28, 05 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

the mechanical facilities building had a nice concrete fascade...and the fans in on of the science buildings were impressive

Nov 28, 05 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

mdler, why were you down there? Catching up on your golf? :o)

Nov 28, 05 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

looking at all the peroxide blonds w/ fake boobs in scottsdale

Nov 28, 05 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

HEY! I grew up in Scottsdale and am nether blonde nor fake.

But yeah I guess the town has gone that way since I was a kid...

I still love how the stadium is nestled into the little mountainettes there.

Nov 28, 05 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

they have a very nice new computer science (?) building..blue glass facade. It has a very raw and modern look...designed by jones studio.

Nov 28, 05 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you can find me poolside

Nov 28, 05 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

liberty bell,

im not saying that ddd's are a bad thing

Nov 28, 05 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Get some wings....and fly around the valley.....Bruder has a few precious works along with Jones and Jones...then FLW...has more than a scattering. There is one heck of a nice building just behind
the biltmore hotel. It is an office building jones and jones used to might still have a suite there. I don't recall the Architects name, but
he did a real fine job. To bad Proffessor Cook is gone cause I'm sure
he could tell you about all the true gems of the valley.

Nov 28, 05 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I suppose, mdler, that ddd's do throw more shade which is of high importance in the Valley of the Sun ;-)

Nov 28, 05 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

just northeast of asu

Nov 28, 05 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
wilday

The "blue glass facade building" on the ASU campus is Lattie Coor Hall. It was finished about 2 years ago. I went to a lecture where Eddie Jones was presenting it, and said his inspiration was "an ice cube on top of a rock", which riled up a lot of the architecture professors - they said it would melt. Overall a nice building though, especially the exterior stairs.

Another building to check out is the phoenix library if you get a chance. Right above 1-10 at Central.

Nov 29, 05 1:07 am  · 
 · 
wilday

Here's a pic...

and the library (couldn't find a better pic)...

Nov 29, 05 1:12 am  · 
 · 
vado retro
Nov 29, 05 5:46 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

interior phoenix libary.

Nov 29, 05 5:48 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

ahhh gosh this thread makes me miss Phoenix for the holidays.

Bruder's library is so great, and the way he talks about it is really, really fun to listen to. Little pretension, lots of heart, he once said architecture for him is "trying to make the poetic from the prosaic". Lovely.

Also in Scottsdale (along with the rich plastic ladies) is the Scottsdale contemporary art museum, not sure of the name, but also by Bruder - a gallery made via renovating a former movie theater. I saw a Wolfgang Laib show there and the spaces were great for presenting him, plus a permanent James Turrell room. It is adjacent to the Scottsdale civic center by Bernie Gonzales - much changed from when I was a kid playing around there, but his library is definitely one of the major influences that led me to a life in architecture.

Man I gotta get back to the desert soon.

Nov 29, 05 9:19 am  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

i love rick joy's work too. steven holl just built a residential house here in paradise valley but it's not open to public. The scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art is a great work of architecture and they typically have a lot of architectural exhibitions.

Nov 29, 05 11:57 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

man i really miss phx. but most of all i miss having beers at four peaks.

Nov 29, 05 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

man i really miss phx. but most of all i miss having beers at four peaks.

liberty bell - its the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art [SMOCA].

i can't wait to move back out west.

Nov 29, 05 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the west needs a bossman

Nov 29, 05 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I recall beers on south mountain....there is the stone castle at the base of the mountain...unique...

Nov 30, 05 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I don't remeber fake blonde....I do remember the evential left hand turn...on camel back....(the octarian...who was looking for action)

Nov 30, 05 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

by the time i get to phoenix
she'll be rising
she'll see the letter i left on the bedroom door
she'll laugh when she reads the part that says im leavin
cause i've left that girl so many times before

Nov 30, 05 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Nov 30, 05 10:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: