Archinect
anchor

No Drawings/no details...just do it!!!

reverseplan

My contractors and my Clients fell that they can manage electricals and
and other working details without a drawing...plus since my client isnt paying much he insists i must not waste time on drawings ..just sketch it out to the contractors,Verbal instructions #*&^^>>>..

which is fine by me..but i hate to see me do that!!!!!

Nov 22, 05 1:33 am
Mission St.

my biggest concern would be: who's liable if something gets built f'ed up? as long as it isn't you... (and the whatever is built to everyone's satisfaction), no worries.

Nov 22, 05 1:50 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Don't they have building codes or a permit process where you live?

Nov 22, 05 7:38 am  · 
 · 
norm

my $00.02
most contractors are perfectly capable of working out the electrical, and most details. in an ideal, ego-less world this would be called collaboration. you, or we, need to pay attention to the details that matter, the ones that make a difference. as chrissy hynde said...it's not how many notes you play, it's if you can play even one that rocks my world. we as a profession are guilty of over detailing, which invariably costs the owners $$$. (my biggest pet peeve is head jamb and sill details.) there are bad contractors out there, and that's another issue - but your time would be better spent helping your client select a good contractor than working out some expensive details that in the end won't matter.

Nov 22, 05 8:38 am  · 
 · 
reverseplan

a small place for a show room interiors...

well i think building codes wouldnt matter in this case...
....well norm 's suggesion/views expressed are definately welcomed..

thanks..

Nov 22, 05 9:28 am  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

if the expectations are clear with fewer drawings, let them run with it.

mission st is right, however - if everybody gets hauled into court, have you documented what you're doing enough that it gives you some standing when the fingers get pointed? this doesn't mean that you have to detail everything ad infinitum, merely that (even through written description) the design is clearly communicated and quantities, level of finish, quality/standards, schedule, and performance expectations are established.

your client may not want you to spend too much time on documents but when there are problems they'll look to you for reasons why. guaranteed.

Nov 22, 05 9:42 am  · 
 · 
silverlake

i like working this way. a lot more than i expected is worked out in the field easier. saves a lot of time wasted on working out nice drawings that aren't necessary, and leaves a lot of room for 'improv' which i'm really finding an interesting method....

you can always cover your ass w/ generic notes such as 'all work must conform to current codes' or 'all installation must meet manufacturer's instructions' etc. if the contractor is licensed he's not going to fuck anything up because of the accountability.

btw, this was schindler's working method. he just did the minimum drawing set to get through city and then worked everything else out in the field.

Nov 22, 05 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I find that often a very simple overlay play that has been greyed is just fine for most contractors and clients when it comes to electrical as long as it is not too complicated. I agree that we can tend to over do it when a design / build approach to elec / mech on the residential scale is very appropriate and everyone can review and sign-off on the document.

Nov 22, 05 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I absolutely agre with the opinion that you can get by doing less drawing and working things out with field sketches, it saves everyone money and time for the most part. However! In my experience this only works with a contractor you know/trust/have worked with in the past. Or one who really strikes you as a team playeer and honest person, not someone who's gonna cry lawsuit if a dispute comes up.

So in any case, document well what decisions are made and why and who should take ultimate responsibility for them.

Nov 22, 05 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
ret

we used to do that in a tiny office i worked with. Almost no drawings at all, and everyone would be on site for most of the day.
Nevertheless we kept meeting reports (site visits/phone instructions/etc etc) which were signed by the architect, client and contractors every friday before the end of the day.
That way the client/contractor couldnt come back and say he/she did'nt say something.

Nov 22, 05 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

thank god the contractor is liable where i work instead of the architects cuz that scenario is far too scary.

it is probably ok for interiors as long as you have a record of decisions, and get the inspector to check the work...basically, don't forget where the buck stops.

Nov 22, 05 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

if im a client and the window isnt installed right and i get water damage and my kid gets asthma from the mold, im coming after everyone involved. specially the rich architects.

Nov 22, 05 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

as long as you have a good laywer...

Nov 22, 05 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
reverseplan

"as long as you have a good laywer..." mdler ,point taken.

Nov 23, 05 1:01 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

actually class action lawsuits against mold are becoming quite common. this is primarily hitting big builders at the moment. but if a lawsuit is coming down, everyone involved is a target. so make sure your contractor is installing windows and building wrap etc to manufacturer specs or you could be in a world of hurt.

Nov 25, 05 5:30 am  · 
 · 
reverseplan

of couse vado since i am not giving specific detail drawings ...i will make sure that the details are sketched out and the contractor has understood them...quality assured...I will be on site 24x7 for crucial details...i have to...

Nov 25, 05 8:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: